Re: Improved NPC AI

... filthy mudblood.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Jita: so why do I have the feeling that the players who profit the most from this mechanic are the veteran players with multiple accounts, not the newbie alpha dwellers who we are supposed to cater to the most nowadays. Or in other words, I think there are more players who can't afford multiple accounts and have a disadvantage because of this, than players who would have a harder time if we make this change.

78 (edited by Crepitus 2014-07-30 22:26:12)

Jita wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Jita: I also think that NPC ewar/enwar is too much, and it also makes the difficulty jump between ranks too steep. Since with the mission revamp we also have to rework NPC spawns, improving this will be a part of the change.

So hold off on this change until that's done because your once again souring the milk for the babies who don't like leaving alpha and that's exactly the kind of player base we are suffering by not having. Bitter vets aplenty but the alpha dwellers who keep a game alive are leaving in droves.

Celebro wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Celebro: I don't blame anyone for playing the game as optimally as possible, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do something about mechanics that are exceptionally easy or lucrative compared to other parts of the game.

I understand that, although what is hard mode for you: Farm for 8 hours for 10 minutes of PVP?

You know it's *** bad when all sides agree.  Huge ++++++'s

DEV Zoom wrote:

Jita: so why do I have the feeling that the players who profit the most from this mechanic are the veteran players with multiple accounts, not the newbie alpha dwellers who we are supposed to cater to the most nowadays. Or in other words, I think there are more players who can't afford multiple accounts and have a disadvantage because of this, than players who would have a harder time if we make this change.

If you were worried about people not being able to afford accounts you'd have done a real sale instead of 15% off during the Steam Summer Sale when it had the most eyes on it.  You'll have to wait for Halloween or Christmas now. 

As for the rest --->

DEV Zoom wrote:

Or in other words, I think there are more players who can't afford multiple accounts and have a disadvantage because of this, than players who would have a harder time if we make this change.

I don't understand how you can possibly think this at all, how does it benefit *ANYONE* new/old/norwegian/vulcan lesbians, I don't *** understand it.  At all. 

I thought my g/f was trying to be funny when she refuses to even look at this "game" when I play because "it looks like being at work" and "that's not a game it's a psychology experiment" but I'm seriously starting to believe it.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Jita wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Jita: I also think that NPC ewar/enwar is too much, and it also makes the difficulty jump between ranks too steep. Since with the mission revamp we also have to rework NPC spawns, improving this will be a part of the change.

So hold off on this change until that's done because your once again souring the milk for the babies who don't like leaving alpha and that's exactly the kind of player base we are suffering by not having. Bitter vets aplenty but the alpha dwellers who keep a game alive are leaving in droves.

on the contrary, the longer the bugged system is online, the more you will get used to it, and then get complaints later when its fixed.
single-account new player are not affected by this fix to the aggro mechanic, except them not learning from day1 that a support account can be afk.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

80 (edited by Kanogi 2014-07-30 22:26:41)

Awsome change now i cant use my scarab as a nexus bot while mining because i have to energy transfer it with my riveler fuuu

Another one of those not completly tought tru changes, like aoe dmg removes loot from npc's.

[05:36:51] <Lemon> i hate you... just so you know

[15:05:49] <Ville> I have to admit, that was pretty fu**ing pimp ^^
                           http://www.perp-kill.net/related/749

Zoom - do you see what they are asking for:
you are not supposed to do itterative develepment - you have to keep all your game changes on your DEV server until you have finished EVERYTHING you have on your todo-list, and then patch it in one go...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

Zoom - do you see what they are asking for:
you are not supposed to do itterative develepment - you have to keep all your game changes on your DEV server until you have finished EVERYTHING you have on your todo-list, and then patch it in one go...

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Annihilator wrote:
Jita wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

on the contrary, the longer the bugged system is online, the more you will get used to it, and then get complaints later when its fixed.
single-account new player are not affected by this fix to the aggro mechanic, except them not learning from day1 that a support account can be afk.

I would well be in favour of this change if they balanced the farming bots not needing support. Both new and old players will be happier. Do you think I like taking extra accounts to farm?

Make a specialized PVE bot tier with same bot chasis, so it does not mix balance with the pvp ones.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

I would well be in favour of this change if they balanced the farming bots not needing support. Both new and old players will be happier. Do you think I like taking extra accounts to farm?

Make a specialized PVE bot tier with same bot chasis, so it does not mix balance with the pvp ones.

i wonder who'se idea it was to turn npcs into resources required in masses to produce robots that you never lose while farming them, but in pvp.

Annihilator wrote:
Celebro wrote:

i wonder who'se idea it was to turn npcs into resources required in masses to produce robots that you never lose while farming them, but in pvp.

I remember bullshit like this.  Do you?  Don't *** up the game.  Don't go backwards.

Population graphs

there is a deep abyss infront of you... don't go backwards!

Annihilator wrote:

there is a deep abyss infront of you... don't go backwards!

More like walking a tight rope that you're jumping up and down on.

Population graphs

DEV Zoom wrote:

Nobody profits more - the rats don't die faster, its just less effort. We are used to that as we were around before it happened. They are not. How many people will not see the patch notes, lose an RR heavy and think *** it.

Same thing happened when suddenly nia was full of observers. I saw that change lose 20% of Norhoop. Laughed when peanut lost like six rivelers and rage quit. You have to understand that right now even the die hards are struggling to find an excuse to play. Little changes can cause big ripples, especially among carebears.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Annihilator wrote:

And I know your trying to be funny but actually this is kinda right. I'd much rather every three months have a bunch of stuff pre announced and teased come at once that seemed to be coherently linked together than little changes over that period.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

There will always be people who don't read patch notes, I'm afraid with that logic we'd never be allowed to make mechanics changes.

DEV Zoom wrote:

There will always be people who don't read patch notes, I'm afraid with that logic we'd never be allowed to make mechanics changes.

Well as the saying goes, business would be great if it wasn't for all the customers.

Nobody disagrees with the patch, just the timing.

I would just like to point out that a bug that got introduced along the way of fixing stuff doesn't necessarily need fixing if it turns out to have beneficial effects. The changing of aggro mechanics makes solo play more attractive relatively to follow bot + pew pew bot, it doesn't mean that solo play on its own is more attractive all the sudden.

But hey, this is just the opinion of a new player to the game so flame away and disregard it as uninformed/inexperienced smile

93 (edited by Kaldenines 2014-07-31 02:31:03)

DEV Zoom wrote:

We could of course do the same for weapons, NPC aggro when you're just PvPing someone. But I don't think that's needed to deal with the root issue, which is support bots standing around 24/7 unharmed. (Although this would solve the problem of different type spawns not aggroing in one place, but that will be reworked anyway somewhere around the mission revamp.)

People don't go around "just PvPing someone" in your game.  Any half decent mech/heavy fleet will involve RSAs and that will agro the NPCs.  This may not be such a big issue but it's symptomatic of your one-size-fits-all approach to balance changes.

As for "Ville's easy mode", do you think people who have played this game for more than a month log in every day thinking "ooh I wonder if I will be able to farm that hard spawn today, let me go and try". 
People farm spawns just to make NIC and get resources to do things that are actually fun, like PvP or even production and research.  Please find me one person who plays the game because they just love to farm spawns.

Farming spawns is never going to be "hard" because people will simply move to easier spawns or do something else that gives them better NIC per hour rather than risking their pve bot day in day out on a "hard" spawn.

What you are really doing with a change like that is
1) Changing the economics of farming.  Weather NPCs do or do not shoot your support is not the issue here.  The issue is that you are again increasing the number of man hours required to obtain things in the game.
2) Introducing a bunch of side effects that people will try to exploit in PvP and god knows where else.
3) Also nerfing people who use energy transfer for mining (filthy multiboxing bastards had it coming I guess).

So if your idea of a challenging game is one in which people spend 95% of their time farming, don't be surprised if you are not getting a lot of players.

Again I am not saying that NPCs should not attack follow bots but please be consistent.  With this change it becomes more dangerous to RSA someone than to actually lock and shoot an NPC. It would make sense if RSAing the character actually shooting the NPC caused agro.  It would also make sense if you made the NPCs red but that is a whole different story.

P.S. nice work on the shooting of land tiles, that one's a bit overdue.
P.P.S. space bar does not seem to work in the current test build

+1
-Confucius

does this change mean that observers will agro at 1000m on rsa bots?? or what is this magical agro range? or does this only apply to orange npcs?

Because i have seen more than 1 fight get realy interesting because someone pulled observers, especially now that they follow u to the end of the world yarr

95 (edited by Syndic 2014-07-31 05:22:38)

I actually agree with Kaldenines, IMO the only fun thing in this game is PVP the rest is mostly garbage.

+ 1

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

DEV Zoom wrote:

Ville wants easymode again, Syndic thinks his genius reverse-psychology crusade worked, macros will be harmed, everything is fine in Perpland \o/

Clearly a victim of forum propaganda.

I continue to await the next time you're not predictable. Only in those rare moments do things get better.

Sparking to other games

too bad you are making all these changes to AI when all you need is to go back to all red NPCs and Roaming spawns on Alpha  ... and roaming observers as well .... you could never leave your miner truly AFK ... but with so many small changes invested into changing NPC mechanics you have forgotten how well the old ones worked.

It appears you guys are trying to eliminate the "grinding" aspect of pve in perp, but I think you are forgetting players need something to reliably grind in order to accumulate wealth to do other things in game, its unfortunately a basic tenent of all MMOs.

Kanogi wrote:

does this change mean that observers will agro at 1000m on rsa bots?? or what is this magical agro range? or does this only apply to orange npcs?

Because i have seen more than 1 fight get realy interesting because someone pulled observers, especially now that they follow u to the end of the world yarr

roaming observers attack you when get into their aggro range, no matter what you do. they are red. OFC the change only applies to ORANGE NPCs.

Kesh wrote:

I would just like to point out that a bug that got introduced along the way of fixing stuff doesn't necessarily need fixing if it turns out to have beneficial effects. The changing of aggro mechanics makes solo play more attractive relatively to follow bot + pew pew bot, it doesn't mean that solo play on its own is more attractive all the sudden.
But hey, this is just the opinion of a new player to the game so flame away and disregard it as uninformed/inexperienced smile

i would like to point out that this only affects solo-multiboxing player, and makes ZERO difference to those using only one account at a time anyway.
I would also like to point out, that "aggro" is something you can manage by causing just MORE aggro with your combat bot. RSA/RR bots did not get flagged as primary targets before the bug appeared, and it was not impossible to just draw the aggro back to the DPS bot.
Ontop of that, what does it matter when the Support bot is under attack? its most likely a riveler with all leg slots filled with rechargers, except one for a shield generator... thats enough to survive that attack of those npcs that do not die before their lock-cycle has finished.

Annihilator wrote:
Kanogi wrote:

roaming observers attack you when get into their aggro range, no matter what you do. they are red. OFC the change only applies to ORANGE NPCs.

well last time npcs aggroed by module activation like sensor amps, they aggroed a lot further away than usual

Well, there is grinding and there is grinding.  At the moment I am grinding towards a jet in war thunder.  Except what I am really doing is learning to fly a bunch of planes against real players who are often more experienced/better pilots than me.  In the higher tiers, in the realistic battles mode, every kill feels like an achievement.  There the "grind" is hard.

Ok, so war thunder it's not an mmo but the mmo market has been stale for years and it's only a matter of time before someone puts two and two together and makes an mmo where the grind is enjoyable and challenging.

Like Cassius said, in perp (like most other mmos) the grind is a means to an end and is just about efficiency.

+1
-Confucius