Topic: Simple questions about Harvesting and Mining

With harvesting, when a plant dies (not talking Noralgis), does a new one spawn somewhere on the island like mining  fields do?

While we are at it .. how long do mineral fields remain active in a location?  How does the duration work if someone tags it with a miner module?  I suppose there is no way to see if a field was tagged, am I correct?  (Beyond finding green / near black spots in the middle or holes)

Thanks peeps,

-Ensi

Re: Simple questions about Harvesting and Mining

I'd like to know it too.
Also, the mining field should be "tagged" with mining module to start it's relocation timer?

Plants grow randomly, there is no connection between their death and spawning.

As for minerals:
http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Changelog:2014-10-16

DEV Zoom wrote:

As for minerals:

So, basically when Inda was like ... 'no plant on Tellesis!' he had a legitimate issue.

As for minerals :

2014-10-16 - 3.5.2 PATCH NOTES

New mineral spawning system

... Another new mechanic is that untouched mineral fields will fully despawn after a week (useful when fields are spawning to unreachable places on gamma islands). This 1 week timer is reset when at least one cycle is mined from the field.

However, we have no idea IF anyone has touched the field ... Oh bugger!  lol

There was a time back when there are suggestions about harvesting that lead to the idea of the inability to kill plants by harvesting them below 1 cycle count.  Anyone (or Mr Dev Zoom) know if anything has become of the topic suggested a year or so ago?  I mean, I vaguely recall someone (perhaps a Dev) saying it was a decent idea or something of the like.  Really, people only cared about wacking their Noralgis down due to lag or some sort of inattentiveness. 

I wish I could code.  I'd off to help. 

-Ensi

Ensireka wrote:

There was a time back when there are suggestions about harvesting that lead to the idea of the inability to kill plants by harvesting them below 1 cycle count.  Anyone (or Mr Dev Zoom) know if anything has become of the topic suggested a year or so ago? i

There is definitely scope for advanced harvesting and mining modules (new modules = new content) and the ability to queue targets and set harvest/mining limits whereby module deactivates when target goes below a threshold would be useful properties for such modules.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Ensireka wrote:

There was a time back when there are suggestions about harvesting that lead to the idea of the inability to kill plants by harvesting them below 1 cycle count.  Anyone (or Mr Dev Zoom) know if anything has become of the topic suggested a year or so ago? i

There is definitely scope for advanced harvesting and mining modules (new modules = new content) and the ability to queue targets and set harvest/mining limits whereby module deactivates when target goes below a threshold would be useful properties for such modules.

Mr. GM Zoom!  Can we PLEASE do this?  We can also make mining modules that pull from the 8 tiles around it! 

When will we need the flora around the game to produce?  We could make advanced ammo (sup par to PvP ammo) by utilizing sap from the trees or oils from the Oryvia bulbus things ... just saying ... lol.

-Ensi

Resource amounts don't need to grow with amount of players althougth it could be a nice property. If someone decides to aggressively harvest a plant then there is scarcity for others but its  valid market mode and it makes the plant that does get harvest actually valuable.

8 (edited by Annihilator 2016-08-17 15:07:00)

DEV Zoom wrote:

As for minerals:

does your mineral respawn in reality work like you wanted it to?

DEV Zoom wrote:

the system periodically checks the overall amount of minerals on each island, and if this gets under a certain threshold value, a new mineral field will be generated in a random spot.

this translates into: the combination of some half-mined deposits and depleting a full deposit will result in an almost instant respawn of a new full deposit (according to player gossip)
so all that threshold does, is preventing the system from spawning a new deposit right away when you just start mining one, but ensures that there are always a maxium of "X" full deposits availiable 24/7

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

9 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2016-08-17 22:53:40)

AOE harvesting? big_smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Annihilator wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

As for minerals:

does your mineral respawn in reality work like you wanted it to?

DEV Zoom wrote:

the system periodically checks the overall amount of minerals on each island, and if this gets under a certain threshold value, a new mineral field will be generated in a random spot.

this translates into: the combination of some half-mined deposits and depleting a full deposit will result in an almost instant respawn of a new full deposit (according to player gossip)
so all that threshold does, is preventing the system from spawning a new deposit right away when you just start mining one, but ensures that there are always a maxium of "X" full deposits availiable 24/7

Someone once mentioned that a limit to resources would be a good idea, as like flora.  So, Once per day, fields would spawn and when that field was gone on that island ... none would respawn (EvE-arian view).  Now, I personally have a lot of respect for that idea, however, what if we went a slight step aside and did this :

Field spawns and slowly degenerates over time ...

or

Field Spawns and upon being depleted, a new field is produced at a random location at 75%
of the prior field's size and continues till nothing on the island.

or

Fields spawn smaller but containing approximately 25% of the initial deposit ...

You may ask, what about Assignments?  Well, assignments would create a SMALL field for the Assignment squad which upon Completion OR Abandonment OR Log Off would then be removed from the game.  When the assignment owner logs in, we can either have the field respawn at the prior location OR somewhere else ... you're choice.  (Would do the same for Harvesting.)

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

AOE harvesting? big_smile

I can't say i've actually thought of that, just the whole killing Nora plants that gets to me.

Why not make the scanner locate flora ... NOT Noralgis!  To do this, we could have a marker appear at the location of the closest plant (for 5 mins or until harvested, whichever is sooner) with a minimum of 1(or w/e) cycles available.  Harvesting is a pita already, so much driving around to find nothing ...

Just some odd but hopefully interesting ideas. 

-Ensi