Re: - Spark Teleport - Power Projection - Now with poll!

Burial wrote:

Funny thing is that these guys will be gone in a month or two tops and we will have to live with whatever system that's going to get implemented. big_smile

So you shuld keep horrible mechanics just because some ppl might leve the game?

Next time the devs relese some thing to this game they shuld pre nerf it and boost it over time to make sure its not breaking the game.

I'm not saying keep it as is, just hoping they also: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/87064/#p87064

other idea:

your corp can set up a "home base" thats a corp skill and no personal. this home base can be any terninal. alpha/beta/gamma. this can not be changed fast and takes 48h to take effect.
every corp member can spark to the corp home base just as it would be a spark target. for noob corps these are of cource the alpha 1 main terninals

the costs of the sparks should not depend on the island type. it should depend how far away from your corp home base it is.

that way you can easy maintain sparks on "your" island(s).

- your home island and neighboring islands cost one point
- 2-3 islands out cost 2 points
- further away cost 3 points

that way you can easy manage your "home terretory" and if you want to be all around teh word then this will be hard.

dont make stuff hard for ppl who live in the pvp areas. sparks there are essential.
alone for effectivly defending a gamma (if there is a war) you should have at least 3 sparks there. or you will be significant at the disadvantage.

but i guess the ppl that complain about sparks have forgotten how it is to live on gamma, and what it takes to do and maintain that without having to use half the day for logistics.

Gamma only needs sparks to defend if its designed that way. Much like when the game changed and peoples bases fell because of it you also will need to alter your design to live without sparks.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

"Blood sparks": this will be reverted to the old system where you can only set a home base to the terminal you're currently at.

Spark teleports: beyond the slots idea we'll also explore how we could exponentially increase the teleporting fee based on range to the target.

When you say beyond the slots idea can you detail what that means and likely time of implementation.

Ps I love you and want your man babies

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Well, Mongolia Jones' slots idea, but to specify and expand a bit:

* Your 10 target slots become 10 "slot credits"
* Different terminals/outposts cost different slot credits:
   - 1 slot: Alpha 1 terminals and outposts
   - 2 slot: Alpha 2 and Beta main terminals
   - 3 slot: Beta outposts and Gamma terminals
* Teleport fee would depend on range to the target, could be in the range of 10,000-5,000,000 NIC on an exponential curve

And I have to talk to the guys about this, can't tell any dates until that.

158 (edited by Burial 2013-11-16 15:55:58)

The NIC idea is great.

What I don't like is that with slot system or any other similar system suggested so far it discriminates people on Gamma. If you choose not to live on Gamma, you have more slots for Beta and that's where the real sparking power lies.

Gamma is already nerfed and there's no reason to nerf it even further.

What I propose is really simple: Every player gets 1 Alpha spark, 1 Beta spark and 1 Gamma spark.

// Zoom, if the new system still allows people to set sparks on 3 Beta terminals, there's close to no improvement.

Burial: well if that's a concern then simply have beta outposts take 4 slots. I know I said I could be convinced to have only 1-2 sparks but I'm not sure whether that would be an overkill or not. The main concern seems to be intrusions/pvp/maybe gamma, I would not nerf alpha teleporting just because of that.

With 4 slots people would have to decide between having targets to 2 important outposts or putting 3 targets to the main beta terminals and move out from there (and still have free slots for one outpost). The latter is not an option for outpost-only Beta2s obviously.

160 (edited by Burial 2013-11-16 17:09:24)

I understand, you want people to be able to check their market orders and such, but if sparking on Alpha is cheap, people can still Interzone/walk to nearby Betas and protect them without breaking a sweat. If you enable cheap Alpha sparks, you also enable fast Beta access.

Now add that you could also relatively cheaply get few Beta sparks, one powerblock can cover all the islands just as easily as now.

That suggestion really is a huge hit to people with 2+ spread out Gamma bases and no real gain to the problem at hand. Bear in mind that Gamma isn't the problem. We destroyed their gammas, they despise ours and it's just a collateral damage for them.

Even with 1 alpha, 1 beta and 1 gamma, the gamma empires are really getting the tail end of the whole undertaking, only difference is that it actually has some of the wanted effect on Betas.

What I suggest is, improve Alpha networks so it's not so painful to travel and check orders and add the 1+1+1 system, or something better.

Burial wrote:

If you enable cheap Alpha sparks, you also enable fast Beta access.

I don't see that as an inherently bad thing, how much you have to walk on open PvP terrain is more important isn't it?

I'm convinced that spark teleports can have a positive effect on PvP if balanced properly and I don't want to nerf it to the point again where half an hour of PvP would require an hour of walking beforehand.

I disagree with burial, its the same problem on gamma as beta. You just shouldn't be able to be on multiple gammas instantly without serious logistics.

That's coming from someone with access to stations on four islands.

Current mechanics allow Pvp from alpha easily - I inter zoned in to a fight yesterday smiting horse *** with my wrath quite effectively.

That said I think alpha should be two points, beta outposts 4, beta stations 3 and gamma 3.

164 (edited by Burial 2013-11-16 17:40:35)

We have usually one staging outpost per 2 Beta islands and we often launch from Alpha 1 and Alpha 2. With those conditions, they are still complaining about power projection. With the suggested update, it doesn't change much.

I want to point out that SAP defence is NOT about just sparking everything you can find to an outpost and rickrolling whatever shows up. We have eyes and detectors literally in every spot we can have on both Alpha and Beta and we are preparing hours before important SAPs.

@Zoom, what exactly are you trying to archieve?
Stop power projection?
Make it easier for newbies to live/conquer beta outposts?
Stop the complainers?
Or is the problem just "you shouldn't be able to <insert something with no reasoning here>"?

I don't even fully understand the problem to be honest.

Jita wrote:

I disagree with burial, its the same problem on gamma as beta. You just shouldn't be able to be on multiple gammas instantly without serious logistics.

That's coming from someone with access to stations on four islands.

There is already serious logistics involved with Gamma bases. I get the feeling you don't really utilize those outposts to the fullest. Bear in mind you can't bring anything with you when using Spark Teles. Only place where Spark Teleports help is reduce the "pointless" trips back and forth where you don't really haul anything.

Burial wrote:

I want to point out that SAP defence is NOT about just sparking everything you can find to an outpost and rickrolling whatever shows up. We have eyes and detectors literally in every spot we can have on both Alpha and Beta and we are preparing hours before important SAPs.

I know that and you know that, but 1000+ posts show that people are in a hysteric mindset where spark teleport is the root of all evil and without it we'd be having 100+ battles again and there would be joy in PvPland again. roll

Burial wrote:

Zoom, who exactly are you trying to please? Stop power projection? Make it easier for newbies to live/conquer beta outposts? Stop the complainers? Or is the problem just "you shouldn't be able to <insert something with no explanation here>"?

I don't want to stop power projection because it cannot be stopped by anything we do to spark teleports. I only want to make it harder, cause that's what most of the complaints are about as far as I can see.

I don't want to make it easier for newbies to conquer betas because quite simply I don't think that's newbie content. (We could argue about what a newbie is but that's a whole different topic.)

What I'm trying to achieve is to keep the positive aspect of spark teleports (less walking) without it being overpowered in PvP (harder power projection).

DEV Zoom wrote:

Well, Mongolia Jones' slots idea, but to specify and expand a bit:

* Your 10 target slots become 10 "slot credits"
* Different terminals/outposts cost different slot credits:
   - 1 slot: Alpha 1 terminals and outposts
   - 2 slot: Alpha 2 and Beta main terminals
   - 3 slot: Beta outposts and Gamma terminals
* Teleport fee would depend on range to the target, could be in the range of 10,000-5,000,000 NIC on an exponential curve

And I have to talk to the guys about this, can't tell any dates until that.

Terrible idea. You are trying to fix PvP and you are punishing industry and everyone else.
I have 7 sparks. They are:

Hersh
Brightstone
Kara
Dana
3 stations on Imidero

My blood spark is to another Gamma.

My sparks on gamma are for industrial uses, mining, harvesting, etc.
This is a game of conflict. If you wish to stop Gamma expansion by a Corp it sgould be stopped by guns, not mechanics. This is a game of empire building, and there is a reward for those players who continue to play the game for the long haul. Your proposal shifts the focus to the casual player and hit and run PvP. The casual player doesn't need to play this game month after month.

These limits royally screw the indy player. And, once its implemented, you will see it do nothing to fix the root causes of why the game is stagnant. The Epi change was the first and best step in the right direction but it wont be apparent until stockpiles run low.

I guess 50 total pages of people stating "its a broken mechanic" has finally convinced the Devs its a"broken mechanic".
When it wasn't. A simple 5 minute cooldown, nothing more, would have sufficed and eliminated most of the arguements of it being OP.

I don't argue my position on this from a political standpoint, nor from a position of what I currently have or have access to. I think this is wrong and bad because you are suggesting a change that drastically affects a much larger area than what you think you are correcting. People forget what travel was like before sparks, and before Gamma, I mentioned in Gen Chat if I want to haul items from Hersh to Imi, its 45 minutes. I spend 45 minutes of my game time every time I want one Scarab of goods moved, and at least half that time is in an area where I can be killed, Isn't this enough of an opportunity for my enemies to kill me if they so choose? I guess not.

The limit of 10 sparks is perfect. A 5 minute cooldown would be enough. Blood sparking only to current set home base, This is all that would be needed to balance SpT. 

You guys want players to invest in this game. You will make it so the best way to play is casual encounters, That defeates the point of building bases, taking saps. Living in the game. Is this what you want?

167 (edited by Burial 2013-11-16 18:01:21)

That's a hard nut to crack, Zoom.

If you want non-PVP activities to still benefit from Sparking while PVP activities getting a nerf, then I would suggest you into looking options such as this. It's not really a simplest solution that fits all, but the overall effect seems to fit. Penalize PVP activities and sparking while keep everything else pretty much the same.

Something like a 10-15min cooldown doesn't sound too bad either.

Zoom, don't listen to the TOURISTS who come play the game for a week or two every few months and leave dissapointed when unable to ripple political landscape. big_smile

So, what I found out is that the moderators of this game, its devs, the masters of the little world we play in (however you want to say it) can be forced to do things by whiners. "and be done with this" So ultimately the best weapon in the game is a complaint, valid or not, and you will get your way. GG

Forum Warrior
A person who spends a considerable amount of time on internet forums dedicated to specific interests (such as games, etc). Consider themselves experts on said specific interest while (usually) not contributing anything to the interest themselves. A good size of their input, often the majority of it, is negative; they reason that this is the easiest way to prove themselves knowledgeable on the subject. They have little clout in the interest regarding whatever topic the forum is dedicated to, so the forum is the only way they can feel they are contributing.

Um, Zoom people only complain about ICS B, ABT, and TMB. 

The reasoning behind this is they are tired of getting ganked and sparked into.  I do not see any reason why a owner of a station should not be able to get there when they wish.  Gamma's should never have a penalty of getting there when you wish.  The risk is far to high, for the investment that is made. 

The only reason we can deploy so fast is we have taken the time and invested into beta outposts.  Other's need to do the same.  (And they are currently and will continue to do so.)

10 sparks in relation to a bigger world would make sparks less of a issue.  You will still have your hot spots (that's the point) and you will have your dull spots.   Players can make of it as they wish. 

Zoom look at beta 2s.  They have sparks, we have the power to lock whoever we wish out.  Yet most of what this topic is about is attempting to make beta 1s more secure, like B2's.  Why are we trying to pull the diversity out of the game?  Look at where the PVP is occurring, its all out of B1's and the open terminals.   Why is that a bad thing?  Because one side seems to be winning all the time.  (Which isn't the case at all.)   

I would much rather your Team continue to work on what your already doing.  Making the beginning side of things more user friendly.  Rather then, being lulled into a false premise of a argument.

One last point, as the game stands now, those three termails have ZERO value.  All of the mining for Epi, and other beta related activity's (so far just well Epi) will go on at Beta 2s.  Some will attempt to say that beta 1s are great for missions, not so much. 

Why are beta 1s so hostel then?  Its because we have a player base that chooses to make them so, for FUN.  We dont need them, so why fight for them, and lose bots over them.  Well again, its for fun.

As it stands now we have two side of how we wish for this game to be directed.

One side wishes to have open choices and fluid movement, not of hard game assets, but rather the opportunity of movement of your character, over the game world.

The other wishes to have movement restricted, making a more cell blocked game.  Meaning more people into higher concentrated groupings, in more concentrated land masses, with very small fluid movement.

How you decide this will change the game greatly.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Canthra Monero wrote:

Blah Blah whiney I'm a veteran and the other side isn't.

Fact is the people your calling noobs are mostly early access account holders that have supported this game longer then most. They have held Beta and Gamma and were likely testers who have suffered through imba's numerous times. Trust me I know where your coming from I spent a *** amount of NIC on walls to have them nerfed by M2S qq because they couldn't even get to our saps only to see after the nerf they used our exact strategy.
We were not compensated for the fact that we spent over 20bil on walls to make South Isets a fortress. People quit because of it. Stop pointing the finger and be constructive. Sore winners are.....

@ Burial that idea is ok'ish but some people have pvp pure accounts and wont bother to get relations up to do any thing. Tieing in a mechanic that forces people to do missions will be very bad. Sounds like theme park to me.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

Burial wrote:

Zoom, don't listen to the TOURISTS who come play the game for a week or two every few months and leave dissapointed when unable to ripple political landscape. big_smile

Spin much?

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

I will add, please look at the existing map and political control.

Is the current landspace because of SpT?

No. We took and captured what we did, mostly after the opposition stopped playing (sorry fellow STC and friends I don't mean to minimize how adept you are at taking and defending Gammas)

Can we maintain the current landscape because of SpT.

It definitely helps, for sure. Our alliance is the largest in game.

But the actual answer is no. If the opposition returned in the same or close numbers as our side, and with the same dedication, we would hold far less and things would be balanced.

Did the opposition post 1000's of messages when they were active in game and utilized SpT equally?

No. No need to explain this.

Do what you think is right for the game Zoom. But try and understand the reasons why things are the way they are currently. For the most part you do things right, but of course mistakes get made. My opinion is the proposed changes to SpT is a mistake and will not help the game in the long term.

173 (edited by Funding 2013-11-16 18:56:58)

I apologize that I haven't read the entire thread.  I am likewise certain that I don't fully understand all the concerns but I think I see most of them.

What if we changed the mechanic of owning stations rather than sparks.  Make owning stations based on some CEO/Corporate skill that is expensive.  Owning one is cheap, with the cap of station ownership less than half of all stations.. and make it about picking the RIGHT stations rather than getting all of them.

Then change the spark mechanic to allow corp only use of a teleport between corp owned stations.  This would make it so corps could rally to their own troops and defended their limited stations easily..but not provide offensive advantage for teleporting.  The point is to create incentives to select from all the available stations those that best serve the corporate interest but provide a game limitation on no corp every being able to dominate the entirety of the station inventory.

It won't prevent alliances from cooperating, but the teleportation limits the cooperation instantly (has to be planned for all to arrive on time) as well as provide more roaming/away from station convoy ambushes.  This spark limitation would not apply to alpha 1 or 2.  Ie., don't impact the industrials as harshly.

An example maxxed pvp character (spark 10) with maxxed corp would have:

Up to 4-6 stations that can be owned of the 18 stations.  The member would use 6 of his teleport sparks on those terminals, leaving 4 sparks for alphas.

A intermediate player with moderate skills (spark 7) could have 2-4 stations of the 18, with the remaining
3-4 for alpha.

The new player (spark 0-4) with newb corp could have 0-1 stations fairly easily.  Leaving 2-3 teleports for alpha.

Uber alliance with 6 maxxed corps could conceivably control all stations, but that would mean significant ep investment, major coordination, and could be challenged at weak points for other to break.  The alliance would have to roam to support the member corps instead of just insta-jump.  Also limit the number of stations on any one island.. maybe to no more than 2/4 1/3, preventing a corp from "owning an island".  They either recruit an alliance corp to join them or they leave themselves open to island warfare with enemy.

I intended this as a balanced submission, not as a partisan post.  Be kind.

Funding

Umm.   

You all crying only because u have so much at stake all of a sudden..

STC, DOY+ frend own 11 Beta outpost.......

How many Gamma bases do u also have? 5-7?

How easy do u whant it all to be for u?

I will say again imagine eve if everyone in game could move to any system with no check or balances.

Thats what we have in perp right now.