Re: Epriton to be removed from gamma islands

@Zoom

Is their anything about how moving Epitron to beta will have a direct impact on new players I can clear up for you?

Yes, 1 things will not solve it all however it is always good to know what is broken and be fixing 1 thing at a time to hopefully be getting to where we want to be. I fully understand limitations on being able to deliver developed solutions. Hell much the back lash from this change can be handled with self control from the players.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Lemon: I don't know what your definition of "new player" is, but I'm talking about day one players, whose concern is less about betas and epriton, and more about getting their first light bot and not getting killed by rank 1 NPCs.

Trying to get a mech or t3/4 equipment hardly qualifies a player new in my book.

278 (edited by Burial 2013-09-09 00:44:48)

I understand your points, but the problem is that there's simply no reason to go and live on Betas right now because Gammas outshine Beta's industrial capabilities by a long shot and Alphas outshine them because of the safety of the islands combined with only slightly weaker combat and industry.

Only part where Betas shine are Rank 5 spawns and those are probably not something a newbie would want to farm anyway, meaning Newbies are just flat out better off on Alpha. I didn't mention Beta missions here because after the recent nerf of removing chain explosions between waves, even Rank 4 spawns on Alpha generate better results when you take in the time/cost of tokens.

If no-one has any reasons to try anything on Betas and Gamma sieges are only PVP opportunities, the game becomes stagnant. I enjoy Gamma sieges but a lot of players have quit from my side only because the lack of PVP. I'm sure the number from other sides is even bigger lol.

But who should live on Betas then? Whenever a newbie sets itself up there, it attracts a lot of attention and they just get slaughtered by the vets who have advantage in EP, experience and equipment. If it stays like it is right now, Betas stay deserted wastelands and only PVP these newbies can do is Gamma sieges.

I agree that moving Epriton to Betas is not the most sophisticated solution but it's something that will help the game to stir up some conflict in the coming months. Betas now again have some meaning and could potentially support whole corporations not wanting to build on Gammas. The game is stagnant right now and something needs to change.

Lemon, you might say now that the change should be siege bots, but that doesn't fix the issue of Betas at all. Still useless and still only PVP for newbies would be on Gammas.

(I remind you Tuxes suggestion of removing Epriton from Gamma structures btw, maybe after this post some people can see the wisdom there.)

279 (edited by Celebro 2013-09-08 15:39:07)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Trying to get a mech or t3/4 equipment hardly qualifies a player new in my book.

I have several month old, and even a few week old players in my corporation living in gamma , it does effect them if you remove this essential ore.

Although this may seem bias, these new players have taken the risk to move early on to a pvp area of your game, free choice and all that.

Now with this change its not good enough that they have taken this step, they have to participate in what will be the most dangerous pvp areas competing for high tech gear and mechs or grind enough NIC to afford epriton or the gear thats uses this material.

Edit: I understand that you are trying to promote more pvp, but we all know the amount of players we have is the key issue, aside from the infinite supply of ore that can supply 1000s of players, is available on all islands.

RIP PERPETUUM

These newbies already benefit from massive indy bonuses from MPC. What benefits anyone trying to live in the most dangerous island type Beta?

281 (edited by Celebro 2013-09-08 15:57:28)

Burial wrote:

These newbies already benefit from massive indy bonuses from MPC. What benefits anyone trying to live in the most dangerous island type Beta?

Noted: the MPC bonuses are there but only because we could mine Epri on gamma to build those facilities.

Bear in mind they will increase the reward factor on beta, but that also brings more even more risk than now. So risk and rewards remain somewhat same as before and not much has changed in driving players to beta.

Edit: IMO this change that does not justify the means.

RIP PERPETUUM

Epriton on Beta only is big enough reward to make the risk worthwhile simply because Beta is the only island type where you can get it. Move it back to Gamma even in small quantities and that relationship will be messed up again.

The main reason behind the change is to make Betas more popular and stir up some more conflict. If you think just SAP loots and outpost ownership is enough then you are wrong and proof is visible at this very moment in live.

283 (edited by Celebro 2013-09-08 16:21:02)

Burial wrote:

The main reason behind the change is to make Betas more popular and stir up some more conflict. If you think just SAP loots and outpost ownership is enough then you are wrong and proof is visible at this very moment in live.

I get the idea Burial. Why not make a new material exclusive to beta that does have importance but not us crucial as eprition.

Like I suggested before new ore to build NPC seeded stuff like:

Terraforming beacon charges
Terraforming module charges
Construction charges
Wall charges and walls
terraformer beacons and modules
proximity probes

Whatever else is in development for the future.

The main problem is not Epriton on gamma it's the mechanics in gamma that can make it quite safe, but we still don't know what will happen with 1000+ players ingame, so this for me is more a 'hit and miss change let's see if we get right this time' smile

RIP PERPETUUM

About a year ago, Epriton was only found on Beta. Epi was available between 10-14 nic per on the market, and in large enough quantities to support prodcucers. Mod prices were adjusted accordingly. T4 wasn't the defacto standard for all players. Ninja miners were rampant. Big corps had epi ops when needed. People have just gotten lazy, enjoying the no risk, 100% safe. afk mining of epriton.

It worked before, it will work again... Players will improvise, adapt and overcome...

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

About a year ago, Epriton was only found on Beta. Epi was available between 10-14 nic per on the market, and in large enough quantities to support prodcucers. Mod prices were adjusted accordingly. T4 wasn't the defacto standard for all players. Ninja miners were rampant. Big corps had epi ops when needed. People have just gotten lazy, enjoying the no risk, 100% safe. afk mining of epriton.

It worked before, it will work again... Players will improvise, adapt and overcome...

While this is true it was before both sparks and detectors. Reduce the availability of sparks on beta down to two and you limit the problem while maintaining some of spark's benefit.

There were sure as hell detectors when I was ninja mining epriton... The effect of spark is yet to be determined..

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

If you reduce it down to 2, people will just use 2 detectors instead of 1 to go over the islands and Interzone in from Alpha2. That's a lot more lethal than undocking from Beta terminal.

Like Shadow said, the effect is yet to be seen but keeping an eye on one terminal doesn't sound like hard job to me.

288 (edited by Xadhoom 2013-09-08 19:17:25)

limiting to two how does that fit into the skill....

plus it's a really dumb idea

before you make suggestions please think of the mechanics all the way through.

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

289 (edited by Homer J Simpson 2013-09-08 23:51:32)

The move of Epi to Bates just seems like a knee jerk reaction. im cool with islands have some ore types that other islands dont have.

I would LOVE the devs to instead of just saying "Hey were moving XYZ to or form this island" to actually getting to the balancing of these island types on a grander scale not just in 1 area.

Back when Titan ore was removed from Beta (to alpha only) the begest hassle was transport between the island types. Now i know we have the scarab but its ability to haul the amount of materials needed for real mass manufacturing is  far cry from what is needed.
And a far cry from what Gamma corps & market traders will be needing to transport around.

DEVS Give us a real Freighter Mech:
make it slow make it only able to haul from station to station hell .. restrict it so it cant use mobile TPs but give it a cargo capacity of 1000s of m3.
That way changes like this make the job of transporting basic market goods around the game world better.

290 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-09-09 09:11:50)

Homer J Simpson wrote:

... the begest hassle was transport between the island types. Now i know we have the scarab but its ability to haul the amount of materials needed for real mass manufacturing is  far cry from what is needed.
And a far cry from what Gamma corps & market traders will be needing to transport around.

In the last six weeks or so I have been building A LOT. I have used over 500 million titan ore (18-20 Scarab loads) compared with less than 30 million Epri (about 2 Scarab loads).

Of course, what I'm building will effect the proportions required but nonetheless you can't equate the titan hauling issue with the epriton one. Its not in the same ball park.

291 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-09-09 10:25:58)

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

Of course, what I'm building will effect the proportions required but nonetheless you can't equate the titan hauling issue with the epriton one. Its not in the same ball park.

yes epriton is a major part in production.

this is a list if resources needed for MPCs. not telling exactly wht structures and what quantity and for what reason.
but you see in the distribution what is needed in units and volume. epriton is the major part after liquizit.
http://i.imgur.com/ZFeJjXs.png

this are 100 of each T4 weapons and 10 of each mk1 bots (all of cource under gamma production).
its a little less worse for epri, but ist still one of the major parts. and transportation is defenently a big issue.
http://i.imgur.com/gKaZTTE.png

or to put it in other numbers:
for these two examples epriton is 20-26% of the total resources volume.

Why not have a 'time out' on random mineral spawns - after say 5 days they de-spawn and spawn elsewhere - that would resolve the issue of fields spawning under NPC's - give it a few days and the field 'moves on' ...

293 (edited by Burial 2013-09-18 13:32:29)

Yes, that would solve the issue of nublets having to move to the edges of the island hunting Titan too because everyone had mined out the fields closer to terminals.

When I saw this subforum had new messages I was hoping it's Zoom saying when this change is taking place. big_smile Soon?

So I'm not sure if certain people have figured this out yet or not, even though it has been stated multiple times by multiple people.

Stop asking for new game assets, the DEV team does not have an artist on staff.  This is not a possibility at the moment, SO STOP ASKING FOR IT.  I get it, we all want new assets, me included.  New bots/mods/ etc etc, but as of right now it is off of the table.  Hopefully steam will bring in more players, which will increase revenue streams for the DEVs and allow then to expand.  But as of now it is an impossibility, so stop harping on about it.  Anyone who is purposing new game assest as a solution are wasting everyone's time, and arguing for a no reason.  Work with what we have, cause that's all we are going to get for a while.