Re: Your game is broken...

Pak wrote:

But the game is very young and things may change. We'll see if it happens.

There's a patch coming out tomorrow/tonight depending on you time zone. So the game is constantly changing.

I think if it was possible to throw in any 'this or that mechanic' in some obvious way, it probably would have been done.

I also agree that the game will develop naturally, or in corp speak - organically. But as different forms of game play emerge that take the simulation in a direction that's not desireable, it should be adjusted.

Occasionaly (ok all the time) I find myself argueing against changes in the way the game plays, more from a sense that these aren't the changes that are needed - adjusting the balance on the heavy mechs is all well and good, but in the big picture it doesn't change much of anything. Now if we were at the point where large power blocks were being destroyed or pushed around by imbalanced bots, that's something different than a couple of skirmishes going one way or another. Same with mining changes, they just don't seem to be addressing the over-all feel that the game is full of players desperatly trying to make something fun out of the game.

77 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-15 08:50:58)

Pak wrote:

While it appears "logical" that whatever the enemy says is not to be believed, you, as a leader, are going to face internal struggle for power (multiple), discontent about how a fleet commander conducted a fight, burnout from the struggle (in a campaign, if you do not keep it up for a long time, all you did so far becomes useless. And if you do, success is still not guaranteed), conflicts between the PvPers crying for more numbers and calling the industrialists and logistics to fight, and the industrialists and logistics that are not interested in PvP. Or the industrialists lamenting lack of local defense/logistics because the fighters are away from home.

I'm not seeing how scale affects any of this stuff, which appears to be the only relevant section. More of it to handle, more people to handle it. Create a culture, don't dictate behaviour. As the organisation grows larger, that becomes even more relevant.

It still sounds like leadership issues. I never had a problem with enemy propaganda (particularly in the vein of 'they're not really your friends!'), and it wasn't for lack of trying on their behalf. You would have to find some very gullible people to buy into that kind of thing. On the other hand, we never lost so I'm not really in a position to understand first hand the kind of pressures that can put on an organisation.

Oh, btw, not that it seems particularly relevant, but I did mean 800 in the alliance, not the server. Still very small scale compared to eve from what I hear.

Mammoth wrote:

I'm not seeing how scale affects any of this stuff, which appears to be the only relevant section. More of it to handle, more people to handle it. Create a culture, don't dictate behaviour. As the organisation grows larger, that becomes even more relevant.

Very very few organizations were successful in EvE with that sort of layout. Those that did were, in fact, powerblocks, not alliances.

Some terminology:
- a corporation is the smaller organizational unit. Similar to guilds in some other games. They have shared offices and hangars, they see each other online, they have out-of-game servers for forums and organization of logistic services. Corporation wallets are used to pay for stuff that belongs to the corporation (like offices or player owned structures). It's controlled by a CEO and possibly some officers. We have them in Perpetuum too.
- an alliance is a group of corporations. Controlled by the leader corporation (actually by the CEO and eventually officers of the leader corporation). It's the smallest organization level that can claim territory.
- a powerblock has no in-game mechanics. It's a political entity. An agreement between multiple alliances.

When you say "More of it to handle, more people to handle it" it means multiple corporations in an alliance (the "more people" refers to the corporation leaders) or more alliances in a powerblock (more people as more alliances leaders).

What actually happens is that most successful corporations are ruled by one or few strong leaders (often in an almost dictatorial way, but sometimes in a more democratic setup. However it's nearly always a "democratic dictator" where the leader "listens" to the base, but still has the power and respect to impose his own decisions no matter what).

At the alliance level, most successful alliances have a very strong corporation that basically leads and gives orders to the others. Sometimes a couple or a few corps take that role, but when that happens they generally are just separate corps leaded by very close friends.

At the powerblock level, however, there is more "talking". That's were a dictator nearly never happens and diplomacy plays the bigger role.

I do not know for sure, but I suspect the reason for this is that there's a huge advantage in having very few people that are "in the know" and understand exactly what happens. The others are kept in the dark and just follow orders. They cannot decide simply because they do not have the information required to make decisions.

Fewer people with the knowledge means it's much more difficult for the enemy to learn what you are about to do and counter it.

I understand it seems all illogical and weird. But those are the social dynamics that have been observed over and over again. We can debate all we want that it may or may not be a leadership problem. But there are a lot of great leaders and organizers in EvE (including a lot of real-life leaders and organizers, some coming from the real life military some coming from the real life industry or economy or whatever). There are a lot of lawyers, diplomats, and other people used to talk and be convincing or to handle PR and social dynamics. And still that is what happens and no one has yet been able to dominate for a long time (long domination = more than 3 years controlling more than about one third of the territory). All I can say is what I observed (and not only me: the mittani's articles seem common sense, but they are well written and report facts and observations of real emergent gameplay). We can speculate about the reasons of these dynamics but we cannot change the fact that they happen despite the will of whoever was on the loosing side. I have a hard time believing that everybody that lost was stupid simply because everybody eventually have both won and lost at that game, depending on circumstances.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

79 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-15 14:33:34)

A small idea: I think a point being glossed over is this (and every time I point out something like this my TS screams in agony in unision) - it's a game.

This isn't a situation of: this is my life and I must live it and there are things I must accept to survive.

This is: this is a game and is a simulation of life and though there are things I could accept to survive in the context of the game, I'd rather also have fun.

The minute you institute the act of play into the model, it distorts, and does so randomly in ways that can only be predicted, as is pointed out, in hindsight.  It means that people can and will be 'stupid' or 'irrational' - and not because they are stupid or irrational, but because the immersion into a game to keep it a game requires a childlike mindset.  Humanity in general is domesticated (which means that some of our childlike instincts are preserved into adulthood) so this sort of behavior should come as no surprise.

Anyone who takes it all TOO seriously is granted one archetype, anyone who plays solely for fun is granted another, arguments rage back and forth about 'This is not who I am in real life' and the truth is - it isn't.

And the real "serious business" starts when the failcasacde starts - it's when each of us sit back from the monitor, run a hand through our hair, and decide if the 'game' is really worth the effort of swallowing one's pride, devoting ones singular dedication, etc, to continue along a goal, all the while being trapped in a 'play' mode of game immersion and not being 100% capable of applying 'adult' logic to a game.  There reaches a poibnt where it is just not fun anymore.

That's what the metagame is.

It's about making the game so not fun, that people stop playing.  Numbers win and the less they have, the more you do.

That is going to be an issue in any PvP game.  It was amplified and glorified in EVE to an extent that, im my opinion, is yucky.  to a point where all of us will do it without thinking because we all suspect on some paranoid level that -everyone else would do it to us without a thought-.

So.. eh.  I am a carebear, I believe in peace and love, but I also believe very strongly in psychology and learned behavior.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

80 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-15 15:44:59)

Warning : Long post ahead.

Sorry I wasn't particularly clear on what I was referring to. I actually was talking about this particular section:

Pak wrote:

While it appears "logical" that whatever the enemy says is not to be believed, you, as a leader, are going to face internal struggle for power (multiple), discontent about how a fleet commander conducted a fight, burnout from the struggle (in a campaign, if you do not keep it up for a long time, all you did so far becomes useless. And if you do, success is still not guaranteed), conflicts between the PvPers crying for more numbers and calling the industrialists and logistics to fight, and the industrialists and logistics that are not interested in PvP. Or the industrialists lamenting lack of local defense/logistics because the fighters are away from home.

None of that should need leadership intervention. If it gets to the point where you are actually facing any of that, you've already made several mistakes, the first of which is developing, through either error or inaction, a culture that encourages such behaviour.

Things like discontent about how a fleet commander handled a fight should be squashed by members of the corporation who understand that 100% perfection is almost impossible to achieve, they shouldn't need direct intervention from the leader of the entire alliance. They shouldn't even need intervention from anyone in a leadership role, and in fact, having leadership intervene in disputes between members should be a last resort, for when the community simply cannot resolve the situation themselves. If the organisation is structured such that fleet commanders are seen as closer to members of the leadership than the regular guys, that goes double.

You should have far more people who recognise that organisational cohesion is more important than any one battle than you do people who will whine about things not going their way and looking to cast the blame. If you don't, you simply can't afford to externalise that onto the whiners and make it all their fault. You obviously have to look at how you got yourself into such a situation.

This is what I mean when I say 'more of it to handle, more people to handle it'. If you try to centralise such things, the workload of your leadership is going to spiral out of control. They need to be diffused through the entire organisation, such that they never cross your desk, so to speak. The means for doing so are fairly clear, and not remarkably difficult. You look at root causes of behaviour. If you've created an organisation where people who want an FC position think that the easiest way to get there is to point out that they could have handled an engagement better than the FC who did handle it, guess what they'll do? Whose fault is that?

How does the quote go? Something like 'Give the people what they want, but make sure they want what you do'?

Dissenting opinions can be encouraged without damaging morale if there is a culture that recognises the organisation is more important and valuable than the situation under discussion. I can *** about my taxes, but I'm not going to move to west africa because they pay less tax.

These are social dynamics that you can observe every day simply by reading a newspaper. These are the kind of social structures that people have been building for thousands of years, why not stand on the shoulders of giants?

It just sounds like a lot of guys want to play autocrat, and due to that mindset, are devaluing the people who actually get things done in favour of the people who tell them what needs doing. The kind of mind that reads The Prince and decides they know all about governing, or has experience leading an organisation with massive inertia working for them and thinks that qualifies them to participate in the catherding exercise that is virtual leadership.

I've been a member of several guilds that were composed largely of military and ex military guys, and the leadership tend to try to stamp the leadership techniques that work in the military onto the guild. It works too, provided the guild is almost entirely composed of military personnel. The most successful leader I have seen of a guild that was closer to 50/50 military and civilians was actually a schoolteacher who had served for a few years.

Real world techniques tend to assume that people are already heavily invested into the organisation. Someone else has done the propaganda, job hopping looks bad, they're signed up for several years, for whatever reason, they have little desire to make trouble. You need to draw on the reasons that real world techniques work, not draw on the techniques. You don't have that inertia supporting you, especially not if you're building an organisation from scratch.

So anyway, back to the point a little, this is why I say that the 'pet' term only has impact if leadership hasn't done their job right. From reading the soss regarding pets, it becomes obvious that such is the case. Alliances are explicitly looking for pets. If it were me, I would be looking for 'business partners to engage in a renewable contract for rights to exploit sectors of space that we can defend but lack the manpower/infrastructure/capital to exploit for ourselves'. There's no gain except a little epeen stroking to be made by referring to people as inferiors when recruiting them. They have the role of exploiting those minerals, you have the role of defending them and exploiting the sectors you can. What makes yours more important? Both are needed.

Gradually you can pass more responsibility for defense onto them, but there should never a need to dictate to them what they must do. If they are regarded as equals whose contributions are important and valued, they don't need orders, they're already motivated to do what needs to be done. They're also willing to hand the responsibility for control of fleet movements over to you as more experienced in that area, provided they are recognised for excellence when it is demonstrated and thus given more responsibility next time.

So I guess if people find the term pets insulting rather than laughable, it's because they really are being seen and treated as pets by their allies. Seems like some (maybe even most) alliances in eve are doing just that. In that context, throwing it around does seem to make sense.

I do see and understand your point. And indeed there are rules and exceptions to rules.

In EvE there are a lot of "pet" and "renter" corps and alliances that are fully aware about being in that role and perfectly happy about it too. They do laugh at the monikers and they do consider themselves sort of "business partners" of the leading military organization in the area.

No-one ever said that you call a friend of your enemy a "pet" and by noon next day they failcascaded and you win the simulation.

It's more a question of war of attrition.

Also I did not mean that a leader of an alliance should intervene directly into a discussion on how a fight was conducted (at least not a discussion among the fighters, a strategical or tactical discussion vis.a.vis with the fleet commanders as a post mortem analysis of an operation is another story, but it would generally not involve comments on errors made, just strategical consequences and possible next steps).

However you do not have full control of how your organization grows, how good the different leaders are in building the right culture and all such things. You can have this sort of control in your corp (size 100-150, but sometimes larger and often smaller). You sometimes have it in your alliance (size 1000-5000), especially if it's made of few large corps and is focused (example a 1000 characters military alliance with 3 or 4 military focussed corps in the 200-300 characters each). You rarely have it beyond that.

Immagine this: a powerblock of 15-20 thousands of characters. Three "main" (in terms of military and political strenght, not in terms of numbers) alliances of about 2 thousands military focused, each also bringing in half a dozen or more "pet" alliances and "alt" alliances. Plus some less powerful alliances that are not directly "pets" of those main ones. This does not count the "renters" because they generally do not come into a campaign (may or may not be involved in defensive actions, but generally they only do it if their very territory is attacked).

There may or may not be a leading one, but within the powerblock the leadership is generally based on diplomacy. Those three "main" alliances will have the main talks. The smaller ones that are not pets may participate, but will have lesser diplomatic strength: they are part of the powerblock mostly as a convenience to them as they are aware they are weaker and it's good to be aligned with someone powerful.

No matter who you are, you did not build all of the powerblock. There are different cultures in the different organizations. The "highest" position you may have is that of the leader of one of the three strong alliances and the satellite alliances around you. No control over the other two groups nor over the minor ones.

So let's switch focus to one of those three organizations. You have built a strong military alliance. Probably you have a 200 characters military corp that you lead, there is another, or maybe two other, similarly sized military corps lead by someone you know very well, trust and share opinions and methods with. Then you have a bunch of possibly smaller alt corps (corps with alts of you and your members) each dedicated to something specific. Maybe logistics and transports, maybe industry whatever. Some of these corps may be  for industrial players that do not have a military main. All together you count 1000 mostly military and have been very successful. You control territory and are one of the three "main alliances" (in political and military terms) within the powerblock.

However you also have renters and pets. Let's forget renters. There are, let's say, 8 alliances that live as your pets. You call them "business partners". They live in your territory and help you defend them. They are partly military partly industry. The military parts came along with you in your campaigns. They generally are the same size of you or maybe bigger.

You did not build them. You have little control on their organization and culture. Together they outnumber you three to six times. Yet you are better organized and stronger. You could kick them in their butts any time. They know it. They became your allies because they believed it was much easier to ally with you and share your glory than try to beat you. You did accept them as "partners" because even if your 1000 are better than their 4000, the 5000 of you together are better than your 1000 alone. For similar reasons you then allied with the other three in the powerblock (15000-20000 is still better).

See the difference: you and the other two similar leading alliances in the powerblock are the ones that really did conquer the territory. The "pets" either helped (under your lead) or came along later. Also "renters" are those that exploit the resources and pay you for that. They are not going to come to fight against an enemy that may live far away (possibly they do not fight: they are industrialists or PvE players that are not specced or trained for PvP. They'll fight, maybe, if the fight comes to their home. But like peasants fighting with pickaxes against cannons).

So you somehow lead a force of 5 or 6 thousands and represent them within an organization of 15-20 thousands. And you have maybe 2 or 3 thousands more that will not fight but somehow you still represent them (the renters). And all you directly controlled and built in terms of "culture" is a 200-300 characters corp. At most a 800-1000 characters (including alts) alliance where, however, you are just directly organizing just one third or one fourth of the people, and the rest are under other leaders that built their corps independently (but you are united because it turns out you learned to know, like and respect each other, and they recognize you as the one representing your alliance).

The above is, more or less, the most common setup. It's not the only one. There have been forces lead by absolute dictators. And there are forces with a totally different organization. For example the alliance of the author of those articles (The Mittani) is atypical: 7000 characters in an alliance of 90 corporations, but the main force is a corp of 2600-2700 characters, a couple of specialized military corps with about 150 characters, a once external military corp that later has been accepted in the alliance counting 450-500 characters. All the rest are industrial and logistic corporations. That alliance historically had very few (if any) pets and renters. They did, however, have allies (as in partners in a powerblock) and occasionally considered "friends" other forces.

Remember also that, when someone is very powerful, the rules are sometimes a little bent. It is not unheard of to go with the rule: you are an ally so I'm not going to invade your territory, but I will eventually roam there and kill you, your pets and your renters if I'm bored.

EvE is harsh. There's no really safe area (think of it as there's no PvP flag and you can actually kill someone in alfa. There will be consequences, but if you really want to do it and are willing to suffer the consequences, you can do it). The metagame is the rule. No matter who you are, you WILL have spies and enemies in your organizations. And they may be closer to you than you think.

Suspect and fear is your daily breakfast. If you do not have the balls for that, go back to WoW. Yes it's a game. Yes, if you are considering suicide for what you lost, you need help IRL. But even if it's a game, it's going to be a hard game. It takes years not only to train the characters, but to build an organization that has some chance of being among those that make history. And your enemies are up to the bar.

Let me tell you of one "emergent gameplay" as they call it. A leader of an organization eventually pissed of a small corp. They decided to pay mercenaries for revenge. The mercenaries accepted. They created new characters. They infiltrated the organization. They gained respect and friendship from them. They gained power. A couple of them became leaders. One became the "second in command". When they felt ready, they organized the trap. Stole the organization assets and destroyed in an ambush the ship of the leader proceeding to kill her afterwards.

You may think she was gullible. She wasn't. She just befriended and trusted someone that turned out to have a secret agenda. A mercenary paid to bring on a revenge. It took him a few years to earn her friendship and respect. Him and his corpmates actually dedicated most, if not all, of their game time over a few years to that very thing: infiltrate her organization and act as dedicated loyal friends willing to work hard for the growth and prosperity of the group. Except that they were actually on a mission to destroy.

Consider what Winter Solstice wrote: it is a game. And this means people are willing to behave differently than in real life. Sometimes they will be like kids even if they are adults. Sometimes they will do things that would make them criminals and possibly bound to psychiatric care, if they did it in real life. But exactly because this is a game, they are not crazy or criminals. One is not following an obsession if he spends years to organize the doom of whatever you have spent years to build. He's playing. You spent years to build pixels. He spent years to destroy your pixels. He's not mad, if you cannot stand the idea, you are the one with a problem. (I do not mean you personally, I'm using a generic "you" here).

So, in such a universe. In such a reality. How sure can you be that if you enact good leadership your organization is not going to fail cascade? And how sure can you be that those words from your enemy did not play any role, maybe a small role, in your failcascade? After all even a billion pounds is still made of pennies.

-- Snowman

82 (edited by Arga 2011-07-15 18:12:49)

Winter Solstice wrote:

it's a game.

You've avoided directly saying the usual quote, which is "It's just a game".

Games are played at different levels. The 'fun' part of chess is very different from you and your dad playing in the den and two grandmasters facing off in the last round of a tournament.

The 'game' is exactly the same, the rules are the same, the motivation and reward are totally different.

I don't want to play a casual game. Perpetuum developers have said that Nia is a harsh world, and I like it that way. The satisfaction I get from 'beating' a difficult world is the difference between kids playing chess and grandmasters.

If you want to know the real reason why Eve vets are getting upset, it's because even if they don't understand it, they can feel that the game is becoming more casual. Incarna is specifically designed to make the game more user friendly and to increase the population.

Perhaps it's inevitable that at some point in a games life cycle, if it becomes popular enough, it has no choice but to cater to it's casual players.

As much bad press as WoW gets here, Blizzard actually does a farily good job of providing World Class raiding guilds with challenges that are at the grandmaster level, while still providing a whole world for casual players to enjoy and learn in; and give them the goal of reaching something difficult to obtain.

That's not to say the game can't be fun, it just doesn't make sense to make it party ballon and clowns fun all the time. Blowing up 20 bots in 2 mins in PVP is "FUN-FUN" but the thrill is gone 2 second after the last bot dies. Being victorious in a 4 hour battle is "Satisfying" fun. Clicking on the store and buying a Capital ship is FUN, spending weeks gathering materials and assembling it, is Satisfying fun.

Everyone who was here 33 days ago was here because they like the satisfction of being victorious, and those that are here 99 days from now will be the same type of player.

Edit: What I meant with the WoW referrence, is that I think AC can and should do a better job of making the starting experience more 'casual' but that it shouldn't carry through to the rest of the game. Give players time to learn the game, then make them earn their standing within it.

I still don't see how what I am saying doesn't apply - Im talking about human behavior IN a game.

A chess grandmaster may play chess for a living - do they?  But it's a rare job.  At least these days they are not beheaded for losing.  There is still a joy derived from it - I'll agree with you with the 'satisfying' aspect.  But I suspect that if a chessmaster was constantly metagamed (people banigng pots and pans outside of his windows before tournaments, sleeping with his wife, tyurning his kids against him, etc) he'd still eventually think of giving up chess if that was the cause. 

That was my ultimate point.

And you're right re: eve in that aspect as being one of the things peeving people off - casualness.  But i dont think it was the ONLY thing.  Obviously eve players by nature WANT more easy marks. wink  I think add ot that pot of simmering WTF that exploded the following: it's alright for the players to grief eachother, but the minute the game griefs the players, a line has been crossed and "*** just got real".  It wasn't just a CQ that pissed people off.  That's as much of an oversimplification as saying someone shot in an assasination died simply because of exsanguination.(there were hundreds of things contributing to the final act, its just that bleeding to death was one bit of the puzzle)

As for the wow thingy:

A theme park game caters to the lowest common denomiator as rule, and tries to add exeptions to keep the dediated people interested.

A sandbox needs to try cater to every denominator, period.  If that is what's missing here I'd say it is solely because everything is still developing and that fitting in aspects for others without dumbing it down for everyone else is a minefield and theres plenty of examples of where other games exploded trying (swg anyone). 

Every game sandbox or not that simplified a combat system, a crafting system, etc, to make something easier -the wrong way- suffered at least a few outcries.  I remember EQ2's craftuing system getting dumbed and nerfed and dumbed and nerfed and etc ad inifnitum as an example and it drove the crafters batty, devalued them in the game society, and wasted the 'satisfying time' they put into learning it.  nerfed combat systems, simplified loot tables, gosh, shake out your bag of mmos youve played and you can point to all the spackle smeared over the tapestries of complication to make a game 'easier'.

I dunno.  I guess the issue is that the first error made is that people assume all gamers are 'simple' people and things can't be made 'too hard'.  (exclude PVP from the equation for the moment, cause the human element can make a game of 52 pickup complicated egardless of the mechanical rules.)

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Lots of point in there.

- For wow, what I was saying and it applies here too, is that making something 'simpler and easier' after a while is OK as long as you continue to provide new challenges for advanced players. For instance when bliz nerfs older raid content, the players that havn't cleared it yet get upset, but guilds like Paragon don't care, because they have already beaten it on hard mode and don't need to be the only one with the sparkling pony to know that they are good.

As you say, the game is still new, so it's not ready to be nerfed. The trouble with the sandbox game is that there's no clear way to seperate the hard content from the starter content, because it's player driven.

Oh, and I wasn't saying psycholgy to meta-game doesn't apply - every post here is meta gaming smile

Maybe perp just needs a more indepth PvE missions.  (owait big_smile)  Patience, we has it wink

----

86 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-16 03:02:24)

Pak wrote:

Together they outnumber you three to six times. Yet you are better organized and stronger. You could kick them in their butts any time. They know it. They became your allies because they believed it was much easier to ally with you and share your glory than try to beat you. You did accept them as "partners" because even if your 1000 are better than their 4000, the 5000 of you together are better than your 1000 alone. For similar reasons you then allied with the other three in the powerblock (15000-20000 is still better).

See the difference: you and the other two similar leading alliances in the powerblock are the ones that really did conquer the territory. The "pets" either helped (under your lead) or came along later. Also "renters" are those that exploit the resources and pay you for that. They are not going to come to fight against an enemy that may live far away (possibly they do not fight: they are industrialists or PvE players that are not specced or trained for PvP. They'll fight, maybe, if the fight comes to their home. But like peasants fighting with pickaxes against cannons).

This is where our communication is failing. You see corps with lesser military might as intrinsically inferior. We're back to 'smaller corp allying with bigger corp is bad, because'.

Pak wrote:

EvE is harsh. There's no really safe area (think of it as there's no PvP flag and you can actually kill someone in alfa. There will be consequences, but if you really want to do it and are willing to suffer the consequences, you can do it).

Punishments for killing people in certain areas of the game sound pretty weak to me. Nullsec sounds fun, but simply having highsec in the game kind of removes the opportunity to call it harsh. There are plenty of really harsh games out there. Haven & Hearth for example is too harsh for me, I make a new guy there every world and quit as soon as he dies, which typically doesn't take longer than a couple months. Last time it was because I made the foolish, and fatal, error of trying to swim across a river, since I heard swimming had been made easier. It had too, I nearly made it.

from what I heard perp tried to install a similar mechanic to highsec, but the sentry towers in "Alpha" were buggable to hilarious consequences so they instituted a flag system.  But this is just hear say I heard that someone said. wink

----

Mammoth wrote:

This is where our communication is failing. You see corps with lesser military might as intrinsically inferior. We're back to 'smaller corp allying with bigger corp is bad, because'.

I do not. They are not inferior, they are unable to singlehandedly conquer and then defend (therefore control) territory. Therefore it is the military that have political power. In this sense (less political power) they are inferior as a fact, in EvE. Only in this sense. Also 'smaller corp allying with bigger corp is bad' is not true. But 'less militarily focused organization needing to ally with a strong military force' is an unescapable reality in EvE. I do not consider it 'bad'. But whoever defines 'good' as being militarily strong or having political power, will consider them 'inferior' (and by that definition, they are). Of course it turns out that, for the most part, those that decide what the definition is for 'good' is, are the ones with the power to decide who can do what where. And in eve those with that power are the military strong. And, not surprisingly, they define 'good' as themselves, and 'bad' as anything else.

Mammoth wrote:
Pak wrote:

EvE is harsh. There's no really safe area (think of it as there's no PvP flag and you can actually kill someone in alfa. There will be consequences, but if you really want to do it and are willing to suffer the consequences, you can do it).

Punishments for killing people in certain areas of the game sound pretty weak to me.

If that's the case, then you must hate Perpetuum. In Perpetuum you just cannot kill someone on an alfa island at all. That's even weaker than being punished for doing it: you are punished for just wanting to do it. At least in the sense that you are outright prevented from doing what you want.

Note that, in EvE, the current "punishment" only came as a dumb-down change when they realized that they wanted some more casual people. In the very beginning the consequences were much much less punishing than today.

-- Snowman

Winter Solstice wrote:

from what I heard perp tried to install a similar mechanic to highsec, but the sentry towers in "Alpha" were buggable to hilarious consequences so they instituted a flag system.  But this is just hear say I heard that someone said. wink

It would be interesting to find more info. I do not see how that could be the case (well, I do, if I assume it was implemented stupidly, but I do not think the devs are stupid, therefore I do not see how they failed to implement it).

-- Snowman

90 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-16 04:40:25)

Pak wrote:
Mammoth wrote:

I do not. They are not inferior, they are unable to singlehandedly conquer and then defend (therefore control) territory. Therefore it is the military that have political power. In this sense (less political power) they are inferior as a fact, in EvE. Only in this sense. Also 'smaller corp allying with bigger corp is bad' is not true. But 'less militarily focused organization needing to ally with a strong military force' is an unescapable reality in EvE. I do not consider it 'bad'. But whoever defines 'good' as being militarily strong or having political power, will consider them 'inferior' (and by that definition, they are). Of course it turns out that, for the most part, those that decide what the definition is for 'good' is, are the ones with the power to decide who can do what where. And in eve those with that power are the military strong. And, not surprisingly, they define 'good' as themselves, and 'bad' as anything else.

Except they need allies to exploit that space. Devaluing the importance of that is the problem. 'I can shoot you in the face through my foot' is not power, and thinking that it is goes a long way towards explaining why these organisations are struggling with such simple things.

Pak wrote:

If that's the case, then you must hate Perpetuum. In Perpetuum you just cannot kill someone on an alfa island at all. That's even weaker than being punished for doing it: you are punished for just wanting to do it. At least in the sense that you are outright prevented from doing what you want.

Note that, in EvE, the current "punishment" only came as a dumb-down change when they realized that they wanted some more casual people. In the very beginning the consequences were much much less punishing than today.

At no point did I say 'harsh' is intrinsically superior. In fact I did mention that some games are too harsh for me, although EvE definitely does not sound like one. My first MMO experience was a lot harsher than that, no such thing as a safezone. Similar to most of my MMO experiences actually.

The problem here lies in the fact that you're assuming certain things to be true for me because they are for you. You're assuming that I must hate perpetuum simply because most of the games I've played have involved much more stringent penalties for making mistakes and no safe areas, because 'harsh is good' in some way. In general that is true, but there are reasons for it in each case, it's not axiomatic. Perpetuums system has its own appeal, and it's not devalued by the fact that there are more hardcore games out there.

Pak wrote:

It would be interesting to find more info. I do not see how that could be the case (well, I do, if I assume it was implemented stupidly, but I do not think the devs are stupid, therefore I do not see how they failed to implement it).

Assuming that having safe areas is for 'casual' players is why Eve is ruled by those with military strengh, but why Perpetuum has the opportunity to be better.

If you constantly have to be worried about getting suicide ganked then you have no choice but to militarize everything, when there is a place in the game where politics, money, and connections are the only way to get something done, then those become more important then combat.

Mammoth wrote:

Except they need allies to exploit that space. Devaluing the importance of that is the problem. 'I can shoot you in the face through my foot' is not power, and thinking that it is goes a long way towards explaining why these organisations are struggling with such simple things.

Except they do not need to exploit the space. And in EvE 'I can shoot you in the face through my foot' is power.

There are only a few things you *need* to exploit in the space you conquer (and they are the reasons you want to conquer it to begin with). Mostly moons. And they do it themselves. In the old times they would never let other people do it because control of the moons was the mechanic that defined control of the territory. Today the two things are unrelated so they exploit the moons that give insanely valuable resources and leave the rest unexploited or available for the renters.

The other "must have" are the structures needed to build capital (and supercapital) ships. These, once again, are anchored at moons. And it can only be done in conquerable territory (cannot use a hisec or lowsec moon for that). Also you do want to do it somewhere you have a tight control of because building one of those babies requires weeks (or months) for the build time and the equivalent of multiple man-months of mining in terms of raw minerals. You really do not want an enemy to destroy your factory while it's cooking a titan and holding all that ***. They used to do this themselves when you could count the number of supercapital ships in the whole game on the fingers of one hand (no way a pet or renter would be allowed to build one: he'd become stronger than you). Today we see fights with hundreds of supercapitals on each side. Go ahead renters and build some, then sell them to me anyway because you do not have the military force to use and defend them (they cannot be docked and are juicy targets) . Or do not: most of the blueprints and capital parts required (and often capitals themseves) are actually somewhat easy to buy on the (contract) market, nowadays.

Note that both moon mining and upercapital building are mostly AFK activities. You set it up and only need to go back once in a while to collect the produce and refuel the structures. It's mostly logistics (and marketing to acquire the resources or the fuel). But you do need to defend the structures (which is, in fact, what the military excel at).

Most military organizations have internal industry and good logistics. Very very few need to exploit the territory resources beyond moons and some NPC grinding.

One of the largest forces in EvE, years ago, had a very strong industrial focus. They also had numbers and a lot of military, but exploiting the territory, transforming through industry and then selling on the market was what they did best. Of course they had riches and resources and ships and fittings a gogo. In fact they were the first ones to succeed in building a supercapital. Which is one of the reasons they have been, soon after, been wiped off by a mostly dictatorial based military focussed force. Which of course also had a strong industry and controlled a very rich territory, but when you are among the top 2 or 3 forces in the game, of course you do have all aspects covered. Still military is the enabling aspect. You can me somewhat successful with military (and logistics) only. You can do nothing without a strong military arm (or ally). Of course get all aspects covered and you'll be better than military only. As long as your military subset is actually stronger than any potential military only force. Else they'll crush you.

Mammoth wrote:

The problem here lies in the fact that you're assuming certain things to be true for me because they are for you.

I'm not. I'm trying to tell you what the reality of EvE is and why, probably, the social mechanics we were discussing earlier (like failcascades) were not due to weak leadership (which is what you were considering the cause).

Mammoth wrote:

Perpetuums system has its own appeal, and it's not devalued by the fact that there are more hardcore games out there.

Sure. Also what I like of these games are the social, political and economic (mostly the economic, if you consider industry and politics as being part of the economy forces) dynamics. I'd even go as far as saying that I'm more interested in observing those dynamics than in participating in them.

I do play. Casually, if you want. But the main reason I will, most likely, keep a subscription (or, in the worst case, subscribe for a month once in a while) to both EvE and Perpettum (and a few other games, but none yet is as good in this regard as EvE is) is to observe what is changing over time. Much more than actually playing. I do need to play a little because a lot of this *** is absolutely invisible to whoever doesn't play. Most EvE players (and devs) do not understand the EvE market and not even the EvE industry, as seen as a market force (I'll do what everyone does and pull a percentage out of my ***: 95% to 99% of EvE players and devs do not understand it). I myself probably only understand it only to a small degree.

All of them understand what is clearly visible. Few understand what is going on beyond that (for those coming from EvE: Akita T and few others probably get it a notch better than the devs themselves, including Dr. Eyjo).

-- Snowman

93 (edited by Pak 2011-07-16 08:06:41)

Arga wrote:
Pak wrote:

Assuming that having safe areas is for 'casual' players is why Eve is ruled by those with military strengh, but why Perpetuum has the opportunity to be better.

If you constantly have to be worried about getting suicide ganked then you have no choice but to militarize everything, when there is a place in the game where politics, money, and connections are the only way to get something done, then those become more important then combat.

I was referring to the reason it was exploitable, not to the reasons you do not want it to be part of the game mechanics.

Anyway I disagree that suicide ganking and wardecs are the reasons to militarize everything. The reason EvE is mostly military is because the most important resource exploitation in nullsec and the most important industrial exploitation in nullsec are both AFK activities except for defense of the territory. The fact that CCP wants EvE to be mostly military is why they designed it this way.

Also I am not convinced that militarizing everything is bad in and by itself. Actually I think the military not only is the most important aspect of the economy itself, but there's almost nothing that can replace it. But this is another story.

As for Perpetuum doing things better, it currently isn't, IMO. It gets some things better (depending on how you define better). But from my point of view there are a bunch of problems that are going to prevent the market and the economy from developing no matter how many players join the game. And as far as I'm concerned that is a capital sin for a sandbox. I'm still interested exactly because things may be changed and it will be interesting to see exactly what impacts will the changes have and how long it will take for the economy to develop after those changes. We'll see how things go in the future.

-- Snowman

94 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-16 11:07:13)

Pak wrote:

Except they do not need to exploit the space. And in EvE 'I can shoot you in the face through my foot' is power.

Obviously they do. Otherwise they wouldn't be looking for people to exploit them, they'd exploit the lot themselves. And nowhere has 'I can shoot you in the face through my foot' ever been a form of power except in the minds of easily destroyed alliances. It sounds especially so in EvE. You shot him in the face, but you shot yourself in the foot to do so. Now you still have a ton of guys who need shooting in the face, but you can't walk. And they're coming for you.

'I can shoot you in the face, period' is the situation you need to create before you start beating your chest and lording around, and that is not a situation you will ever find yourself in with allies, because it would no longer be in your interest to be allied to them.

If you can't leverage (example from soss) 8% of the value of a titan *  the number of people paying you rent/tribute per month into a strategic advantage, you have no business calling yourself an effective military force. If you think you don't need a strategic advantage, same again. Ergo, you need people to exploit that space in order to be an effective military force. People might pretend they don't, but it's obviously costing them. Acting superior to people you need doesn't sound all that bright to me. To each his own though.

The whole thing sounds like a massive logistics fail to me anyway. You should be exploiting that space yourself, and if you don't have the wherewithal, you're overextended. Every post seems to emphasise leadership failure as the root cause more and more.

I would be far more inclined to laugh at the all conquering chest beating heroes who took something they couldn't use and need to prance around flexing their e-muscles to the guys they 'gave' that space to than I would at the guys who saw and took an opportunity to make a buck, increase their capability, and develop some experience, all at levels beyond what it seems like they should be able to.

I'm late to the thread. Can someone TL;DR it for anyone that's put off by walls of text. I've read most of it but I'm lost on what the current discussion is now.

Something about meta gaming and game corp size balance?

@mammoth
Things are a changing. I'm not very well connected with nullsec life today but I suspect it is now somewhat important to actually exploit the territory. The value of the territory itself is now tied to the amount of exploitation you do and the sheer number of supercapitals employed in current warfare suggests that the revenue from exploitation (or renting) is now important.

However this was not the case a few years ago (and the failcascades and other facts reported by the Mittani are a few years old). Money flow is the main concern. When having a fleet of capitals was something very few could afford, not only economically but also in terms of skills, one of the most powerful forces was not eve a real landlord: they were mercenaries. When capitals became common and supercapitals were rare, moon exploiting alone was all you needed to sustain your organization.

Yes, having renters was an advantage (more money was always better than less money). But many forces did not have them or had them but really could have survived without. Alliances with established control of territory had them or exploited the territory themselves. But alliances that were doing the conquest war often did not (and couldn't because they had not an established territory).

It's actually hard to say for sure, because the ever evolving situation makes the boundaries between "no need" and "need" blurred. Also because many of the "no need" actually did have them anyway. You would have to have full access to internal accounting by one of those big alliances to know how important the revenue from renters was. I was never an officer of any of them, therefore I do not know for sure. But from what I know I suspect that many could have done quite well even without the revenue from the renters.

In hindsight I think the main reason to exploit the territory was to build the economic capital needed to develop a large supercapital fleet. It was needed at the time, but it eventually became essential with recent developments. Therefore it was mostly a mid-long term necessity than it was a current one. I also suspect that most did not do it for that reason. I think they did have renters either for pure greed or to save the money in case they were to lose their territory and needed some economic inertia to fight back.

Also remember the big difference between renters and pets. Renters exploit the territory. Pets actually hold territory and administer it however they see fit, as long as they defend it and help you in your wars. Many were (and are) real renters. Few were or are real pets. It's just a derogatory name the enemy uses to indicate a less powerful ally (or just an ally of yours they are trying to insult by saying it's inferior to you).

-- Snowman

Alexander wrote:

I'm late to the thread. Can someone TL;DR it for anyone that's put off by walls of text. I've read most of it but I'm lost on what the current discussion is now.

Something about meta gaming and game corp size balance?

Interesting social dynamics happened in EvE warfare in the past (and, to an extent still happen today). Are they the result of leadership failure? Some say yes, some say no.

Why is the military might considered the one and only real measure of power in PvP areas in EvE? And is it actually the most important aspect?

-- Snowman

The hell is this thread?

For those of you talking about secrecy etc, that's not really how TEST or Goons handled things in EVE. Mittani did a pretty good explaining the three different models, but I'm going to focus on the glories of Space Communism.

Space Communism is a lot like a modern social democracy of the parliamentary model with a strong French style autocratic President at the top of the pyramid.

Each of the various important areas has a guy in charge of it. So, defense, accounting, pos management, etc. That guy is responsible to the directors and the CEO. They also have a staff and can often pay out rewards to staffers based on, you know, some *** metric or other. People only handle the top dog roles for a limited amount of time so as to prevent Karttoon/Bobby Atlas/SirMolle/Evil Thug/etc style burnouts. Functions are limited and compartmentalized, but on a regular basis members of the Swarm are given a look see to make sure that everything is running in an efficient and not-corrupt manner. This management style has evolved over the course of various near death experiences, and pretty much guarantees that no one but the top dog can steal everything and burnout is limited. There are also public postings of the audits to keep the wallet safe, secure and un-raped.

Taxes are kept low and individual earnings/initiative are encouraged, but the real wealth comes from domination and taxation of various natural resources in the form of moongoo. Some moons are national assets, others are owned privately but pay a heavy tax. Outsiders have occasionally been allowed to own bonds in various moons, but it's more common to raise funds within the swarm.

The social part of the social democracy is the full reimburse on ops given players fit a mandated fit. Players without enough cash to make things work are able to requisition free rifters as needed.

Why does this work better than the autocratic or council methods?

Well, the autocratic stuff requires a cult of personality to build up. It usually involves a significant amount of corruption, and fails to develop a significant number of the sort of mid level leaders necessary to carry operations to a successful conclusion. "Nepotism" and factionalism are rife and typically connections are more important for getting stuff done than official titles or actual results. It's also brittle; if the autocrat burns out, the corp usually enters failcascade mode soon after. Lack of delegation is common, leading to ever more rapid burn out.

The council stuff fails because nothing gets done ever, period. Everyone gets sick to death of meeting related *** and while it's more democratic, it's also more useless than tits on a bull. That said, it's more resistant to burnout than the autocratic model and tends to build a strong identity based culture rather than a cult of personality. So if it survives it'll survive a long time, even though most fail early due to the inability of the councils to agree on any decision at all ever. Byzantine is a common adjective when describing the workings of the council and the various factions that grow up around it.

Space communism combines the two -- you've got oversight, delegation and burnout resistance from the modular delegation, and the ability to act and react rapidly thanks to the authoritarian element of the various division leaders and the overall CEO of the alliance. It also tends to have a strong identity and a lot of low level decision makers who can handle stuff before it becomes a big *** deal.

All in all, space communism is best.

Space communism is inferior and outdated to the whip & whistle doctrine.

Just sayin. wink

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Psst, Syn, we are on the whip only doctrine now.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please