Re: Spark Teleports

Guys Sparking in general is not the issue.

We just need to limit the abuse of sparking on the same island in rapid succession and deploying to Betas.

A simple Timer as Arga stated for islands that are abusable to prevent this exact scenario from being plausible.

Whether or not sparking in general is bad is a far seperate discussion to how the current implementation can be abused and needs to be prevented.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

252 (edited by Merkle 2013-08-10 02:00:27)

Gunner wrote:

The time is now set to zero and there are no penalties.

You of all people should be able to appreciate the problem.

Doek wrote:

So this threadnaught, with next to no content, has now turned into calling random timespans?

Let's do 19.6 sec.

Hm, Cost to spark in the first place. 
Cheap Intel for the respected party's.  (Oh look this guys in termail, I guess he is online.)
Have to move bots there in the first place. 
Can't jump to unowned outposts.

Yep.  No penalties here...right.

Nerfing for the grace of three termails.  Those three little buggers that just wont lock. 
Dam them.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

253 (edited by Gunner 2013-08-10 05:54:43)

It's about all of the terminals, every single one of them.

The ability to have a force present by proxy at any given time.

As if people were in two places at once or nearly.

100 people could be here in a moment and there is no way to tell because of the broken mechanic to magically move everyone anywhere with no penalty.

If people cant see that is wrong, I dont know what else to say.

The system we have now is a convenience thrown in to calm the barking dogs or bears if you will.

Gunner wrote:

I play EVE for 10 years and Perp for almost two years.

While we are on the topic of EVE, my PvP record is over 5000 kills with less than 200 deaths.

I flew with the best and also flew against the best.  That is both skirmish and fleet PvP and back in the day high speed nano skirmish warfare.

I hope that gives some merit to what I say regarding that game.

The End

I do not want to get overly dismissive, but for instance Wikipedia has a nice summary on similar arguments:

In the context of deductive arguments, the appeal to authority is a logical fallacy, though it can be properly used in the context of inductive reasoning. It is deductively fallacious because, while sound deductive arguments are necessarily true, authorities are not necessarily correct about judgments related to their field of expertise. Though reliable authorities are correct in judgments related to their area of expertise more often than laypersons, they can still come to the wrong judgments through error, bias or dishonesty. Thus, the appeal to authority is at best a probabilistic rather than an absolute argument for establishing facts.

Lemon wrote:

Guys Sparking in general is not the issue.

We just need to limit the abuse of sparking on the same island in rapid succession and deploying to Betas.

A simple Timer as Arga stated for islands that are abusable to prevent this exact scenario from being plausible.

Whether or not sparking in general is bad is a far seperate discussion to how the current implementation can be abused and needs to be prevented.

Thats not a good idea. First of all, people don't usually have that many sparks on a given island to jump from terminal to terminal. There are few who commit to single island due to missions and have 3 but that's it. It would also mean that he would have to have bots in each of the terminals and don't give me the answer that it's easy.

The thing that COULD change is added time on PVP flag. Make it longer, perhaps 10 minutes and no-one could jump ahead of your escape attempt to gank you because they would usually be PVP flagged. 10minutes should be enough for you to get out of harms way.

Devs, DON'T CHANGE spark teleportation. It has effects the guys in this thread can't even imagine.

256 (edited by Gunner 2013-08-10 07:44:54)

The fact is that your organization needs the system to stay the way it is to continue to amass tokens and keep tabs on stations with little effort.

That is a fact.

How many easily gotten hundreds of thousands or even millions of tokens is enough?

.. and while we are talking about it.  What are all the new players going to say when the mission system or the spark system is changed and they cant get tokens at a rate any where near the rate that we get them?

Surprise!  Vets are rich and new guys get screwed...

Doek wrote:
Gunner wrote:

I play EVE for 10 years and Perp for almost two years.

While we are on the topic of EVE, my PvP record is over 5000 kills with less than 200 deaths.

I flew with the best and also flew against the best.  That is both skirmish and fleet PvP and back in the day high speed nano skirmish warfare.

I hope that gives some merit to what I say regarding that game.

The End

I do not want to get overly dismissive, but for instance Wikipedia has a nice summary on similar arguments:

I am an EVE bear.

Burial wrote:

Devs, DON'T CHANGE spark teleportation. It has effects the guys in this thread can't even imagine.

^^

for example, Martha Stuart would have a stroke

258 (edited by Homer J Simpson 2013-08-10 08:15:02)

@ THE DEVS

“The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.” -Theodore Roosevelt

big_smile

Yea...its not like the Dev's are not changing missions.  And its not like we dont support it fully.   And were apparently not looking forward to the patch.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

So, after 11 pages ideas for how to "fix" this issue so far look something like this:

1. Leave it as it is

2. Get rid of it completely

3. Universal cool down of a certain time (opinions vary on exact time)

4. Increase PvP flag time

5. Only a PvP flag triggers cool down timer

6. Cool down only applies to terminals on same island

7. Cool down only after jumping to Beta/Gamma

8. Allow spark teleport to gamma only

9. Cool down after sparking relative to distance travelled

10. Make the game world much much bigger smile

11. Different cool down times depending on destination AND cool down for resetting home station

12. Cool down timer only starts once you select a bot

13. Sparking before cool down timer expires has cost in NIC/tokens that escalates if repeated

Let me throw a couple more ideas in. The more spark destinations you have the longer the cool down. Beta sparks cost 2 "spark slots". Sparks in PvP zones are limited to islands of one colour/faction only. Cool down applies to deploy to terrain AND is reset if sparking back to terminal from which you jumped in the first place (thus getting over the lack of remote buy/sell and contract system). Not saying they're necessarily great ideas, just a handful more.

261 (edited by Burial 2013-08-10 08:40:04)

Throwing another wild idea: Remove spark teleportation and allow only to be sparked into beta outposts(when stability is over certain threshold) and gamma terminals you own(or in the future, your alliance owns)?
Alpha sparking could be based with relations.

With that system, no-one could spark to beta terminals anymore.

Merkle wrote:

Yea...its not like the Dev's are not changing missions.  And its not like we dont support it fully.   And were apparently not looking forward to the patch.

Just because the DEVs are working on other mechanics doesnt mean discussion about other parts of the game has to stop.

Homer J Simpson wrote:
Merkle wrote:

Just because the DEVs are working on other mechanics doesnt mean discussion about other parts of the game has to stop.

I was merely rebuffing a negative sentiment toward STC, not questioning the Dev Team's drive and determination!

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Im just posting here coz i reactivated this Alt for 24 hours & have nothing really to add to this convo.

other than Ron Paul 2016.

Also Every time STC lies Beast Dies.... UUMM Merkle is a sh*t FC.... OH & ville is a WoW ***...

there we go i feel dirty now \o/

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Burial wrote:

Tell us what we cant imagine that is so terrible if this were changed or it nothing but whispers and worries.

Burial wrote:

It would also mean that he would have to have bots in each of the terminals and don't give me the answer that it's easy.

Ok maybe you just forgot how I play but is that a serious question? It would take me under 2 hours to fully stock 3 stations with enough fits/bots to handle anything from each terminal for the next Month.

its called a scarab mk 2

If I only OWN or WANT 1 island this is not hard. If i have 10 or even 7 sparks why do you seem to believe it hard for me to set them to a single island.

*To increase the PvP flag timer is silly because it will have a negative impact by keeping the the one with out access vulnerable just as long as the guy cannot teleport.

We want to make it so once a player Teleports and engages in PvP that they cannon t abuse the rapid redeployment.

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

You guys go on and on about how we didn't "win" these Beta stations. We only have them because you stopped playing the game.

The implication here is if PHM, CIR , Dom Alliance were still active we would own roughly what we did before you quit.
And you would be correct.

Then you are going on and on about how we can defend every Beta terminal now with SpT because it allows our relatively small force to rapidly deploy anywhere to counter an even smaller attacking force, because no one is playing the game.
And you would be correct.

Gee, whats the solution?

PLAY THE *** GAME!!!!

If you were playing in equal or greater numbers than us, you would have your Betas, we would fall back and hold the ones we could.

MUCH LIKE IT WAS FOR THE LAST YEAR AND A HALF WHEN SpT WAS IN THE GAME AND NO ONE ***, RATHER THAN THE LAST 3 MONTHS WHEN NO ONE IS PLAYING.

Seriously, if whining on the forums to change a mechanic while not playing a game because you dont like the current political landscape, is not easy mode I don't know what is.

When SpT was introduced it was one of the greatest advancements to this game because of the tedium of travel. Everyone forgets that it seems.

Also, all those who now want it changed because "we make millions of nic with missions on easy mode" ... How many of you have your 6.0 standings? Pretty much all of you, right? Because when you owned the Betas, you took advantage of the broken system. Now that you don't, to the forums! We have to change this great injustice! What a joke.

I spent all my gametime last night mining Titanium. What the hell!?! Shouldn't I be running missions for every single second of my gameplay?!??!??

I comment on stuff for the good of the game. I thought SpT was good for the game when it was introduced.
The limit of sparks means you have to choose which ones you have.
The mission system was designed pre-spark, its getting revamped and the advantage will disappear.
You have your opinion, I have mine. I respect yours. Stop telling me why I have mine. And I will do the same.

267 (edited by Burial 2013-08-10 16:21:23)

You can't imagine a lot because you are not living constantly on multi-island settlements. You are only limited by your knowledge of beta islands and a little of gamma operations you did and I can say they were little because I saw the intestines of them when we took them over. Ville is probably one of the few players besides us worth listening here if he weren't the vilest of the basement-trolls.

On gamma islands, there is constant sparking around between different outposts to do tasks that require a minor portion of time thats nowhere near 1 hour and would leave people regularly stuck with the cooldown timers if they were to be implemented. When someone has only few hours per day to play or even less, it's not wise to make them choose to either wait after cooldowns or choose conventional traveling methods that will take well over an hour if not more. This concept applies to even people living on the same island, although not that severely.

I hope you know how long a bot travels from one point of the island to another and then back again. Low movement speeds, no internal teleports and highways, coupled with difficult terrains and you can be sure the next 40-50 minutes of your time are spent on movement. Spark teleportation makes players more efficient and efficient is good. It means players can process more game content and the time they spend playing is more meaningful and fun. There is already way too many threads made by newbies saying that traveling is major PITA, why force it more on players especially for reasons that are not really well understood and situational?

Now we get to the reason you want it changed. The situation of someone engaging your fleet on a beta outpost and making you run to beta terminal. I'll use Domhalarn as an example here of all the 3 islands that are affected by this "phenomenon" that calls for so much public outcry from the minority. First of all, the enemy fleet is most likely fully flagged which means that for 5 minutes they can not mysteriously dock up and be able to spark right where you are going. That is the single and biggest hole in your story, you completely forget the PVP timer that should be big enough buffer to avoid such situations. If there happens to be someone sparking ahead of you, then first of all - you did a bad call to go to the place where you could face overwhelming force and second of all, it's because he chose not to engage and wanted to find more efficient moment to strike.

Number of available sparks is already limited to 10. It's not possible for a group of players to lay sparks all over the place and use the mechanic you think is too overpowered and power projecting. There are 18 beta outposts and terminals, coupled with the fact that people rarely have more than 8 sparks and atleast 1 of them is set to gamma.

If someone decides to commit on one area and use a chunk of their sparks to securing it to the fullest then why can't they?

@Cassius - I/WE do not play because we have nothing new to set out and accomplish. The last time we did play we were lucky for 1 good fight  a week. I would prefer to wait until it is back to the 2+ a day I remember early on.

Myself and probably many others know that we have plenty of faulty mechanics and minute things to list and discuss on how to solve and address them. The fact of the matter is that this is the topic everyone is discussing for now thanks to Ville sparking it up.

Sorry if you thought this was about you or STC but I was just arguing for the good of the game.  This is why we have seen the game being revamped from trial onward. Not to mention the fact that vets have just been given bones now and then to stay.

Undefeated 2013

269 (edited by Lemon 2013-08-10 17:08:47)

Burial wrote:

If someone decides to commit on one area and use a chunk of their sparks to securing it to the fullest then why can't they?

Because you want to enable both parties to get a few hits in before the fights over.

Lets Take Novastrov for example: If we remember back to the first battle of my last return to play you will see a lot of similarities.

Lets pretend one of us decide we want to own/roam NC and we go to its first sap with 20~guys. You get all dressed up and decide your fits and move out.

All it would take is the proper 3-5 bots to keep that group busy or harassed while you can spark in to Dana and full equip either larger or counter bots to engage from the flank instantly.

Lets pretend I flank with 15 bots that is a rank wall.

Now we can dive down in to who will win or not win but regardless of who does in this situation both parties have a fighting chance if the right calls are made.

There is no possible way a new player who is limited on his in-game ability and must rely heavily on his knowledge of the game to overcome fights will be able to combat or even acknowledge what is happening as they die.

I can count the FC"s who could even give me a run for my money If I was the defender on 1 hand. If this is the number of players who have the knowledge and awareness to combat this then how is this possibly good for the game?

EDIT: by no means should gamma sparking be limited. I know these are extreme situations I am bringing up but they will be common in a flourishing environment.

Undefeated 2013

This and also some things that Arga was talking about are among the better ideas ive read.

I think Zoom would be interested in looking at this.

Burial wrote:

Throwing another wild idea: Remove spark teleportation and allow only to be sparked into beta outposts(when stability is over certain threshold) and gamma terminals you own(or in the future, your alliance owns)?

Gunner wrote:

This and also some things that Arga was talking about are among the better ideas ive read.

I think Zoom would be interested in looking at this.

Burial wrote:

Corp hopping abuse potential. Corp hopping would need a cool down too.

Everyone liked it.  It didnt mean it was right.

Cassius wrote:

When SpT was introduced it was one of the greatest advancements to this game because of the tedium of travel. Everyone forgets that it seems.

Lemon, I understand why you and others don't actively play. I was unsubbed, all 5 of my accounts, for a month. Thats my longest break. I choose to sub 5 accounts now simply to play a little and give the devs that one extra beer with their pizza.

My point wasn't to get you to return to the game now. It's that the mechanic you think is broken is only overpowered now because of the CURRENT game politics. Under NORMAL game conditions it wouldn't be (and wasn't) an issue. Yes the nature of PvP CHANGED when it was introduced, but it didn't die because of it.

Unfortunately, it seems most from your "side" tend to post these threadnaughts pushing for a change of a mechanic AFTER it no longer affects you. And you all mainly seem to simply repeat, ad nausem, change it, it's broken, change it, and ignore or simply scream politics when someone else has a dissenting opinion. The gamma base ewar mechanics and Jita come to mind, he repeated endlessly in that thread how he lost his base due to a broken mechanic while continuously ignoring the fact that he simply didn't understand the mechanic.

Apparently Gamma Bases are impregnable. In reality they are not. Even ours can be breached if someone puts the effort in. We put the effort into breaching others. Your "side" doesn't feel like putting the in game effort in to breaching ours so a forum campaign to change mechanics is mounted instead.

Your "side" ran a "what happens in June?" Forum campaign. Other than losing your gamma, nothing happened.
Your "side" ran a "gifting accounts" campaign, long after "shared accounts" were used.

All these forum campaigns run after conditions changed for your "side" in game. Never while your "side" was taking advantage of them.

Funny thing is my personal opinion is close to yours on the account gifting, but differs on all the others.
And individually, I take most of what you (Lemon), Mongolia, and some of what Gunner says as free of politics. I just don't agree with it. Thats all.

You guys would probably have a lot more credibility if you did not raise these issues after they do not affect you and if you were still actively playing. Just saying. It's your choice and for your reasons you don't play.

For the most part I'm sorta done with this thread now, it's starting to go in circles.

274 (edited by Lemon 2013-08-10 18:47:17)

@Cassius: Amongst the screams of bloody murder I am simply trying to voice my reason.

TBF When discussing mechanics I really don't pay attention to corp tags as ATM with the current political situation it would be impossible for you to stop us from taking 1 island. ATM if we simply sent 10 guys to 1 island you could easily defined 1 front however if we attacked 3 over the course of 2 weeks lowering any/all stations we could just wearing your 10 guys out. It would be only a matter of time until we owned it.

Now if we had 10 factions of 10 players then the Player to ->Area ratio is much different. As a dedicated PvPer and back-up FC with my 7 sparks I will have 1 at Beta 1 at Gamma and then the rest around my PvP active zones be it 3 on 1 island or across 3 islands.

A lot of the threads are very silly to anyone who has actually tested the mechanics and can you blame people for starting a political campaign to win something in-game since it has worked in the past?

Also I really cant control what people post and I tend to get flamed when I do so I simply post when things get a bit out of touch from whats best for the game.   Point and case throwing blanket timers or any sort of band-aid botch job on to spark teleporting. I cant change everything but I can damn well try to guide some of it.

TBH now that each side is giving their scenario's the dev's can see how it would/could play out and hopefully make a more informed call on the design of the mechanics if leaving it or changing it is necessary.

Ok done spamming this till it plays out more.

Undefeated 2013

275 (edited by Celebro 2013-08-10 20:26:28)

Honestly Spt is not going to affect the game much right now, it can be left alone for the time being. When steam comes may take a few 100 players to really notice its not a good thing to leave in the future without any cool down, unless Perp players really like to use one stragedy blobbing mechanics with no depth in warfare . Time will tell.

SpT has really good advantages I like it for many stuff not just combat or assignments, hoping for a compromise.

RIP PERPETUUM