Topic: PvP arena island

After reading a number of posts in the trial accounts section that complained about a lack of action that draws you into the game, I had the following idea:

I think the game could benefit from one more island.  Specifically, a PvP island that could be sparked to from nearly anywhere.  There would be no way to get a bot off of the island.  Equipment and bots on the island would be free or at most cost 10% of normal values, and everything that exists in the game would be available to buy.  The idea of course, is that anytime anyone wanted to fight another person, they could get there with minimal effort and fight at very little expense. 

The island could be listed as a training simulator, perhaps, and kills from the island probably wouldn't go onto the kill board.  One of the tutorial missions would include a requirement to do some training on this island so everyone would quickly see the PvP aspect of the game. 

I bet it would quickly become the most active island in the game.

Regards,

SPoT

Re: PvP arena island

Na.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Well, actually, such arena may be good for testing new stuff. Just limit everything you bought there you can use only there, exiting this arena in what you came in.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

Well, actually, such arena may be good for testing new stuff. Just limit everything you bought there you can use only there, exiting this arena in what you came in.

What you just explained is called a TEST server.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

TEST server doesn't work most of the time, that's the issue.

You're not supposed to test your newest fittings but the newest gamefeatures on a TESTserver.
Also something arenalike (I smell World of Warcraft and alike) would lead to even less open world pvp, since you do not take any losses?

No. On the arena you can't terraform, build your fortresses, capture the outposts etc. Just a fights in 2km limited area, and one terminal to refit. Main benefit will be that players can actually taste some PvP and learn howto before entering openworld fights. As a result, this will increase a number of PvP-experienced players.

If you can do pvp in a sandboxgame without the risk of losing anything, it is not a good sandboxgame anymore in my opinion. Actions should have consequences, hourlong pvp without losing any NIC does not. If you want to get good at pvp, join a pvp corp or start pvping at hersh to begin with.

Get out there. Do it. Lose bots. Learn.

Sorry, OP but no, implement that and I consider un-subbing.

In Neocron, there is some kind of arena, Neofrag. Ppl can join it and kill each other without any looses etc. But you know what, they do prefer "real" fights instead, cuz Neofrag doesn't give all the experience and adrenaline.

Arena hmmm yeah that's gay how about we do this all u tools with stacks of shiny just unstack 1 bot add shiny go out and pvp stop being scared about loosing ur shiny I've Ben in many pvp battles of late and people are still fitting t1 t2 gear it sad to say the least

We are playing chess and the rest of perp is playing checkers.   http://stringcan.com/wp-content/uploads … 80x305.jpg     
http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkore321/videos

Balfizar wrote:

Arena hmmm yeah that's gay how about we do this all u tools with stacks of shiny just unstack 1 bot add shiny go out and pvp stop being scared about loosing ur shiny I've Ben in many pvp battles of late and people are still fitting t1 t2 gear it sad to say the least

Yeah go tel lthat to a newbie who just came and ckecked robot prices on the market big_smile

Arena without losses?

no, because all those "elite" pvp-er would not have their epeen-advantage in there. You can read on forums:

"you can do pvp with t1 gear" -

but you can also translate that into:

"we will pwn your shiny noob-ass with t4 fit mk2 robots that we not fear to lose, because we have thousands already produced for backup in case we would ever lose one"

a loss-less arena enviroment would totally remove their equip advantage - and even those wiht only 1 t4 fit heavy mech could use that one in a pvp fight without hesitation. Extension-levels and actual tactics would be deciding factors - AND THAT does't fit into the hardcore game that perpetuum is.

because perpetuum is a sandbox game is no argument why there couldn't be a sparring or arena system.

because perpetuum is a law-less hardcore game with only a fake PvE side such a system cannot be implemented.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

Arena without losses?

no, because all those "elite" pvp-er would not have their epeen-advantage in there. You can read on forums:

"we will pwn your shiny noob-ass with t4 fit mk2 robots that we not fear to lose, because we have thousands already produced for backup in case we would ever lose one"

a loss-less arena enviroment would totally remove their equip advantage - and even those wiht only 1 t4 fit heavy mech could use that one in a pvp fight without hesitation. Extension-levels and actual tactics would be deciding factors - AND THAT does't fit into the hardcore game that perpetuum is.

because perpetuum is a sandbox game is no argument why there couldn't be a sparring or arena system.

because perpetuum is a law-less hardcore game with only a fake PvE side such a system cannot be implemented.

No- Anni, you do not seem to understand how it works, pwning noobs in t1 fits is a player exp gap problem we have right now. We cannot pretend the game is a FFA sandbox pvp with the added arena style combat, or its one or the other. Arena style pvp we have WoT or Mech warrior. Here we get our highs from 'fear' of losses.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Arena without losses?

No- Anni, you do not seem to understand how it works, pwning noobs in t1 fits is a player exp gap problem we have right now. We cannot pretend the game is a FFA sandbox pvp with the added arena style combat, or its one or the other. Arena style pvp we have WoT or Mech warrior. Here we get our highs from 'fear' of losses.

So me playing the game longer then other people is a problem? Just because I have more EP? OR have T4 Equipment?  How is that a problem, if anything I would think it would empower the newer players to work a bit more for that better gear and to stick out the game for those awesome stats.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

i remember fights were we fought armies with more ep then us, with better gear then us, and still we were able to have good fights and even win quite a couple of those. ep and gear is not the only thing. numbers is also a factor. besides everything else that makes you a battle win.

yea you will probably die in a straight 1v1 against a veteran. i am in this game for a bit over a year and i have around half the ep then the old vets. i got compedative with my heavys and can play with them. of cource there still is room for a bit improvement.

but 3 mechs can take out a heavy. this is a sandbox, we are not bound to the same level, the same numbers and the same equipment as wow and alike. this is different and every try to make things alike will fail for all those who are here for what this game is: a sandbox.

you can not step up on day one saying i have no ep and no money but i want to play on the same field. yes you can but you have to make the best out what you have. it took the vets a long time and a lot effort to get where they are. and one day ill be among them. thats the way this game or eve works. in eve its even worse and there it works for 400.000 active accounts. here you can pilot a usefull pvp bot in a few months. if you are not that patient ... well then maybe this is not your game. (sorry no offense ment).

take your time get some money, join a corp (that may speed it up) and you are good to go. for me games like wow died when they tryed to equalize everything. thats the part where it gets boring.

last example:
when stc was relative new to that game they came to alsbale for a fight. we had little numbers at the time online so we went out in our heavys. we did not know of their reinforcements comming. end of the song: they got my mesmer and were wiped by the rest of our squad. but hell they all cheered in chat and told me how much fun it was to get a heavy mech kill. for most of them it was the first. this is fun and you only get that if everything is not equalized.
then this is the essence if this game. not everybody likes it. see wow had 12m users, eve is at a max of 400k atm but still climbing as it seams. so this is not bad. but these discussions happen here they happen in eve, nad i hope that it will stay that way.

as it sould be.

In general too large a player EP gap could be a problem for newer players, but that's the sandbox. Not all players are empowered this way Merkle, they prefer whining unfortunately. Experience gaps also creates a need. A need for new players to learn from the old ones, and a sense of accomplishment from the experienced.

RIP PERPETUUM

18 (edited by Annihilator 2012-10-09 21:31:10)

hmm, for some reason i think STC is not a good example for "new player vs. vets". Since STC came as an existing experienced group, with a relatively good timezone coverage.

IMHO EP gap is not the main reason for hesitation. replacement of equipment is it. You go into a battle with a completely different mentality when you just dont have to care about what you lose, because youre corp-carebears behind 500m tall dirtwalls will work on your replacement drive.

last but not least - pvp battles are completely different from PvE battles - you cannot even train tactics against npcs.

*edit: before DEVs get the idea that they need to take out the instant loss of the robot from the game - no, thats not it! thats an even worse interpretation of the situation then the 20k EP bonus for subscription...*

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

hmm, for some reason i think STC is not a good example for "new player vs. vets". Since STC came as an existing experienced group, with a relatively good timezone coverage.

IMHO EP gap is not the main reason for hesitation. replacement of equipment is it. You go into a battle with a completely different mentality when you just dont have to care about what you lose, because youre corp-carebears behind 500m tall dirtwalls will work on your replacement drive.

last but not least - pvp battles are completely different from PvE battles - you cannot even train tactics against npcs.

*edit: before DEVs get the idea that they need to take out the instant loss of the robot from the game - no, thats not it! thats an even worse interpretation of the situation then the 20k EP bonus for subscription...*

You're further off-base than normal, if that's even possible.

As far as PvP in bots you don't care about because the Indy corp members simply make you new ones ... Lol. Any player who fights with that mentality wouldn't be invited on future roams. In most battles I've been in its not the EP or the bot that is the only factor in winning or losing, but the FC and the understanding of tactics, and the ability to think. I've met lots of new players who can think, and therefore are more than useful in PvP.

Also STC is an excellent example. When they first joined Perp they were almost all noobs, and generally refused help from vets (my self and some of my friends in WAR offered some stuff and advice that was politely declined) and they created their corp forged on their own experiences. Their current state includes some core members plus some experienced players from other group, and this is a good thing too.

I could care less if I lose a bot in combat, because I like the fact that I can die, otherwise this game would get boring fast ... And I like a tough enemy, one that can challenge me ... I use expensive stuff all the time, not because I'm rich or don't care, just because I want to be the most effective or the best challenge to my foes ... You want my stuff, kill my bot smile

Balfizar wrote:

Umm balf, STC and Nebs hit your SAP last night and all you did was sit under the OP and would not come out and engage.  Granted you were outnumbered, but before you criticise others, you should take your own advice.

risk free pvp island

no thanks -

Martha Stuart wrote:
Balfizar wrote:

Umm balf, STC and Nebs hit your SAP last night and all you did was sit under the OP and would not come out and engage.  Granted you were outnumbered, but before you criticise others, you should take your own advice.

how many times personally have u looted t1 off my mech death? Also about 5 min ago I was gonna fight 5 vs 1 but ur alliance used a tele and jumpted out then cried out to chaos for help http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=249949 would have ben a good fight too.....So you have no idea what your talking about.

We are playing chess and the rest of perp is playing checkers.   http://stringcan.com/wp-content/uploads … 80x305.jpg     
http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkore321/videos

Why are you fools talking about ep, vets and no risks? Thread is about arena island - NOTHING to do there but fights on 2km radius arena. No resources, no factories, NOTHING - how long it will take to get completely boring for most of players?

That's for newbies mostly. But even vets may find this useful - we are at low population atm, and sometimes you want to fight without mofo grind/mine/build/2 hours roaming.

Line wrote:

Why are you fools talking about ep, vets and no risks? Thread is about arena island - NOTHING to do there but fights on 2km radius arena. No resources, no factories, NOTHING - how long it will take to get completely boring for most of players?

That's for newbies mostly. But even vets may find this useful - we are at low population atm, and sometimes you want to fight without mofo grind/mine/build/2 hours roaming.

it has everything to do with risk, actually

Annihilator wrote:

Uhm. When did you first meet STC guys then? I remember in the beginning about 20 totally unexperienced players led by zwiss, who joined about two or three weaks earlier, blobbing a heavymech not even knowing about explosionmechanics, and all dieing in one big ball of fire, the heavymech included. I do not remember which island it was, but I think it was a yellow one, an although almost all of us died, we were all happy about those events. I think we fought for weeks, if not even month without any support, besides RG who let us mine epriton on novastrov; but we denied help from older players for as long as possible.

@Balf I do not know if you noticed, but Martha is a member of STC and would never call chaos for help. I think you messed up between to corporations/alliances there wink