Re: Terraforming

The way I see it, the discussion probably revolves around retention and critical mass. You can wildly debate sociodynamic theories here, but the game just doesn't retain enough new players in it's current state to push through to that critical mass. And it needs that critical mass, because it's designed (and being designed) like that in all of it's aspects. This is why we cringe at lost potential.

That critical mass is also more of a qualitative matter; at this point, very few new players, even from a large influx, will stick around long enough to actually count towards that critical mass. This is why previous influxes failed, and why future ones will too.

Most of us care less now, but I mostly remember the lack of cheap (or any) ammunition and the extreme barrier to industry. This is currently not stated as being addressed, and trying to address these problems haphazard (sticking it on current systems) is just going to be mostly beneficial to veteran players and/or creates 'broken gameplay' legacy issues for years to come.

There are some easy fixes, mostly eliminating noise for new players, such as:

• get rid of solibdit alltogether;

• get rid of area charges;

• increase the number of titan fields (it's not like they're hard to find for veteran players);

• increase drop rate (or assignment rewards) of tier 1 ammunition;

• tokens should be able to be exchanged for low-level decoders.

Some more elaborate solutions, while obviously risking said issue:

• contract system (mostly for CT's);

• decrease/re-allocate sinks and item drops; i.e:

• Syndicate-subsidized production (as far as NIC) in alpha-1 terminals for tier 1 ammunition and small/misc T1/T2 equipment (hopefully also increasing buy orders from veteran players and increase traffic around terminals)

• get rid or severely decrease reverse engineering as a time/EP sink.

• consider evaluating production time as a serious gameplay-hampering sink

Mostly, my point here is to engineer a situation where new players can try all aspects of Perpetuum without them being some lame demo mode (instances, industry assignments) or having thrown huge barriers (both EP/NIC) of entry at them. This is also why I'm looking forward to research points, strongly tiered items and working towards a viable kernel market. Give new players the tools to work on the low-tier/T1/T2 items/bots market right away.

I seriously think this game is in great shape as far as gameplay mechanics and visuals. But it's time to ease up on the holy sandbox and social-economical what-if's, and get some more people in here.

And for god's sake, get that microtransactional pink paint in there.

+1 for hello kitty mech.

Players asked for a buff in terraforming, (cheaper charge/faster terraforming) speeding up the creation of all those defensive sandcastles, which are practically impossible to take down.

The problem is not terraforming, although a few balancing tweaks would help, there is a dire need for more viable counters, larger dps mech proposed for this role, even wall climbing light bots to infiltrate walled MPCs . The idea behind this is to throw in more tools to counter overpowered gamma defences

Celebro's body guard

Doek wrote:

So

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … scan-ammo/
an overwhelming number of remaining player think they are good as they are

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Doek wrote:

So

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … scan-ammo/
an overwhelming number of remaining player think they are good as they are

No one ever leaves for good when the say they will, or when they should. You've returned Anni?

Cassius, I dispute your claim.  A combination of work commitments and in-game factors mean I'm packing it in. 

I have little spare time and I'm not spending it playing an MMO with a Mordor Complex.  Terraforming makes PvP and intercorp fighting/trade pointless... ergo nothing survives unless it's behind an iron curtain; not very social and ultimatly dull.

To put this in perspective; I may renew subs at some point... I may even appear in game; but I no longer care about Perpetuum as a player because I feel I've accomplished all I can... and it wasn't that interesting.  It's like they say, 'this i smy blog that no ne reads'.

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

i am sure the will rework the terraforming system. but that surely will come after steam release and all patches that are pland before it. so this will still take a while.

Gharl Incognito wrote:

Cassius, I dispute your claim.  A combination of work commitments and in-game factors mean I'm packing it in. 

I have little spare time and I'm not spending it playing an MMO with a Mordor Complex.  Terraforming makes PvP and intercorp fighting/trade pointless... ergo nothing survives unless it's behind an iron curtain; not very social and ultimatly dull.

To put this in perspective; I may renew subs at some point... I may even appear in game; but I no longer care about Perpetuum as a player because I feel I've accomplished all I can... and it wasn't that interesting.  It's like they say, 'this i smy blog that no ne reads'.

Im now only here to watch this Train Wreck out of morbid curiosity big_smile

Gharl Incognito wrote:

My comment was directed at Annihaltor, not you Gnarl. I really don't fault anyone for leaving. Or returning for that matter. It's just some should stay away. Especially when they leave with huge fanfare. You did not.

Oh. How did my transcendant thread on terraforming end up being the harbinger of doom!

Arga wrote:

Oh. How did my transcendant thread on terraforming end up being the harbinger of doom!

Got derailed wink Terraforming is fine. Whatever someone builds it can be destroyed, its just a matter of time. Nobody seems to like a challenge anymore, quite naturally players are not sure if to invest more time on a game that is in limbo atm.

Celebro's body guard