Re: Beta islands being mostly dead.

Blaster wrote:

Make it Darkfall - no safe zones ftw.

Hawk

Yea and we know how that turned out..

no safe zones = win.

problem is all the wussies leave, and let's face it, the wussies make up the majority lol

Contact me in game via e-mail or PM for -CS- recruitment information.

28 (edited by Jon Farmer 2010-12-13 03:21:12)

Personally the number of islands or player controlled structures are less import than the games stability and a solid economic base. If one or two alliance control the ability to manufacture Mechs and Heavy Mechs, the game will be head on the wrong trajectory.  The industrialist need some time and sufficient resources to build a base for everyone. Or, NPC should sell quantities of everything.

Wussies ... 500 hard core PVP * $10/month = $5,000 = dead game
                10,000 wussies + 500 hard core PVP * 10/month = $105,000 = a brighter future

L1fe3looD wrote:

no safe zones = win.

problem is all the wussies leave, and let's face it, the wussies make up the majority lol

For a sandbox like this to work you need people who enjoy different aspects. No safe zones results in forcing pvpers to do boring stuff like mine and craft. Those who enjoy doing that but not pvp will leave due to constant threat of ganking and losing stuff.

Something that took all the wolves in df forever to understand.

L1fe3looD wrote:

no safe zones = win.

no safe zones = no one with a brain playing any more, just those kiddies who live on their adrenaline glands. Most people who like complex games like this have a brain, who like to do multiple different things, and for some of these things safe zones are useful.
big_smile

No safezones with some sort of outlaw system with really heavy handed police effectively locking known alpha pkers from the zone would be cool. Kill, but face the consequences of being forever banished. (or atleast making it such a rep grind as to make it a really big deal).

Doesn't Eve work like that, or something similar?

@ weapon, you're 100% right, it takes everyone doing everything together to make something like this work... funny how that's exactly what the successful corps are doing....

BTW @ numbers McGee, if you're thinking "hard-core PVP" means people who shoot at others only, you're doing it wrong.

L1fe3looD wrote:

BTW @ numbers McGee, if you're thinking "hard-core PVP" means people who shoot at others only, you're doing it wrong.

I gave up with trying to even talk on that one, the numbers people use are so far out in left field it is funny. according to one persons percentages, there was 0.3 PvP players in this whole game. Said there was only .05% of Perp's population in PvP, we were passing 600 players at the time.
People would probably look a lot more intelligent if they paid attention to at least a semblance of the facts.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

34 (edited by Jon Farmer 2010-12-13 06:15:40)

That would be why it was in quotes. My point being, "wussies" are essential to the game.

It always seems, that to be a 'true hard core PVPer' you must enjoy collecting carebear tears (an attitude I personally find disturbing). I know there are many types of PVP. This was a reaction to the "wussies" comment.

The numbers we an example. Not base on real data. I took the 500 from the people playing at the time. That number can't support a game. Attract the "wussies" who like complex mentally stimulating games and you stand a chance.

The Eve numbers I use are real numbers. They are based on the Q3 QEN from Dr. E.

Vorgrim Scout wrote:

No safezones with some sort of outlaw system with really heavy handed police effectively locking known alpha pkers from the zone would be cool. Kill, but face the consequences of being forever banished. (or atleast making it such a rep grind as to make it a really big deal).

Dude that was Ultima Online back in the golden age of MMOs. I loved the system back then, if someone really pissed you off, you waited till they left the protection of the town guards and ganked them, looted everything they had and be labeled a murder for a couple of days. With bad rep came demised stats and you were a free kill for anyone. If you constantly did this it would take months to clear yourself, some hardcore pkers stayed perma red and lived outside the towns all together. They have a pirate city like in Pirates of the Caribbean movies, I forgot what that island was called. I loved UO...:D

@jon  by "wussies" I mean people who are afraid to come to beta island areas or live in an area with combat is possible, because they're afraid. which without argument, means they are wussies, as this IS a video game...

37 (edited by Jon Farmer 2010-12-13 06:31:48)

Vorgrim Scout wrote:

You have to be really bad yarr for a while to get your security status that low in Eve. You can also work it back up. As with most games, you can use a alt to go to place you can't and bring stuff back to you.

38 (edited by Kazvall Daikun 2010-12-13 06:45:57)

I spend so much time on beta, that when I come to alpha I am always saying "OH NO REDS EVERYWHERE!!!! AHH!!!! Oh.. it's alpha".

Euro-Corp Syndicate.

39 (edited by Drahkar 2010-12-13 07:23:42)

Went to a beta island, 20 minutes later found a Termis, ransomed him for 2 millions. Good first impressions. yarr

I think there should be a 25% mining bonus to any mining module used on a PvP island though, to represent the overabundance of minerals. Can't expect the miners to show up just for the sake of dying.

Not adding any more safe islands would probably help too.

40 (edited by Jeronas 2010-12-13 08:54:37)

Chief Ubenor wrote:

A lot of people talk about wanting a bigger world, more islands. There is 300 people on and you want 15 islands? Devs said that they will add more islands when there is more players to play the game. At this point they are working on player/corp owned constructable structures. But I do think that Avatar Creations lacks either experience or imagination though. It almost feels like a group of kids who used to have fun in EVE decided to createa their own niche game in Mech world. This game doesnt feel like it has a solid base, even though its enjoyable for now...

Dude, the 300 average online is never ever going to grow, when the noob islands are swarmed by Kernel farmers.

There isn't a day going by, without constant QQ by new players, who cannot complete their assignments, because all the spawn points being heavily camped by farmers.

EVE Online had a vast universe with hundreds of systems at launch already. And it didn't affect the small playerbase at that time. Nor did it stop it from growing over time.

When the world is too small, like it now already is, the playerbase will never grow!
As you just end up with players constantly being frustrated and quiting within their first trial days!  Which is exactly what is happening now.

And then I am not even talking about all the lag issues. Probably also because of so many people crammed on little islands.

41 (edited by Shmekla 2010-12-13 09:18:17)

Jeronas wrote:

There isn't a day going by, without constant QQ by new players, who cannot complete their assignments, because all the spawn points being heavily camped by farmers.

Yes this is annoying when you have to watch how kernel farmer in assault tag all spawned npc and kill one by one and all newbies must just wait for other spawn hoping that farmer just forget to tag it.. there must be different solution.

Also the world is to small by feeling, but even so it's to "big" by it's emptiness and takes to long to go from one point to other simply do a mission.

Amo cost is to high for new players. When you have to spend 2/3 off you earnings only on amo it's wrong.

if you need to spend 2/3 of your earnings you are doing it wrong.

Alyvian wrote:

if you need to spend 2/3 of your earnings you are doing it wrong.

I think it's safe to assume a new player will do it wrong.

Anyway, if I remember the numbers I've seen, for Eve it was only like 30% of the playerbase playing in what's equivalent to our beta island. And I don't think people will be more hardcore here than they are in Eve.

44 (edited by Jon Farmer 2010-12-13 14:08:57)

It is more like 14% live in the equivalent of Beta.

Most recent population distribution numbers for Eve:

Empire.............86.51% ... Alpha (for the most part)
Null Security.....11.07% ... Beta
Wormhole..........2.42% ... Beta   (sort of ... not sure if there is an equivalent)

(page 13 ... 2010 Q3 QEN)

For me, there is only one reason to go to beta and its epi.

There is an abundance (as there should be) of minerals on alpha, and if you look.. quite a few red nodes. Granted, these nodes are nothing in comparison to the seas of red you can find on beta.

However, the risk v reward for an indy type simply isn't worth it, unless you're already in the top 5% of the playerbase nic-wise and have an endless termis stream if/when yours pops.

Termis were selling for 5m yesterday. I'd rather not risk that 5m termis (granted, a lot cheaper if you farm the mats yourself) or even my 1m seq. Not to mention that if I get popped with a field container out, there will be next to no chance to recover it or the material inside of it.

I could bring a teleport beacon, but being 60U i'd have to transport it in a seq, which is fine.. however, they seem to vanish after deploying more times than not, so this is not a viable escape option. And I'd still lose whatever was in my field container.

I've farmed for hours and hours on beta without seeing a single person though. So it's fair to say that it still is pretty safe. It only takes once though, and I'd still be in the hole mech cost vs the value of everything i've mined there so far.

I think the largest factor that comes into this is that mining bots, if attacked, have little to no ability to retaliate. Again, this is how it should be.

Here are my possible solutions:
1) You can see every player when they are 1km away from you on the map. Every bot/mech has mass. The system could be reworked to where your mass/signature size/whatever directly relates to how far away you can be seen on the map. There can be things added to increase/decrease various factors of this.

2) Going along the same line as number one: moving targets generate more heat, noise, and other stuff. Perhaps moving targets/targets that just moved could be seen at a longer distance than immobile ones. Or, accumulator/cpu/energy usage could attribute to how far away you can be seen instead of the default 1km. This would also lead to people being able to create ambushes.

3) No arkhes on beta. Kind of harsh, but since they ARE tutorial bots, maybe they lack the complex electronics to transport over such a long distance required to get to beta, but for the short distances on alpha it's fine. This would create another problem of "what if I am home-based in beta and die" though. Maybe make arkhes weaker to start with, with nearly/no combat/ewar capabilities. This way you can do the first 2 or 3 tutorial missions still, and then get the mk2 when you have to learn combat during the tutorial.

I'm at work so I'll probably get fired if I keep writing things.. but, this is my biggest problem when I'm on beta. And my biggest fear to keep me from venturing onto another corps territory. I have no problem risking my neck if I have a means of escape.

Right now, almost any mech/bot can catch me in my term/seq/arg. I can see them at the exact same time they see me. Unless I'm within 600m of an outpost, they will catch me.

Please don't say "bring people to protect you" as that is a *** response with no real weight behind it. I don't think there is a single person alive who would sit with me while I mine for 8 hours and twiddle their thumbs.

Just my thoughts.

Okay one more quick one:

What if there were field containers you could buy for 50-100k that had the ability to send their contents to the nearest outpost? They would not be portable holes like the current ones are. Or, perhaps they could hold an unlimited amount but you could only send back ##U? This way, if you're about to have your termis popped, you can at least send back a little bit of material so it isn't a total loss?

Ixath I'd just like to point out that  "I don't think there is a single person alive who would sit with me while I mine for 8 hours and twiddle their thumbs." is actually not true. I spent 8 hours watching teleport points just yesterday so our alliance miners could mine and PvE'ers could farm without surprises. I'm not the only one either, there are a ton of us willing to put in the hours for the good of our group. Mind you I have more than one account so I can still do stuff while I scout.

This game is all about forming a group and doing stuff together and sharing the benefits.

the problem here is that you all want to be happy, and it simple wont be the case. There is no way to make people not camp the spawns, and there is nothing wrong with travel times. Yes, it's not quick, but it's not meant to be. 150 people aren't supposed to get from norhoop to any other beta island in short order, and you are supposed to be able to hide on radar on the PVP islands ( depending on how vigilant your security is ).

It's a tough call, but frankly, even if senior numbersauce has accurate numbers for EVE, it's that small percentage of players in nullsec and wormhole space who make the game run. These types of games need all types, it's true, but frankly the "safe zones" are meant as a reigned in training area, nothing more.

Senior Numbersauce ... that made me laugh. I just might have to roll a character with that name.

Kazvall Daikun wrote:

I spend so much time on beta, that when I come to alpha I am always saying "OH NO REDS EVERYWHERE!!!! AHH!!!! Oh.. it's alpha".

had to lol @ this

<home sweet home>

~M~