Re: Beta islands being mostly dead.

Jon Farmer wrote:

It is more like 14% live in the equivalent of Beta.

Thank you for the numbers. Assuming we have around 500 people connected on PO, we can expect 75 players on the beta island. Hence 25 per island.

The emptiness may be understandable.

52 (edited by Nymeriaa 2010-12-13 19:04:58)

As a hardcore carebear I find most of the posts in this thread kind of disappointing. sad I just want to make beautiful robots, blowing them up seems a real waste. Even when I am forced to destroy a robot (well watch PvP corp members destroy a robot) I always feel bad because I know that some poor under appreciated guy probably mined his *** off to get the mats for it and some other indy guy spent all that time researching, prototyping, and then building said robot.

PS While I don't feel quite as strongly as I worded this post, I do feel that most carebear types like me just don't give a stuffed goose what you PvP types are posting on the forums all day long since we are not super aggressive stalk forums all day kind of people. So this post is to show that there are plenty of little people out there that just want to do their own non PvP, non gank filled little things in this game.

Edit: PPS And as for the word "wussies" (which we all know you mean something else by) that is just plain silly. As in the real world it is alot easier to destroy things in a video game then it is to build them. So I would say the real "wussies" are the PvP guys.

Nymeriaa wrote:

As a hardcore carebear I find most of the posts in this thread kind of disappointing. sad I just want to make beautiful robots, blowing them up seems a real waste

Do not worry PvP guys. I am an hardcore carebear too, and I absolutely love it when you blow up your precious mech in some futile epeen war. smile

(and by love, I mean my wallet loves it)

What a lot of the so called 'carebears' seem to not realise is that the 'hard core pvpers' do easily as much if not more building and industry than they do as well as the pvp. The whole point to building robots is to use them to shoot other robots. If there was no pvp there would quickly be no point to building anything. Once you've got your stuff built you need something to do with it.

After spending the past 3 days roaming looking for small gang PVP encounters, I have to admit I'm horribly disappointed at this game.  With a few exceptions, PVP in this game only occurs in blob warfare.  Random roams into "enemy" beta islands result in the following outcomes.

1) Alt spots you and everyone docks up
2) Alt spots you and everyone undocks in Arkhes to zerg once superior numbers is reached.
3) Alt spots you and everyone undocks in their 1337 ships to sit under the safety zones.

Random ganks occur because of luck/bad timing but thats it.  Incursions are heavily scripted and predictable.  Blob warfare ends up dictating the terms even when more structured organization occurs.

Why you ask?

1) 1000m Radar.  Epic stupidity.  Even the fastest SpecOps still have a 8 sec close time.  One alt toon can watch one of the gates to a beta island.  Once someone pops through, its really easy to follow from a safe distance.  Thus, keeping track of enemies is stupid easy.

2) "Escape" mechanism is missing.  EVE had "warp to" to allow escape and evade to occur.  Variable speed engagements are required.  People need to be able to "get lost" in a island.  Additionally the rather linear movement speed system in this game further limits the way PVP occurs.

3) Cloaks / Passive Radar.  Because speed is the only decision point beyond blob, the small gang mechanic suffers without an alternate escape mechanism.  Having a mech which could jump and cloak would dramatically add diversity to the game.  It would also allow for people to spend time behind enemy lines watching and waiting for the right place and time to strike.

4) Lack of Human skill required.  This could very well go with 1000m Radar but I think it is a seperate issue because it differentiates the good pilots from the blobbers.  EVE's scanner was something that took Human Skill to operate and understand.  Anyone could use it to get directions of incoming people from gates.  But the truely skilled could use it to locate people in random locations under the clock.  What it did was to limit the radar to only work if the human player knew what to do.  Granted, Perpetuum is a terrain game.  But similar human skills should be added.

Perpetuum has potential and yes, I know the devs are working on solutions to some of the problems (and others I didn't mention).  But I'm not sure a resub is warrented because of the 1 dimensionality of the PVP game.  Without the PVP game, Perpetuum is a second job and not fun.

Nymeriaa wrote:

Edit: PPS And as for the word "wussies" (which we all know you mean something else by) that is just plain silly. As in the real world it is alot easier to destroy things in a video game then it is to build them. So I would say the real "wussies" are the PvP guys.

Did I just get shat on by a corp mate? You dirty son of a...

btw. I meant wussies. I'm not afraid to say *** as you full well know smile

Contact me in game via e-mail or PM for -CS- recruitment information.

I think one of the biggest factors dissuading people trying their hand at the beta islands is that the fastest bots in the game also happen to be ECM. It's just too easy to imagine scenarios where you and a few of your buddies go out to do whatever only to encounter hostiles that you can't outrun, can mitigate any firepower advantage you have, drain your accumulator, and peck you to death as you try to crawl away. Whether it would really happen or not is irrelevant. Just the prospect keeps people from venturing off the alphas.

58 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-13 20:58:27)

Gut Punch wrote:

After spending the past 3 days roaming looking for small gang PVP encounters, I have to admit I'm horribly disappointed at this game.  With a few exceptions, PVP in this game only occurs in blob warfare.  Random roams into "enemy" beta islands result in the following outcomes.

1) Alt spots you and everyone docks up
2) Alt spots you and everyone undocks in Arkhes to zerg once superior numbers is reached.
3) Alt spots you and everyone undocks in their 1337 ships to sit under the safety zones.

Random ganks occur because of luck/bad timing but thats it.  Incursions are heavily scripted and predictable.  Blob warfare ends up dictating the terms even when more structured organization occurs.

Why you ask?

1) 1000m Radar.  Epic stupidity.  Even the fastest SpecOps still have a 8 sec close time.  One alt toon can watch one of the gates to a beta island.  Once someone pops through, its really easy to follow from a safe distance.  Thus, keeping track of enemies is stupid easy.

2) "Escape" mechanism is missing.  EVE had "warp to" to allow escape and evade to occur.  Variable speed engagements are required.  People need to be able to "get lost" in a island.  Additionally the rather linear movement speed system in this game further limits the way PVP occurs.

3) Cloaks / Passive Radar.  Because speed is the only decision point beyond blob, the small gang mechanic suffers without an alternate escape mechanism.  Having a mech which could jump and cloak would dramatically add diversity to the game.  It would also allow for people to spend time behind enemy lines watching and waiting for the right place and time to strike.

4) Lack of Human skill required.  This could very well go with 1000m Radar but I think it is a seperate issue because it differentiates the good pilots from the blobbers.  EVE's scanner was something that took Human Skill to operate and understand.  Anyone could use it to get directions of incoming people from gates.  But the truely skilled could use it to locate people in random locations under the clock.  What it did was to limit the radar to only work if the human player knew what to do.  Granted, Perpetuum is a terrain game.  But similar human skills should be added.

Perpetuum has potential and yes, I know the devs are working on solutions to some of the problems (and others I didn't mention).  But I'm not sure a resub is warrented because of the 1 dimensionality of the PVP game.  Without the PVP game, Perpetuum is a second job and not fun.

Definetly agree on the escape mechanism. Was thinking about how a couple of us could go hunt players on the beta island. There's simply no good way to do it, it will result in certain death in very little time. EVE had the warp in/out mechanism which allowed you to hunt in enemy territory, if you picked your fights wisely you could last against superior numbers.

Also player owned structures, these allowed a small corp or even solo player to survive in 0.0 (at least until dreadnoughts came along) I really hope when they add terraforming small numbers of players will be able to set something up so they have a chance to live in the pvp areas too - Not just the big corps and alliances.

59 (edited by L1fe3looD 2010-12-13 21:12:41)

honestly, larger PVP zones would help this alot, mixed with more goals for corps to achieve. a 20 man corp isn't going to even attempt to hold an outpost, so they need an incentive to come out and play. Something like temporary safety in a small area would be cool, like a mini intrustion, and could even play out on a larger scale as a way to increase options and complexity of the larger intrustions. Just little game things like that, with a reward attached, to make them worthwhile, would probably go a long way towards getting people out to the islands.

I do see what these guys are saying, I just don't necessarily agree with what they're calling for as a solution. focus on the meta gaming, make it worthwhile for the whole population to participate, and it then becomes the norm, rather than the exception, which is what the game is all about, yes?

I wonder how the devs plan to implement the new constructable player owned structures. If they plan to fit the same SAP mechanics on them it won't be any better. Corporation owned structures supposed to give a full access to an owning corporation to - restrict access on entrance, use stations, dock, make it home etc. If those new structures are similar to outposts where everyone can walk in, make it home, crap inside and leave unnoticed - its a waste of time. Avatar was able to copy EVE so well but missed the very important game mechanics that promotes corps to own the outposts. New structures need to have all these missed features, otherwise there is only as much point to own them as corp defines for themselves.

People are too new and inexperienced to find small scale pvp. If you aren't using tactics and intel, then you are a sitting duck. It's very easy to enter an island, get off the station and be unseen. If you use a scout they will never know where you are and you can actually take advantage of miners and such.

With that being said, I haven't seen the JOKE alliance hardly use Norhoop, and if you want to *** with m2s just don't be stupid. They are not gods, they are experienced players. If you don't play dumb for them and let them string you out, they will probably leave if you have even numbers. Remember this.

Euro-Corp Syndicate.

I highly doubt they'll leave for even numbers, but kaz has a point, there is a certain amount of fear associated with all of the beta islands, that they're "monstrous places where all who enter die" it's simply not true. Granted, alliance are catching on now and doing their best to keep them patrolled, but then, wouldn't you? Personally I found it fun to sneak around and see what was up before I became worried about guarding the door rather than picking the lock smile

L1fe3looD wrote:
Nymeriaa wrote:

Did I just get shat on by a corp mate? You dirty son of a...

btw. I meant wussies. I'm not afraid to say *** as you full well know smile

Oh hey Life. You know me I would never argue with a corp mate. big_smile

Maybe this game needs an Arena area, Battle Dome! 2, 3, and 5 Bot battles. No plants. No mines. Just mechs, missles, and mayham.

Each team pays an entry fee, winner take all (-10% NPC tax of course, more NIC sinks Dev!)

In fact, Life, we can set this up ourselves on the Island and keep the 10% tax for ourselves.

While I understand your frustrations it seems like you are victims of your own success in a way.  To my knowledge the majority of corporations holding outposts are all "buddy buddy" allies.  Well allies aren't going to fight each other on their own island, that's why they are allies.  Beta islands aren't connected so it's a "pain" to go back and forth between them.  Understandable, no one wants to spend 30 min travelling to get 3 min of action. 

The other issue is if you do go over to a beta island looking for a fight or even to fool around you try to get spotted to get some kind of action but as soon as you do the entire island alliance is on high alert and everyone and their mother comes speeding towards your direction and you can find yourself swarmed fairly quickly.  Either way "island defenses" ensure they have the favorable battle field and numbers to ensure victory for pvp hungry players.

There are other issues but forums are full of trolls so I'm just going to cut it here.  smile

The Enclave - No drama!  No prisoners!

Taco wrote:

I think one of the biggest factors dissuading people trying their hand at the beta islands is that the fastest bots in the game also happen to be ECM. It's just too easy to imagine scenarios where you and a few of your buddies go out to do whatever only to encounter hostiles that you can't outrun, can mitigate any firepower advantage you have, drain your accumulator, and peck you to death as you try to crawl away. Whether it would really happen or not is irrelevant. Just the prospect keeps people from venturing off the alphas.

This. Its quite the deterrent.

I've only barely managed to outrun an intakt on a 1 lwf only arkhe before (just made it back to the tele in time). I certainly wouldn't go back solo with anything slower. I'm now thinking about getting an ewar bot myself. Just doesn't seem right..

Weapon X wrote:
Taco wrote:

I've only barely managed to outrun an intakt on a 1 lwf only arkhe before (just made it back to the tele in time). I certainly wouldn't go back solo with anything slower. I'm now thinking about getting an ewar bot myself. Just doesn't seem right..

A good point, and I agree.  It seems like players who wants to PvP are going to be forced to run large squads and also fit for ECCM if they are not in EWar bots.

There is no amount of PvE content, that I can see being added to the beta islands, that would encourage me to enter a beta island.

It is simple risk and reward that keeps people off Beta.  It is not worth it most of the time to put your mining bot at risk for slightly faster mining.   Heck most of the time when you mine it is afk watching something else.  Mining on Beta is Risky because it is so hard to disappear and once you get spotted you are done and it does not matter if you are in a guild or alliance on that beta island or an independent you are done because until the threat goes away the minor bot is put away.   So when it takes hours to mine up mats for something it is not worth the risk. Other than for guild ops relating to the Epitron only available on beta mining not worth the risk!

I suggest:
Shrink the influence ring of the guilds on the island to closer to their station buy proving excellent benefits close to base.  Say great mining and combat bonuses next to the base and make it much easier (many more port in and spots) for people to get on and off the Beta island.  This would make it harder for guilds to control access to the beta island and at the same time give guilds the ability to protect guild mates without controlling the entire island.   But you also need change to the gates.
Most of the time when you drop onto beta you are either looking for trouble or not wanting to find trouble (mining/farming).  Either way you do not want to be jumped right as you drop in. So how to stop M2S from having a person sit in an Ark all day long on one of the only 3 port in spots for 8 to protect everyone on the island?  This only takes 3 people to sentry the entire island. You can
1)     Change the warp in point immunity and make it timed. This would make it much more difficult on the Ark sitting there announcing everyone who comes through in alliance or guild chat. 
2)    Put in more gates but make them one way.  This way once you are in then you are committed but there are many more ways off the island.  I would suggest 12 more gates 6 in and 6 out for each island.  This would make it much more difficult to deny access to an island.  Rewards are great but you have to believe you have a good change to escape with your loot.
3)    Either make the islands bigger or shrink the radar.

What all this does is: Makes it much much harder for a guild to control access to an entire island and at the same time provides different bonuses and protection to guild mates mining farming close to base.  This should open up the island to more people.   More people on the island translates to more PvP.  People want to be able to dash in pick a fight/mine/farm and get away. When all 3 ways on and off the island are guarded that is extremely hard to do.

Laf

Interesting ideas Iafolet.  Not sure what to do about radar, I think it's more helpful then harmful.  Even without it someone could run around with Landmarks open until a mining bot pops onto the list.  :\  Maybe another solution could be found?  Something to give a player a chance to escape if they are paying attention at least.

Weapon X wrote:

Are you REALLY complaining that you only barely outran the fastest bot in the game, or am I reading your post the wrong way?
The Game
If you're in an Arkhe you should be able to be killed/caught by almost anything except uber tanks.  Its a noob bot, and IMO it shouldnt have nearly the capability and effectiveness in PvP that is currently has.  You should use an Arkhe if you have nothing else to use and you've hit rock bottom.  Period.  They are WAY to effective as a scout right now.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

72 (edited by Weapon X 2010-12-14 08:35:05)

I'm not complaining about it. The intakt was actually gaining on me. I was about 2kph slower.

The point is why would you take a slower bot to a relatively small island when u have these fast demob ewars running around that can tackle, jam and eventually kill.

Its a matter of pure luck (or alts scouting which not everyone has) to not be found on a beta island. Hence imo the risk is reasonably high. There needs to be some chance to get away even if remote. I think that is one of the main reasons there aren't more ppl venturing out onto beta.

Note: that's just my perception. Nearly everytime I ventured to beta solo for a non combat activity I've been spotted and had an intakt on me rather quickly. I'd only bring a combat eccm bot that's able to fight back in future.

They can be defended against successfully if thats all the enemy is bringing.  Once we get into mech pvp you'll understand why they need to have the speed they have.  If they werent fast they'd be useless in anything more than bot fights.
The Game
You can get away if you know what you're doing as well.  M2S has been outnumbered on an island when out roaming but still able to get away.  We're just not stupid.  We know how the game works and what we need to do to accomplish our goals.
The Game
Yes, scouting is incredibly easy right now and it needs to be fixed.  Arkhes are the main source of scouting, so something needs to be done about them NOW.  I dont care if people scout with intakts or other ewar bots, because theres at least some risk to them doing that.  If they f*ck up with an arkhe no one cares, but if they f*ck up with an intakt and die someones gonna notice.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Neoxx wrote:

Yes, scouting is incredibly easy right now and it needs to be fixed.  Arkhes are the main source of scouting, so something needs to be done about them NOW.  I dont care if people scout with intakts or other ewar bots, because theres at least some risk to them doing that.  If they f*ck up with an arkhe no one cares, but if they f*ck up with an intakt and die someones gonna notice.

I may be wrong here, but isn't that arguement a sliding scale?

When corps have 100's of billions of NIC and they industry lines that can produce intakts with the rounding errors on thier stored materials, then the agrument would be they really aren't risking anything by scouting with intakts, make them scout with named special ops bots that they will notice if lost?

even now I'm hearing corp mates talk about being able to lock targets over 400m away. I can only assume those distance will increase with EP and named tiered items.

At some point, having a basic Arkhe scouting isn't going to be effective, as they'll be targeted and one-shot from 1000+ meters, you'll need something with ECCM to prevent that. A dead scout tells no tales.

I also assume there will be stealthed bots, again the arkhe just won't have the power to mount the equipment it needs to counter that, even with the % bonuses from skilled pilots.

If in another month the starter ship is still an issue, than I'll sign the 'nerf the noob bot' petition.

Gut Punch wrote:

People need to be able to "get lost" in a island.

Just have Siddy lead your gang