Topic: Outpost ownership - make it inspired by E:D "powerplay"

DEV Zoom - don't you think this would work better then everything yet suggested?

IMHO it would even work better in this game then in Elite, and you already have most things it requires in this game code and lore-wise.

it would also work great with your planned "syndicate" shop upgrade and the random mission generator system you are currently implementing.

I will write more details if requested...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Outpost ownership - make it inspired by E:D "powerplay"

I'm not following the updates lately so go ahead.

Anni- only writes upon requests, do it already wink

RIP PERPETUUM

I don't play lame dangerous so please continue

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

doing this one by one:
The "power" in powerplay refers to political "powers". in ED those are leaders of each of the factions (Empire, Alliance, Federation, Independant) you can pledge to and work for them.
For everythign you do for your Power, you gain Merrit points, which translate into a personal rank every week. the rank "costs" you points, so you lose your rank if you do nothing.

Translated into Perpetuum, those would be the Sub-Corporations (eg. Matsuda) for each of the Megacorporations (ASI, TH-M, ICS).

Todo:

• assign each outpost in the world to one of these Sub-Corps. (was already done in the far past)

• re-implement a standing chart for each of those sub-Corps, but disconnect it from the parent megacorp

• DECAY is an important factor - SubCorp standing decays over time. (the "how" comes later big_smile)

• each agents individual standing is also applied to the corp the player belongs to.

short version of what this is used for:
with the standing a player corp has towards one of the syndicate sub-corps (aka the outpost owners) they can unlock station services, from better facilities, unique syndicate shop items up to the ability to lock out someone from that outpost.

Relation poinst are not only gained by running missions, but also by all things done beneficial to the owner of that outpost. This includes doing SAPs, killing agents working for their mutual enemies, paying taxes for using the facilities or buying unique items from the outposts shop.

to be continued...
BUT - doing points are deducted for doing harm (expanded later when i got the time to write that)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

6 (edited by Celebro 2015-08-16 19:30:05)

I did mention once to add a cap on missions standings to take SAPS in order to prevent alts or newish players doing them at least a 3.0 standing to take saps is a good balance.

This 'universal link' that is all connected to standings is not a bad idea either.

RIP PERPETUUM

well, this has several impacts.

for one, the more active you are doing stuff around your own outpost, the harder its taken over by someone else.
you can actively boost your own outposts "fortification" by killing agents on the other side of the gameworld, since they are working for the mutual enemy.

you cannot easisly take over the outpost of the other faction, since it would require to work for the mutual enemy and lower your own fortification.

using alt-corps for that could be done, but to keep the outpost locked, it would need to be more active then someone else.

since all sub-corps of one faction are not mutual enemies, but obviously have their own interests, one player corp can own multiple outposts of one faction, but it defenately makes them weaker. Even expanding into one of the neighbours outpost would be possible due to the relation triangle we have (ASI dislikes TM more then ICS, but ICS dislikes ASI more then TM)

Why?

What's the benefit for the game in all of this?

Only benefit I see is that it would make it easier for you & your friends to try capturing an outpost.

Same agenda as before with unlocking all the Betas.

No risk for all the reward.

This would be ok for another set of islands.  But I think this idea is a big -1

Naismith wrote:

Why?

Only benefit I see is that it would make it easier for you & your friends to try capturing an outpost.

You never want changes where activity is rewarded. Who is biased now?

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Naismith wrote:

Why?

Activity is rewarded as-is. That is the point of Intrusion 2.0. You have to show up for SAPs (be active) over a long period of time (X days) to capture an outpost, and you have to be more active then the competition.

What your buddy is asking for, is implementing a relation-based system that

a) requires you to grind PVE to engage in PVP and
b) lowers your standing with your own faction & lowers your own base fortifications

To paraphrase:

"Zoom redesign the system and make NPC's protect us because its not fair we can't capture an outpost."

If I was biased and pursuing agendas like you, POE would be campaigning on the forum for a return to Intrusion 1.0 - 10M sign-up for intrusion, 3 days in advance, whoever wins the fight wins the outpost.

Naismith wrote:
Celebro wrote:
Naismith wrote:

Why?

Activity is rewarded as-is. That is the point of Intrusion 2.0. You have to show up for SAPs (be active) over a long period of time (X days) to capture an outpost, and you have to be more active then the competition.

What your buddy is asking for, is implementing a relation-based system that

a) requires you to grind PVE to engage in PVP and
b) lowers your standing with your own faction & lowers your own base fortifications

To paraphrase:

"Zoom redesign the system and make NPC's protect us because its not fair we can't capture an outpost."

If I was biased and pursuing agendas like you, POE would be campaigning on the forum for a return to Intrusion 1.0 - 10M sign-up for intrusion, 3 days in advance, whoever wins the fight wins the outpost.

Your a small minded bitter individual that thinks every change that someone requests is based upon their personal gain or your loss. You should really grow up.

I think rewarding activity is a good idea but that activity won't happen until the risk reward is fixed. Perhaps see how the proposed changes to Beta will work post spark / station facility / mission change.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

You'd have to redesign the game from the corporation level to the tutorial to the welcome mission for this to work.  Think about it, corporations right now would have to pledge allegiance to a standing mega corp sub faction, which could be outside of the alliances as is.  Meaning Joke and CIR could end up together with the same terminals and allegiance.  I see something more like planetside 2 atm.  With that being said it wouldn't be all too bad if you started day one and picked a faction, BUT with the terrible balancing in robots that was handed down I highly doubt I'd trust the current balancing team to be able to put together a game without a FOTM fit that makes things diverse and interesting.  I don't think we could currently introduce it to a working system in perpetuum, without adding faction specific beta Islands that have this wonderful faction minimal to use the facilities.  So 3 years out at best if we started tomorrow.

Jita wrote:

Your a small minded bitter individual that thinks every change that someone requests is based upon their personal gain or your loss. You should really grow up.

I think rewarding activity is a good idea but that activity won't happen until the risk reward is fixed. Perhaps see how the proposed changes to Beta will work post spark / station facility / mission change.

I see truth hurts your feelings. lol

Indeed no changes should be made until we see the after effects of spark removal and field terminal addition to Beta. Good job on parroting what I've been saying for months though.

15 (edited by Celebro 2015-08-17 18:33:22)

Syndic: You out right, write off any new suggestions of increased 'defence' activity because it favours you, N+1 tactic still in effect; and that's the only way you want to play this game. Get those crucial SAPs, those  that pose a threat to outpost ownership, then log out. Game on, and this will continue until something changes!.

We need more players out in the open fields to increase ganks, pvp etc. A link to the pve aspect of outpost ownership does not mean it's going to be a 5-hour daily grind this could be balanced accordingly, but with you as always no room for discussion. Right now most vets are filled to the brim on stuff there is no reason to fight for anything, just log-in bring more than your enemies log out and not getting exposed to any risks, who can blame you anyways, it the way the game has been designed.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Syndic: You out right, write off any new suggestions of increased 'defence' activity because it favours you, N+1 tactic still in effect; and that's the only way you want to play this game. Get those crucial SAPs, those  that pose a threat to outpost ownership, then log out. Game on, and this will continue until something changes!.

We need more players out in the open fields to increase ganks, pvp etc. A link to the pve aspect of outpost ownership does not mean it's going to be a 5-hour daily grind this could be balanced accordingly, but with you as always no room for discussion. Right now most vets are filled to the brim on stuff there is no reason to fight for anything, just log-in bring more than your enemies log out and not getting exposed to any risks, who can blame you anyways, it the way the game has been designed.

Now you're getting all emotional and bothered.

N+1 tactic is in effect because of bad balancing which made EnWar and EWar worthless as force multipliers - a change campaigned for by your corp because we were murdering you with EWar and Ictus. Now we're murdering your Seth Mk2 spam with our Seth Mk2 spam.

Outpost capturing still works as intended, although it's now easier for us as a defender to hold our outposts since your corp campaigned another change that let us capture our own SAPs. Now we only have to waste 10 minutes instead of a whole hour.

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … usion-2-0/

"A. Remember that the system is gradual: you’ll be able to tell if you’re in trouble, and if your entire corp disappears for a day or two, you’re still in control. It’s by the end of the third or fourth day (depending on how quickly and how hard you were under attack) you’ll have a problem. You can interrupt a Snowball Effect with one capture, and if you honestly can’t field enough force at your Outpost to prevent even one enemy capture, you probably shouldn’t hold it right now. When everyone’s back and ready to fight, you can always take it back the same way you took it to begin with."

The bolded part is what you're having problems with. The bolded part is also the only real answer to your barrage of begging Zoom for outposts thinly masked as "suggestions".

You're so obnoxious. Are you like that for real or is it some charade you do online?

18 (edited by Naismith 2015-08-18 13:03:57)

Burial wrote:

You're so obnoxious. Are you like that for real or is it some charade you do online?

My arguments are irrefutable, otherwise your only reply wouldn't be a petty ad hominem.

19 (edited by Burial 2015-08-18 16:25:39)

Everyone isn't out there to get you all the time. Everyone isn't out there to trigger your fee-fees all the time. You don't need to be so obnoxious and defensive over every little thing. We all want a fun game to play.

Why do you keep running suggestions into *** over who of the 10 remaining players it'd benefit the most? ***.

---

@Anni: It's too complex. One change alone won't have enough of an effect on the population and we're not getting anywhere if each change takes a year to develop. We should be finding ways to tweak the existing mechanics to make the game more entertaining for the masses instead, like something as simple as removing locks from half of the Betas even on a trial-basis.

20 (edited by Celebro 2015-08-18 15:36:59)

Naismith wrote:
Celebro wrote:

N+1 tactic is in effect because of bad balancing which made EnWar and EWar worthless as force multipliers - a change campaigned for by your corp because we were murdering you with EWar and Ictus. Now we're murdering your Seth Mk2 spam with our Seth Mk2 spam.

Outpost capturing still works as intended, although it's now easier for us as a defender to hold our outposts since your corp campaigned another change that let us capture our own SAPs. Now we only have to waste 10 minutes instead of a whole hour.

"A. Remember that the system is gradual: you’ll be able to tell if you’re in trouble, and if your entire corp disappears for a day or two, you’re still in control. It’s by the end of the third or fourth day (depending on how quickly and how hard you were under attack) you’ll have a problem. You can interrupt a Snowball Effect with one capture, and if you honestly can’t field enough force at your Outpost to prevent even one enemy capture, you probably shouldn’t hold it right now. When everyone’s back and ready to fight, you can always take it back the same way you took it to begin with."

The bolded part is what you're having problems with. The bolded part is also the only real answer to your barrage of begging Zoom for outposts thinly masked as "suggestions".

Now you are just trying to change the subject with that ewar nonsense. I never requested it to be changed the way it has; and I am sure no players asked for these robot balancing changes , which were horrible.

The bolded part is what needs to be changed, and you keep defending the status quo post after post. I already said 'who can blame you' for playing the way you like. The issue is you won't look at the big picture, or it's not in your best interests, either way, stop forcing you views for your own agenda. The issue I have is not owning an outpost , it's about promoting more activity by rewarding them in doing so.

Risk vs reward is besides the point, if they give more rewards on beta right now what difference will that actually make? Hangers are already full, where is the reward for that? Bean counting?. There is also concerns that I bet Devs have thought about, which is power creep, this will effect the player gap, so basically you need to keep buffing betas to keep us happy just for a short while, then we are all back into square one.

There is my reasoning, as you can see there is no bias at all. You just keep on being the best at herding those cats to defend at a moments notice , and that's the gameplay you like, which is fair enough, although you can see by the numbers playing it's not very popular.

RIP PERPETUUM

Wish I had API access to player information.

Be very easy to quickly paint a picture of how many players are active enough to fit this activity level you all are detailing here.

I for example have no standings and for what I have been exposed to, most players don't either.

Forcing me to do PvE and mundane tasks to reach PvP is silly, I will very quickly, as most will as well, drift to what is easiest for PvP.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Celebro wrote:
Naismith wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Now you are just trying to change the subject with that ewar nonsense. I never requested it to be changed the way it has; and I am sure no players asked for these robot balancing changes , which were horrible.

The bolded part is what needs to be changed, and you keep defending the status quo post after post. I already said 'who can blame you' for playing the way you like. The issue is you won't look at the big picture, or it's not in your best interests, either way, stop forcing you views for your own agenda. The issue I have is not owning an outpost , it's about promoting more activity by rewarding them in doing so.

Risk vs reward is besides the point, if they give more rewards on beta right now what difference will that actually make? Hangers are already full, where is the reward for that? Bean counting?. There is also concerns that I bet Devs have thought about, which is power creep, this will effect the player gap, so basically you need to keep buffing betas to keep us happy just for a short while, then we are all back into square one.

There is my reasoning, as you can see there is no bias at all. You just keep on being the best at herding those cats to defend at a moments notice , and that's the gameplay you like, which is fair enough, although you can see by the numbers playing it's not very popular.

I'm not changing the subject, I'm argumenting that your suggestions are a continuation of your corporation flat-out begging the Devs for game mechanics that let you have an outpost. It's quite evident in the topics who in particular was asking for EWar and EnWar nerfs (Burial, Annihilator) and what corps they're from.

Let me quote myself here:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/101828/#p101828

"With these changes, Heavies become the go-to answer to everything since EWar and EnWar is the only thing that reliably neuters them."

Here's another blast from the past:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/101688/#p101688

"What is being stated in forums, tickets, whatever is that EWar is too strong against Heavy mechs. But that's what it is supposed to do, otherwise Heavy mechs have no counter in-game except more heavy mechs and more remote repair."

Read through a few topics and educate yourself before you try your hand at debating something.

As to the intrusion system, yes it's supposed to work the way it does so that a larger better equipped and more motivated corporation will in the long run, dominate and crush a smaller less motivated corporation like yours. The SAP system is designed around activity over a continual period of time, not "group up on weekends and go fight".

With field terminals and spark removal nobody can forsee how the metagame will change, except that people with a lot of combat accounts will be spreading them around to cover the world. That's the point you don't understand, it's not about maintaining a status quo - because there is no status quo, there is POE flat-out dominating everyone and everything - it's about avoiding huge wide-sweeping changes before the dust settles, in some panicked frenzy of fixing sh*t that maybe won't be broken post-patch.

And you & your corporation not being to capture an outpost is not something that needs to be fixed by Dev intervention. Sandboxes revolve around choices and consequences.

Stockpiles of assets evidently aren't a problem because if they were problematic then there would be a lot more PVP out there. Because all the vets are loaded and don't care about losing bots anymore right? smile

TL;DR

"We don't want an outpost anyway, but Zoom if you could... you know... help a brother out?"

What a joke. lol

Joke is a collection of people with different opinions. You choose to make out like we are pushing an agenda because you judge people by your own murky standards.

The only reason your able to dominate when you bother to log in is numbers. Some of us want mechanics that stop numbers from always winning. You of course oppose that as its not your idea.

As for the ewar / heavies thing, thats just your usual idiocy. Regardless of if ewar is overpowered of green or whatever people had different opinions and nobody asked for the current meta.

Grow up.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

The only reason your able to dominate when you bother to log in is numbers. Some of us want mechanics that stop numbers from always winning. You of course oppose that as its not your idea.

As for the ewar / heavies thing, thats just your usual idiocy. Regardless of if ewar is overpowered of green or whatever people had different opinions and nobody asked for the current meta.

Grow up.

Again not to side track but, Time and time again myself and many others have proven numbers do not directly relate to winning pre-current balance.

I would argue to say the current balance and meta support superior numbers as a advantage more so than before.

I will be happy to open a proper thread and debate this with video footage if anyone cares to challenge this until then. continue on but number were not and have not always been the end all be all but rather just another excuse.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Please post more videos of you shooting brand new players, its so inspiring.