Re: Titan ore.

It's irrelevant if it is or isn't a lost cause, they would only have to sue them until AC runs out of money.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Simmy wrote:
Vroom wrote:

I doubt 500 players could take a well thought out hi tech base.

If they are smart enough covering all times zones I think they can. Log off traps, spies. Look for weaknesses and they will find it.

Anyways this is all speculation, still feel it shouldn't be that hard and it's somewhat overpowered together with the interference mechanic which needs a buff, to favour attackers.

Impossibru!!!!

Arga wrote:

Syndic just threw 500 out there as a number, but think about previous attacks and what happened there.

First off, gamma has AOE explosion damage. This immeditatly limits the number of robots that you SHOULD put into any single area. Just to spell this out, Turrets and concentrated fire by a few defenders can easily overwhelm any single target. Once that target explodes, it may take out the rest of the group, even if it doesn't it will overwhelm any remote repair and the next 2 kills will create a chain.

this is assuming the defender has created a choke point, which is what I'm sure what Ville was referring to as 'well thought out'.

That's not to say that it could never be done, simply that throwing large numbers in an all out assualt through the front door would fail.

Last but not least is the whole problem of holding a broken outpost, at this point those 500 players would be needed - again to spell it out, the defensability of the outpost was just broken by the attacker; which they now have to defend from the previous owner by sheer numbers until all 100,000 robots stored in the invulnerable mode terminal have been destroyed.

Not to mention interfere with hi tech ewar locking at 2k.. Ouchie.

Counter to what the choir is singing the current mineral mechanics are sound. minerals are not the problem people just want to make it the "thing" to fight over.

Dont trick your self into thinking you need a reason to go shoot some one you need no reason at all other than that urge to shoot something.

Martha is on the right track.

What i think needs to happen if you all want "artificial" conflict forced by game design is to make robot cortex's only available through SAP loot (not artifacting), and change SAP loot cans to be only accessible by the station owner.

this would:

1) give more reason to fight for betas (as MK2 stock piles dwindle)
2) make owning a beta station actually worth something other than bragging rights.
3) limit the availability of MK2 Robots
4) add in the limiting production controls the choir is asking for.

Also i would recommend (because form the on set gamma's purpose was based on Industry enhancements)
1) making noralgis grow naturally on gamma only islands
2) remove noralgis incubators along with the other harvest-able plant incubators. 

If you want a bottle neck make it for advanced items (MK2 Bots ) not base items like T3/T4 Items

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Sure you need a reason. You need a reason for the loser to keep trying, otherwise the same thing happens like with you, they go play world of tanks for a few months.

CIR Complaint Form

I do agree that in the sense of resources as 'conflict-drivers', you might as well refer to them as 'NAP-drivers'. It's an empty game design promise, period.

This is sandbox 101. Some people want to build castles, some want to destroy other people's castles, some people are just crazy (it is a game, after all). Everyone (miners, producers) can easily keep up with the rate of destruction (of which there is next to nothing), so there's no need for a market.

Get rid of gamma (14 days grace period). Do it now. Get rid of walls. Make beta optionally safe from incoming teleports for 2/3 periods a day (one for each timezone), for an hour or so, between SAP times (and have these shutdown timers globally known). Prevent people not from the corporation(s) [owning the outposts] logging in on the terrain (put them on the island over), but obviously allow shutting down the incoming teleports while enemies are on the island (they can still get out). Have each beta color have a unique resource, force the intra-corporation market. Use the shutdowns to maintain the outpost's stability. Have equipment provide only slightly improved stats per tier. Get rid of global market views.

Also, pink paint.

Arga wrote:

Syndic just threw 500 out there as a number, but think about previous attacks and what happened there.

First off, gamma has AOE explosion damage. This immeditatly limits the number of robots that you SHOULD put into any single area. Just to spell this out, Turrets and concentrated fire by a few defenders can easily overwhelm any single target. Once that target explodes, it may take out the rest of the group, even if it doesn't it will overwhelm any remote repair and the next 2 kills will create a chain.

We call this "Pulling a Merkle"

Syndic wrote:

It's irrelevant if it is or isn't a lost cause, they would only have to sue them until AC runs out of money.

Or they could just wait until June.

Arga wrote:

this is assuming the defender has created a choke point, which is what I'm sure what Ville was referring to as 'well thought out'.

That's not to say that it could never be done, simply that throwing large numbers in an all out assualt through the front door would fail.

Last but not least is the whole problem of holding a broken outpost, at this point those 500 players would be needed - again to spell it out, the defensability of the outpost was just broken by the attacker; which they now have to defend from the previous owner by sheer numbers until all 100,000 robots stored in the invulnerable mode terminal have been destroyed.

I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong here. First of, you need just about 50 or even slightly lesser bots (siege team) to breach the gates. Rest numbers are mostly for defending your siege team. Choke points are fine, but you can't make the whole island a choke point - so smart attacker will find his way anyway. And at last, but not at least, there is NO PREVIOUS OWNER - by the game mechanics, you can't capture the enemy gamma base, you either destroy it or you're not.

So if you can't destroy an enemy base with 10-20 bots, that doesn't mean there is something wrong with the game mechanics - you just don't have enough people.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

line has the point.

we dont need siege bots. heavys and their mk2 variant do the job quite well. and i think we dont want that a solo player (or one of the handfull vets left) can sit in his siege bot and nibble away on any defense.

defenses are there to hold a bit and that they do. they are not that strong. only thing thats need some change (as said already multible times) is the terraforming.
besides i think not a lot ppl have tried multible aproaches in the last couple of months to siege a base. for one or the other reason. just running against a wall and saying its unbreachable does not realy count.

once population goes up ppl will complain that defeses are too weak and will be easy broken once the enemy can field enough and moderate skilled heavy pilots.

it would be stupid to balance this game for the low population we have atm. we have to fix the low population and then it will be fine.

Both of you are missing something.

If I can deconstruct a terminal whenever you reinforce it a few times, and re-construct it, you are gonna be attacking the same few exposed terminals for months.

12 terminal cap! Buildings don't stop functioning when they're reinforced! Buildings can be deconstructed while reinforced! Spammable turrets!

How many times can you breach the defenses before X patches it up to the point where you mathematically can't anymore? It's only a matter of doing some math and exercising common sense. Well, that and applying the ***, I learned my lesson last time when I told everyone nobody's *** enough to come attack our front door. lol

CIR Complaint Form

i also said that gamma still needs a lot work. and that is surly one thing that needs to be changed. i will not say anything in how it should be, but it has to be changed somehow. but the problem is not in the defense structures.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

it would be stupid to balance this game for the low population we have atm. we have to fix the low population and then it will be fine.

Not to discuss semantics here, but the balance is off due to the low population.

I'm also saying you need a workable solution. Revisiting resources, research, pve, defenses, terraforming; it'd take many thousands of manhours. And you'd be operating on a bunch of what-if's, which is by no means relevant to the situation right now.

Seriously lower the barrier of entry on all activities in this game. Do something about the artificial scarcity by lowering fixed costs and rebalance the research curve/production extensions (which is another pricing structure causing deadweight loss on activities from anyone coming into this game as a would-be producer).

I might be joking about getting rid of gamma and seriously rearrange the distributions of materials on alpha/beta, but I don't see how we can reach a general equilibrium when we can all ignore each other in our IDAFK-fortresses.

Syndic wrote:

If I can deconstruct a terminal whenever you reinforce it a few times, and re-construct it, you are gonna be attacking the same few exposed terminals for months.

Yeah Chaos did it once and here you go their island was immediately devastated big_smile Then you're missing the point that for de- and then re-construct an a terminal, you should empty it's storages otherwise you will spend lots of time on pick it up from the loot can, sorting etc etc.

Syndic wrote:

12 terminal cap!

Yup that's protect us from enemy putting their own terminal, using all the exploits linked with that, including your own "de- and re-constructing"

Syndic wrote:

Buildings don't stop functioning when they're reinforced!

That's a point, uhu.

Syndic wrote:

Buildings can be deconstructed while reinforced!

That's a point too.

Syndic wrote:

Spammable turrets!

Still just one per 50m, that's not that much actually. Anything you can do with spamming turrets - is to slow enemy progress but not cancel it at all. It's a numbers problem mostly. Still, don't forget that turrets require resources and they have no reinforcement state.

Syndic wrote:

How many times can you breach the defenses before X patches it up to the point where you mathematically can't anymore? It's only a matter of doing some math and exercising common sense. Well, that and applying the ***, I learned my lesson last time when I told everyone nobody's *** enough to come attack our front door. lol

And finally. How much time, efforts, NIC and resources do you think is reasonable to put in a Gamma base if a bunch of 10-20 ppl should be able to destroy it on the fly? Compare it with the current situation - why such expensive bases should be so weak? What's the point of them at all?

Which highlights my previous point that Gamma is ass-backwards, you gotta be rich to invest a metric dickton of NIC to slowly get rich again.

CIR Complaint Form

Oh but investment SHOULD bring some profit, otherwise it's useless, isn't it?

The investment is time and fun.  It's not a pure nic investment.

Everything in this game, except fun, is an equivalent of time. There is no point in spending lots of manhours if someone else can destroy all the results spending much lesser manhours.

Line wrote:
Arga wrote:

<snip>

I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong here. First of, you need just about 50 or even slightly lesser bots (siege team) to breach the gates. Rest numbers are mostly for defending your siege team. Choke points are fine, but you can't make the whole island a choke point - so smart attacker will find his way anyway.

All I said was a 500 man frontal assualt would fail. Than you say I'm completely wrong, coming in from the sides with a small force would work.

I'll just say that your NOT completely wrong, just the part about me being completely wrong, supported by you supporting my arguement.  Unless you agree that you are wrong about the frontal assualt, in which case then you are completely wrong.

More likely your like me, and just read a few words from each post and not the whole thing. After all, it's mostly BS anyway.

Everyone in this room is now dumber.

glad I was able to pull you all down to my level tongue

147 (edited by Burial 2013-04-26 18:06:23)

Syndic wrote:

Which highlights my previous point that Gamma is ass-backwards, you gotta be rich to invest a metric dickton of NIC to slowly get rich again.

That encourages interactions between smaller and bigger blocks. No-one has to start from the scratch if that's not what they want.

Arga, why on earth you're trying to balance gamma bases around frontal assault then?

Line wrote:

Arga, why on earth you're trying to balance gamma bases around frontal assault then?

Where in my post was there is any suggestion on how to balance gamma?

I was just pointing out that the number of attackers isn't as important as strategy, which is how it should be.

But, I've posted this before and Ville also pointed it out, each 'failed' assault makes a gamma base that much stronger. Not simply because it highlights weak points, but the defender will add a few more layers in that area, like scar tissue.

Lastly, and this I believe is what everyone was asking for, it's will take a large continual effort to completely remove a defender from an existing island.

Is there something that needs to be balanced? Something that isn't based on corps only being able to field 10-25 players for a half-assed attempt to blow up a few structures.

Burial wrote:
Syndic wrote:

That encourages interactions between smaller and bigger blocks. No-one has to start from the scratch if that's not what they want.

It's not productive to discuss powerblocks at this juncture in a serious manner, since a 2 man corp constitutes a Large Powerblock in the game at the moment.

CIR Complaint Form