Re: Spark Teleports

Ninja mining within sight of a publib beta terminal isn't ninja mining. Its suicide. But so is flagging up outside a public beta terminal...

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

777 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-06 17:49:43)

Shadowmine wrote:

Ninja mining within sight of a publib beta terminal isn't ninja mining. Its suicide. But so is flagging up outside a public beta terminal...

The detector won't be in detection range of the terminal. The detector has been logged off on the island previously. These are not new tactics in Perpetuum Shadow.

The only warning they potentially will have is a mass of people sparking to the terminal. You have either 120 seconds to logout or escape the island if you cannot respond to the force (which there is no limit to). In 120 seconds (assuming perfect response time) a miner outside of detection range of the terminal can easily be tackled.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

778 (edited by Burial 2013-09-06 17:52:01)

Gunner wrote:

Burial, You in particular abuse the spark system so you and your alts can manage all the stations and loots and timers, etc, etc ,etc.   A couple accounts should not be able to do that without the cost of time and travel or some other cost.

Of course you want it to stay this way so you dont have to "do" anything.

Your time is over.

Commenting me while not having a clue how I play. Last time I looted a SAP was atleast a month ago. The time before last time was equally long.

I don't manage stations, I don't loot SAPs, I get times only when outpost needs defending. Only Spark teleports I have on Betas are the Beta terminals.

Sundial wrote:

The only warning they potentially will have is a mass of people sparking to the terminal. You have either 120 seconds to logout or escape the island if you cannot respond to the force (which there is no limit to). In 120 seconds (assuming perfect response time) a miner outside of detection range of the terminal can easily be tackled.

Serves them right for mining that close to a Beta terminal. lol

You're welcome to this hot mess.

I'm not going to bother typing out the 3 paragraph explaination about how reducing the epi mining area to just beta is going to make it 200% easier to scout, or how 'fast travel' is going to make it very easy for harrasment squads to prevent players from mining.

I'll just sit back and wait for the complaints to roll in.

@sun/ville -  just enjoy the ganking now and the 'told you so' later smile

780 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-06 17:58:19)

Burial wrote:
Sundial wrote:

Serves them right for mining that close to a Beta terminal. lol

All you have to do is hold down the target / prevent it from logging off assuming you are the supperior force. Its not difficult for someone to log a cham mk2/troiar mk2 tackle out along with a detector on each beta1 island with a bit larger of population. People have been doing this for ages not new tactics in this game.

1. Login detector, find target
2. Login tackle, tackle target
3. Spark blob that island residents can't respond to
4. Gank target

EDIT:

This goes back to my original point about newer entities that can't respond as well as vets getting abused and ground out of the game...

Spark teleport may need a change, I don't know. I do know that ninja miners are gonna get ganked. Its the nature of the beast. With or without SpT.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

And if you have any kind of tanked termis, you can drop an armoured tp and be out before a gank squad can get to you or kill you...

783 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-06 18:06:36)

Shadowmine wrote:

And if you have any kind of tanked termis, you can drop an armoured tp and be out before a gank squad can get to you or kill you...

Will it really matter if you can almost never mine? If you can't mine and do industry, you can't afford to lose bots, you won't be able to last on beta.

New entities need some breathing room to grow else we will always have 30 people in general chat.

EDIT:

Yeah ninja miners will get ganked, it is the nature of the beast. I am not worried about ninja miners too much, I am worried about new beta entities being able to grow.

For those thinking that reducing the Epi harvest to a total of 3-4 termis loads per day will generate huge profits, it won't, it will just make production impossibly expensive.

That's not true that you can never mine. Just keep your eyes up and mine until enemy reaches certain threshold. Example, you mine on Beta2 and enemy is preparing in Beta terminal. Stop your operation for a moment when enemy reaches Beta2 island. If you are just worried that someone can't mine on beta at all due to enemy movement, then cooldown is not the right thread, you should voice the concern in the epriton moved to beta thread. tongue

Anyway Sundial, you are underestimating how clever some people can be after few months of playing. It's not hard to mine on beta if you smarten up. With the growing Epriton price, it's not probably too bad even if you loose few bots here and there.

T4 and Mk2 will not be the "standard" fit anymore. Epriton will have value again. I think you underestimate new players. They will improvise, adapt, and overcome. STC was a good example of that.

787 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-06 18:16:48)

Burial wrote:

That's not true that you can never mine. Just keep your eyes up and mine until enemy reaches certain threshold. Example, you mine on Beta2 and enemy is preparing in Beta terminal. Stop your operation for a moment when enemy reaches Beta2 island. If you are just worried that someone can't mine on beta at all due to enemy movement, then cooldown is not the right thread, you should voice the concern in the epriton moved to beta thread. tongue

Anyway Sundial, you are underestimating how clever some people can be after few months of playing. It's not hard to mine on beta if you smarten up. With the growing Epriton price, it's not probably too bad even if you loose few bots here and there.

I am not worried about me, I am worried about newer groups of players being able to progress and grow in the game and one day become gamma entities even. You know one of the reasons we lost alot of entitites was because the cards were stacked against them, the vets were hungry for blood, they couldn't make enough use of their beta and either went back to alpha or quit the game. That was before we had spark teleport. Now imagine the same scenario if we did... It is not pretty.

Its not even only about mining, its about missions and ratting as well.

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand, increasing force projection will only serve to cut off more breathing room to new perspective powers in the game.

788 (edited by Burial 2013-09-06 18:21:15)

I understand the problem but a cooldown isn't helping them any more than it's hurting. Something needs to make the vets reluctant to aggress the noobs. Living on Alpha isn't so bad as you are trying to make it seem. Good spawn, decent production, not to mention complete safety over assets. Whenever someone goes to live on Betas, they are marking themselves with a bullseye though.

Burial wrote:

I understand the problem but a cooldown isn't helping them any more than it's hurting. Something needs to make the vets reluctant to aggress the noobs.

Now we are on the same page. We need solutions before the new population starts making a go at beta islands else history will repeat itself. Granted some groups of players have been stronger than others, but I feel like many of them were destroyed too quickly.

And now STC is here to make sure that doesn't happen. big_smile

Well, we started today with this post. This is one way, but at the same time I imagine it takes a lot of hours to implement. Hopefully someone can find a better solution..

Sundial wrote:
Burial wrote:

I understand the problem but a cooldown isn't helping them any more than it's hurting. Something needs to make the vets reluctant to aggress the noobs.

Now we are on the same page. We need solutions before the new population starts making a go at beta islands else history will repeat itself. Granted some groups of players have been stronger than others, but I feel like many of them were destroyed too quickly.

In reference to the corps " that were destroyed to quickly" i think you underestimate some of the Ego's that were/are present in this game ... i watch alliances break apart from things as small as people taking others sap loot. lol New corps need to tip toe around in this game or they become targets .... sad but true ...

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

This has really been the issue all along, and SpT just makes it worse.

Doesn't matter if it's STC, CIR, or M2S, if it boiles down to corp/alliances having the power to give or take away beta access to other corps, then the game is simply broken. Either it is allowing these corps/alliances to become too powerful or it's not allowing new corps suffcient opportunity to 'earn' their place.

Of course, I'm leaving alot out of this, because I simply don't have time to repeat myself.

The problem isn't that new corps don't have the ability to "earn" their place. The problem is that new corps don't take the time required to "earn" their place. The thought that you can start an acct and on day one go take your place on Beta is a fallicy.

If you want to do that day one, you ally with another corp or you sneak and hope for the best. Beta isn't a place for newbs who don't have a clue.

Merkle posted not long ago the problem. A new corp must establish themselves on Alpha before they should ever try to maintain a presence on Beta. And they will need to establish some sort of beta presence before going to gamma.I am pretty sure that every major corp in the game started that way. New corps should be no different. Hell there are plenty of vet Corps that STILL maintain a presence on alpha.

You must learn to walk before you can run...

Its gonna be possible to kill people no matter what you change, the question is should five guys be able to cover six islands instantly.

For me that's a no brainer.

Plain & simple your gonna have to remove Spark Teleport completely for power projection to be affected ... cooldowns do nothing

Are the Devs willing to go that far ?

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Even doing that, it only slows down the power projection for the time it takes an interzone to warm up....

The difference between a Inter-zone and a Spking is quite drastic  for power projection and response. Interzoning is not only vulnerable to being physically spotted in the game world but it also has a limit on how much force can move across it at any given moment.

Again this is not for the players who have multiple accounts and leverage cookie-cutter fits but for the none-hardcore stream-lined corps and their members.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

799 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-06 21:34:29)

Lemon wrote:

The difference between a Inter-zone and a Spking is quite drastic  for power projection and response. Interzoning is not only vulnerable to being physically spotted in the game world but it also has a limit on how much force can move across it at any given moment.

Again this is not for the players who have multiple accounts and leverage cookie-cutter fits but for the none-hardcore stream-lined corps and their members.

The main differences between interzone and SpT are their bottlenecks and where they can project power to.

Spark Teleport:
a. Must be able to dock at destination.
b. Must have set destination for spark teleporting at destination.
c. Must have bot ready at destination.
d. Must have 1000 nic lol
e. Destination must be an outpost within any range.

Interzone Teleport:
a. Must wait 180 second warmup time
b. Must wait 30 seconds between each individual player
c. Point a can be mitigated in advance by placing the teleport in advance. Placing in advance has drawbacks including being spotted by hostile forces and potentially wasting the teleport as well as potentially missing your target.
d. Point b can be mitigated in advance by setting up many interzones at once. Cost and distance restrictions between teleports is the limiting factor here. Of course you are even more likely to be spotted in this scenario.
e. Destination must be a teleport within range

All of SpT's power projection bottlenecks can be mitigated before power is projected (set your destination, have bots at destination) where as interzones provide no way to do this reasonably in advance without large tedious expenditures. The main advantage of interzones is the ability to project power to any teleport within range instead of any outpost that meets the restrictions of SpT. Regardless of this, SpT still comes out ahead for almost every use.

800 (edited by Arga 2013-09-06 21:37:23)

Sundial wrote:
Lemon wrote:

The main differences between interzone and SpT are their bottlenecks and where they can project power to.

Spark Teleport:
a. Must be able to dock at destination.
b. Must have set destination for spark teleporting at destination.
c. Must have bot ready at destination.
d. Must have 1000 nic lol
e. Destination must be an outpost within any range.

Interzone Teleport:
a. Must wait 180 second warmup time
b. Must wait 30 seconds between each individual player
c. Point a can be mitigated in advance by placing the teleport in advance. Placing in advance has drawbacks including being spotted by hostile forces and potentially wasting the teleport as well as potentially missing your target.
d. Point b can be mitigated in advance by setting up many interzones at once. Cost and distance restrictions between teleports is the limiting factor here. Of course you are even more likely to be spotted in this scenario.
e. Destination must be a teleport within range

All of SpT's power projection bottlenecks can be mitigated before power is projected (set your destination, have bots at destination) where as interzones provide no way to do this reasonably in advance without large tedious expenditures. The main advantage of interzones is the ability to project power to any teleport within range instead of any outpost that meets the restrictions of SpT. Regardless of this, SpT still comes out ahead for almost every use.

I think you forgot the combination of SpT and TP.  That is someone SpT into an outpost, then starting up a TP.

Allows a group to spark into the island, then straight to any internal TP without need an Inter-TP which is very bulky and expensive.

Edit: And they can have a large stockpile of TP's of both types in the outpost already