1 (edited by Annihilator 2012-07-26 23:01:15)

Topic: Loot is everything....

In perpetuum your NIC income is 99% loot, that explodes together with your bot upon death.

For me, thats the main reason why there is no casual PvP happening - at least for me thats the reason why i wouldnt go npc hunting or mission running on beta or gamma.

For me its also the reason why there is no low-tech market. npcs dropping to much loot, especially standard.

IMHO, a better system would be:

• NPC kills should grant you a kill bounty
    - static ones almost nothing,
    - roaming ones enough to replace a standard mech with standard equip
    - standing with the local conglomerate should be linked to the bounty

• no standard loot except cargo
    - Ammo would be standard cargo of npcs
    - low chance of named equip dropped in cargo would be fine

• scavanging extension and equip
    - kernels and fragments recovered from bot wreaks, not loot container
    - logically, wreaks would last as longer then now
    - extension alone enables recovery of kernels.
      + the higher the extension, the higher the chance to extract the kernel
      + scavangin module enables extraction of fragments and rarely damaged equip
      + the higher the extension, the more fragments extracted

• seed market with syncrap equip of all kinds

• fix the issues with on-terrain research, and re-enable it

This would make it MUCH more intresting to run around and kill npcs on the move, even on beta. Low-tech production would valuable for new player due to the lack of loot. Recycling would be valuable in combination with scavanging.

You get more PvP targets, less boring PvE, and more player created items on market.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Loot is everything....

Best post I've seen in a long time.  Devs please pay attention smile

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:

Best post I've seen in a long time.  Devs please pay attention smile

+1

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

+1 Very good analysis. This will certainly help.

Also need Noctis to go with Scavenging, and tractor beams please. big_smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Extra bonus to sequer for scavenging tongue Stay in the game syndic!!

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

+1 to the OP and a +1 to indy bots (or a couple) getting a scavenger bonus. Or maybe base the bonus on the faction extension level.

8 (edited by Sundial 2012-07-27 19:39:38)

Good proposal and a step in the right direction annihilator, however see my later post for some problems.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

9 (edited by Gremrod 2012-07-27 18:28:54)

Sundial wrote:

many of the fail mechanics currently ingame that make your proposal not work/not be ballanced.

Can you list the mechanics that would cause this feature problems. that way we all know them and the DEVs know them too.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:
Sundial wrote:

many of the fail mechanics currently ingame that make your proposal not work/not be ballanced.

Can you list the mechanics that would cause this feature problems. that way we all know them and the DEVs know them too.

In the proposed system, Nuimqol would have by far the best income of any of the bots. This is because its travel speed is by far the best.

The problem this brings up is travel speed == combat speed. You can't balance the game around roaming spawns with the current mechanics because Theolodica / Pellistal would be at large disadvantages doing any kind of spawn hunting.

The other problem like I said is requiring us to use LWF for one of the few things that using plates / armor tank was actually good for. I don't want to have to use an LWF for absolutely everything.

your still looking on it from the farmers standpoint, and from the perspective of empty islands with 3 mindless roaming npc caravans.

im looking at npcs with the factional mastermind... that is not letting you kill their scouts without calling in for reinforcements.

don't look at my request topics as an enclosed entitiy, i got several simultanius on long term requests our there - and one is a sandbox AI...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

12 (edited by Syndic 2012-07-29 14:22:13)

Yeah I did incursions in EVE. People farm those too. big_smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Imo the lack of casual pvp is still the biggest single reason for the low population.  Closely followed by lack of advertising.

Perhaps missions that would ask you to hunt down a specific (randomly chosen) npc on a beta or gamma island (and pay out a hefty bounty and standings reward) would be a straight forward way to address this.

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:

Imo the lack of casual pvp is still the biggest single reason for the low population.  Closely followed by lack of advertising.

Perhaps missions that would ask you to hunt down a specific (randomly chosen) npc on a beta or gamma island (and pay out a hefty bounty and standings reward) would be a straight forward way to address this.

I agree somewhat, but what exactly do you define casual PvP as? I remember when I first joined Perpetuum I invited 3 of my friends to play with me. All 3 of them quit because even with a population of like 500 people online they couldn't find one fight in four hours of roaming.

So yeah, there definitely needs to be some type of casual / non hardcore friendly PvP.

Sundial, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  I remember roaming for hours and not finding anything even when the population was high.  It's a problem that's been there from the start.

Imo the fundamental reason for it is that people have nothing to gain (in terms of resources/NIC) by running around beta in pvp fit bots. 

When people do need to do missions or mine they group up and use detectors, scouts and probes to be almost 100% safe.  This may be more "realistic" but it doesn't make for a fun game.

I'm not saying we should make mining or regular mission running risky at this point because most people (even vets) can't afford to lose their mining or mission running bots (since they are such a logistical pain to replace).  What I'm suggesting is that there should be rewards for people who are willing to risk relatively cheaply fit pvp bots. 

At the moment that kind of casual pvp is punished in two ways:
1) you don't win anything.
2) odds are you won't even find a fight and will simply have wasted hours of your time.

Perpetuum has immense potential but new players are rightly skeptical given the ridiculous amount of time you need to spend grinding compared to the time you may spend doing something exciting.

+1
-Confucius

Remember walls?   Seeing a riveler Mk2 mining on beta...  running full speed to get a tackle only to have 9 layers of walls render and a trololol miner dock up, then get his lithus out pick up the can then troll you in gc and log off.  hmm

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Oh yes, how could I forget...

It was bad long before walls though.

The thing is that killing miners isn't really PvP.  It's PvHP (Player vs Helpless Player or Player vs Hit Points on the industrial bot).  What is needed for a fun game is for there to be fights between foes of comparable ability and some kind of benefit for the winner (other than looting the enemy's red-damaged T1 armor plate)

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:

Oh yes, how could I forget...

It was bad long before walls though.

The thing is that killing miners isn't really PvP.  It's PvHP (Player vs Helpless Player or Player vs Hit Points on the industrial bot).  What is needed for a fun game is for there to be fights between foes of comparable ability and some kind of benefit for the winner (other than looting the enemy's red-damaged T1 armor plate)

you assume the player who is mining/harvesting on beta has a combat standing by to fight a battle, but typically it is chreaper to lose one  industrial bot verus losing one industrial and a combat because most roaming gangs are setup to take down atleast 3 or more combats.

No I assume that the industry character is going to dock up or teleport out asap and there won't be a fight... which is why there needs to be some reason for people to be out in pvp capable bots rather than just industry bots or artefact scanners.

Put your reading glasses on and try again Ville smile

+1
-Confucius

you know, at the end, the DEVs will remove the loss of the robot because its the main reason why you dont PvP. *strong cynical remark*

@ Kaldenines:
I made a topic about the bad system of risk vs. reward balance. If the DEVs increase the reward for killing something, then the only one that benefits from it from it, is the one that already has the power to grant his win (aka more agents, blob)

if DEVs increase the reward for farming a certain type of NPC, again, the group that can farm it safely profits from it exponentially more then the group that was intended to be attraced by it. (aka observer, beta npcs, epriton, colixium)

Not a single ingame mechanic rewards you for going into combat and exploding at the end.
There are so many game elements that create so called "negative gameplay"...

@ Anni

Welcome to a sandbox?

If you want a reward for dieing in PvP my 13 year old cousin was in town last week and showed me his well-fare gear in WoW from partipating in PvP.

After not playing for 5 years i still have a better mounts with my 6 glad mounts which i got for "Winning" but then again i quit that game because they enabled well-fare gear and rewarded those for losing.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

If you have a mission that requires you to kill a singe NPC somewhere on an island, and the NPC isn't that hard to kill, travel time becomes the main limiting factor.  There is little sense in doing a mission of that type with a large group of people.

Off-course people who have secured an island to themselves are gonna be able to do this more safely but they can also safely farm a high end spawn and don't need to run around.

The idea is to create an option for a high risk - high reward style of play that would appeal to people who like to play with just one account and like casual pvp.  It does not need to be a massive cash cow, just a reason to be out on beta/gamma in a bot fit for pvp.

If it turns out that there are so many roaming gangs that doing such missions is not practical... well that would be a great success! big_smile

+1
-Confucius

Lemon, what has sandbox to do with it? nothing. really, nothing. Also you did read my post again with a narrow mind. Where did i say that you should get items for losing?

Kaldenines:
Here is a little expample of my short beta experience -

Theres was mission on Karapyth outpost that asks you to kill a single sequer, and bring back a 60U Container. The Sequer is located a few km away from the Outpost in a pit next to the "landbridge" fake-highway.  Pretty easy - in theory.

I had to take my full-tuning-fit tyrannos to kill the sequer from out of range of the grophos and ictuses down there, walk back to the outpost, get my sequer to ninja-grab the loot container that lasted about 10 seconds longer then the travel time (without interruption) and bring it back. reward was 1.5-2M if i remember correctly.

Out of my CIR friends, only Orbs and i think Khal tried to help me once to accomplish that mission. Their PvP fit mechs havent been able to kill those NPC sequer in locations where i could reach them with a lwf-sequer - and i always had to fear that STC shows up and blocks my return to the outpost.

due to the relative short distance between mission location and outpost, there was not really much standing gain from it, and then the 4/10 mission change came...

Kaldenines wrote:

No I assume that the industry character is going to dock up or teleport out asap and there won't be a fight... which is why there needs to be some reason for people to be out in pvp capable bots rather than just industry bots or artefact scanners.

Put your reading glasses on and try again Ville smile

I meant you would assume, or in other words, you would think. I got jumbled in my thoughts sad

25 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-08-08 20:03:49)

So what's you point Anni? That the devs are incapable of creating missions that are worth doing?

Edit: No idea for a mission is ever gonna work if it's made too tedious to be worth doing.

+1
-Confucius