Topic: Primary Target markers change colors depending on LoS.

I think that currently much of the annoyance with LoS is in the fact that it appears you hit the ground at random.

Sometimes your target is in clear sight but your bot apparently still decides to shoot the hill 20 meters to the left.
Sometimes your target is just behind a hill but your bot can apparently suddenly shoot through small parts of ground and still hit the target.

In short the whole system appears kind of random as long as there's not an entire building between you and your target.

I suggest that the green Primary Target markers that appear around your target change color based on LoS to make it clear when your target can be fired at and when you'll miss. This will hopefully enable players to get a better feel of the system and judge when their target will be hit and when it will be blocked.

In short when your target is in both Turret and Missile LoS the Primary Target marker should stay green as it is now: [X]

When your target is no longer in Turret LoS but still in Missile LoS the Primary Target marker should turn cyan: [X]

When your target is neither in Turret LoS or Missile LoS then the Primary Target marker should turn blue: [X]

I don't think there's any situations where Turrets do have LoS but Missiles don't so there doesn't have to be a color for that. If I'm mistaken a new color, such as purple, could easily be chosen to represent this.

I believe this will remove much of the frustration that currently exists around the LoS system and it's seemingly random nature. The calculations for the marker's color could be done client-side ( using the same calculation of course ) and only be done server-side when the actual shot is fired, this to not put additional stress on the server to calculate the target markers for a thousand players every frame.

*Insert really awesome sig here*

2 (edited by Alexander 2010-12-01 18:39:33)

Re: Primary Target markers change colors depending on LoS.

This is possible but would mean the LOS code would be in two places at once. I'm not sure the client even views terrain the same way the server does so this could be a large addition rather than a simple fix.

It's a nice idea but it does make the game a little simple in my opinion. LOS is going to be pain for a very long time. An indicator client side won't always be right either. Client/Server will be out of sync a little. If you had the server running these LOS calculations constantly it would effect the servers performance. For instance the time in the corner isn't sync with the server it's simple your local time plus or minus a few hours.

The Game

3 (edited by Gobla 2010-12-01 16:25:24)

How exactly would LoS calculations be based on your internal clock?

I know the rnd() function is based on your internal clock but I thought that the LoS function appeared to act randomly. I wasn't aware it actually was random.

Collision date and height should be available client-side. By pressing 'L' you show collision areas so obviously that date is present client-side and it would be impossible to draw the terrain without knowing the height.

The exact format could be different and in this case it would need to be converted which could take some work but all in all I don't see how it would be a large addition.

In addition to that I'd rather have an indicator that was sometimes out of sync then no indicator at all. Even with an out of sync indicator you eventually develop a better feel for the system and when it does hit and when it doesn't. Without an indicator this would be much harder.

I agree with the general idea you're giving off here... to clarify what *I hope* your point is-- we need an indicator that says "hey we can see the enemy clearly" without having to 100% zoom in on our bot and look at the enemy and judge if he's clearly visible and not standing behind or near a 1foot anthill that's going to make me  miss 50% of the time with my lasers.

This indicator should not be a green 'you'll hit with both' or a cyan 'you'll only hit with missiles' but rather a green 'you have the opportunity to hit with both' and cyan 'opportunity to hit with missiles'. 

To support the idea you throw in a very small amount of RP and say that:
"Given I'm a pilot of an advanced tech robot on another planet, my character should be competent enough to realize when he/she can or cannot see the enemy... which then leads to the idea of 'I really shouldn't shoot right now because I can't see the enemy' at times where the enemy ducks behind cover or has a majority of themselves covered by a hill."

To clear things up. LOS is not based on your internal click, I was using it as an example. Where the server and the client run their own code. The "Server" time you see is not the real server time. That I would like to see resolved.

The Game

This would be very suseptible to lag, though.  If your client said "yes it can hit", you fired, then when the data got to the server it sees that it cant hit because you both moved, then you will be pissed that you thought you could hit but you didnt.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Alexander wrote:

It's a nice idea but it does make the game a little simple in my opinion.

^^ this ^^

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Lets just have auto-fire on in-range, locked, and LOS.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

TysonRH wrote:

I agree with the general idea you're giving off here... to clarify what *I hope* your point is-- we need an indicator that says "hey we can see the enemy clearly" without having to 100% zoom in on our bot and look at the enemy and judge if he's clearly visible and not standing behind or near a 1foot anthill that's going to make me  miss 50% of the time with my lasers.

This indicator should not be a green 'you'll hit with both' or a cyan 'you'll only hit with missiles' but rather a green 'you have the opportunity to hit with both' and cyan 'opportunity to hit with missiles'. 

"Given I'm a pilot of an advanced tech robot on another planet, my character should be competent enough to realize when he/she can or cannot see the enemy... which then leads to the idea of 'I really shouldn't shoot right now because I can't see the enemy' at times where the enemy ducks behind cover or has a majority of themselves covered by a hill."

That's exactly what I mean.

A visual indicator saying: If you shoot right now you're going to miss because you don't have LoS. Or: If you shoot right now you may hit because you do have LoS.

If you don't manage your movement and attacks around it you'll fire wasted shots. It won't stop your auto-attack. It will merely change colour and nothing more. If you decide to ignore it then things will be as they are now.

But if you're smart you'll press space bar when they turn cyan to temporarily cancel your attack and then push it again when the marker goes green again.

As to the lag comments, what does it change really? If I zoom in 100% to nearly 1st person view and use that to manage my attacks I'll still have the exact same problems when lag hits of it looking like I can hit but still missing because we both moved by the time the package hits the server.

Hell, the exact same thing can happen when looking at the distances on your landmarks. If you have lag then they won't be right. Does that mean we should remove the distances and replace them with: "Very Near" "Near" "Kinda Near" "Kinda Far" "Far" and "Very Far"?

If you have lag then information on your screen will be incorrect, regardless of this change. You'll still lose your locks when working near max lock range, you'll still miss even though everything looked like it would hit, you'll still die even though it looked like you had just enough armor left etc.

All this change would do is make it clear when exactly you're on one of those "Turrets don't work here" slopes without wasting tons of ammo while moving around to find that single spot that does work.

All it does is add a visual indicator for the LoS mechanic. Just like we have a visual indicator for the range mechanic ( the distance on your landmark screen ), a visual indicator for having something locked and a visual indicator for being locked. I don't think they make the game easy or even easier. They just make the game sensible and a lot less frustrating.

Your visual indicator is when shots hit the hill and not the bot. tongue I rarely go through more then one volley before I correct my angle, it shouldn't take you more then 3-4 seconds to adjust at most. 

Its a nice idea, but I don't think its worth the server lag.  thats a lot of extra traffic, always calculating LOS at all times compared to only when you fire. 

Don't stress so much about hitting hills. Its ok.  Its going to happen.  When you get used to the system its really easy to adjust quickly.  Adjusting to LOS is second nature to me now, I can even tell before I fire if I have LOS just by looking. Maybe change your camera angle? It can be tricky if your doing a top down view, but if you look over your bots shoulder its really easy to see.

TysonRH wrote:

Or you the player could look to see if your shots clear maybe? Just saying... its not hard.

Hadouken wrote:
TysonRH wrote:

Or you the player could look to see if your shots clear maybe? Just saying... its not hard.

Yea I do that quite frequently... and hit a 2.5inch tall pile of dirt in front of the other mech that looks like it would cover no more than his foot from the camera angle I play at when I'm in combat (sorry I don't have a magnifying glass handy when I play).

I'm not the one asking for the fix... I'm just trying to clarify his point because I wouldn't mind either.  It doesn't take me more than 3-4seconds to adjust..blahblah.. v v weak troll attempt.

TysonRH wrote:

Yea I do that quite frequently... and hit a 2.5inch tall pile of dirt in front of the other mech that looks like it would cover no more than his foot from the camera angle I play at when I'm in combat (sorry I don't have a magnifying glass handy when I play).

I'm not the one asking for the fix... I'm just trying to clarify his point because I wouldn't mind either.  It doesn't take me more than 3-4seconds to adjust..blahblah.. v v weak troll attempt.

This is basically why I suggested it.

There's a handful of situations where there currently just aren't enough visual clues to whether or not you'll hit. If you're in one of these you can of course just try and see. So you miss and you move around a bit, but often the terrain in which these situations happen isn't confined to a few square meters. It's a larger area, so once again you're in the situation where there aren't enough clues as to whether or not you'll hit.

It's not about missing your shots. It's about it being clear why your shots missed. Sometimes when you see 95% of a robot it's still not enough and you miss. Yet sometimes when you see less then 75% of it you still hit.

It's like using module when you have 100 Accumulator and getting the error that you don't have enough yet when next time it cycles and you have just 50 Accumulator left it goes off just fine. It's frustrating not because the module doesn't go off, but because you're just not sure when it will and when it won't go off.

Gobla wrote:

...snip!
Sometimes when you see 95% of a robot it's still not enough and you miss. Yet sometimes when you see less then 75% of it you still hit.
...snip!

The “look over the shoulder” trick works well with very obvious obstacles. The type that you would be able to notice fully zoomed out with a slightly oblique perspective, once you’ve a bit of experience.

I also noticed that sometimes I’d hit a molehill in front on the target, and at other times I’d successfully hit a robot in partial cover.

I want an autopilot so I can chat while I travel. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -a-review/ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

JeanMi Requile wrote:
Gobla wrote:

...snip!
Sometimes when you see 95% of a robot it's still not enough and you miss. Yet sometimes when you see less then 75% of it you still hit.
...snip!

The “look over the shoulder” trick works well with very obvious obstacles. The type that you would be able to notice fully zoomed out with a slightly oblique perspective, once you’ve a bit of experience.

I also noticed that sometimes I’d hit a molehill in front on the target, and at other times I’d successfully hit a robot in partial cover.

Well there is a slight desync between your clients and the server probably.

wow, necroposting big_smile

there are two kinds of "flat" terrain.
1. a flat horizontal aligned area, and the other is
2. a "flat" side of a hill.

a little bump on 1. is a small obstacle in most situations
a little bump on 2. is a huge obstacle at close to medium ranges. The "over the shoulder" trick doesnt work on 2.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

A lot of the time I have a second character in tow and it will look like they just ran through a plant. So there is certainly a difference between where the client shows a character and where it really is.

Maybe once you enter combat the server updates position more often and more precisely, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that the hit-or-miss on the obstacles was due to desync as Shadey said.

If this is the case, and they can't 'fix' the lag, then there should be some kind of LOS indicator or players with better internet will have an advantage.

I'd love to see more data sent during combat and less outside of combat. It's annoying to be following someone and they suddenly walk through a wall or a plant instead of going around it. I've run two client on the same screen the the position difference is about 30m's which is a lot when some weapons optimal range are less than 100m.

The Game

19 (edited by JeanMi Requile 2011-04-13 08:07:22)

They seriously need to work out their line of sight system. It doesn't really involve skill at the moment it mostly involves luck. I'm not talking about that hill that's in between you and the enemy, yes you're sure to hit that, but sometimes you have a clear shot but you plow the ground. Clearly the given the inefficiency of the current system Pelilstal is the way to go.
Unless you like to play turrets online. Once you find a spot where you have a clear shot (after having wasting three quarters of your dps on grass), you stand there immobile, and it turns into a battle of who has the best tank.

Edit: Spelling; Tourettes online and others.

I want an autopilot so I can chat while I travel. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -a-review/ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

JeanMi Requile wrote:

Unless you like to play turrent online.

I read that and thought :

Tourettes online.

F' that game.

Arga wrote:
JeanMi Requile wrote:

Unless you like to play turrent online.

I read that and thought :

Tourettes online.

F' that game.

I'll edit for spelling.

... not funny? too obscure or just in poor taste? I chuckled when I typed it.