Re: Instant terrain locking

We can obviously not do this (that's why I posted it here and not in the patch notes after it's already done), but I think once you can do single-tile terraforming only, and unfortunately things look like it, this ewar consequence will be miniscule compared to that.

Why not just sack terraforming completely and not waste any development time here? It has been a problem since it's beginning and now with those nerfs it will be mostly useless.

Perpetuum is not Minecraft and handicapped terraforming is nowhere near as fun as the current system is. I would suggest just spending the development horsepower on figuring out how exactly all the structures should be working.

Single tile terraforming is far more overpowered than beacon in pvp since the 2d 3d change.

Removing beacon Terra forming is nuts just change the tools removing the size column so that you just have strength and make it so that if you terraform at the edge of the plan it effects terrain beyond the plan walls.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Burial: single-tile terraforming can be limited and is somewhat necessary because no terraforming plus building auto-terraforming is a whole different can of worms. Even if people won't use terraforming as much as now there is no real reason to completely remove it as an option.

Jita: it would be too long to explain, but currently we don't know of a way that could let us keep beacon/plan terraforming with the proposed goals in mind (no unpassable terrain walls). I have hinted a part of the problem here.

30 (edited by Gunner 2014-01-22 17:54:42)

WTF????     " this ewar consequence will be miniscule"     Did you really write that????

Lets just say that we cant shoot single tilers at all??

Why not?

What on earth are you guys even thinking?

WOW!

Do you even have a thought when you make decisions like this or it just comes to you at coffee in the morning???

You cant just remove EWAR from certain things, its a sandbox.

DEV Zoom wrote:

We can obviously not do this (that's why I posted it here and not in the patch notes after it's already done), but I think once you can do single-tile terraforming only, and unfortunately things look like it, this ewar consequence will be miniscule compared to that.

31 (edited by Burial 2014-01-22 18:09:36)

You do realize that he was hinting that offensive terraforming will be more or less gone.. ? lol

// From what I gather, you won't be able to build straight walls. That means when you want to build a higher area, you need to start from the outsides and end up with a small hill. If you want a lower area, you start from outer area again and end up with a valley.

Dont take his side.  It is grossly irresponsible.

Burial wrote:

You do realize that he was hinting that offensive terraforming will be more or less gone.. ? lol

Ok Ok Ok Ok...

Dev Zoom,

Not a single person complained, ever, about locking the ground.

Nobody ever ever mentioned it.

You are solving a problem that you somehow anticipated would be a problem and ATOM bombed it.

Please please just leave things as they are.

pretty please

STOP

now is not the time for devils advocate

Burial wrote:

// From what I gather, you won't be able to build straight walls. That means when you want to build a higher area, you need to start from the outsides and end up with a small hill. If you want a lower area, you start from outer area again and end up with a valley.

Gunner you are worse than a female on period. Hold yourself together! big_smile

Gunner, dude, you're panicking. This is a discussion. You're not contributing to it.

He's actually being very polite and calm, constructive suggestions at this point would likely be bannable offenses.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Burial wrote:

And yes, pretty much this.

Another example is that if you would want to flatten a whole mountain then you would have to start at the top and gradually work your way down over the whole area. And if you can't get up to the top then you would have to terraform a "scaffolding" first.

(And I realize this is now all over the different topics, but there will be a summary when we got everything pinned down.)

All I am going to say Zoom is you probably have 40-50 active players on both sides who have played and used Gamma mechanics since its implementation. When it gets reset you pretty much have one last chance to get it mostly right.

It sounds as if the Devs have already decided what the changes and reset will be, minus fine details.

When there are still so many good ideas from players who have lived and played it for the last 2 years.

Please allow input, please consider it, fully, before implementing anything.

You have a last chance to make this a great game. Don't *** it up.

Taking into account TF can no longer create impassable terrain for light/assult, I see only 1 need for offensive TF.

Make a few cycles per tile to create mech/Hmech passable terrain.

TF can be used to create a small LOS bunker, but because it can't go beyond light/assault, it's effectiveness is probably not going to be worth the time.

So, a defensive force isn't going to need to sit behind the wall of mordor and delay an offensive force's push to open a door.

All the attacker will need to do is bring a few assaults, which will be able to make direct contact with the Ewar: and/or counter EW.

Arga: it could create a "LOS bunker", but obviously only over a much larger area (because of the slope limitations), which wouldn't be practical as a "blitz" strategy.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Arga: it could create a "LOS bunker", but obviously only over a much larger area (because of the slope limitations), which wouldn't be practical as a "blitz" strategy.

Yep, that's what I meant by effectiveness not worth the time.

Someone mentioned turrets have a higher aim point, which would mean the bunker would have to be bigger then if just LOS'ing bots too I believe.

Correct, and I have a feeling missile turrets would still be a problem.

Burial wrote:

Correct, and I have a feeling missile turrets would still be a problem.

On the flip-side, the turrets are also going to have a range/angle component too, because to get them high enough to shoot over walls they are going to need to be further back.

The idea of offensive/defensive terraforming is very small after the new terraforming changes, so the problem about ECM is moot. Who says things can't change ECM is just to counter DPS/EWAR attacks.

+1 for instant locking terrain change.

RIP PERPETUUM

Anyway, this topic can be concluded that we won't do the instant terrain locking. Yet. I still have a feeling that you will want it sooner or later. Testing will decide I guess.

WHAT????

I was the first person to point out the obvious problem with ECM/EWAR proof industrials.

I am sorry that wrecks your ideal plans.

That is the truth and YOU have to deal with it.

tell me im not contributing, YOU are not cotributing positively to the game, Zoom

DEV Zoom wrote:

Gunner, dude, you're panicking. This is a discussion. You're not contributing to it.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Anyway, this topic can be concluded that we won't do the instant terrain locking. Yet. I still have a feeling that you will want it sooner or later. Testing will decide I guess.

All the miners just cried a single tear.

Not being able to instant lock isn't going to have any immediate effect either way, so this seems like the right decision to make now.

Thanks for bringing it up first, and now that we know it's an option, after gamma is changed we can see if there's a reason to make an arguement for the change.

use T4 sensor amps

GG

50 (edited by Inda 2014-01-22 20:11:35)

Zoom wait,

you would rid off Terraforming from the game???

See what you do, I simply cant terraform any "nice" structure on the island after that, we cant even terraform a PVP arena, a PIT, NOTHING!!!

TERRAFORMING is a feautre of Perpetuum!
If you cant do beacon terrafroming, and cant do just light/assault slope high.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD