Re: Couple Changes I think would help.

Key question is, is the current use of terraforming in line with how the Devs envisaged it. If yes, leave as is. If no, come up with a better system in line with the game's vision then reset all terraforming and refund everyone their TF charges.

Its not like it hasn't been done before. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Getting a bit tired of this, "quick were just reset everything and it will all be better"....idea.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Daza i think you are grouping to many vets together. There is only a small faction of vets who understand the game and what it takes for it to thrive and the effect each change has had on the population. There are however a lot of very vocal players who are narrow minded, as with any game and will spew there crap on the forums to gain what they see as a benefit without fully understanding the repercussions. This isnt to say that other players know the repercussions, but there is a group of us who can acknowledge that  quite a few types of changes should not be implemented without being properly tested in order to discover any possible exploits and to determine how the system will be impacting the current gameplay and balance to prevent blowback.

I mean the pure fact that you speak of Vets who complained about walll nerfs is very shallow at best. There was a portion of players who cried about losing there safety but the most vocal were players simply trying to say "Its not my fault YOU(the devs) didnt have the forsight to see how this could be misused or abused. Now because of the lack of preparation my X ammount of nic and Y amount of time is being brushed under the table with some *fix*" Nullifying my effort and removing my faith in their ability to make decisions in what they were assuming, was a persistent game. Not erasing players forward progression and decisions in a persistent decision based world, like it is in a beta.

Lets look at Gamma where a # of players voiced concerns over the rules around how players can use the features. Specifically teleporter ranges and how terraforming is handled there, players were ignored, it was implemented and later changed. Players voiced concern over the time/cost of gamma and low and behold it is implemented a few factions spend Y man hours and 2-5 billion nic on making PERSISTENT changes to a game world only to find out that it is going to be nerfed. After already having 1 faction of players quit due to running out of in-game funds  with their failed attempt at exploring these features but to then also have the  75% reduction in cost/time required for the end product. I want you to imagine with how that sat for the player who invested 2-5 billions of nice and 3+ weeks of time invested in pioneering these features to be told *We are changing the rules and making it easier for everyone else", that being the intent of the message or not that is how it was received and only after cornering the devs and squeezing them was a portion of the change even reimbursed to the players effected. This oversight alone drove many players both industrial and combat alike from the game.

Lets get constructive here, Martha what is the variable factor that has enable STC to not only surivive but establish itself as a PvP corp and one that can hold its own, where many new flood corps have failed before you. Lets compare to other veteran corps who had greater experience and were unable to survive or continue playing. I mean how are you still here where so many others have vanished (even your own leadership from my understanding at one point left you high and dry)

^That is how we start making progress. identifying the issues and having proof of what is driving players out and keeping them in. What makes STC so different than the other flops? What happened to the majority of there population, why did that happen? what caused it? Those are questions to ask not GAMMA IS OP BECAUSE I CANT GET KILLS ON CAREBEAR, heres a hint.... the carebear will find a safe way as it always does and you will only catch the dumb ones.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

What was the main reason for the 1km -> 2 km change?

They didn't want gamma bases and teleports walled off.

Which raises the question the Devs should answer, what changed that they want that now? Is it pure sub-preserving-cause-game-will-shut-down like with the "gifting account" fiasco? Or just too busy with other stuff?

CIR Complaint Form

Lemon wrote:

I mean the pure fact that you speak of Vets who complained about walll nerfs is very shallow at best. There was a portion of players who cried about losing there safety but the most vocal were players simply trying to say "Its not my fault YOU(the devs) didnt have the forsight to see how this could be misused or abused. Now because of the lack of preparation my X ammount of nic and Y amount of time is being brushed under the table with some *fix*" Nullifying my effort and removing my faith in their ability to make decisions in what they were assuming, was a persistent game. Not erasing players forward progression and decisions in a persistent decision based world, like it is in a beta.

That attitude is kind of the problem. Do I think the devs should think through these things more? Yes. It didn't need a genius to see what was gonna happen with the wall system, but the majority of players wanted it, so they got it. It predictably turned out to be horribly broken, and players abused the hell out of it. At that point there is no other option other than to make big changes to the system. Leaving a horrible system in place is no option at all if you don't want the game to die.

Big changes are made to games all the time, including games like Perpetuum, sometimes the changes screw you, but tbh you just have to deal with it. This is especially true when you go out to find ways to game the system and use it in ways that weren't intended. To turn your comment around, its not the devs fault that YOU want to abuse the system. When a feature doesn't work properly and impededes gameplay, it HAS to be fixed.

This is not aimed at you personally, but is an attitude I see a lot.

Also realistically, we are in beta, the game is still a long way from any kind of polished product.

Syndic wrote:

What was the main reason for the 1km -> 2 km change?

They didn't want gamma bases and teleports walled off.

Which raises the question the Devs should answer, what changed that they want that now? Is it pure sub-preserving-cause-game-will-shut-down like with the "gifting account" fiasco? Or just too busy with other stuff?

Most likely they simply don't have the resources to make the large scales changes needed to multiple parts of the game sad

I almost feel sorry for all the steam noobs that are gonna have to somehow get organized, farm bucketloads of NIC for ICE & terraforming, secure a Gamma and start raking in teh profitz for 6 months while their toons get some EP. lol

CIR Complaint Form

All this for a couple of suggestions that Op thinks will improve the game?.

I would like to point out the only reason we are playing this game right now is because of ICE & Gamma. We have given the Devs our feed back, they have done the best with it. It hasn't worked out the way we all hoped for. The history of nerfs and buffs has driven away players with very high expectations from a small indy game, striving to retain players and bring in fresh ones. This is not a AAA title, even they f** up big time too.

From my perspective what needs to be done now is attract new players, and start changing mechanics with the focus on retention on then next population surge. Next is the problem of slow development with such a small team faster updates are not possible. This has all been said on the last blog, either they just want to say what we want to hear is another issue, though I expect this is going to take longer than anticipated, so sit tight they can still make it work.

RIP PERPETUUM

Lobo wrote:

... stuff about raping mining bots ...

yay, i agree - thats the reason for the loss of players. That the DEV reduced the chances to *** a lonely macrominer, that was not fast enough to log-off when you stepped on his beta island (bad macro).

i am pretty sure that the game would flourish more, if the DEVs would have implemented more mechanics that prevent Mining agents to escape a two man PvP roam when they are not out there with a full PvP defense squad.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Lobo wrote:

yay, i agree - thats the reason for the loss of players. That the DEV reduced the chances to *** a lonely macrominer, that was not fast enough to log-off when you stepped on his beta island (bad macro).

i am pretty sure that the game would flourish more, if the DEVs would have implemented more mechanics that prevent Mining agents to escape a two man PvP roam when they are not out there with a full PvP defense squad.

Mining on Beta / Gamma should not be a risk free experience. The risk v reward of Gamma in particular is way out of line with the rest of the game, which of course is why the rest of the game is a wasteland.

thats not the point of the sarcasm...

the point is that the multiple pvp nerds complain about not beeing able to shoot down targets that do not shoot back.

why is it so that only a tiny little fraction of the whole server runs into a pvp fight without even thinking about retreat?
when the game is about conflict, why do player avoid it as much as possible, and when they seek out for it, the other side runs or hides, despite the fact, that a few hours later, the roles are switched?
why is it so important that mining and "defending" cannot be done with the same robot?

i think the pvp situation in perpetuum can be called "nash equilibrium"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

62 (edited by Merkle 2013-03-03 01:02:17)

Annihilator wrote:
Lobo wrote:

http://i.qkme.me/53dg.jpg

And for the record I'm not complaining as I can and do get to shoot things that don't shoot back usually on a bi weekly basis.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

63 (edited by Dazamin 2013-03-03 01:42:13)

Annihilator wrote:

thats not the point of the sarcasm...

the point is that the multiple pvp nerds complain about not beeing able to shoot down targets that do not shoot back.

why is it so that only a tiny little fraction of the whole server runs into a pvp fight without even thinking about retreat?
when the game is about conflict, why do player avoid it as much as possible, and when they seek out for it, the other side runs or hides, despite the fact, that a few hours later, the roles are switched?
why is it so important that mining and "defending" cannot be done with the same robot?

i think the pvp situation in perpetuum can be called "nash equilibrium"

Most of this is not as much a game design problem as it is just simple human nature. The game intentionally has a cost to losing in combat, so many players are risk adverse. Overall I think having this cost is a positive thing, but it does produce some 'undesirable' behaviour, however that behaviour is not something that can be solved through game design whilst retaining 'meaningful' PvP.

Also you can mine and defend in the same bot, you just won't be optimal at either, so no one will ever do that. Thats kinda the reason theres not just one bot thats the best at everything, you have to decide what roles are most important to you.

a big part is player behaviour - but a big part is also game design.

one part for example is:
Take a new player, that plays this game because its a scifi sandbox with robots.
This player doesn't like PvP for whatever reason.

The standard answer from the community is:
if you dont like to PvP, then this game is nothing for you, so your better off.

The gameplay implementation:
Player are forced into PvP due to game mechanics,
in a worse way then Free2Play games force you into buying premium items

Result:
one noob less that didnt subscribe, or not for long.

Better DEV Response:
Create a gameplay experience that loweres the mental blockade of such player against participating in PvP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The implemenation of 100% save alpha island with zero transition to 100% PvP Beta islands,
implementation of walls and terraforming + free trial scouts + proxy probes,
PvE and PvP having nothing in common,
and non-agressive grind NPCs on alpha
-> those are not gameplay mechanics that help the game in any way to grow a healty population.

even that perpetuum with starships has a transition zone between "save" and "not save at all".

Gamma islands:
even with fully modular bases, hundreds of buildings, hours of terraforming, those bases are still unable to be built or sustained without constant suply from alpha or beta terminals. No need for conflict or trading with other gamma bases.

There are many factors where bad gameplay elements are the reason, not the nature of the player. The game just holds the few player who meet the criterias...

Custom paint jobs is the answer to everything in this topic.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

and a furr-shader for the ictus !

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

DEV ZOOM I WANT A HELLO KITTY PAINT SCHEME, I WILL GIVE YOU $20 US, FOR THAT PER ACCOUNT.  MAKE IT HAPPEN.

+1 btw

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Lemon wrote:

Lets get constructive here, Martha what is the variable factor that has enable STC to not only surivive but establish itself as a PvP corp and one that can hold its own, where many new flood corps have failed before you. Lets compare to other veteran corps who had greater experience and were unable to survive or continue playing. I mean how are you still here where so many others have vanished (even your own leadership from my understanding at one point left you high and dry)

I/We in STC have put in a lot of hard work and are dedicated to the game. Corps with poor leadership will always fail in the end. I see lots of good small corps starting and look at their leadership and i see other corps with lots of challenges and poor leadership.

Single case in point strong leadership = strong corp

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

69 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-03-04 20:53:57)

Tux wrote:
Lemon wrote:

Why did STC survive and thrive where other didn't

I/We in STC have put in a lot of hard work and are dedicated to the game. Corps with poor leadership will always fail in the end. I see lots of good small corps starting and look at their leadership and i see other corps with lots of challenges and poor leadership.

I completely agree with Tux, from the beginning we had good leadership, and as our corp evolved, it only got better.  We have had 3 CEO's and our best one yet is currently in charge.  We hope he stays there for a long time.  Secondly, it might sound counter intuitive, but Lemon, you yourself had a lot to do with STC surviving.  For about 6-8 months we got the **** beat out of us by Eharm, M2S, Hun, and many others.  I'm not calling anyone out for killing noobs.  We wanted fights, and the vet corps delivered.

The fastest way to learn in this game is to loose.  Then figure out what you did wrong, and don't make that mistake again.  More EP and better equipment is always helpful, but its the tactics that win battles and that's what we needed to learn. 

The fact that we came in as under dogs, and knew the odds were stacked against us galvanized our corp.  Yes we lost players, but who hasn't.  The players we did keep were the players, who knew that one day, we would be able to stand toe to toe with anyone, we might not always win, but we have evened the odds quite a bit.  Our entire corp hated Eharm (In a good way!)  you were the threat that forced us to learn, adapt, and eventually thrive. 

If any of the newer corps, or newer players read this.  Trust me, IT GETS BETTER!!!  But like everyone else, you are gonna take a beating.  The best advice I can give is talk to the vets,  go on roams with them,  listen and watch what their FC's do, and after the battle, ask them why they did it this way, instead of that way.  Most of this game is learnable on your own, but PVP is fluid, dynamic, and it is full of surprises.  It's also very dependent on the FC's style.  Borrow from others, but develop your own.  A lot of people B***h about the blobs.  But what it really comes down to is tactics, and having more guns then someone else is a good tactic.  It can be beaten but you have to know how.  You have to know when to fight, when to run, and when to die.  One last thing.  Always die face forward, guns firing.  If you run, you die.

Edit:  Grammar

Tux wrote:

This is the same in any game where players need to cooperate. I'm sure I made this comment before too, that there will always be a group of players that move from another game and try to be leaders. Some make it while others don't, and the only qualification they had to try leading was they were here first.

On the other side of the coin however, good leaders also know when to cut bait. By that I mean, they don't try to make their group play a game that they aren't enjoying.

Martha Stuart wrote:
Tux wrote:
Lemon wrote:

Why did STC survive and thrive where other didn't

I completely agree with Tux, from the beginning we had good leadership, and as our corp evolved, it only got better.  We have had 3 CEO's and our best one yet is currently in charge.  We hope he stays there for a long time.  Secondly, it might sound counter intuitive, but Lemon, you yourself had a lot to do with STC surviving.  For about 6-8 months we got the **** beat out of us by Eharm, M2S, Hun, and many others.  I'm not calling anyone out for killing noobs.  We wanted fights, and the vet corps delivered.

The fastest way to learn in this game is to loose.  Then figure out what you did wrong, and don't make that mistake again.  More EP and better equipment is always helpful, but its the tactics that win battles and that's what we needed to learn. 

The fact that we came in as under dogs, and knew the odds were stacked against us galvanized our corp.  Yes we lost players, but who hasn't.  The players we did keep were the players, who knew that one day, we would be able to stand toe to toe with anyone, we might not always win, but we have evened the odds quite a bit.  Our entire corp hated Eharm (In a good way!)  you were the threat that forced us to learn, adapt, and eventually thrive. 

If any of the newer corps, or newer players read this.  Trust me, IT GETS BETTER!!!  But like everyone else, you are gonna take a beating.  The best advice I can give is talk to the vets,  go on roams with them,  listen and watch what their FC's do, and after the battle, ask them why they did it this way, instead of that way.  Most of this game is learnable on your own, but PVP is fluid, dynamic, and it is full of surprises.  It's also very dependent on the FC's style.  Borrow from others, but develop your own.  A lot of people B***h about the blobs.  But what it really comes down to is tactics, and having more guns then someone else is a good tactic.  It can be beaten but you have to know how.  You have to know when to fight, when to run, and when to die.  One last thing.  Always die face forward, guns firing.  If you run, you die.

Edit:  Grammar

See you had the leadership to carry you through it, now would you say any of the vets that joined early on had any play in this?

It doesnt say a lot for all those other corp leaders *burn*

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Hm, doesn't say a lot about you when your leader left, you started to, well suck, and left the game.

Its ok, I still accept you for you who are.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

73 (edited by Lemon 2013-03-05 22:38:55)

Merkle wrote:

Hm, doesn't say a lot about you when your leader left, you started to, well suck, and left the game.

But at least with my little corps enemys needed all this to even fight us, I would say we did pretty well. big_smile

P.S. your somewhere in there

Look i was your First and Last

Undefeated 2013

74 (edited by Merkle 2013-03-05 22:42:04)

Lemon wrote:

Yea Merkle *** you for have friends.  *Goes off Crying....

Jokes on you tho...I don't have any friends. sad

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Lemon wrote:
Merkle wrote:

But at least with my little corps enemys needed all this to even fight us, I would say we did pretty well. big_smile

P.S. your somewhere in there

Look i was your First and Last

Aren't half the people in that screen shot on your side? Not to doubt your awesomeness or anything. wink