Re: Joker's trick

Even better Merkle can now hide entire fleets in tps. Lol

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Problem: you press the teleport button, the server removes your robot from the source zone, the client tells the server when it's done loading with the other zone, the server puts you on the terrain on the other side. If this wouldn't happen like this, people who have slow computers/connection and are loading slow would be exposed to attacks while they don't even see their robot.

Best solution for this is remove the 'limbo state' , your exposure to attack can be solved by other means, like being invisible for a short time on that other side.

RIP PERPETUUM

28 (edited by Merkle 2014-01-22 21:22:06)

Mr. Zoom you never said if we can do it or not.

I ask as this is very similar to a "problem" that Eve had, yet it was used, everyone knew about it, yet it took about 4 years to get fixed.   In the mean time safety was quite easy.

I'm sure its not easy, but if you have a flag you go through no matter what happens, period.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

29 (edited by Burial 2014-01-22 21:23:49)

That wouldn't work, it's basically the same as invulnerability buff we have now. When someone loads islands 1-2 minutes and server spits him to the other side of the teleport the second his command to jump reaches the servers, he will be exposed to gunfire well before his loading screen finishes most of the time.

What would work: When someone loses connection(closes client, client crashes, pulls network cable, ISP turns connection off) while in black terminal, he has few minutes to come back or he will be spitted out on the other side of the teleporter. No idea how easy or hard coding that would be.

Burial wrote:

That wouldn't work, it's basically the same as invulnerability buff we have now. When someone loads islands 1-2 minutes and server spits him to the other side of the teleport the second his command to jump reaches the servers, he will be exposed to gunfire well after his loading screen finishes most of the time.

It won't be exposed to gunfire, if no one can see the bot.

RIP PERPETUUM

They have a few minutes to jump back in, drop there timer, and do the process all over again.

Yay!

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

and he will

Ville wrote:

Even better Merkle can now hide entire fleets in tps. Lol

DEV Zoom wrote:

It's possible that something changed that makes you *see* that black terminal, which is basically the "teleport limbo", but the limbo state has been there from the beginning.

I know parts of the teleport mechanic were drastically changed twice and reviewed to be tweaked 3 times. All before gamma.

I just want to make sure that the same reasons the changes were made that gave us the system today. are all taken in to thought when fixing it now.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Lemon: the teleport tweaks you talk about happened to fix the issue where we don't know how long the client is loading, and only put you on the terrain when it's done. The problem we have now is exactly because of this.

Removing this would get us back to square one, where players are only secure for the length of the syndicate protection timer. If they don't load during that time, tough luck.

Ok, solution proposal #3:

You can't teleport while you're in combat, but NPCs won't aggro while you have molecular instability.
This means you can escape from NPCs if you pay attention, however PvP teleport camps are deadly.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Lemon: the teleport tweaks you talk about happened to fix the issue where we don't know how long the client is loading, and only put you on the terrain when it's done. The problem we have now is exactly because of this.

Removing this would get us back to square one, where players are only secure for the length of the syndicate protection timer. If they don't load during that time, tough luck.

How do these island to island jumps differ from internals.. This exploit only works isle to isle from my small bit of testing.. Even dropping people on the island instantly and just increasing Syndicate protection will work.

Liquidus wrote:

How do these island to island jumps differ from internals.. This exploit only works isle to isle from my small bit of testing.. Even dropping people on the island instantly and just increasing Syndicate protection will work.

Internals are just a simple relocation, there is no loading, no sending you to a different server, etc.

Exploit works anywhere.  Even through mobile tps.  :-)

39 (edited by Merkle 2014-01-22 22:44:53)

Correct it works anywhere you want it to.

I'm going to call it a feature just for tonight.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

DEV Zoom wrote:

You can't teleport while you're in combat, but NPCs won't aggro while you have molecular instability.
This means you can escape from NPCs if you pay attention, however PvP teleport camps are deadly.

I really hope you know what your implying here, and how dangerous that this will truly be.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

DEV Zoom wrote:

I don't mind this at all. After all it's emergent gameplay not your fault. Scout ahead if you want to commit to a pvp situation.

RIP PERPETUUM

42 (edited by Burial 2014-01-22 23:11:32)

@Zoom:

It alleviates the problem slightly on same island jumps since after jump, players have some time to lock the target and make him unable to jump forward. Nonetheless, people jumping on internals die anyway after couple of jumps.

It has zero effect on interisland jumps. The instability ends on point with protection and the target can jump back and perform the exploit without anyone being able to lock and aggress him.

It does make camping few teles quite appealing though. Camp some gate on Beta that leads to Gamma and when you see a Scarab, pop him. If you see someone bigger than you just jump to another island and do the exploit - completely safe. What I'm pointing out here is that it doesn't fix the issue well.

43 (edited by Jita 2014-01-22 23:09:52)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Inda wrote:

Zoom, this is happening after patch isnt it ? So there should be a solution.

No, this has been like this forever, but people (and we) only found out how it can be abused just now.

So just make a post calling it an exploit and 30 day ban anyone using it after that.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

44 (edited by Burial 2014-01-22 23:12:15)

Can it be proven anyway or just he-said-she-said?

Burial: right, I completely forgot that you can't lock someone with syndicate protection.

Anyway to keep the mechanic as it is, but if you jump island with a pvp flag the server automatically places your bot on terrain after few second delay? Sucks for slow computers and internet connections, but such is the life of a pvper. It can still be used for disappearing haulers, but at least bots can be killed in pvp again.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

My client crashed.

I thought I'd log in and be in terminal, and surprise... I wasn't and I got to *** merkle's cam with mah mighty seth of doom.

Sorry Hunter, there's no conspiracy here.

Shadowmine wrote:

Anyway to keep the mechanic as it is, but if you jump island with a pvp flag the server automatically places your bot on terrain after few second delay? Sucks for slow computers and internet connections, but such is the life of a pvper. It can still be used for disappearing haulers, but at least bots can be killed in pvp again.

Unfortunately there is no if/else option for this, the server either puts you down on the other side immediatelly or it waits for the client.

We can play with the states and flags that are in relation to this issue: "in combat" status, PvP, syndicate protection, molecular instability, or something new that's similar to these.

This breaks the game, please state its an exploit and we will start fraps engagements and move on.

Because starting to ban people is always a great solution. roll