51 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-14 14:18:37)

Re: Your game is broken...

Predator Nova wrote:

Maybe a partial solution would be the implementation of a wormhole-space like region. Random portals with mass limitations that would make it a major headache for larger corps to establish themselves there, leaving the adventurous soloist with an outlet to pursue his/her dreams of becoming rich beyond imagination.

Easy enough to do with valleys with no permanet teleports, one terminal, and limited bot-sized access.  But even at first glance this is a logistical nightmare to balance.

Plus its a pvp mmo, either pvp in the combat sense, or the indy sense, or the market trader sense, or the political sense.  Separating people isn't the answer either.

"renters" "pets" and "alliances" as words all have *** on their boots and it all got tracked in from EVE, lets be honest with ourselves.

If everyone can wash off their boots first and not recreate the past (that pissed off so many people to begin with in its OWN context) we'd all be a lot happier.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

52 (edited by Predator Nova 2011-07-14 15:01:39)

Winter Solstice wrote:

Easy enough to do with valleys with no permanent teleports, one terminal, and limited bot-sized access.  But even at first glance this is a logistical nightmare to balance.

Plus its a pvp mmo, either pvp in the combat sense, or the indy sense, or the market trader sense, or the political sense.  Separating people isn't the answer either.

"renters" "pets" and "alliances" as words all have *** on their boots and it all got tracked in from EVE, lets be honest with ourselves.

If everyone can wash off their boots first and not recreate the past (that pissed off so many people to begin with in its OWN context) we'd all be a lot happier.

Sure the terminology is from Eve but all this happened because the game is what it is. It's not a matter of having a wrong mentality, it's simply cause and effect. We can wash boots all we want but without some game mechanic change pets will be pets in Perpetuum also, unless we all decide to Roleplay, like CVA did.

The idea of valleys is a good one but I fear available landmass is not large enough to accommodate a lot of them. Maybe small satellite islands instead?

And it's not separating anymore than the current island infrastructure is, as long as you don't do something silly like EP restrictions on teleporters. It would simply mean the roams would have to adjust their bot sizes.

This is my blob. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

53 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-14 15:29:31)

Well sure we can roleplay, and it could eliminate the need for ANY PvP, period.

If another roleplayer (or normally roleplayer, but not here) can see it any different, help me out here, but I'm not seeing PvP as viable in an RP sense -at all-.

Between something as simple as the advert video to the existing lore, the us vs them is us (as earth Agents) versus them (as Nia residents), not us (as earth agents) versus them (as other earht agents).

It's basically - earth is out of resources, there are 3 companies, theyre all functioning through one Perpetuum Project to get energy from Nia.  So there is no RP reason in the lore to PvP, period.  We should all be happily gung-hoing it against the NPCs, anything else is detrimental to the survival of our own planet.

The only people who would PvP in an RP sense would be extra-trerrestrial hippies who feel that we shouldn't be raping Nia if its resources, and so try to stop those who are doing so at every turn.

But keep in mind that CVA also happily roleplayed blasting the *** out of other groups for reasons that existed in the game lore, as did many of the other roleplaying corporations and alliances in EVE. 

Those reasons do not exist in the lore here.  In the case of Earth draining energy from Nia it is do or die.  There is no reference to this triad of corporations being at conflict with eachother at all that I have found - you could 'assume' a conflict of some sort - or at least a 'separation', but it does not exist.

Simultaneously, in a RP sense there is no sense of loss here, which is necessary, even if it is the loss of fictious  'baseliner' crew.  All you lose here is a bot 87,000 miles away.  this leads to in an immersion sense, 'senseless violence'.  It's not 'hurting' anything to blow up your assault bot, so why not?  There's no real consequence.

So atm there is no reason to ally or enemy anyone when roleplaying.  So, you'd end up with the same scenario.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Winter Solstice wrote:

RP Explanation

Yes, exactly my point. I wasn't actually advocating that we all RP, I was merely saying that this is the sole reason NRDS existed for CVA in the first place. Sorry if that wasn't clear. smile

What's a pet?

Predator Nova wrote:
Winter Solstice wrote:

RP Explanation

Yes, exactly my point. I wasn't actually advocating that we all RP, I was merely saying that this is the sole reason NRDS existed for CVA in the first place. Sorry if that wasn't clear. smile

Gotcha.  ... tbh I was blue in CVA space on my pirate, and still refused to undock if anyone was in system... paranoia big_smile

----

Mammoth wrote:

What's a pet?

Eve terminology.

Derogatory name for a corporation (or even an alliance) that is considered worthless and weak but lives and prosper in PvP areas thanks to the protection/benevolence of a bigger and more powerful one. It especially applies to being weak/worthless in terms of political power, not intrinsically in terms of economical or military one (note however that those things are related: superior economical and military power generally also implies political power, therefore the lack of the latter is also generally considered to imply lack of the former).

Pets will "obey" orders from the more powerful force and have compulsory participation in military operations organized by them, in exchange for the "permission" to live in and use the resources of the PvP area they jointly control.

The derogatory "pet" moniker is not to be confused with the (sometimes also used derogatorily) moniker "renter". A renter also has permission to live in the area and exploit the resources (sometimes with specific limitations), but it is not generally required to participate in military actions, except for those of "territorial defense" of the specific area they are renting and, occasionally, bordering areas. However "renters" do have to pay a weekly or monthly fee for the privilege of living there and not being attacked by the main controlling force.

In simpler terms: "pets" are allies but with no (or very limited) political influence. "renters" are exactly what the name implies: people that pay for not being attacked.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

58 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-14 17:20:04)

So basically it's a small corp that allies to a large corp? And a renter is someone who rents access to resources?

Mammoth wrote:

So basically it's a small corp that allies to a large corp? And a renter is someone who rents access to resources?

It works the same way as fleet vs blob arguement. If it's one of your blues he's an ally, if it's an opponent's blue he's a pet. Renter is pretty neutral though and yes, as you say it's someone who pays to have access to the space you control.

So basically it's a term you use when you want to insult someone for being in a small corp? I'm just trying to figure out how exactly someone came up with the idea that a small corp allying with a large corp is worthy of a negative term. What is bad about it?

Mammoth wrote:

So basically it's a term you use when you want to insult someone for being in a small corp? I'm just trying to figure out how exactly someone came up with the idea that a small corp allying with a large corp is worthy of a negative term. What is bad about it?

It's seen as weak by the leet pvp crowd since, by their logic, if you can't do it alone you shouldn't be doing it. It's the whole anti social sociopath mentality "I stand alone, super rambo leetface" surfacing. I wouldn't worry about it.

No just curious. Seems like a bit of a disconnect between 'doing it alone' and 'doing it in a massive corp that doesn't need stronger allies' though.

Isn't the small corp retaining at least some of their individuality while gaining the strength of a large corp, while those who join the large corp are pretty much just part of a faceless mass?

Seems to lack any coherence. Unless it was commonplace in EvE for a small corp to compete successfully with a large corp?

Mammoth wrote:

No just curious. Seems like a bit of a disconnect between 'doing it alone' and 'doing it in a massive corp that doesn't need stronger allies' though.

Isn't the small corp retaining at least some of their individuality while gaining the strength of a large corp, while those who join the large corp are pretty much just part of a faceless mass?

Seems to lack any coherence. Unless it was commonplace in EvE for a small corp to compete successfully with a large corp?

It's all relative really. A large corp doesn't have to be a faceless mass of people, it all depends on how it's run, how much effort is made to integrate new guys, how often corp ops take place, strong leadership vs weak and a whole lot of other factors. On the same side a small corp can be just as faceless.

And yes it seems to lack coherence because it's not. It's just a stamp put on people by narrow minded folks who insist on painting everything black and white, either because they really don't know any better, or for the infamous "lulz".

Yeah sounds kinda like calling someone a noob after they just smashed your face in really. Just a word used to insult, but kind of counter to logic.

65 (edited by Pak 2011-07-14 19:10:44)

Things are sometimes more complex than that.

The dominant force does not need to be larger than the "pet". There have been cases of numerically "small" (relative term) alliances that were extremely powerful.

AFAIK the term emerged from the forum dump of one of such forces. The "PvP l33t" members of it were lamenting about an ally corp that, in their opinion, was failing at strategical and tactical levels during a campaign and needed continuous spoon-feeding. Someone called it a "pet alliance" in a rant posted on the internal forums of the more powerful group.

Of course as soon as a forum dump of their private site became public, that "rant" has been exploited by their enemies in an attempt to grow malcontent in their lines, and specifically in the ranks of all their allies, including those that were not actually being discussed. You can easily imagine how the propaganda went: "you are considered a worthless pet by your own ally, just quit helping them".

EvE PvP reality is far more complex than what you see in Perpetuum (at least now). Metagame is common among the most powerful forces. Metagame is not only spies that join an enemy and steal their resources or report their movements/plans. There also is a lot of psychological warfare. Moles planted in enemy lines sometimes actively work to rise malcontent, dissatisfaction and internal conflicts as a way to weaken or defeat the enemy. Internal forum dumps (from a spy or by cracking the forum security), TS/Vent recordings (again by a spy or by cracking the server) and much more are common tools of the trade. As well as public forum whoring, trolling etc. It goes all the way to cracking the enemy servers and/or mounting DDoS attacks of the enemy TS/Vent server during a fight.

As for the use of "pet" and "renter", as Predator Nova wrote: if it's your friend it's an ally, if it's a friend of your enemy it's his pet or a renter.

Whether this is really the case is irrelevant. You call your enemy's friends either "pet" or "renter" anyway. You are planting a seed. If you are lucky someone among them will start asking "are our powerful allies actually considering us 'just pets'?". And maybe a member of the more powerful force will have to think twice before lamenting about an error of the less powerful one (or if he does not he risks malcontent as the allied corp/alliance may suspect you are considering them 'pets').

Planting such seeds may be subtle, but it has been proven to also be successful in many cases. Of course it does not work "alone". It's just part of a much larger set of stimuli that, altogether, undermine the enemy.

If interested you may want to read Secrets of a Solar Spymasters #20: Inside the Failure Cascade.

Also EVE Online: The Propaganda War and Sins of a Solar Spymaster 21: How to Survive a Failure Cascade are interesting.

In fact all the articles in that series are interesting in some way.

-- Snowman

Pak wrote:

Things are sometimes more complex than that.

The dominant force does not need to be larger than the "pet". There have been cases of numerically "small" (relative term) alliances that were extremely powerful.

AFAIK the term emerged from the forum dump of one of such forces. The "PvP l33t" members of it were lamenting about an ally corp that, in their opinion, was failing at strategical and tactical levels during a campaign and needed continuous spoon-feeding. Someone called it a "pet alliance" in a rant posted on the internal forums of the more powerful group.

Of course as soon as a forum dump of their private site became public, that "rant" has been exploited by their enemies in an attempt to grow malcontent in their lines, and specifically in the ranks of all their allies, including those that were not actually being discussed. You can easily imagine how the propaganda went: "you are considered a worthless pet by your own ally, just quit helping them".

EvE PvP reality is far more complex than what you see in Perpetuum (at least now). Metagame is common among the most powerful forces. Metagame is not only spies that join an enemy and steal their resources or report their movements/plans. There also is a lot of psychological warfare. Moles planted in enemy lines sometimes actively work to rise malcontent, dissatisfaction and internal conflicts as a way to weaken or defeat the enemy. Internal forum dumps (from a spy or by cracking the forum security), TS/Vent recordings (again by a spy or by cracking the server) and much more are common tools of the trade. As well as public forum whoring, trolling etc. It goes all the way to cracking the enemy servers and/or mounting DDoS attacks of the enemy TS/Vent server during a fight.

As for the use of "pet" and "renter", as Predator Nova wrote: if it's your friend it's an ally, if it's a friend of your enemy it's his pet or a renter.

Whether this is really the case is irrelevant. You call your enemy's friends either "pet" or "renter" anyway. You are planting a seed. If you are lucky someone among them will start asking "are our powerful allies actually considering us 'just pets'?". And maybe a member of the more powerful force will have to think twice before lamenting about an error of the less powerful one (or if he does not he risks malcontent as the allied corp/alliance may suspect you are considering them 'pets').

Planting such seeds may be subtle, but it has been proven to also be successful in many cases. Of course it does not work "alone". It's just part of a much larger set of stimuli that, altogether, undermine the enemy.

If interested you may want to read Secrets of a Solar Spymasters #20: Inside the Failure Cascade.

Also EVE Online: The Propaganda War and Sins of a Solar Spymaster 21: How to Survive a Failure Cascade are interesting.

In fact all the articles in that series are interesting in some way.

Perfect summary. Personally I can't wait until the game becomes large enough for this kind of Meta game to fully evolve. It's what keeps the game running.

Well maybe without the RMT behind the scenes tongue

67 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-14 19:18:51)

Seems like a lot of mmo insulting is political, not just in eve. If my allies started wondering if I considered them pets because they were smaller, I'd doubt their rationality. I guess it's a question of how much external validation someone needs. I could see someone with especially low self esteem buying into it.

I'm more interested in the numerically small alliances that were powerful. If that is a commonplace thing then I can understand the use of the term, just as I can understand its use in that particular instance. Otherwise, from all accounts it pretty much just amounts to yelling noob at someone who beat you.

Edit: and hoping that someone will beleive you.

68 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-14 19:24:14)

Predator Nova wrote:
Mammoth wrote:

It's seen as weak by the leet pvp crowd since, by their logic, if you can't do it alone you shouldn't be doing it. It's the whole anti social sociopath mentality "I stand alone, super rambo leetface" surfacing. I wouldn't worry about it.

And this mentality (KOS or nothink) is, what force new/small groups to stay out of Beta (low/null) ....

AS long as this "super rambo leetface" don't learn it, it will ever stay this way and absolut NOTHINK the DEVs do will change it.

The "super rambo leetface" have to learn, that KOS is the problem why they are alone.

It is NOT the good income of Alpha (which isn't as good as they try to tell us).
It is NOT the poor designe of Beta (which isn't as poor as they try to tell us).

It is just on only their behavior!

From an RP standpoint, there are any number of reasons for the triad of companys to fight each other. While it's true that the earth needs power, each of these companies wants to be the sole supplier. As with many Sci-fi movies, the faceless corporations don't care about the people, environment, or fair-play, they only look at the bottom line. Removing the competition means that your company will get all the profit, and any single corp that controls the power supply for the planet, basically rules the earth - which is probably the ultimate goal of any board, though none would say so out-loud big_smile

The Syndicate is kind of the triad overseeing committee, since now no single corp has enough power to dominate, they pretend to work together on the surface for the 'good of earth' but once out of the watchful eye, it's ON. Also there isn't actually any energy flowing back yet, so at this point it's all speculative capital. This is why they aren't too concerned about rogue agents, because other than some minor tech leaking back, the real money will be from the energy, which will have to flow through the Triad. As long as everyone appears to be playing nice, and the engery keeps flowing, they really don't care what happens.

Now, from a non-RP view point, that leads to 'no reason to pvp', just doing it for fun; at least until the energy credit system is in place. The question is if players will value the risk/reward those crystals provide.

In a sandbox game, motivation really has to come from the players. Theme park's give you a trail to follow, but even there you have to actually be motivated by the rewards along the way. In general Theme parks provide more rewards and clearer goals, and theoretical 'end'; even if it's practically impossible to reach.

Politics has to be part of the game, because people are involved in making the goals; and stronger players will be willing and able to influence others to achieve those goals.

Game mechanics should 'stimulate' players to develop their own goals, not be goals themselves. However, and this is a big however, sandboxes are at their core a simulation. It's not possible for players to create and generate everything they need to keep the sandbox a viable 'world', simply because the simulation is limited. This is where the PVE aspect of the sandbox needs to create a bridge over those gaps. NPC's injecting NIC. modules, kernels, and buy orders ect. are there as tools for that.

It's always possible that if a large enough percentage of the simulation organizes for a specific goal, they will always over power the simulation, simply because you can't balance the game around that scenerio not would it be desirable in most cases.

There's no reason to expect to live in peace and harmony on beta, but it also isn't required that beta be an 'arena' where your expected to fight to the death on sight. The trouble is that we don't have the population required to enforce any type of reasonable conduct, i'll use Syndic's estimate, on 5 of 6 Islands.

In essence, the unorganized large % of pvp-4-fun groups have over powered the simulation.

This is every bit as bad for game play as a single corp owning all of beta, because while it's not organized, it is essentially 1 group of players that's dominating 5/6 ths of the game.

I'm all for open pvp and letting players decide the fate of the simulation, but at this point the simulation is not working to the benefit of the majority of players - those same ones that are overpowering the simulation are also ruining their own fun. Since they aren't an organized group, it's not reasonable to assume that a political or meta-game solution is possible.

This leads to the inevitable conclusion that there needs to be an additional game mechanic added to bridge the gap in the operation of the simulation. Or hope that players continue to support the game 'blindly' in the hopes that it will eventually correct itself.

While I can reconize the need for 'something', I don't know what it is, because although I can see much of the big picture, I'm not involved enough in the pvp side to know the effect some changes may have.

Mammoth wrote:

Seems like a lot of mmo insulting is political, not just in eve. If my allies started wondering if I considered them pets because they were smaller, I'd doubt their rationality. I guess it's a question of how much external validation someone needs. I could see someone with especially low self esteem buying into it.

It's a question of scale. When the game mechanics are such that keeping control of territory requires being able to deploy a hundred people for a few hours of fight and you only have partial control of when the fight happens, things get tough.

In the times when those terms began being used, a campaign lasted weeks or months. Fights happened daily and the mechanics required double-assaults: first you attack and put the enemy structure in "reinforced" mode. Then you come back when the reinforced-timer expired and destroy the structure (and replace it with your one). You decide when the first attack happens. The enemy decides how long the reinforced timer lasts (but must do it before your first attack or). Taking a territory required taking control of dozens of these structures and keeping it for several days.

Many fights are therefore bound to happen outside your primetime. It's not unheard of late night alarms for an EvE fight. If your enemy has 5000 players and is somewhat organized, he may well be able to deploy a hundred at almost any time. And several hundreds in his primetime.

You may be able to win with only a few hundred players, but only if you convince them to be available daily for a few hours and keep doing it for weeks or months. And also be willing to come online in the middle of the night. It's easier to get the numbers if you have a few thousands of people who joined your ranks, instead of just a few hundreds. But more people are harder to control.

With few thousands of people it's no more a question of "doubting their rationality". You are guaranteed to have all sort of people around. Including many that are not rational.

The dynamics of a group of 100 players are not the same of the dynamics of a group of 1000 or 10000.

And when you have fights of 100-200 people per side with the timing of the fight not 100% under your control, you are talking of 100-200 out of a group of very focused 500 or normally focused 1500. When those fights happen daily for weeks and are sometimes logistical nightmares (as in when you die you need to travel for 30 minutes in hostile territory to join back your group), things get worse. If you can still ensure numbers in the hundreds daily, you have either a very large group or a very focussed one. Neither are easy to keep going. Especially if you know for sure that you have a few spies among your ranks that covertly work exactly on that: defocussing and demotivating your group.

Mammoth wrote:

I'm more interested in the numerically small alliances that were powerful. If that is a commonplace thing then I can understand the use of the term, just as I can understand its use in that particular instance. Otherwise, from all accounts it pretty much just amounts to yelling noob at someone who beat you.

Edit: and hoping that someone will beleive you.

The "persistently very active" numbers are always 'small'. As for yelling 'noob' to someone who beat you, that's exactly the point. Except that you are not doing it under delusion. It turns out that, given the numbers, you do not need to 'hope that someone believes you': you are guaranteed it will happen. That's why you do not do it under delusion but as a deliberate tactic.

Read the links in my previous post.

-- Snowman

Arga wrote:

It's always possible that if a large enough percentage of the simulation organizes for a specific goal, they will always over power the simulation, simply because you can't balance the game around that scenerio not would it be desirable in most cases.

In a small world with a small population like we have in Perpetuum right now, this may be true.

But when the world becomes large and, most importantly, the population becomes large, things are not that simple.

While it is still true that if a sufficiently large percentage of the population, if united under a common objective, could dominate and rule the whole simulation, the sheer numbers involved will either make it unlikely or make that group (in fact the unity of the group) extremely vulnerable to well organized political actions enacted by a very small group.

Think about it. If the numbers needed to dominate the whole simulation are in the order of 50~70 thousand people agreeing exactly on a specific objective, what are the chances of anyone leading them to that agreement? And if it actually happens, how long would it take for a couple dozen well organized people to infiltrate them and start ripping them apart from within (politically and psychologically?). I would be surprised if such a large group of people could be kept focused for longer than a 6 o 12 months despite someone actively working against it from within.

-- Snowman

@Pak

Sounds like the leadership is leaving room for doubt. I've led a very successful alliance in a game where you had zero control over when attacks on your territory would happen. The game had multiple servers so it was on a smaller scale, about 800 members all told. Half or more of those members were in 'minor' guilds, but no one ever felt like those guilds were not doing their share, at least not in my guild, and if anyone among them ever felt that way they kept it very quiet... obviously. That's simply a matter of following the views expounded in your first link logically. People aren't going to doubt the value of their input if they can rationalise it away, and it's pretty damn easy to rationalise utterly baseless (whichever way you look at it)words from an enemy.

That first article almost caused me to not read any further btw, it was pretty much common sense. The only reason I did read on was due to the fact that someone had managed to verbalise things most people take for granted, which is quite difficult to do. I've read several others now and they've been better, interesting although I wouldn't say terribly enlightening. I quite enjoy the high drama of massive alliances dissolving, so the 'case study' types are my favourites so far.

Pak, I'm specifically talking about the current Perp landscape at this population, not Eve or even Perp's theoretical future, but how the current unaffliated but similarly motivated corps have taken up similar action because of the way the game mechanics are working.

Specifically the large number of corps raiding the beta islands instead of taking up residence there.

When 62nd first broke away, they were the only group without an outpost that regularily roamed the beta Island. Now that is standard, to live resonably safely on alpha Island and only venturing out with numbers or suicidal tendancies to beta. Where you are most likely to meet only other alpha dwellers doing the same.

The 'concept' of burden free PVP was shown to be effective, without having to deal with logistics, politics, intrusions, blockades, or manical vendetta.

As Kalsius said, there's no corp out there that is willing to take on the addional burden of owning an outpost, and argueably there's no need to do so.

If players don't take 'ownership' of contested land then, as I keep pointing out, the game just becomes an "Arena" game with a little ninja mining and player run market.

Mammoth wrote:

@Pak

Sounds like the leadership is leaving room for doubt. I've led a very successful alliance in a game where you had zero control over when attacks on your territory would happen. The game had multiple servers so it was on a smaller scale, about 800 members all told. Half or more of those members were in 'minor' guilds, but no one ever felt like those guilds were not doing their share, at least not in my guild, and if anyone among them ever felt that way they kept it very quiet... obviously. That's simply a matter of following the views expounded in your first link logically. People aren't going to doubt the value of their input if they can rationalise it away, and it's pretty damn easy to rationalise utterly baseless (whichever way you look at it)words from an enemy.

Again it's a question of scale. And also a question of how tasking the mechanics of the game are. 800 people on the server is nothing compared to EvE territorial warfare. Not even the kind of warfare they had a few years ago (and that's what we are talking here, today things are still different). With 800 people on the server a "large" force (numerically) counts in the dozens. If you have a corp of 100 members, it's easy to summon a group of 70 or 80 for an organized fight. Harder, but doable if you are good, to summon a group of 70 for a three ours fight each day for a month or two. But things do not scale. With a corp of a 1000 it's not easy to summon 700-800 for a fight. And very very hard to do daily for a month. Go up another order of magnitude and with a 10000 strong corp you'll find it very hard to summon 8000 once. No chance to do it repeatedly.

The mechanics of territorial control also are important. "No control on when an attack comes" is not sufficient context. What are the consequences of the attack? If a single attack can grant the enemy your territory, you can get it back as easily.

Think it in the context of the old EvE warfare. To control a territory you needed to control the majority of the moons. To control a moon you need to have a POS deployed there and keep it there intact for several days. Only one POS can be deployed at each moon, therefore it's either you or the enemy. Getting a constellation requires control of dozens of moons, each a potential target for the enemy. Destroying a POS requires a double attack: first round you put it into reinforcement. This makes the POS invulnerable for a number of hours (how many depends on how much fuel the enemy loaded in it).

Dozens of targets to be taken. Each requires a double attack. You decide when the first strike comes. But the enemy decides the timing between the first and the second. If you do not show up exactly at the correct time for the second attack (and bring enough power to actually win it), your first strike was useless: you will have to redo it. If you are successful you need to deploy your own POS and fuel it. Then defend it. And also keep it fueled (logistic nightmare in and by itself).

Both the first and the second attack may require an hour of firing by a fleet if there's no one defending (those structures are tough and also have automatic weapons). If the enemy actually shows up it'll take longer (and the attack may be unsuccessful). You need to destroy several dozens of those. AND to deploy and defend several dozens of your own. And then defend them. For days or weeks. And you are, maybe, 20-30 minutes away from the closest place where you can dock, repair and resupply. Capital ships made all this a little less of a problem, but there was a time when not many corps had capitals yet.

Add to the above the fact that a defending force may well deploy several dozens of ships. Often counting into the hundreds. And they are, by definition, "close to home" (logistics, resupply, time to redeploy when you are killed etc.).

The leadership required to organize and execute a territorial conquest, while keeping valid defense in your own territory and while keeping the logistics, the industry and the cash flowing to support that all, is not simple. A small but strong alliance with focused players would count 1000-2000 and lead a block of allied alliances altogether counting 5 to 10 thousands. And would rarely face a single enemy, but multiple forces on multiple fronts (while generally only focus to win on one front and just defend positions on the others).

While it appears "logical" that whatever the enemy says is not to be believed, you, as a leader, are going to face internal struggle for power (multiple), discontent about how a fleet commander conducted a fight, burnout from the struggle (in a campaign, if you do not keep it up for a long time, all you did so far becomes useless. And if you do, success is still not guaranteed), conflicts between the PvPers crying for more numbers and calling the industrialists and logistics to fight, and the industrialists and logistics that are not interested in PvP. Or the industrialists lamenting lack of local defense/logistics because the fighters are away from home.

One tactic used by small forces to defend was ... do not defend: go harass the enemy industrialists until the fighters are called back home to defend. Then disappear so that the fighters get bored and come to fight you again far from their home. Rinse and repeat until the internal struggles between these two groups are so strong that your enemy becomes weak (of course you need a few spies in the high and respected ranks of both the enemy industrialists and the enemy military, to help not only gauge the current situation but also slightly push the struggles up a notch).

I do not doubt you were (and probably are) a good leader. But I hope I did picture you what the reality was in that kind of warfare. And if I did it right, you'll understand that things are not easy. They seem very obvious when reported. But aren't when you live them daily.

Mammoth wrote:

That first article almost caused me to not read any further btw, it was pretty much common sense.

All hindsight is pretty much common sense.

Mammoth wrote:

The only reason I did read on was due to the fact that someone had managed to verbalise things most people take for granted, which is quite difficult to do. I've read several others now and they've been better, interesting although I wouldn't say terribly enlightening. I quite enjoy the high drama of massive alliances dissolving, so the 'case study' types are my favourites so far.

They are not enlightening because they are hindsight and reports. If you had lived them, they would also have a small "enlightening" flavor. Also these all happened a few years ago. Today most of the dramas happen in a slightly different way (exactly because today all those psychological mechanisms are well understood by most leaders, if not by most players). Also the current mechanics of territorial warfare are different. And the numbers involved are different too. It is no more possible, today, to have a chance in territorial warfare with a couple of hundreds of underskilled players just because the are very focused.

-- Snowman

Arga wrote:

Pak, I'm specifically talking about the current Perp landscape at this population, not Eve or even Perp's theoretical future, but how the current unaffliated but similarly motivated corps have taken up similar action because of the way the game mechanics are working.

Specifically the large number of corps raiding the beta islands instead of taking up residence there.

When 62nd first broke away, they were the only group without an outpost that regularily roamed the beta Island. Now that is standard, to live resonably safely on alpha Island and only venturing out with numbers or suicidal tendancies to beta. Where you are most likely to meet only other alpha dwellers doing the same.

The 'concept' of burden free PVP was shown to be effective, without having to deal with logistics, politics, intrusions, blockades, or manical vendetta.

As Kalsius said, there's no corp out there that is willing to take on the addional burden of owning an outpost, and argueably there's no need to do so.

If players don't take 'ownership' of contested land then, as I keep pointing out, the game just becomes an "Arena" game with a little ninja mining and player run market.

You have a point. And the keys are:
- "burden free PVP was shown to be effective, without having to deal with logistics, politics, intrusions, blockades"
- "the addional burden of owning an outpost, and argueably there's no need to do so"

Yes. Perpetuum is probably becoming an "arena" game. And the market, even if it seems to be now more lively than it was in the past, is very very far from being a real market. The whole economy is very broken.

This does not mean things may change in the future, this game is still young.

Personally I'm less interested in PvP (in the sense of fighting) and are more interested in the sociological aspect of these games (in that sense PvP and politics are interesting).

This does not mean I did not PvP. In EvE I've had my share of "nullsec" in syndicate, placid, cloud ring, delve, providence, immensea, detorid and insmother. And even a lot of rifter dogfighting in lowsec. Also I loved roaming with Agony Basic course classes in my rifter as an alumnus. And having my T1 cruiser and 30 others doomsdayed to oblivion somewhere between ethernal reach and malpais and then my pod being scouted back all the way to hisec by an heroic ceptor just to see if we could actually make it 30 jumps in hostile 0.0 with a pod.

I'm also very interested in the industrial and economical aspects. Again I do (and did) play them, but it's not the playing them that fascinates me. It's understanding them.

I think there are several things that are broken and will prevent a real market from developing (too long to explain here). And this, together with other reasons, will in turn make it pretty pointless to fight for territory in betas. But the game is very young and things may change. We'll see if it happens.

-- Snowman