1 (edited by Burial 2013-08-20 21:14:08)

Topic: Velocity aura structures

Would work like Masking aura does.

Used on Gamma for highways and the likes.

T1 adds 20kmph, T2 adds 30kmph and T3 adds 40kmph.

Re: Velocity aura structures

the idea is good, still too much speed boost.

RIP PERPETUUM

3 (edited by Burial 2013-08-17 14:10:02)

I think especially on gammas, theres no such thing as too much speed. Just got to figure out whats the best speed that doesn't lag out too much near structures. Double the speed should be minimum boost.

- No internal teleports
- No highways
- Setup cost and work

4 (edited by Ronon 2013-08-17 14:35:56)

Burial, I hear you about the lack of internal teleports and the lack of highways. So, I really like this idea but I think with those percentages for a boost increase it is a bit OP. Let me give an example of a typical detector build using a castel, so the base speed is roughly 102 kph. That means the new speed would be:

T1 Aura: 204 kph
T2 Aura: 255 kph
T3 Aura: 306 kph

That's pretty bloody fast, and then add on a T4 Velocity Nexus module... and we just have the potential for some fun, cool, but potentially OP stuff happening here. I can only imagine what a Cam Mk2 would be going at with a prototype T4 Velocity nexus as well. Hmmm, let's take a triple plated Mesmer Mk2 as another example. I'd have to double check, but I am pretty sure my speed is roughly 44-45 kph. To be conservative I am going to use 44kph, so now using the same boosts for a T3 Aura and suddenly I have a Mesmer Mk2 that can run at 132 kph. I am just not sure I like the idea that a heavy mech could run down a light bot who is not getting the aura effects. Again, I am not bothering to calculate what the addition of a T4 Velocity Nexus module would be should the aura and the nexus module stack in their effects.

Might I suggest some more humble numbers of 50% / 75% / 100% respectively? Using the above example of the triple plated Mesmer my new speed with a T3 Aura that has a 100% increase bonus to speed would be 88. I'd be pretty happy with that. Still huge boosts to speed (and some people may still end up saying this is OP), without going into Ludicrous Speed. lol

Speed would be a huge advantage for defenders as aura just boosts there players living there.

RIP PERPETUUM

6 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-08-17 16:23:25)

It's a simple to implement solution to something that has been on the wish list since before Gamma Frontier was even released - player built highways.

Its neat in it's simplicity but I rather forgo the aura in the short term in favour of the longer term solution that can be used by both attacker and defender - the player built highway.

50% 75% 100%.  Simple, please implement after fixing sparks.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Sounds good.

8%, 16%, 24% would be more like it, but player-built highways (make it a special concrete layer) and increased speed and reach of the network on alpha would be preferred in my opinion.

I thought one of the key design features of highways was that speed increase was not a percentage. So maybe:

T1: 36kph
T2: 54kph
T3: 72kph

11 (edited by Burial 2013-08-19 00:25:56)

Doek wrote:

8%, 16%, 24% would be more like it, but player-built highways (make it a special concrete layer) and increased speed and reach of the network on alpha would be preferred in my opinion.

That's way too small increase.

@Ludlow: That would not be a bad idea too, robots wouldn't be able to get absurdly fast.

I was basing the % values on slow bots, since I really would like a way to get them faster. 40kmph heavy going 80 isn't bad, but of course 140 going Cameleon going 280 is bad. Maybe a fixed amount is the best way to go.

T1 adds 20, T2 adds 30 and T3 adds 40.

Updated first post with more realistic numbers.

+1

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

+1

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

15 (edited by Heliaso 2013-08-21 01:55:15)

You can see the final speed for each velocity emitter and the speed gain.

http://i.imgur.com/5gbXGbX.jpg?1

- Slow bot get a big speed boost

- Fast bot get a little speed boost

Of course , we can change the values.

It needs to be more complex.  It should read what is in your cargo hold and give you and penalty.

Also if your bot is green, instant -30 kph.

All blue bots get a conversion factor into MPH.

And on Wednesdays, reds to go over 9000 KPH.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13