Re: Couple Changes I think would help.

Thank goodness I don't have to point this out, a lot of this stuff is a bit off base here.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Which lights with any weaponry can do better than 140?

28 (edited by Merkle 2013-03-01 23:48:01)

Um bud you do realize if you can go 140 with weps its going to be nearly impossible to kill a detector castle, prom, yagel...right?

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

It's not like a lone castel/prom/yagel can solo kill anything anyway.

Rgr, have fun, this isn't going anywhere fast.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Mash Boden wrote:

It's not like a lone castel/prom/yagel can solo kill anything anyway.

how about 10 or 15 ?

yeah keep thinkin . . . . .

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Why shouldn't 10-15 light be able to kill a mech?

33 (edited by Merkle 2013-03-02 00:13:53)

Tux do you want to explain it to him or should I?

Edit: Please do note, I'm not trying to be overly abrasive here, its just your perceptions of what bots can really do are really out of wack.

Take some time and look at what other people can kill with Lights, and Assaults.  You might be shocked at what people can kill "solo" with very little effort.

It really starts coming down to tactics and how your fit.  If you want some suggestions contact me in game, I'm always open to helping others in any way I can.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

34 (edited by Lemon 2013-03-02 00:54:20)

Mash Boden wrote:

Why shouldn't 10-15 light be able to kill a mech?

They can.....

Idk what your expecting from this, I mean short of telling you exact fit examples which unless you understand the proper way to use them and there weakness's will be about as effective as your forum post.

Listen to the people trying to help you, expand your thoughts on balance and the way things work.

You wont know the right way until you know the wrong. Most of vets have gotten good through trial and error and losing hundreds of times to know most if not all the variables in a  fight to make proper calls/

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Look at all these pro vets explaining how everything is fine and nothing needs changing while 100 ppl in game is considered good...

What I'm looking for is how a 20-30kph speed increase on light would unbalance the game.

37 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-03-02 02:58:49)

Dazamin wrote:

Look at all these pro vets explaining how everything is fine and nothing needs changing while 100 ppl in game is considered good...

Your also missing the point.  The point that everyone is trying to get across to you is a little thing called "The law of unintended consequences".  By making one minor change to a system, you cannot possibly calculate or account for all the possible ramifications of that simple action.  By making a shield a top slot item you radically alter the balance of the different builds, factions, and classes.  Same goes for the speed of lights.

The one thing this game has taught me is that the people who play this game, will very quickly figure out how to maximize a system, or how to fully take advantage of a mechanic.  These players have been playing this game from the start.  So who knows the system better, a new player with 2 months of game time, or a player who has been playing the game through all the patches, through all the changes, and who has watched, first hand, how very simple changes have massively altered the game.  I do not mean to say that newer players opinions do not matter.  They matter A LOT.  But after playing the game for two months, you cant just come in and say this should be changed or that should be changed with out thinking about the balance and the effects that that change would have.  Increasing the speed of one class or changing where a mod goes is a major change to the game, and without TESTING that mechanic you could completely destroy the system. 

Imagine if you will,  trying to destroy a Tyro Mk2, with a .15 shield absorption ratio, and an full accum recharge time of 30 seconds.  it would take a fleet to take out 1 player.  Now, all of a sudden the green bots rain supreme in PVP.  How will all the other color pilots feel?  Would they stay?  Would they quit?  How would a 1 year pilot who speced into Blues feel when all of a sudden his color is totally obsolete because of a simple change to the shields?  or to the speed of a light bot.  This is the point that the "Pro Vets"  are trying to get across to you.

Martha Stuart wrote:

Your also missing the point.  The point that everyone is trying to get across to you is a little thing called "The law of unintended consequences".  By making one minor change to a system, you cannot possibly calculate or account for all the possible ramifications of that simple action.  By making a shield a top slot item you radically alter the balance of the different builds, factions, and classes.  Same goes for the speed of lights.

You know I'm not the OP right? I am simply pointing out that a number of these 'experts' in here have constantly supported and pushed for changes in the game that have reduced PvP, reduced player interaction in general, reduced player numbers, etc, etc. The idea that they should be listened to would be funny if that wasn't actually what seems to have happened.

39 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-03-02 05:12:58)

You seem to think that the gamma changes are what led to the population dropping.  But seeing how the population was low before the patch seems to make your point moot.  And the gamma patch saw a huge number of players come back to check out the new gamma system. 

So from what I am hearing from you is that: If the devs would listen to you then this whole low server population thing would not have happened?

This games problem is not getting people to check out the game, Its getting those people who do check it out to stay and sub.

And yes i do realize that your are not the OP, but when you come in and make snide remarks and offer no suggestions its kinda hard not to think your nothing but a troll.

Lets entertain this no gamma idea.....

Please Dazamin how do you feel the game would have played out without gamma.

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

41 (edited by Dazamin 2013-03-02 05:43:17)

Martha Stuart wrote:

You seem to think that the gamma changes are what led to the population dropping.  But seeing how the population was low before the patch seems to make your point moot.  And the gamma patch saw a huge number of players come back to check out the new gamma system.

Erm no. I said Gamma was one of many things in this game that had been badly implemented. Yes some people checked it out, but given almost none of them stayed how can that be viewed as anything but a failure?

Martha Stuart wrote:

So from what I am hearing from you is that: If the devs would listen to you then this whole low server population thing would not have happened?

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that either. I and others argued against some things that in my opinion made the game worse and resulted in players leaving. Of course the pop was still really low before that, so maybe it didn't make any difference overall.

Martha Stuart wrote:

This games problem is not getting people to check out the game, Its getting those people who do check it out to stay and sub.

Well yes, I agree, and part of the reason for this is that the game is pretty unwelcoming for newbies. Everytime anyone makes some suggestions about changes, its pretty common to see the same faces disagree that 'x' needs changing, like we're in some parallel universe where more than 100 ppl ever log in to this game, and where huge hordes of trial accounts continue playing this game beyond the trial period.

On the OPs ideas, I don't necessarily agree with everything, but I do agree broadly speaking that Lights and particularly Assaults should be looked at. Shield Tanking also, if for no other reason than to shake up the PvP meta which has not really changed for a long time. Things need changing, were not in some point of perfect balance which will be destroyed, change keeps things interesting.

Lemon wrote:

Lets entertain this no gamma idea.....

Please Dazamin how do you feel the game would have played out without gamma.

Well I think the larger groups in the game wouldn't have physically walled themselves off from each other. But in all honesty, I like the idea of Gamma, much as I like the idea of Perpetuum. I don't like the implementation. I think people do get frustrated that Gamma Islands are walled off private areas. It creates a feeling of emptiness in the game world, even if people are logged on, since you have no way of seeing them. I hate automated defences, I hated walls.

This is an open world MMO, players are supposed to interact with each other, and now people are talking about adding instances to the mix, its like we're not gonna be happy till theres zero chance of seeing an actual other player anywhere in the game. I think players should think beyond their own game experience, and about what would be good for the game as a whole, since its not gonna be around for much longer with this number of players.

43 (edited by Merkle 2013-03-02 14:13:34)

Dazamin wrote:

Well I think the larger groups in the game wouldn't have physically walled themselves off from each other.

Are you not in a corp that is currently benefiting from this?

As in to jumping on peoples idea, if they are stupid and not thought out at all, sure I'm going to jump all over them as in the long run its just going to hurt the game MORE.  More time will be spent by the DEV' implementing stuff that was dumb/imbalanced in the first place.  Then a month or so later they have to RE-balance it costing more time.

Think of all the angles here, I think the DEV Team is starting to think more long those lines as we have shown them time and time again that we can break nearly anything they throw at us, and make it work to our advantage.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:
Dazamin wrote:

Well I think the larger groups in the game wouldn't have physically walled themselves off from each other.

Are you not in a corp that is currently benefiting from this?

And your point is? This was exactly what I'm talking about. People would do well to think beyond their own personal advantage or what would advantage their corp, and consider what might be good for the game.

Merkle wrote:

As in to jumping on peoples idea, if they are stupid and not thought out at all, sure I'm going to jump all over them as in the long run its just going to hurt the game MORE.  More time will be spent by the DEV' implementing stuff that was dumb/imbalanced in the first place.  Then a month or so later they have to RE-balance it costing more time.

There have been so many badly implemented ideas in game, Intrusion 2.0, Walls, Gamma Terraforming, etc. There seems to be a lot of defence of the status quo, as if the game is in any kind of remotely good shape.

This ishow itwould play out, the powerblocks would shift even more to be timezoned based to allow them to function on a open beta or onr corp would control the vast majority and the only others on beta would have been sneaking out

i could start naming the corps that woupdnt be able to live on beta or be active with thst open world, it closes  the world to many. They wouldnt have castles to play with and be done with alpha and the game. The walls in theory great idea but were implemented poorly just as with initial gamma, its a trend. One that has been reoccuring with many implementations of new features. This is why we vets are against changes, because they arnt thought out or properly tested before thrown in to live.

Undefeated 2013

Lemon wrote:

i could start naming the corps that woupdnt be able to live on beta or be active with thst open world, it closes  the world to many. They wouldnt have castles to play with and be done with alpha and the game.

You talk about Gamma as if it were some kind of success that brought more players into the game. If players don't want to interact with other players they shouldn't be playing an open world MMO.

Lemon wrote:

The walls in theory great idea but were implemented poorly just as with initial gamma, its a trend. One that has been reoccuring with many implementations of new features. This is why we vets are against changes, because they arnt thought out or properly tested before thrown in to live.

But plenty of vet players supported walls, and objected to them being nerfed. They were a bad feature, badly implemented, but they let vets farm away in peace on beta. To a large extent, the most vocal vets have got the game they asked for. The problem is its a bad game that hardly anyone wants to play.

Dazamin wrote:

And your point is? This was exactly what I'm talking about. People would do well to think beyond their own personal advantage or what would advantage their corp, and consider what might be good for the game.

Funny I was about to suggest the same to you!

The changes that will change how the game will be played are already coming we just have to sit patiently for them to be released.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Arga wrote:

Big Empty World: PVP players complain that they have to drive around for hours just to find (1) miner to kill. Miner complains that they can't get far enough away to stop from getting killed.

No one is getting what they want. I think that's a fairly simple explaination why population is low.

Before Gamma expansion... alot of miners lost full purple rivler mk2s atleast 2-4 a week would pop on the kill boards...... Then we had the termis trial miners still alot of termis deaths but with the release of gamma the number of true miner kills is sad besides merkle/burial spending god knows how much time hunting one or 2 on a gamma that involved terraforming down walls there are very few true miner kills anymore. The small influx of termis/argano kills as of late are people getting killed at honeypot mission sites which turn in to gank/counter gank points.

I said it a few weeks ago to quite a few people remove Epri off Gamma. Reduce the # of gamma islands to 6 and increase the # of Betas to 9. Make each Beta have only 1 or 2 player controled station and 1 or 2 NPC controled station. Split the materials between the 3 factions even more. Get rid of Alpha 1s add another station to alpha 2 and link them with a triangle again or make a syntec island for noob players that has low level spawns and low amounts of ore in multiple spawns for learning purposes.  Doing this will increase (PVP on Betas for Epri) drama for islands but give carebears (Gamma's with all mats but Epri/faction minus) something to do but have to keep an open eye instead of parking the rivler in a epri field in gamma and leaving the game running in the back ground while watching a movie and listening for probe pings at the gates with an alt. What should the # of players per island be? I know many times I've scouted an island to find it empty. Can the Dev's do a check of what islands have had little to no use and just cut them out? Besides the 6 big gamma fortress and 3 beta one islands and 1 beta 2 island how many PVP islands are being used for PVP? heck you can check the Killboards and see that really only 4 Gamma islands are being with pvp happening. Risk vs Reward is way out of wack the Rewards just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Now I have to attack a base how many times to kill it? 20 or 30 F*(&$^) rediculas. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

TL:DR to many good places for castles not enough sappers to kill them. Rebalance the amount of land vs population but be ready when more pop comes to reopen islands.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

Oh I agree, Langruhm, Berger's Island, Bleumon, Novaya Trava, Landers Bridge, and Guthraw should all be wiped and turned into betas.

Imidero should however, remain as it is, untouched and a virgin gamma. 

Its FAR to late to TRY and shove the cat back into the bag. 

We really don't want to get into the gamma imbalances right now anyway, trust me.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13