Topic: someone has to say it

Hi!

I wish to inquire about a feature your about to implement, my question is:  You guys did leave expansion access to easily add new tech right?  Silly question but still.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: someone has to say it

Sure, it's easier than in the current system too.

So theoretically the implementation of new tiers of equipment and robots can be easily stream lined into the research tree along with kernels ? What I'm saying is while your at it you should prestage the next tier, just not release it.  But have it in place so it's a flip of a switch wham bam thank you ma'am.

Putting new items into the tech tree is one thing, creating them in the first place is another. That would take a lot more time just for the sake of being some kind of a placeholder for now.

How is Said patch coming Zoom. Should be about done eh? this weekend, perhaps. Can i get an update in here.
Ep reset, research patch?

We're working on the UI now, I'll post an update in the coming days.

Well ya better do something quick ... local is barely making double digits

http://i.imgur.com/fdrtZb1.jpg

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Um... june is here.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Putting new items into the tech tree is one thing, creating them in the first place is another. That would take a lot more time just for the sake of being some kind of a placeholder for now.

So, you create a whole new setup and system, but don't make it easy on yourself to have a placeholder mechanic for further expansion?  Why would you do that to yourself?  I'm not trolling but it sounds like your going to have to invent the wheel everytime you want wiggle room in the game, with new content.  If you had taken this is consideration your upcoming patches/expansion would have been easier for you and take a lot less time.  Because let's be honest Tier 5 modules are -> Copy T4 -> Change Purple to Red and change 4 to 5. - Change % by 5 to 10, Save as T5.  Then if you had the placeholder mechanic in, plug and play.  Then move to testing.  *** this could be done in a week.  Come on you seriously didn't put a place holder mechanic in?

Yet another industry update that makes it harder for new players and vets alike that nobody actually asked for. Awesome, can't wait.

Zoom: Yes, it's even easier than now.
Vile: So why don't you put in new tiers now but just hide it?
Zoom: Content is a different thing.

Srsly. smile

So no updates, we have all resorted to trolling ... awesome..

DEV Zoom wrote:

Zoom: Yes, it's even easier than now.
Vile: So why don't you put in new tiers now but just hide it?
Zoom: Content is a different thing.

Srsly. smile

I really hope whoever is fitting the bill for this game didn't take project coordination and critical thinking in college...

If you like the following things, then your on the right track:  Taking 6 to 8 monthes to patch recycled content, taking longer to program a video game then roughing in a 6 story building, enjoying single digits in general chat during peak US time zone, eating Raman noodles; however, the player base clearly isn't impressed.  smile

Zoom I'm not trying to having who's *** is bigger contest, it's just the small things that can help streamline faster development in the future.  You think I'm critical wait two months after steam launch and see all the wtf where's my new ak47 with red dot sniper em lazer cannon of doom???  This game is like my wife, I got too much time and effort invested now to ever walk away and I know you have a great game it's just the small things with tweaking that drive me up the wall which could speed up the process.  So that's my two cents and I'm done and I hope you realize I'm not trying to be an ***, I just want this game to stomp the rest.

I'm sure you're not trying to be an ***, and I'm also pretty sure you don't see what it takes to get a new tier of modules into the game. Again: into the game, not into the techtrees.

It's not about adding some numbers into the database, or like just copying T4 and multiplying every parameter with 5%. Even if it would be as easy like that, that's just wrong from a balancing viewpoint.

17 (edited by Burial 2013-06-06 18:48:04)

Losers will cry. smile

Why you crying burial?

Losers will never beat me. smile

So your crying because Xadhoom can't beat you?

21 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-06-06 20:37:22)

I'm just curious, do you guys have a graphic designer or artist even on staff?  I know you have coders, but that's only half of the equation when it comes to new items and bots. And this is by no means me criticizing, I know you are a small (and very busy) indie team, I was just genuinely curious?  or do you contract out for graphics/artistry work?

Martha Stuart wrote:

I'm just curious, do you guys have a graphic designer or artist even on staff?  I know you have coders, but that's only half of the equation when it comes to new items and bots. And this is by no means me criticizing, I know you are a small (and very busy) indie team, I was just genuinely curious?  or do you contract out for graphics/artistry work?

If so, they need to get a refund for the Doom 1 water.

No they don't, they had one guy and he left a long time ago.

A few things to add

* Ville, the enormousness of rebuilding code is far more complex than hanging drywall, is not even in the same arena thats why most programers get paid 10x more than some dude hanging sheet-rock.

* Understand that the new research system is (in the eyes of the coder) not recycled content its rewriting part of the core of the game. I would be shocked if they took the existing code for the research system and just kept modifying it to change it into the new system over doing a complete rewrite.

* Understand that the new system in any SQL database has the ability to put in place holders, but the question is why put a stupid place holder in when it takes extra time? the players wont see it and it will just have two be rewritten when the actual item is programed in tot he game. so in essence you are just asking the DEVS to waste time for nothing.

* At this point players are funding the game ... I dont know how many others have CS Degrees but when you have a small Team the project management can very lax due to staffing constraints, and dates are changed on a regular basis.

Ville wrote:

This game is like my wife,  So that's my two cents and I'm done

* ummm ... ok

* Understand that the DEVs will never give the play by play on the code writing process even if some would be very interested to see that, its just too time consuming and only raises more debate than needed. I read a lot of game forums and i will saty that the perp DEVs are more open than most when it comes to new content and what there working on. many companies will limit their spokesmen to only replying to bugs, moderation (game /forum)   

Believe it or not but the only way to inprove the game and speed up new content / production is to have more players subbing and grow the population . . . .

Ville wrote:

I just want this game to stomp the rest.

doom and gloom will not do that

TLDR; just sayin

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tux wrote:

A few things to add

* Ville, the enormousness of rebuilding code is far more complex than hanging drywall, is not even in the same arena thats why most programers get paid 10x more than some dude hanging sheet-rock.

* Understand that the new research system is (in the eyes of the coder) not recycled content its rewriting part of the core of the game. I would be shocked if they took the existing code for the research system and just kept modifying it to change it into the new system over doing a complete rewrite.

* Understand that the new system in any SQL database has the ability to put in place holders, but the question is why put a stupid place holder in when it takes extra time? the players wont see it and it will just have two be rewritten when the actual item is programed in tot he game. so in essence you are just asking the DEVS to waste time for nothing.

* At this point players are funding the game ... I dont know how many others have CS Degrees but when you have a small Team the project management can very lax due to staffing constraints, and dates are changed on a regular basis.

Ville wrote:

This game is like my wife,  So that's my two cents and I'm done

* ummm ... ok

* Understand that the DEVs will never give the play by play on the code writing process even if some would be very interested to see that, its just too time consuming and only raises more debate than needed. I read a lot of game forums and i will saty that the perp DEVs are more open than most when it comes to new content and what there working on. many companies will limit their spokesmen to only replying to bugs, moderation (game /forum)   

Believe it or not but the only way to inprove the game and speed up new content / production is to have more players subbing and grow the population . . . .

Ville wrote:

I just want this game to stomp the rest.

doom and gloom will not do that

TLDR; just sayin

OMG TUX!

You are SO right!  I just thought they did nothing all day and sit and drank beer and banned me on the forums!  Wow Geee Wizz Batman I am so enlighten so much, I think I am going to go hire another 25 Mexican dry wallers and pay them 100 bucks a day to work 12 hours!  Man, I'm sure glad I read your post I have a new vigor and hopeful outlook on this game now! I didn't realize programmers jobs were so hard, I mean they do have air conditioning in hungary and nice soft comfy chairs?  I wouldn't want any of my Mexican labor force getting bright ideas in 100 degree heat or sitting down on the job!  *** them lazy over paid mexican bastards!  I'm going to remind them how worthless they are by calling INS when i get to the job Monday morning, and tell them they better be glad they can't *** Read or I would have them programming behind a computer for 8 hours in air conditioning!