Play the game.....

Re: Walls :: first impressions

Can't go anywhere anymore.
What to do?

28 (edited by Arga 2012-02-05 00:18:08)

Inspiration wrote:

Walls should be restricted to outpost defense/fortification

SAP's need defending, not outposts. Without PBS there's noting to fortify or defend except operating on the island.

I agree, walls slow down roams and ninjas, which is what walls are for. As defense, they totally suck because you have to leave a gap in them to get in and out. Non-collision mechanics means 1 missing piece in a wall is all you need to breach it.

I suppose the real question is, what is Perp PVP about?

As for walling off mining spots, the balance of encounters with indy operations has alwasy been skewed in favor of the attackers. Forcing miners to 'hug' the outposts, have multiple accounts (eyes) and highly limiting thier productivity (making it too risky for anything but epitron).

Probes alone don't help. Without walls to funnel attackers past probes, once a masked bot knows where the probes are, they can easily bypass them; meaning probes can't be trusted as eyes and are worthless.

Limiting walls to castle fortification resets the beta experience right back to the same thing as no walls or probes.

The point that seems to be missed here is walls gives players a sense of ownership over the island they are choosing to occupy. Walls/probes make beta places where corps can actually live and work, which is one of the stated goals of I 2.0 and allow them to secure the area.

It simply can't be both ways, in the same area. Either an area is roaming PVP or its territory war. Roaming has been a big part of the game until now, simply BECAUSE there was no way to slow it down. And SAP's were loot-pinta's that 1 or 2 high EP players could slip in, snag the can, and slip back out. If roaming PVP is to be the ONLY type of PVP, then just remove outposts all together. Or rearchitect some islands to be pro-roam, and some islands to be territory warfare, but history has already shown that unchecked roaming makes USING a beta island so difficult that it burns players out.

tl;dr - Its alwasy darkest before the dawn. Walls/probes are part of a developing territory and roaming PVP game that simply can't be rolled out turn-key, because we keep demanding new things and to see progress. It would be good to not over-react to how ugly the primer coat is, and wait to see the finished paint job. Unlike the first iteration of probes, walls are not game breaking, but they are game changers.

One more time Arga you manage to explain it clearly. Not gamebreaking, game changers.  But all the fuss with whiner is tha they dont want the game to change. They like the good ol' light ewar roaming. That is getting a bit boring for everyone. I like walls, they are game changing, and the game needs change.

Devs are trying to get us out of the dark ages, where tribes and pirates control the world. We want empires. We want the Wall Of China. To stop the mongols.  So shut up upset mongols. The wall is there tongue

I have to agree with arga...

i wanted to build my great wall..... but then te cost totaled 120mill & i made a far shorter wall smile

on a personal note im enjoying walls from a slightly more aesthetic POV.
I enjoy using wall block as sort of Highway markers smile & if i do say so my self they do look cool have em in long promenades.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Walls are fine with no decay.

The major issue is you cannot feasibly eliminate them unless u take a hauler around with a cargo full of bombs..

The easiest way to fix it would be to make bombs  much lighter then 10u (say 1u) and much cheaper (say 100k) but I think doing this negates the efforts of the group building the walls and makes the walls themselves totally worthless.

Fix:

You should be able to shoot walls!
Walls need enough HP so they can't be one-shotted by a handful of light bots. It should require the effort of putting together a group or the investment of time to destroy a section of wall.

Inappropriate signature.

32 (edited by Dazamin 2012-02-05 05:17:00)

I accept that walls may well make more sense with PBS, but I almost think the wall system would make more sense with the old intrusion system, with a big squad fighting their way to the Outpost with the defenders falling back through the defences (Maybe this is what PBS attacks will be like). To be clear I quite like the idea of walls, but if definitely think they need adjusting.

Intrusion 2.0 was supposed to be a move away from that style of play (I quite liked the big battles myself, the timers not so much), more fluid with stability going up and down as gangs hit SAPs. Stability 100 OPs were supposed to be a rare thing (They weren't). Then you add walls + probes which are very much an anti roam device. They stop you getting anywhere quickly, and to be even slightly fast you need a sequer full of bombs following you. You're also fairly likely to get spotted by a probe so it won't be a surprise. So what happens when you get near an outpost? Everyone is docked, maybe theres an undefended SAP to take \o/. The point is, Intrusions were specifically changed to suit a more small gang roaming style of play, large battles rarely happen now, whats the point? The enemy bring too many to a SAP, just dock up they can only drop a few points off it. If you make it too hard for people to roam, whats left?

Basically, theres very little reason to fight as it is, SAPs aren't that important individually, maybe there will be more indy guys on Islands, but they'll be much harder to get to and aren't likely to fight back too much. Crazy idea, but I think you should have to defend your stuff, not have walls and probes to do it for you. Or alternatively, if everythings gonna be behind walls with an early warning system for intruders, maybe there should be something worth fighting for behind it, fewer SAPs but each one has more of an impact on stability maybe? Intrusion 3.11 for Roam Groups smile

33 (edited by Celebro 2012-02-05 10:44:55)

Walls have only been around for less than a week, and some island have been spammed with Walls, Construction is too quick. There needs to be a cheaper and more convenient counter for Walls, plasma bombs are too expensive and requires a sequer to even roam, most roams I have heard about are just shooting at them either through npcs or other players on the other side.

With some small tweaks to the system should be fine IMO.

RIP PERPETUUM

34 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-02-05 20:13:53)

Wow, some of the arguements and accusations of lazyness here is just epic.

What involves more effort here:

A) 1 time spamming of walls, with occasional review for punctures, making it almost impossible for anyone to get beyond immediate entry to an island, with probes at strategic locations that ping everytime a hostile gets near it

B) Constantly having scouts out, or detectors, and a ready defense force to respond to any incusion of hostiles on the island in question, and having to pay attention the whole time you are out doing any activity on beta?

It's astonding that so many who in the past claimed to be pvpers and want to have "good fights" now want to hide behind walls and be totally safe, with no risk, farming and mining on beta.  Another "easy button", and yes it is easy.  It's expensive and takes time, but once that time and expense has been done, it's a simple and and cheap to maintain.

It's a good indication, when people resort to ad hominem attacks and insults to argue their points.  An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument..  It's a pretty good indication that those resorting to it have little or no valid points to add to the arguement.

PS- keep posting in yellow Dan, it suits you, you are defineately "yellow", so concerned to be able to hide behind your maze of walls and not actually have to work to defend your territory.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Wow, some of the arguements and accusations of lazyness here is just epic.

What involves more effort here:

A) 1 time spamming of walls, with occasional review for punctures, making it almost impossible for anyone to get beyond immediate entry to an island, with probes at strategic locations that ping everytime a hostile gets near it

B) Constantly having scouts out, or detectors, and a ready defense force to respond to any incusion of hostiles on the island in question, and having to pay attention the whole time you are out doing any activity on beta?

It's astonding that so many who in the past claimed to be pvpers and want to have "good fights" now want to hide behind walls and be totally safe, with no risk, farming and mining on beta.  Another "easy button", and yes it is easy.  It's expensive and takes time, but once that time and expense has been done, it's a simple and and cheap to maintain.

It's a good indication, when people resort to ad hominem attacks and insults to argue their points.  An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument..  It's a pretty good indication that those resorting to it have little or no valid points to add to the arguement.

PS- keep posting in yellow Dan, it suits you, you are defineately "yellow", so concerned to be able to hide behind your maze of walls and not actually have to work to defend your territory.

Can we just say who this is...its Kent who is doing this, we all know it, just say the F'ing names.

62nd/War Claims to what "good" fights but in reality all they want is to be super anti good pvp.  This includes any Blob they can possibly use, Zero fun and exiting PVP will come of these walls.  ZERO.

Lets cut through all the BS and talk straight at least.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

Wallspam is bad, m'kay?

Trying to work a route through beta islands, only to discover that your ingate is completely walled off from the rest of the island (I'm looking at you Urria Bellil) is kind of heartbreaking.

Defensive structures are fine, I'm okay with that, and they open up some really interesting PvP avenues (in my head, I'm already constructing switchbacks and mazes), but walls should not be allowed to cut off all access to an island. Regardless of whether or not these walls can be breached, regardless of whether or not breaching them requires a fleet of sequers stuffed to the brim with plasma bombs, they need to have some limit to their maximum length, and free standing (i.e. non PBS attached) walls should be breachable in some way by an ordinary mech gang without the need for siege weaponry.

Either that, or give me a gorram jump button.

I've not been around this game for long, but I had been enjoying roaming around with a gang of newbies until walls appeared.

Suddenly what was quite a dynamic PvP game is being locked down. It's already hugely weighted towards veterans - which I am fine with, but do think could be differently scaled - but to make the beta islands even less accessible to newbies is absurd. I get that people want to protect their assets, but at the same time reducing risk for players ALSO reduces excitement in playing. I'd rather people actively defend their territory rather than passively walling it up. If the population of this game is to grow then making traffic around the more interesting beta zones MORE difficult not the way to go.

I raised this in general chat and got "use bombs" as an answer, but frankly the logistics of getting a gang of new players together is hard enough without also having to find away to move bombs about.

I get the idea - user made structures are a superb idea overall - but the implementation here is way off. Hell, it's flawed against even basic game mechanics: right now I could log off in the field, have walls built around me while I am offline, and then log back into be trapped.

V poor. Rethink please.

38 (edited by Annihilator 2012-02-06 01:45:16)

Mechs are enough to get through walls... Dunno about Tyrannos... but Kains can cut through walls like through (niani)butter, Artemis has it a bit harder.

well trained and t4 fit yagel and arbalests can do it too.

i have a question for those who have used them already:

Bombs AoE damage - does it have LoS and if yes, is it calculated from the floating part ?
I just wondereing if they hit only the first row of a wall, or everthing in their range.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I'm going to add my two cents AGAIN, bombs need a price reduction and a U reduction, currently only mk2 mechs and above, and a sequer can carry them... Considering you need two to kill a wall.  We all know how sequers fare in pvp.:fuuu:

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

I'm going to add my two cents AGAIN, bombs need a price reduction and a U reduction, currently only mk2 mechs and above, and a sequer can carry them... Considering you need two to kill a wall.  We all know how sequers fare in pvp.:fuuu:

Agree with this completely, perhaps walls wouldn't be quite so annoying if the supposed answer wasn't 1) A giant pain in the arse to take with you. And 2) Quite expensive for new players / corps particularly. Although to be fair, plated sequers are quite literally tha bomb!!!

I dont feel walls them self need to be nerfed... but the counters to them need to get a bit of a buff... But this must be done carefully. Otherwise you make walls a useless new feature & thats the last thing we need imho.

@ all the Wall QQ... i get what u say & in part i agree but with out knowing what else the devs have planned for PBS its a tall order i think to say walls are OP (med to long term).

I do enjoy the freedom we have to be able to place walls where we want them.
Ask your self this: Do you want a true sand box play ground? Or do you want a sandbox in a bucket ? smile

PS. not all of the island Alliances have chosen to wall them selves off from the out side world. Ive noticed many who are using walls in a more directing traffic fashion than the Im going to wall the world out North Korea style... (aka you kentagua tongue ... never seen so many walls tho fuuu tongue)

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Annihilator wrote:

Mechs are enough to get through walls... Dunno about Tyrannos... but Kains can cut through walls like through (niani)butter, Artemis has it a bit harder.

well trained and t4 fit yagel and arbalests can do it too.

Just wondering how you manage this when walls are non-targetable?

Just an idea in line with others expressed in this thread:

Free standing walls should be targetable, but...

Either connected to Outpost or a some kind of hub structure, walls have a shield of some sorts, so they cannot be targeted directly and bombs are required.

Make the hubs use some sort of resource as well... plasma eg. that would hold up the shield and would require refilling every 5-6 hrs or something.

Note about bombs: if they are buffed they'll be abused in other areas so walls themelves need changes, not bombs.

45 (edited by Egil 2012-02-06 12:47:19)

Mark Zima wrote:

Note about bombs: if they are buffed they'll be abused in other areas so walls themelves need changes, not bombs.

Maybe there could be like a permanent wall and semi-permanent wall in the same location.. I'll try and explain:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You first designate a location for a wall and the nanites build it up. What you have on that tile though is two different structures. The base structure on the ground.. and the wall itself.

Let's say that the wall itself is tough to destroy..but not as tough as it is now. It will slow down attacker sure..but you don't need to spend 10 mil in nic to get through it. Either implement a new smaller/cheaper bomb..or make the wall targetable.

HOWEVER!

IF you destroy the wall the base structure on the ground still remains. You can safely move over the tile where you destroyed the wall. But in time the nanites will slowly start building the wall up again.

The groundstructure could either be built and destroyable by all but very costly. (Griefing still available)
or
maybe the current islands outpostowners are the only ones who are allowed to build and to remove them. (Non-griefing )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: AND ADD GATES SOON PLEASE!!! wink

46 (edited by Annihilator 2012-02-06 13:00:12)

M Piquet wrote:

Just wondering how you manage this when walls are non-targetable?

Uh, someone has blocked my path
8 Minutes later

total cost of the experiment: ~300K NIC, most of it Ammo.
According the whining it would need 6 plasmabombs to get through all three walls. They had enough hitpoints to sustain 1 bomb and the distance was bigger then the explosion radius of Bombs

Disclaimer: no bombs have been exploited, and no NPC have been harmed or killed for this experiment

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Egil wrote:

**some good ideas & much bolded text smile

Your ideas i really like! gates would be cool to! smile

But if walls become easy to destroy then i want a "wall monitoring station to be brought out that will give me a notice saying a wall tile has been damaged or destroyed (warning should be delayed tho so as not to turn into yet another intruder warning system... i guess).

48 (edited by Mark Zima 2012-02-06 13:32:57)

Egil asks for anti-decay. Whatever you do walls will regrow in the end. With no work for defender and constant drain for attacker. Same with gates. Wallspam will become even more viable since it won't block spammers.

Walls are not hard to break but they are annoying and there is nowhere for low level PVP to happen.
PVP is now solely around taking outpost. Any sign of danger results in 'ECorp Maneuver 1A' (Run, hide) which is very easy to do.

This is not so much an issue but it has turned PVP islands from very unsafe and requiring massive online forces to reasonably safe and requiring no online forces.

50 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-02-06 13:47:14)

The other option is to remove all walls from beta & make them a gamma island only PBS when those islands come out.

leaving beta free of walls & to be the place were younger less EP'd players can get into pvp...

coz lets be honest ... the wall QQ is going to keep going no matter what the devs do.