Re: The knowledge base

Cool so its all fine and there is no lack of people producing stuff for the general market... move on, nothing to see here...

+1
-Confucius

There was a thread some time ago about filling the KB when reprocessing damaged items..

ofc, can't find it now.. ;P

Nian cat wrote:

I haven't seen anyone point it out on the forums in a while so i thought i would remind the devs that the current research system using kernels sucks.

I wouldn't go as far as "it sucks" but can we please as a start have visibility of the tree or at the very least a message which says "There is no available reasearch for these kernals yet" and then they are not consumed.

I have just swallowed 6 observer lights, 2 observer mechs and 4 observer heavy mechs and received NO RESULTS! I'm quite a long way down the Thelodica research tree but I still get research from Elite/Supreme kernals of all sizes. This observer no result mystery is not the first time either.

I know there is a tree - for example you won't start researching a T4 detector until you finish the T3 masker (there are other examples I could point to as well).

Please let me see it so I don't waste hard earned observer kernals.

If they didnt change it, the research dice roll neither does exclude already finished research, nor does it re-roll if it hit something that is already finished.

ontop of that, there is the dice roll chance for "nothing".

combine those two and you see why research next to maxed out needs so many kernels. especially when you use kernels that contain a high number of possible results!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

55 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2012-09-01 11:08:26)

DEV Zoom wrote:

...we made the mistake of balancing this flawed system to be slower instead of fixing the root issue. So yes, we have some ideas and we intend to change this.

A points system could work well for research, in the way it works well for industry, because it could remove the mystery from the process and introduce a common "currency" for research. I am also a fan of more extensions because it means that players have to choose to invest EP and thereby creates distinct professions.

• Create research extensions for parts of the tree (Armour/Shield, Engineering, Electronics, Industry, Weapons, NEXUS, MPC) where each extension reduces the number of points required to complete a node on the tree.

• Attribute a points value to each type of kernal

• Display full tree in Agent profile (including items where research has not begun) and provide additional information:

• Points required to complete item

• Research pre-requisites

• Kernal types which will add points

• Stop "roll of dice" landing on completed items which could be balanced by increasing points on higher tier items

Kernals of all sizes can still overlap items, as they do now, the process would still be to some extent random and the speed of research roughly the same but at least we'd know what was going on AND we'd know how many kernals we needed. Also would avoid fundementally changing the system which would generate a lake full of tears.

A gamma research facility would also be nice. One where people could share their fully researched items, whether in corp or not. It would work exactly the same as a prototype facility points wise but the number of researched items that could be installed and the number of "runs" possible from each installed item would be determined by the tech level of the facility.

i had quite a few ideas about that as well and i have to admit that more extentions was also one of them. i would not gave gone so far as extentions for every item category. more like one skill for every faction. nuimqol, thelodica, pelistal, industrial thrust.

but the one problem with more extentions is that prototyping already is ep heavy. one way would be to seperate reserach from protyping. how ever that should look like.

imho there are already enough extension present...

it would be sufficent enough to have synergies between what you are able to use, and what you can build.

we already have faction robot control, and a seperate extension for almost any torso slot module availiable (different weapon, mining, harvesting, support).

also - i dont see why "knowledge" is only gained by loot. sure, there was something with "the combat guys need something to offer the industrialy guys to have circle of dependencies"... but as in most aspects, there are zero alternatives.

Zoom wrote they have ideas... but it seems they are still not solid enough to let us even discuss them...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear