Re: Walls :: first impressions

Arga wrote:

Why not just make the walls temporary in a manner that doesn't require mind numbing upkeep? Like 100% for 30 days, then they disappear, and not self growing?

Umm... Isn't that pretty much the same as now, but without even the possibility for an upkeep?

102 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-02-08 22:17:36)

Arga wrote:

Also Zoom, please fix the dev Blog which says

Deployable walls

Also as an early herald of PBS, we’ll give you the possibility to build persistent walls for passive defense of your territory.

As this is no longer accurate.

ACTUALLY that statement is still true tho they need maintenance now.

Arga wrote:

It's not.

So, were chatting in IRC.

Why not just make the walls temporary in a manner that doesn't require mind numbing upkeep? Like 100% for 30 days, then they disappear, and not self growing?

thats what we have now lol.... bar you have the choice to renew them.

Your way would just plain old suck. And make even more work for your self.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

After last patch walls became worthless nicsink.
I request revert patch as soon as possible due to risk of having useless content if you want to keep current mechanics of walls as content to fill gameworld with 1x1 wallbricks.
If you have problems with amount of placed walls i would like to propose adjust prices for walls

or

replace walls with laser fence http://warby.bitproll.de/projects/0037_ … wer_01.jpg : Despite how long your wall, to broke it you need to destroy less number of connectors.

You have an internet connection that runs great, but you have to go online and authorize a payment for it everyday. Everyday you miss, it slows down a little, and eventually stops. Or, you can stop by the Internet office and pay for the whole month at one time.

Which would you prefer?

Arga wrote:

You have an internet connection that runs great, but you have to go online and authorize a payment for it everyday. Everyday you miss, it slows down a little, and eventually stops. Or, you can stop by the Internet office and pay for the whole month at one time.

Which would you prefer?

You missed the part where the others bomb and ddos your connection now and then, and then you have to buy a new package anyway smile

Thanks Devs u are realy doing something ur good at. Over nerfing stuff. Gratz

Now to the point, the walls where time consuming as they where, and now they are even more time consuming, what a great idea, or not. It would have been better just to restrict where u can put them. Or just make the walls be at lvl 10 when u plant them and they just dies, instead of that decaying BS.

[05:36:51] <Lemon> i hate you... just so you know

[15:05:49] <Ville> I have to admit, that was pretty fu**ing pimp ^^
                           http://www.perp-kill.net/related/749

Decay still has not address the issue of 95 tiles per 21x21.

With shorter walls, and trying to use less tiles, because of the upkeep (your new mechanic), walls will now be more easily griefed.

Using walls to make a choke point, means your enemy can now come in and place down just a few walls to block it off completely.

Please fix the griefing issue with another patch, or should we just wait 28 days until it expires to walk out?

Kanogi wrote:

Now to the point, the walls where time consuming as they where, and now they are even more time consuming, what a great idea, or not. It would have been better just to restrict where u can put them. Or just make the walls be at lvl 10 when u plant them and they just dies, instead of that decaying BS.

TEARS ALL OVER THE PLACE. I'M DROWNING! HAAAAAALP!

Jasdemi wrote:
Kanogi wrote:

TEARS ALL OVER THE PLACE. I'M DROWNING! HAAAAAALP!

Jasdemi im impressed of how bad u are at trolling even with all the practice u got yarr

Let's be objective here folks.  And honest.  Those who went totally ape spamming walls are obviously going to hate this.  Those who have few or no walls really will not be impacted much at all.  The point being, that you can still have as many walls as you want, you just have to be willing to maintain them.

This is appropriate, because now it is not just a matter of grow and ignore, and only replaceing the holes punch thru.  It requires effort to sustain, just like SAP scanning, just like outpost defense.  It allows for groups to create essential structures, but not to be able to sustain spamage.  You can build what you want where you want it, but now you have to be willing to maintain it, you actually have to spend effort and NIC to keep them strong.

It will take 21 days for a fully grown wall to decay, based on 4 hp ( the average) every 8 hours decay rate.  Personally, I think that is too long a time, 3 weeks. But it is better than what it was.  The ablity to create your own structures has to be balance with some sort of mechanic, else they can be deployed everywhere and anywhere, with the only limitation being how much NIC you have.

Regardless of personal investment and agendas, we have to look at things objectively.  Just because it benefits you personally does not make something a good game mechanic.  We want a healthy and dynamic environment that will provide interesting and exciting gameplay.  Sorry to say, but sitting behind massive static structures is about as exciting as as, well, watching concrete set.

As I have stated in other threads, my main complaint is that these kind of issues should be exploded before it is introduced to the game.  People will cry "over nerfed!" when something is changed after they have invested heavily in it, so it is critical that when features are released, that as many as the potential issues as possible have already been investigated, and taken into consideration.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

The conversation has moved on to wall griefing Lupus, keep up.

the funny thing is that it would never been nerfed if some ppl didnt invest so much time and nic into it.

And can we get a flat concrete block we can put on the ground so we can stop the wall greifing? something that only can be destroyed by like 2 chemical bombs and u can walk over it. and it would also work as a block that stops those damn plants from growing every where.

Blah. I'm feeling really snarky, I should probably not post anything as I doubt it would be constructive.

Arga wrote:

Blah. I'm feeling really snarky, I should probably not post anything as I doubt it would be constructive.

That was a self fulfilling prophecy :-)

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

I would like all of the NIC returned from the recent wall testing that was done. I say testing because when the walls were deployed they were advertised as permanent features that we as players could purchase and deploy out to the terrain. Now they are not permanent or persistent as they will destroy themselves after a short period of time. I can assure you if the “Defensive Wall Unit” was released as not persistent then I would have not purchased a single one as there would be no point in deploying them. I have spent hours upon hours designing and deploying these items, hours that are now gone because of the changes made to make these items degrade.   

And I quote

Defensive walls===
The first herald of persistent player-built structures is here! Defensive wall units can be deployed from your cargo onto the ground (beta islands only), and with time they will grow into full-fledged sturdy walls, mainly used for territorial defense.

A special wall compiler module is also available, to speed up the relatively slow "natural" growth of walls - if you have the NIC to spend on the required charges. There are some special rules for building walls too: 1 wall unit can have up to 3 neighbouring walls (diagonal doesn't count), and an area of 21 by 21 tiles can only contain a maximum of 95 wall units. Ah, the mysteries of Hungarian maths. 

I ask and urge you to refund all purchases made for:

Defensive Wall Unit
Wall Compiler Charges
Standard wall compiler module

As it stands without refunding the NIC spent on these items you are essentially deleting my NIC from the game without me even having a choice about it.

If I had the choice to deploy walls knowing they would degrade overtime then I would not have anything to complain about. But you told me at the time of purchase [one week ago] these items would last FOREVER unless destroyed by another player.

I can deal with people shooting and bombing my walls that’s expected. I can deal with the change. I cannot deal with and will not deal with being misled and tricked by developers.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

116 (edited by Morkani01 2012-02-09 06:30:32)

what about having wall decay tied to outpost stability for walls that are within the outposts "territory" as shown on the map, ending with 100% stability=no decay, this would help  prevent walls going up in area's that aren't under any outpost's territory, but would still allow outposts to mount a defence without having to constantly go out to maintain walls (both are too much of a time sink & nic sink as it is now)

I'm not one to say "I told you so..." but it was fairly obvious it was a mechanic that was going to be abused. So it's not really surprising the worst offenders are whining so much.  However I'm sure once they get over that they'll agree walls were and actually still are a broken mechanic implemented by a selection of devs and definately not alf

Tux wrote:

And I quote

Defensive walls===
The first herald of persistent player-built structures is here! Defensive wall units can be deployed from your cargo onto the ground (beta islands only), and with time they will grow into full-fledged sturdy walls, mainly used for territorial defense.

Not only that, but this too:

The first herald of persistent player-built structures is here! Defensive wall units can be deployed from your cargo onto the ground (beta islands only), and with time they will grow into full-fledged sturdy walls, mainly used for territorial defense

So apparently the DEVs changed their minds on the purpose of walls after the QQ started. Shame....

Industrial Junkie

Tamas Vitez wrote:
Tux wrote:

And I quote

Defensive walls===

Not only that, but this too:

The first herald of persistent player-built structures is here! Defensive wall units can be deployed from your cargo onto the ground (beta islands only), and with time they will grow into full-fledged sturdy walls, mainly used for territorial defense

So apparently the DEVs changed their minds on the purpose of walls after the QQ started. Shame....

1) Semantics discussion has already been done, walls are still 'persistent'

2) Explain to me why walls can no longer be used for territory defence?

3) @Tux. Why shouldn't every game mechanic change / fix be refunded then? If my bots stats change and I don't like it, can I get a refund on the NIC and EP I spent to use it?

I'll have all the money taken from M2S for the abuse of the insurance working as intended mechanic as well please.

Simply put if you hadn't abused it the devs probably could have changed it over slower time and implemented a better solution.  As it is MTFU and accept the consequence of your actions.

I love being right, I should be consulted by the devs on all new features in future wink

121 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-02-09 13:36:45)

Lot's of QQ'ing and "I wantz mys moneyz backz"  going on here.  Having personally spent around 100 mil on walls, and replacement walls, and ammo to grow them, and ammunition to blow them up, perhaps I too should be complaining about the use of the word "persistant" and demanding return of my NIC.

Then again, maybe not.

Persistant does not mean immortal.  Walls can be blown up, does that negate the use of the word "persistant"?

Well, damn son, I built this wall and it's not here anymore, someone blew it up and I have to build another! That's not persistant!

And what happens in that case?  You build a replacement, and when it gets blown up again, you build another, rinse and repeat.  Walls grow by themselves, if you do not use the charges to grow them, and I am assuming that the growth rate is the same as the decay rate.  21 days from flat tile to full heigth wall, and 21 days from full height wall to dirt, assuming the average of 4hp per 8 hours.

When you build a house are you done?  Having been a home owner, I know that is anything but the case. There is always something you have to do, maintenance you have to perform, things that have to be replaced, and the occasional broken something, or a tree falls on your garage during a storm.  There is upkeep to keep your home in good shape.

The fact remains that walls, as they were, are unbalanced as hell.  Instead of playing around with them and figuring out the issues and what would happen to game play, many went hog *** wild with them.  And anyone who bothered to think about it objectively could have seen a mile away that some change was going to happen with them, especially if they were abused.  Now you have to be willing to maintain them, and lets be honest people, if you had been reasonable in their deployment, this would not be an issue.  Short sightedness will always end up with it's price.

PS- Walls are not a replacement to that which truly defends territory, an armed force effective enough to defend itself.  Unfortuneately, many resorted to walls as their main defense because they were not able to effectively defend themselves with firepower or scouting out hostiles to keep assets in the field safe.

BETA = RISK, that is what justifies the rewards.  Instead, you want the rewards with little to no risk. For such, stay on alpha, it's where you belong if you want no risk.

Jelan wrote:

I'll have all the money taken from M2S for the abuse of the insurance working as intended mechanic as well please.

Simply put if you hadn't abused it the devs probably could have changed it over slower time and implemented a better solution.  As it is MTFU and accept the consequence of your actions.

I love being right, I should be consulted by the devs on all new features in future wink

I feel dirty for this, but I have to agree with Jelan on this one.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:
Jelan wrote:

I feel dirty for this, but I have to agree with Jelan on this one.

Don't feel bad, makes me feel dirty too, and I am in the same corp as him...

Agree with lupus. "When you build a house are you done?  Having been a home owner, I know that is anything but the case. There is always something you have to do, maintenance you have to perform, things that have to be replaced, and the occasional broken something, or a tree falls on your garage during a storm.  There is upkeep to keep your home in good shape.

The fact remains that walls, as they were, are unbalanced as hell.  Instead of playing around with them and figuring out the issues and what would happen to game play, many went hog *** wild with them.  And anyone who bothered to think about it objectively could have seen a mile away that some change was going to happen with them, especially if they were abused.  Now you have to be willing to maintain them, and lets be honest people, if you had been reasonable in their deployment, this would not be an issue.  Short sightedness will always end up with it's price.

PS- Walls are not a replacement to that which truly defends territory, an armed force effective enough to defend itself.  Unfortuneately, many resorted to walls as their main defense because they were not able to effectively defend themselves with firepower or scouting out hostiles to keep assets in the field safe.

BETA = RISK, that is what justifies the rewards.  Instead, you want the rewards with little to no risk. For such, stay on alpha, it's where you belong if you want no risk."

Also- Walls are just a terrible idea for the game right now.  The small landmasses are now even "smaller" plus more.

Edison wrote:

Also- Walls are just a terrible idea for the game right now.  The small landmasses are now even "smaller" plus more.

Yes, lets refund them and leave them out of the game until gamma islands.