Re: Dev Zoom, please remove location information from killmails API

Dazamin wrote:
Doek wrote:

In the meantime, the statistics are making pretty pictures.

Syndic wrote:

Very often PVP occurs in the middle of *** nowhere

Glad to see all this PvP happening away from TPs and stns, oh wai...

well looking at that heat map i say a good amount of PVP is happening away from TPs & Stations. Tho alot are along the Highways it would seem.

see another +1 for HWYs ... Zoom give us HWYs for gammas! tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

What the map doesn't show is how much PVP was avoided due to beacons.

What's visible is only the PVP that was forced by running head-first into the enemy and punching them in the face with our soviet p*nis! lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

128 (edited by Gunner 2014-04-23 13:20:31)

http://killboard.sequer.nl/index.php?a= … ;zone_id=9

new heat maps are pretty pimp

These are also non-specific which is nice.

129 (edited by Aye Pod 2014-04-23 19:40:18)

This thread has too many comparisons to EVE. Exact coords in EVE would be useless since the just RC>warp to their destination. In PERP we have to traverse the landscape so having those coords makes a much bigger impact on gameplay. Remember that Beta islands arent just for pvp. Having exact coords in KM are just going to create hot spots on the islands that every roam is going to hit to look for targets. Doesnt matter what the delay is. Remember the static epi spots? Same ***. Someone with too much time on their hands is just going to sift through a months data and log the enemies deaths and times of death and now you have objectives for pvp roams. Yes everyone has access to do this but the players who this will affect the most will be the noob corps/solo player who can only get on at certain times trying to do some stealthy activities.

EDIT: I like the hotspot addition but I feel individual coords shouldnt be included in each KM. The data should still be collected but should be compiled for a month end dump from Avatar. That way we could still have hot spots on the islands but no one will be the wiser for who was killed where. No free intel and keeps those who run websites with specific political affiliations honest. big_smile

Death Cords are just as good info for pvper and industrials to avoid hot zones so I don't see the problem here.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Death Cords are just as good info for pvper and industrials to avoid hot zones so I don't see the problem here.

Lets just get rid of the coords and have hot zones. No one need to know who exactly was killed there just that the area has seen kills.

Aye Pod wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Lets just get rid of the coords and have hot zones. No one need to know who exactly was killed there just that the area has seen kills.

Technically, you'd still need the full dataset to be able to compile hotzones (specifically heatmaps).

Aye Pod wrote:

This thread has too many comparisons to EVE. Exact coords in EVE would be useless since the just RC>warp to their destination. In PERP we have to traverse the landscape so having those coords makes a much bigger impact on gameplay.

In Perpetuum, exact coordinates are pretty much what solar systems are in EVE, as constellations are to zones. EVE has so much in-game and out-of-game data on this it's frankly stupid we're still discussing this and not dropped/destroyed items - which would paint not just kills vs. losses, but also economical wins and losses. Take a look at sequer.nl, where I try to guess prices based on what people usually fit using the fitting tool, and then have the industry tool take a guess at what price that item can be produced. Unfortunately ICE was taken out of the game, but mouse-over the number to see what it would've cost you if you did replace your stuff with ICE.

Doek wrote:

In Perpetuum, exact coordinates are pretty much what solar systems are in EVE, as constellations are to zones.

Umm no. Exact coordinates are just that, exact. Same thing you get when you scan someone down in EVE. The ability to go exactly to where they are or exactly where they were. EVE Systems = Perpetuum Islands since there are different places you can go within these areas.

If having these coordinates isnt such a big deal then why the big argument to keep them? hmm

The more information we can get form the game the better.

Keep the data mines going !!!!

This information is and can be freely used by everyone so why try to hide it ? If your scared of people seeing you pvp then dont its easy

@ Doek the heat maps are F|_|CKing  sweet

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

So let me get this straight. So far I've heard:
- Its on a delay so its not that big of a deal.
- More data is better.
- EVE api has way more stuff.
- Both sides get to use it.

So far STC has not offered up one reason why the feature should be kept for the betterment of the game. All politically motivated BS.

Aye Pod wrote:

- More data is better.

So far STC has not offered up one reason why the feature should be kept for the betterment of the game. All politically motivated BS.

I don't know why STC as an entity should? Seems like you're the one that's politically motivated. I mean, bringing up corporations and our affiliations in the feature discussion and requests forum?

You seem to have the list down though, couldn't summarize it better.

138 (edited by Aye Pod 2014-04-24 05:26:25)

Doek wrote:

I don't know why STC as an entity should? Seems like you're the one that's politically motivated. I mean, bringing up corporations and our affiliations in the feature discussion and requests forum?

Wrong again m8. The only players pushing hard to keep this "trivial" information on the API are members of STC. Since those players are the main veterans of STC its clearly politically motivated. I dont know why youre trying to spin this. Zoom has asked for the community to decide on this one and so far there hasnt been one valid argument brought up on why this data benefits the community. Many points have been brought up on how it can be abused. Like it was requested before either add something good to this discussion or dont post. Good day.

Aye Pod wrote:
Doek wrote:

Wrong again m8. The only players pushing hard to keep this "trivial" information on the API are members of STC. Since those players are the main veterans of STC its clearly politically motivated. I dont know why youre trying to spin this. Zoom has asked for the community to decide on this one and so far there hasnt been one valid argument brought up on why this data benefits the community. Many points have been brought up on how it can be abused. Like it was requested before either add something good to this discussion or dont post. Good day.

what members that are NOT part of the Syndic-alliance are pushing hard to get that feature removed?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

what members that are NOT part of the Syndic-alliance are pushing hard to get that feature removed?

Either post something constructive or dont. Good day Anni. big_smile

Devs...

I would like to see loadouts of the killed player (maybe also the player that got the killing blow or most damage)... Would be nice to get some more data on lost values (and other attacker statistics ) .. that way it is now its just estimates but knowing the exact gear that was equipped by the killed / killing player, these totals could be immensely useful.

Thx !

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Aye Pod wrote:

- More data is better.

Would you mind summarising the case for the removal of specific coordinates? I didn't actually see any compelling arguments for that while skimming through the last page.

Ozy wrote:

Would you mind summarising the case for the removal of specific coordinates? I didn't actually see any compelling arguments for that while skimming through the last page.

Points have been made throughout this thread.

Aye Pod, you attach far more weight to your "pro" removal and trivialize my "keep" points.

I don't think its a big deal. You think it will be abused. Got it. We disagree.
Its nothing more than that. It has nothing to do with politics.

But if there is one thing that these forums have show is the loudest and most persistent voices influence decisions, not necessarily logic. So continue to attack other people FOR their opinion, rather than WHAT their actual opinion is.

It works.

By the way, please refute these arguments if you can.

Harvester dies, co ords show where Norg planted ..... kill the harvester when he returns
umm ... What harvester would continue to harvest a blown field?

15 minute delay, co ords allow response.
Ok, kill someone and .... wait? In 15 minutes you can be 2 islands away.

Location of traps revealed by co ords. Newbs can use this info to avoid ganks.
With the wide range of PvP and reasons for why it occurs, looking at a killmail doesn't reveal the why it happened, more by whom and where.

Killboard run by major faction toon, special access/info withheld/advantage
This is the most political, and weakest argument of all. Anyone who wishes to produce stuff for the perp community has access to the data. There is more than one KB, the same data is available on both at the same time. If a toon your alliance wishes to produce a KB that has open access to everyone I am sure he would get the same data.

Nothing to do with politics. Understand. You don't have to agree, but get off the political bullshit for once.

TBH Aye Pod, if I know where the PVP hotspots are, I can track routes of players.  I can analysis Access points onto an island, we can pre stage logoffs with the hundreds of gifted accounts.  It's great!  Also I get to see where DOY mines EPI.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

The best part!  I can do this while I am at work, sitting behind a computer for hours!  Otherwise I would hear about it multiple hours later when I have limited time play and the wife is chewing my ear off and most likely I would forget.  It's like being able to play perpetuum with out even logging in.  It's great!  It's like I can get every scouting report I typically would have forgotten about when I logged in.  Even Today.  Fred Phelps was strategically moved to be able to Monitor Pakaws movements while he hit probes and was able to keep him on radar the entire time when he left Yula.  All this was made possible by Doek's website and pakaws highly predictable nature.

147 (edited by Aye Pod 2014-04-24 16:37:58)

Tears will begin to flow and I'll be there to rub this into their faces. big_smile

Aye Pod wrote:
Ozy wrote:

Im mostly seeing lots of hyperbole and sarcasm, mostly by people wanting to get rid of this feature, it seems. Are you guys honestly worried about pattern analysis of the kills and heat-maps? Because i'm not seeing many arguments that are making other points ...

Ozy wrote:

Im mostly seeing lots of hyperbole and sarcasm, mostly by people wanting to get rid of this feature, it seems. Are you guys honestly worried about pattern analysis of the kills and heat-maps? Because i'm not seeing many arguments that are making other points ...

Its there. Just have to sift through the STC propaganda. Heat maps are cool but only without the info on specific kills.

Ozy wrote:
Aye Pod wrote:
Ozy wrote:

Pattern Analysis is huge, but at the same time I am really getting great use out of it so egh.