Topic: [REQUEST] zone cap for robot wreckage

Is limiting the max rendered wreckage possible? I think this would help with a lot of server issues.

maybe cap it out at 50ish

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Re: [REQUEST] zone cap for robot wreckage

+1

I notice a lot of lag when running beacons and it seems to be a combination of large amounts of containers and lots of wreckage.

Its more of a anti beacon implementation.  Its probably not going to change.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Option to not render wrecks at all.

Beaconing aside if we ever do get back to large scale battles this will quickly become a leading issue for them and how well they flow. I know in some cases I have taken the server in to a lag for 10-15 mins at a time while looting. This time-frame has module lag on all the other islands, not just the one i am on.

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Anni Tell him whats up!

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

Anni Tell him whats up!

He doesn't know anything about wiping 30-70+ bot fleets of players in the last year and dealing with the lag of there wreckage and loots.

These are valid concerns. I mean i would enjoy a stable environment to PvP in and loot safely.

Undefeated 2013

Just as I said in a post a year ago you need to get people off Gamma in the right way.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … d-balance/

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

The wreckage lag has not been fixed or addressed since beacons were introduced.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Lemon wrote:
Merkle wrote:

Anni Tell him whats up!

He doesn't know anything about wiping 30-70+ bot fleets of players in the last year and dealing with the lag of there wreckage and loots.

These are valid concerns. I mean i would enjoy a stable environment to PvP in and loot safely.

true, last time i was in such a big battle, the server could handle them without any notable issue.
that was before:
- squad display of accumulator status
- detection/masking
- interference system
- *** of npcs with accumulator
- more then 6 islands
- and well, like billions of unused items in storages everywhere, logged at every access...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Control it with "Special effects" bar or any other which is suitable. Simply don't render them when settings are low. Or add separated checkbox for that.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

It's still not clear for me whether you mean lag as in network lag, or graphic lag as in low fps?

I want a pony Zoom, is that possible too?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

DEV Zoom wrote:

It's still not clear for me whether you mean lag as in network lag, or graphic lag as in low fps?

Whats happening is that at a certain point a delay begins to kick in where you have module delay, Explosion delay, Movement Delay, and just a rather slo-mo chop to it. If you try and do to much in this state you can reproduce the lag across the entire server.

Undefeated 2013

Here's the thing: in our game mechanics a wreck is a "beam". A beam is simply a graphic entity that gets shown for a specific time. Every laser beam or missile shot or explosion is a beam too. But they are just "there", there isn't any serious calculation involved or anything that would create server lag. If that would be the case, a big battle with hundreds of beams would kill it. Also, every connection beam between gamma buildings is a beam too.

So I'm going to assume that "spreading this lag across the entire server" is a coincidence, and go with client slowdown, which sounds more plausible.

16 (edited by Lemon 2013-03-05 15:56:38)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Here's the thing: in our game mechanics a wreck is a "beam". A beam is simply a graphic entity that gets shown for a specific time. Every laser beam or missile shot or explosion is a beam too. But they are just "there", there isn't any serious calculation involved or anything that would create server lag. If that would be the case, a big battle with hundreds of beams would kill it. Also, every connection beam between gamma buildings is a beam too.

So I'm going to assume that "spreading this lag across the entire server" is a coincidence, and go with client slowdown, which sounds more plausible.

Ok so then with the 'beams' then here is what the other variable could be, Looting with the Gamma beams+ Wreckage +cans+Loot animation x50+ accidently looting your field container with 1500u=BOOM server for having lag even on other islands. Outside of that though it was localized to the near area of the beaconing

I mean to be technical with it.

Lay 4x Platoon Beacon
>Blow them all up
("lag" starts)
>Attempt to loot
*Mass loots* (More "lag")
>accidently loot field container w/ 1500u+ and 50+ loot cans
=Boom to the server

Undefeated 2013

For that kind of lags, reason isn't the wrecks but numbers of separated entries in a field container. Auto-stack could help for a while, until problem is solved, but seems it's impossible to implement.

Line wrote:

For that kind of lags, reason isn't the wrecks but numbers of separated entries in a field container. Auto-stack could help for a while, until problem is solved, but seems it's impossible to implement.

sounds reasonable - yet, stacking in field container used for farming NPCs wont help, since loot is mostly damaged aka cannot be stacked.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

At least it will stack what can be stacked - that will make containers stay longer before turns in Container Of Death.

Anyone knows how many polygons 1 wreck is approx?

I ust can say, after some patches now I cant do beacon farming because my laptop cant handle, the FPS will fall to 2-3 FPS. I tried with poligon robot modell but didnt changed the FPS.

Before beaconing is 10-15 FPS.

I did beacon farming last year with -4-5 FPS fall.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD