1 (edited by Burial 2013-11-18 00:09:52)

Topic: My solution to Spark Teleports

Since it seems like a hot topic and just making one new thread per day doesn't cut it for me anymore(forum PVP, best PVP), I thought I'd share my ideas I've had over the time I've had the pleasure to play this simulator.

Basically my solution is simple:
DELETE SPARK TELEPORTATION COMPLETELY

Don't reply yet, please keep on reading.

Basically if that were to happen then traveling would become a major PITA. What I suggest to soften it is this:
1. Ease general transportation: Standard beacons 1U a piece so smaller bots can carry more.
2. Ease Alpha transportation: More teleport connections on Alpha islands.
3. Ease Gamma transportation: Velocity structures on gamma.

What it archieves is that it removes all the "magic" from transportation and brings the old spying for enemy and such back. If someone sees someone go one way, theres good chance he will soon come back and that means there's some chances for PVP. The small modifications will help to easen the transportation burden considerably.

Re: My solution to Spark Teleports

Why do your threads never get the mass following of Ville's Threads.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

+1

Burial wrote:

Since it seems like a hot topic and just making one new thread per day doesn't cut it for me anymore(forum PVP, best PVP), I thought I'd share my ideas I've had over the time I've had the pleasure to play this simulator.

Basically my solution is simple:
DELETE SPARK TELEPORTATION COMPLETELY

Don't reply yet, please keep on reading.

Basically if that were to happen then traveling would become a major PITA. What I suggest to soften it is this:
1. Ease general transportation: Standard beacons 1U a piece so smaller bots can carry more.
2. Ease Alpha transportation: More teleport connections on Alpha islands.
3. Ease Gamma transportation: Velocity structures on gamma.

What it archieves is that it removes all the "magic" from transportation and brings the old spying for enemy and such back. If someone sees someone go one way, theres good chance he will soon come back and that means there's some chances for PVP. The small modifications will help to easen the transportation burden considerably.

The problem is that the resources arent available to add in new structures or items or mods, until after steam release at best. So any practical solutions to balancing SpT need to require little in the way of coding.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

The problem is that the resources arent available to add in new structures or items or mods, until after steam release at best. So any practical solutions to balancing SpT need to require little in the way of coding.

Why add new item's, the teleport system exists already, lets just re-work it somewhat. Walls were derived form the plant mechanic were they not ? Could they not do something similar with TP's ?

Not sure how their server is built up, but I'd say changing their teleport connections and Standard beacon volume to 1U is probably easily done.

What most likely requires a bit of more coding effort is the velocity aura tower, but that could easily be stalled with "soon(tm)".

7 (edited by Blocker 2013-11-18 01:04:26)

Burial wrote:

Not sure how their server is built up, but I'd say changing their teleport connections and Standard beacon volume to 1U is probably easily done.

What most likely requires a bit of more coding effort is the velocity aura tower, but that could easily be stalled with "soon(tm)".

A reduction in cool down timers and volume would make TP's better I agree. Maybe both a combination of reduction of sparks to max 3 as Estamel suggested plus a re-work of the TP system would be acceptable to the majority of players and resolve the issues concerning beta's ?

The main issue I see with gamma's is movement within the gamma island itself, maybe seeing as you need to build all structures yourself on gamma we could have the ability to construct highways OR a structure (teleport tower?)that allows squad members to teleport to stations where said tower have been constructed, with the use of a TP beacon I might add.

I know Shadow suggested they may not have the resources to implement new items, but as the player structure mechanic exists maybe it's not so much work? I dunno, we really need some input from Dev's on what's doable and what's not.

Blocker: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … tructures/

Do these exist in-game now ? I don't have anything to do with gama design/layout anymore.

I used to do it, but became too much like a second job. Which is one of the reasons why (after 7 years)  I don't play EvE anymore.

I have an idea whit this change off teleport sizes what if we change all beta internal tp to Teleport beacons!
Meaning u can jump to it but not from it.   so once u jumped in u will have to fire up a nother tp to go back.

I dint think this tru...  at first it seem cool but i can see some problems whit it aswell yikes

Just an idea!

11 (edited by Burial 2013-11-18 01:13:12)

Blocker wrote:

Do these exist in-game now ? I don't have anything to do with gama design/layout anymore.

I used to do it, but became too much like a second job. Which is one of the reasons why (after 7 years)  I don't play EvE anymore.

The masking aura structure already works with the same mechanics. They would just have to add another structure that gives velocity, but mechanics themselves wouldn't change.

Burial wrote:
Blocker wrote:

The masking aura structure already works with the same mechanics. They would just have to add another structure that gives velocity, but mechanics themselves wouldn't change.

ahh ok I see, yeah that would work too.. The boost would need to be significant as the distance needed to be travelled varies depending on terrain, but those sort of details could be fine tuned over time..

Estamel Tharch0n wrote:

I have an idea whit this change off teleport sizes what if we change all beta internal tp to Teleport beacons!
Meaning u can jump to it but not from it.   so once u jumped in u will have to fire up a nother tp to go back.

I dint think this tru...  at first it seem cool but i can see some problems whit it aswell yikes

Just an idea!

All ideas should be welcomed and encouraged. You may not agree with someone's ideas and that's fine but it should not discourage people from suggesting ideas..

As far as your suggestion goes, I guess some adjustments could be done. I personally don't have any issues with the internal beta telepots at the moment. I think Burial's idea of reducing the cool down and volume of TP's would be a good move. If you feel that beta internal teleports need something done I'm sure that could be discussed further.

I think to many people are getting hung up on this 1 subject at the cost of looking at the whole movement system that covers:
Spark TP'ing
Mobile TPs
normal TPs
Highways
TP network Layout

Nothing ANYONE says will work properly if you dont take into consideration how each individual part of the transportation system fits into the bigger picture.

If you want a proper designed system look at how you want the whole thing to work, then work backwards to see how you can achieve that with each facet of this games transportation system.

The situation we find our selves in today is due to the above not being done.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

I think to many people are getting hung up on this 1 subject at the cost of looking at the whole movement system that covers:
Spark TP'ing
Mobile TPs
normal TPs
Highways
TP network Layout

Nothing ANYONE says will work properly if you dont take into consideration how each individual part of the transportation system fits into the bigger picture.

If you want a proper designed system look at how you want the whole thing to work, then work backwards to see how you can achieve that with each facet of this games transportation system.

I agree Obi, the entire transport system needs to be reviewed. The problem is that would be a major undertaking.. However they may be able to implement a revamp to the transport system a bit at a time ?

16 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2013-11-18 04:45:39)

Blocker wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

Spark TP'ing
Mobile TPs
normal TPs
Highways
TP network Layout

I agree Obi, the entire transport system needs to be reviewed. The problem is that would be a major undertaking.. However they may be able to implement a revamp to the transport system a bit at a time ?

Oh yea a bit at a time is cool but that planning for how things fit into the grand scheme must be done.

Heres a questions to every one:

Why are mobile TPs & spark TPing such a must use for getting around this game ?

edit:
Why is it less desirable to use normal TPs & Highways to move over a number of islands?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

Why are mobile TPs & spark TPing such a must use for getting around this game ?

Because the game's static TPs have static paths, while mobile TPs and sparks let you pick where you want to go.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Don't dare to touch SpT on alpha. There's no pvp here. SpT moves no resources, only allows you to control bots somewhere else. No one whined about bloodsparks before with much higher player base. Why is SpT such a big problem suddenly? You still need to bring your toys physically.

There is already an aura emitters, and there is already some form of velocity aura on highways. Just rework that aura a little to make it work with emitter and voila, no even need to create a new building type nor copypasting old one. Everyone could then just build additional emitter on their own.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I agree with Burial!

But I also love sparks = instant action !
I like this because you dont really need to walk in hours, the forces is quicly change they can act or not then go back to "work". (My time is soo limited to play, and if the walking period is too much I cant play anymore.)

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I personally don't think teleports need a change.

The only thing I would perhaps consider useful is a single use personal teleport beacon that's 1U.

Changing charging time is going to effect Pvp.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."