Re: Spark Teleports

Nothing has changed, we already went over the issue with bigger population and the consensus was that change isn't needed.

752 (edited by Gunner 2013-09-06 15:30:56)

lol "consensus"

9 out of the 10 people with active subs are lazy and want free travel

That is not a consensus.

Burial, You in particular abuse the spark system so you and your alts can manage all the stations and loots and timers, etc, etc ,etc.   A couple accounts should not be able to do that without the cost of time and travel or some other cost.

Of course you want it to stay this way so you dont have to "do" anything.

Your time is over.

4 hour timer on sparks is very fair IMO especially with the epi change.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

754 (edited by Gunner 2013-09-06 15:29:36)

Beta is gonna be a slaughter.  lol

no new people are going to even bother subbing after they lose their first mining bot.

Kapow

limiting free movement will help minimize this

755 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-06 15:33:24)

I will adapt to spark teleport for now while the population is low and its less apparent, but I firmly beleive if the population goes back up any new aspiring beta entities will be ground out of the game by easy fast travel, especially ones looking to live on beta 1 islands.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

That sums it all up right there.  Well said.

Sundial wrote:

I will adapt to spark teleport for now while the population is low and its less apparent, but I firmly beleive if the population goes back up any new aspiring beta entities will be ground out of the game by easy fast travel, especially ones looking to live on beta 1 islands.

Gunner wrote:

That sums it all up right there.  Well said.

Sundial wrote:

+1

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

758 (edited by Burial 2013-09-06 16:19:25)

Sundial wrote:

About aspiring beta entities: With the way current SAPs and outpost control work there's not much difference if Sparks are used or not. Both sides know when to come and participate, just because one has spark cooldown won't make him unable to come and defend/attack - but for some reason that's what people think happens. With 5-20 minute notice, a group of players can come from any corner on Alpha to any corner on Beta and with current SAP mechanics, they have a lot longer notice.

Here is a post I wrote about it btw: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/84090/#p84090

759 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-06 16:18:41)

Burial wrote:
Sundial wrote:

About aspiring beta entities: With the way current SAPs and outpost control work there's not much difference if Sparks are used or not. Both sides know when to come and participate, just because one has spark cooldown won't make him unable to come and defend/attack - but for some reason that's what people think happens. With 5-20 minute notice, a group of players can come from any corner on Alpha to any corner on Beta and with current SAP mechanics, they have a lot longer notice.

Not talking about saps, talking about hunting prey. Once they take the outpost and start operating on the island is when you will see the problems start.

760 (edited by Burial 2013-09-06 16:43:35)

It's something that has happend all the time even before sparking and will continue to happen with or without cooldown. Not much more work to suicide to Alpha2 and come from there. Beta2-s are a lot more appealing now after sparks though.

Anyway, I already suggested it way back to tie sparking to relations. Add faction relations and make each outpost require certain amount. If you are the aggressor and kill someone you loose some amount on the relations.

In the end it makes it so whenever you kill someone on Blue island, you have to either grind your blue relations up(which can be pain if you want to do it on betas and don't own outposts there) or slowly loose the ability to spark to blue outposts. Could even go as far as not being allowed to set home station to any blue terminal, hence not even being able to suicide there.

It was already suggested that one way to balance Alpha and Beta missions is to make it so that Alpha ones just gain lower relation gains and rewards. That would work well with the system I suggested because if your main goal is to gain back relations after gank, you would prefer to use Beta missions.

With that system, I think a lot of people would just not bother with faction relations on anything but the island they are using. For bonus sparks you would need corporation relations so even if your faction relation is low, you can still use it. The whole system would remove some mindless ganking and make gankers life harder if they can't set sparks conveniently.

761 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-06 16:50:19)

Burial wrote:

It's something that has happend all the time even before sparking, and will continue to happen with or without cooldown. Not much more work to suicide to Alpha2 and come from there. Beta2-s are a lot more appealing now after sparks though.

Anyway, I already suggested it way back to tie sparking to relations. Add faction relations and make each outpost require certain amount. If you are the aggressor and kill someone you loose some amount on the relations.

In the end it makes it so whenever you kill someone on Blue island, you have to either grind your blue relations up(which can be pain if you want to do it on betas and don't own outposts there) or slowly loose the ability to spark to blue outposts. Could even go as far as not being allowed to set home station to any blue terminal, hence not even being able to suicide there.

It was already suggested that one way to balance Alpha and Beta missions is to make it so that Alpha ones just gain lower relation gains and rewards. That would work well with the system I suggested because if your main goal is to gain back relations after gank, you would prefer to use Beta missions.

Yes it will continue to happen with or without SpT. However, since SpT all I need to do as a hunter is go drop a bunch of bots in each of the beta1 terminals, spark around or multibox detectors on the various islands, find a target, spark my squad of hunters to said beta1 terminal do the gank and get out. Basically, the ease at which you can respond to new intel and deploy a force to destroy a target is the thing spark teleport changed. It made it easy with a little preperation to project a force quickly onto a target.

I really like your relations idea btw. Problem is though now that we have moved PvP back to the betas people will complain that the only place they can PvP and not take a relations hit (gamma) is effectively immune to all but seige PvP. So in before posts about PvE rep grind, etc.

EDIT:

Not to mention we would need totally new agression mechanics.

Removing or limiting spark teleport isn't gonna stop miners getting ganked on Betas. If people wanna sit at TMB all day and hunt miners, they will. All the people that want spark teleport nerfed are just going to sit on betas hunting miners. They want to slow down any response to the point that they can get away safely. At least with the ability to spark there, gankers will have to commit knowing there could be a response coming from somewhere.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

763 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-06 17:10:18)

Shadowmine wrote:

Removing or limiting spark teleport isn't gonna stop miners getting ganked on Betas. If people wanna sit at TMB all day and hunt miners, they will. All the people that want spark teleport nerfed are just going to sit on betas hunting miners. They want to slow down any response to the point that they can get away safely. At least with the ability to spark there, gankers will have to commit knowing there could be a response coming from somewhere.

What I am saying is now instead of only being able to gank on one island at a time I can easily gank on all 3 with no difference. Force projection. You are assuming all entities are capable of responding with a signifigant force. Thats a big assumption.

The strong don't need anymore help to kill the weak which is exactly what SpT magnifies. Regardless if its STC or some gankers, it amplifies their power to respond to intel.

764 (edited by Burial 2013-09-06 17:17:45)

Just mentioning it here that detector shouldn't be able to get on an island unspotted, even less a full fledged gank squad. Keeping eye on a beta terminal is even easier than worrying about where exactly an interzone could pop in. Either way It's not very hard to detect people coming to your island nowadays thanks to probes.. If they then still leave bots on the field, full well knowing they can't fight back, there's no hope for them and will be continually harassed by anyone looking for easy kills.

Same thing happens without spark teleportation too btw. Detectors get around fast, but usually not undetected. Gank squads can move fast too. Only thing that kept it back in the older times was that people just didn't have their bots that spread out and not because lack of spark teleportation.

I agree, it's slightly more convenient to use sparking, but for the result you are trying to archieve something else needs to change.

Burial wrote:

Just mentioning it here that detector shouldn't be able to get on an island unspotted, even less a full fledged gank squad. Keeping eye on a beta terminal is even easier than worrying about where exactly an interzone could pop in. Either way It's not very hard to detect people coming to your island nowadays thanks to probes.

Consider you are watching the terminal, are you going to stop your op everytime some person sparks in?

Detectors can easily be logged out away from probes.

Consider the following scenario:

1. Gankers stock up all public beta1 terminals with an arsenal.
2. Gankers log off detector on each island.
3. A few times a day, gankers log in the detectors and look for targets of oppurtunity
4. If a gank is possible, spark a quick light ewar gank squad in, kill target. Potentially an interzone teleport could be used to quickly tackle the target by a tackle alt on standby in interzone range.

Sundial wrote:

Consider you are watching the terminal, are you going to stop your op everytime some person sparks in?

And this is why just increasing the PVP timer doesn't fix all the issues.

Remind me again, how many probes did we kill in the 'Probe wars' with arkhes? Yes, they adjusted that, so you'll need a cheap light bot instead, but the kill to value ratio is still in attackers favor.

767 (edited by Burial 2013-09-06 17:32:55)

@ Sundial

Same scenario works with Alpha 2 terminals and without using sparks though, especially if you can't spark your detector around islands due to being spotted.

The main point is that people would literally have to be logged off on an island to arrive to it without being noticed and no cooldown reduces that threat.

Sundial" wrote:

Just to answer your question. I would try to kill the detector before it sees anything.

1. Gankers stock up at certain alpha terminals.
2. Gankers log off detector on each island.
3. A few times a day, gankers log in the detectors and look for targets of opportunity
4. If a gank is possible, A small quick light ewar squad blood spark to a stocked alpha terminal, and interzone in to beta. Tackle and kill miners before they know what hit them.

And not a single spark teleport was used.... And actually works much better than trying to undock a gank squad from a public beta terminal unnoticed.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Burial wrote:

@ Sundial

Same scenario works with Alpha 2 terminals and without using sparks though, especially if you can't spark your detector around islands due to being spotted.

The main point is that people would literally have to be logged off on an island to arrive to it without being noticed and no cooldown reduces that threat.

Sundial" wrote:

Just to answer your question. I would try to kill the detector before it sees anything.

When the population increases there will be groups like 62nd again that will use these detector logoff tactics in combination with some kind of force projection. My only point is instant SpT makes it easier on a large part of beta1 islands. The interzone drop works too, but its far more expensive and slower to project the full force to an island.

Shadowmine wrote:

4. ...A small quick light ewar squad blood spark to a stocked alpha terminal...

And not a single spark teleport was used.

SpT makes force projection faster and easier, see above.

I think with higher population undocking from beta 1 terminals unnoticedwill be more difficult than you think.

772 (edited by Burial 2013-09-06 17:42:23)

And then they will fail miserably.. One guy inside beta terminal is all it takes to spot their force projection.

At this point they will have to upgrade their game and avoid those terminals. If the beta is known to be used during certain time, then logoff trap sounds best.

773 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-06 17:42:52)

Shadowmine wrote:

I think with higher population undocking from beta 1 terminals unnoticedwill be more difficult than you think.

In a certain radius to the beta 1 terminal "notice" doesn't matter. The target will die.

The point here is that both attacker and defender both benefit and are penalized by spark teleport. If the attacker sparks into tmb and undocks to go gank, then the defenders can spark in and gank the gankers. It evens out in the end.

Shadowmine wrote:

The point here is that both attacker and defender both benefit and are penalized by spark teleport. If the attacker sparks into tmb and undocks to go gank, then the defenders can spark in and gank the gankers. It evens out in the end.

Assuming they can beat the attackers force they will. For entities like STC there isn't a bigger fish to worry about. For new beta1 entities I think you will find the exact opposite is true. Force projection always favors the larger/better entity.