Re: Block trials from beta/gamma

... It was CHAOS doing it all along... fuuu

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

So, all we have to do is ask for a thread to be locked?

Topics have been always closed if the topic starter asks for it.

I know, I was just seeing if you'd close this one even if I wasn't the OP ; )

this reminds me of my endless Kain supply at Karapyth!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I just looked at the kill board... I giggled.

The Topic is rediculas cannonFodder.    lmfao

Alexadar wrote:

lol the topic is so lol
Ok
Lets imagine trials would be restricted on beta+
I will tell my guys to make secondary neutral character, and you will have exactly same "problem" but in different shell
lol

Look at my post, my post is amazing

How about to limit Arkhes to alpha only? Want to go beta - get a light bot at least. They are pretty cheap to build or buy but provide killpoints at least. Syndicate technologies for Syndicate-protected areas.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Why?  They would just cry about them with autocannons on them too.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Why?  They would just cry about them with autocannons on them too.

After arches would be restricted, they will whine about shielded castel zerg, then t1 artemis zerg, then t1 vagabond zerg, then just any zerg. lol

Sorry, is this another of those "You have no eHonor! You must bring so and so bots to attack!" thread?

The whole problem isn't with killing probes repeately. Problem is - to do it with arkhes and a an additional reason - with trial accounts.

While the whole idea tactically is good, it doesn't seem to be intended - arkhes are cheap, unlimited with using multiple trial accounts, and they give no killpoints. With all that they can destroy probes that are cost much more and need more effort to use them actually - OP ownership and stuff. We may need here some DEVs clearance if this is an exploit or not, but anyway, values are too different to be balanced.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

BandwagonX9000 wrote:

Sorry, is this another of those "You have no eHonor! You must bring so and so bots to attack!" thread?

Yes, sir. This is one of those threads.

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

Line wrote:

The whole problem isn't with killing probes repeately. Problem is - to do it with arkhes and a an additional reason - with trial accounts.

While the whole idea tactically is good, it doesn't seem to be intended - arkhes are cheap, unlimited with using multiple trial accounts, and they give no killpoints. With all that they can destroy probes that are cost much more and need more effort to use them actually - OP ownership and stuff. We may need here some DEVs clearance if this is an exploit or not, but anyway, values are too different to be balanced.

Line, your point is well taken but this simply isn't an exploit, it's pvp.

Reap/Sow point #1, M2S and others petitioned to get the radius of building walls reducded to 3km, I argued against that change for this very reason. Walled probes can't be killed by arkhes or even light bots.

Play point #2, Players don't 'own' Islands, by that I mean, they don't automatically have control of teleporters just because they have control of an outpost. They need to defend it.

Play point #3, putting a gate guard on a teleporter instead of a probe, it can even be a trial account(!!!), easily counters an arkhe blowing up probes.

So, its a real looong streach to say that sending arkhe's over to blow up undefended probes is an exploit. Shortly after launch, Arhkes were nerfed because they could actually compete against light and assault bots; and could probably take down a mech. That was over-powered, but probes are not players, and they are fragile on purpose, which means they are vulnerable and need to be protected.

On a risk-reward pvp level, the arkhe has little value, but its also easy to kill. Yes it takes time to do it, but there IS another player on the other side of that arhke that is taking their time too. Just because it doesn't 'feel' worthwhile to the mech player to blow up an arkhe, doesn't make it an exploit. The mech is also in no 'danger' of losing their bot from the arkhe, but it could also be a trap to get them to flag, but THAT is just another pvp tactic NOT an exploit.

An exploit is using something for other than it's intended purpose, like recycling main terminals for norgalis.

Using a bot, even the service bot, for PVP simply can't be considered an exploit.

Arga wrote:

Using a bot, even the service bot, for PVP simply can't be considered an exploit.

I do have to agree with the above statement.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

67 (edited by Kokomut 2012-06-13 18:44:30)

I wouldn't call it an exploit either but on point #3, all the Arhke have to do is get close to the probe which is only a few seconds, anyone killing the arkhy would destroy the probe as well due to explosion. Maybe increase hp on the probe somewhat so defenders at least have a chance to respond.

that's a valid point Koko, but that's really a result of the probe being directly on the TP, if the probes were 200m off, and there was defense on the gate, the arkhe's protection would drop when it moved, or run out waiting, then it can be one-shot, demobbed, or whatever before getting to the probe.

In general though, more HP or better masking were both suggestions I made before. I could probably find the post where I said that probes are now worthless with the 3k change, but I think the results make the arguement better.

Changing probes though, is a better response then trying to change trial or arkhe's.

69 (edited by Gremrod 2012-06-13 18:54:11)

Arga wrote:

Changing probes though, is a better response then trying to change trial or arkhe's.

Changing probes would be the direction to go. I do remember the stealth assaults got reverted because people were saying such cheap bots shouldn't be able cause so much destruction. (Correct, me if I am wrong on this)

I think this falls into the same category.

70 (edited by Sundial 2012-06-13 19:14:04)

I think the 3k wall change was for the best (This amount of power should be reserved for gamma islands as it is now). However probe balance was not changed around this which probably should have happened a long time ago. It needs to be done carefully though.

I completely agree with Arga and Grem on this one.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Yes, probes is the problem, some balance/change would be good, arkhes will still be arkhes.

RIP PERPETUUM

aye, agree on finding a good balance for probe change

Active defender should be given a reasonable amount of time to react against threats. Right now, specially with the easily available interzone tps, if you don't have someone on the tp when an arkhy jump in the probe is dead as it only takes around 5-10 seconds. Not enough time even for someone on a connected tp to jump it to defend.

Sundial wrote:

I think the 3k wall change was for the best (This amount of power should be reserved for gamma islands as it is now). However probe balance was not changed around this which probably should have happened a long time ago. It needs to be done carefully though.

Yes I agree. I was one for the change to walls. I think you are correct that probes needed to be looked at during that change, but they were not.

74 (edited by Arga 2012-06-13 20:02:19)

If somone is going to spend 1.5m to blow up a 1m probe, that's doesn't sound too imba.

I guess it boils down to how effective probes should be in general, if it's even worth deploying them outside the 3k ring.

Maybe, probes simply aren't meant to be gate scouts, which would be a shame because being able to free up a player to do something other then mind-numbing gate duty was the best part of probes.

edit: Also, with gamma the concept of really expensive deployable structures comes into play. On beta, there really isn't anything to guard, so putting out probes is more just something I think we've gotten used to doing because for the most part no one really made any effort to kill them. After corps start getting gamma structures, losing 1m nic probe won't be that bad in the spectum, it'll be more losing 'eyes' on that gate.

wait i think we all remember when you had to guard your external TP's there is now only 1 to alpha and 1 to another beta.

interzones let them hit anything random, but a probe is simply a early warning no one said it had to be a multi-use warning and when arkhe's were used as that early warning people plated them for multi use.

You want multi use plate a arkhe for the gate. a probe is sufficient as is for autonomous notification and monitory at 1 million nic it is disposable and easily renewed.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle