Re: Roaming mechanics (comments on light ewar and stealth)

Possibly I have insufficiently clearly explained the point of view.
I explain:
I consider that robot level should influence a parity of forces aloud. Moreover I consider that robot level should be more important than quantity.

but they already are in that way, don't they? 5 zeniths are more powerful than 5 intakts

Have a productive day, Runner

28 (edited by Prime 2011-03-16 10:43:10)

I consider that 5 zeniths should be stronger 15 intakts.
Compare expenses for manufacturing and for EP.

in case it's 1 vs 3 it seems possible enough. but i hope you understand 1 vs 3 and 5 vs 15 its not the same?

If fairly I was bothered with these competitions on endurance.
I suggest to sum once again up under our opinions:
You consider that all normally and to do it is necessary nothing. I consider that global balancing is required.

31 (edited by Line 2011-03-16 11:09:39)

yes, it's your opinion and my opinion. and yes, your opinion weight is the same as my opinion weight. that means noone gonna change something only because you ask for that, like noone gonna leave everything as is just because i insist. however, numbers of people who agreed with me or just keep playing with current rules is a little bigger than numbers of people who asking for rebalance. maybe im wrong but it doesn't really matter.

i assume you think this discussion is useless. so maybe you we both should just ask DEV's if things are going as intended or not and finish all this continuous madness?

let me be first - DEV's or GM's, please answer this question about balance.

32 (edited by Moagrim 2011-03-16 12:38:34)

Alexander wrote:

Two light robots that know what they're doing can easily kill anything up to a solo mech.

The balance between each stage is off by a lot. Mechs should either get more armour or more damage against smaller targets. Kain is pretty much the front runner of the mechs. Artemis seems the worst mech so far.

While I am not really interested in arguing on how many lower tier bots one mech should be able to take out (really an topic that would only get endless depate), I would like to express my own observations and opinions on what mr.Alexander mentioned in the quote above.

While I certainly do fully agree that there needs to be some kind of system preventing lower tier bots being hopelessly being literally one-shotted, I think this game has really gone overboard with the current mechanics.

Let us compare medium weapon damage (alpha strike) and DPS is on EW-light/ combat-light bot to what small weapon damage (alpha strike) and DPS is on mech size targets.

Small missile damage=35
t4 small missile launcher cycle time=6,5s

Light bot alpha strike damage against mech=140 and 21,5dps
Assault bot alpha strike damage against mech=175 and 26,9dps

Medium ballistic missile damage=70
t4 medium missile launcher cycle time=10,5s
Mech alpha strike damage=280 and 26,7dps

We can already see that because of the much slower cycle time the dps difference is already quite low, but then comes the damage dispersion in to play:

With lvl 5 seismics alpha strike and dps against smaller targets are as follow:
Against EW-light bots damage is 100,7 and dps is 9,6
Against combat-light bots damage is 109,8 and dps is 10,5
Against assault bots damage is 146,4 and dps is 13,9

With lvl 9 seismics alpha strike and dps against smaller targets are as follow:
Against EW-light bots damage is 117,2 and dps is 11,2
Against combat-light bots damage is 127,9 and dps is 12,2
Against assault bots damage is 170,5 and dps is 16,2

As can be seen when the damage dispersion comes in to play we end up in a situation where combat light bots and assault bots are capable of out alpha striking and out DPSing mechs and in my opinion game mechanics that allow this to happen are completely and utterly absurd.

Obviously enough, as anyone who has played this game have seen, in group play mech’s get a saving grace from being able to outrange the smaller bots by a factor of over x2. (Apart from the obvious increased armor points that is).

Tl:dr version of the wall of text above: the mech damage Vs smaller smaller targets should really get a hard look from the DEV team as imho the game mechanics in their current form are really absurd.

oh noes! another maths! ^^

however, thats interesting. did you tried your math on compact missiles?

Line wrote:

oh noes! another maths! ^^

however, thats interesting. did you tried your math on compact missiles?

Compact missiles do x1,5 the damage of the ballistic missiles. Also the explosion size is 8 instead of 9, iirc.

Combined factor would be x1,6875 and you can get the values for compact missiles from my earlier post by using that factor.

All in all my point was to point out in pure numbers where I see an serious balancing issue in the currect game mechanics.

Alexander wrote:

The balance between each stage is off by a lot. Mechs should either get more armour or more damage against smaller targets. Kain is pretty much the front runner of the mechs. Artemis seems the worst mech so far.

Since I already got started on the damage against smaller targets, I will comment on the armor scaling in this game as well.

Imho the root problem in this game is that the armor scaling dependency on fittings is currently really off the charts:

With 5/10 complex mechanics+5/10 mechanics Tyrannos has armor values of:

Speed fit, LWF: 2379
Plate fit, 1 plate: 4590
Plate fit, 2 plate: 6008

Artemis and Kain can add even one plate more and reach up to around 8k armor points.

I don’t really see how one could increase the mech base armor points by any considerable amount when the armor difference dependency on the fitting used is as immense as it is atm.

I can only see it possible if the amount armor plates increasing your armor points would get reduced. Perhaps that would be the way to go?

I don’t really have a strong opinion about this matter apart from that I don’t really see how you can balance a system well where your armor point scaling from lowest to highest point is nearly 400% at worse cases.

it's all sounds like "hey im using THIS fit and %bot_type% are too OP for me nerf them", kinda sorta.

additional point why things should stay as they are i guess. well, more or less. in other case there will be less sand in the box - raise your skills SO, use SUCH fit and bot, gogogo.

boring

still its funny when you have a 5k armor arkhe/mk2

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

I'm not sure how this is working in PVP, but in PVE this is my experiences with a sniper skill'd Artemis.

A Baph and Artemis Grand observer pair spawned outside the terminal.

With preciscion 10, on the Baph I was 4/5.6, with 4 med LCL lasers, it took me about 30 seconds to kill it, and the baph never got a shot off.

The GO Artemis, that took a long time to kill, but there wasn't any point where I thought I was going to lose.

In comparison, it takes almost as long to kill a drone as it did to kill the GO Baph, because of dispersion misses. But it couldn't do any noticable damage to me.

Now, if I hit with all 4 lasers I will certainly 2-Cycle kill a light bot, possibly even alpha it if I crit.

But, if there are 2 or even 3 EW's, I may kill 1 but the other 2 are going to get within range and ECM me, and then all I can do is hope for an ECM fail, lock, and a clear shot.

So, why shouldn't they be able to kill me? It is 3 players against 1 player, and they have to use coordination to time the ECM as well as be fit for draining my acc or they will never out dmg my med. repper and armor.

And, the odds change heavily in my favor as the number of people increases.

1 Mech vs 3 Ewar - Slim chance of winning, best hope is draw, probably lose
2 Mech vs 4 Ewar - Good chance of winning, probably end with Ewar withdrawl
3 Mech vs 5 Ewar - I doubt they would even try

ECM cycle time is 10s, while decent skilled Lock times are under 10s, as long as a Mech isn't double teamed, they will get a lock, the pilot just needs to time the lock with a clear shot.

TL;DR - 3 players with 3 bots are going to have more options and capability than any single bot, regardless of the 'size'. Any 1 bot that could counter 3 or more abilities would be way to over powered.

IMHO defense should have an advantage because defense is boring and attacking is fun.

This is a game. You are going to by default get more people who want to have fun than not have fun, so there will always be more attackers than defenders.

What you have to do is figure out the ratio for YOUR game then balance the attacking bots vs defending bots strength based on that ratio.

I doubt that the people who complain about light electronic warfare bots being « OP » have ever being in an offensive ewar roaming gang. What they perceive as an unstoppable menace is in fact the fruit of an expertly fitted and managed gang using extremely unforgiving tactics.

The failure of one in the ewar roaming gang often leads to the death of all.
All it takes is a failed ECM attempt, followed by a single retaliatory spike from the Kain, and any resemblance of protection the gang had is shattered.

The firepower of EWAR bots is vastly overexagerated. These robots that can be vaporized in a single salvo must plink away one by one the chips of armor of the target for a prolonged period before destroying it. On the other hand the armor of wisely fitted PVE mech is simply impenetrable to an EWAR gang.

The selection of armament for an EWAR is a dilemma on its own. It’s a choice between; the missiles that deal little damage without bonuses, the heavy auto-cannons that deprive you of speed your savior, and the energy weapons that will drain the little accumulator available for your countermeasures.

How would you fit an EWAR thread starter? That’s easy, not so? For an Intakt or a Cameleon for example.

EWAR stufz™ in the head
Guns, guns, guns; lots of them, like … 2 (“light” ones at that too).
An energy vampire, in case you actually think it’s wise to stand toe to toe with a mech. You’ll also need reactor expansion level 12 to squeeze it in.
A frame for speed
An evasion module to stand two salvos instead of one
A repair module to activate ten times for every shot your target takes at you
A recharger for cap stability. Because unlike your poor vulnerable mech that has at least 2000 base accumulator the overpowered EWARS has at most 425.

As you’ll notice you’re two leg slots short. One slot short if you’re using an overpriced MKII. You’re also twice above your reactor limit. Additionally, with all this gear on, you’ll find that you’re as fast as an Arkhe with two medium plates. Bear in mind that it’s best if it’s all T4, like you said roaming is exciting, and nothing is more exhilarating that going around with a 10mil robot that can pop with a single press of the trigger.

The work around, is to take out some of these vital components and compensate with shrewd leadership and unswaying cooperation.

From experience I can say that it is the latter two that are cruelly missing in the players that fall to EWAR gangs.

No amount of nerf, will make you better, but I guess there’s no harm in trying.

I want an autopilot so I can chat while I travel. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -a-review/ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

omfg stop necroposting about ewars - everything was already said about them

And fixed about them.

Current focus is on making assaults and mechs different.

Alexander wrote:

And fixed about them.

Current focus is on making assaults and mechs different.

But, they are different.  Assaults are virtually useless and mechs aren't.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

then assaults should be at least gold and with brilliants

Yes, make it so you can Pimp your assault, and people will drive them for the bling factor.

46 (edited by Guns nButter 2011-05-26 19:49:09)

Give assaults a bonus to hit dispersion, and (edit: optionally) increase hit dispersion on medium guns. Mechs will not be as huge of a 1-up against assaults, and assaults will be better against light bots (especially those pesky light ewars).