Topic: New devblog: New year, new toys

Proximity probes, interzone teleports, plasma bombs, persistent walls... we have quite a few new toys in store for you in January!

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … -new-toys/

Re: New devblog: New year, new toys

Zoom this is good stuff!  Are the idea for the probes/teleports/bombs/walls will they be a NIC sink or will they able to be built?  I envision they would be seeds at some market but I would be interested to know if they can be built by the players... more kernal research ...

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

For now they will all be seeded for NIC on the market.

This all sounds like very cool stuff, great.

5 (edited by Syrissa 2012-01-09 18:56:35)

well i think walls like all PBS should be buildable...

but in general very good to see you finaly starting to add sand to the box big_smile

this is indee the first step into the right direction. hope the PBS department will go further ahead in the next months.

p.s.: we need "siege walls" they have a ramp at the back and you can walk up at the back side. on the front side you will have some part with cover and some without cover... smile
castel wars... big_smile

p.s.s.:
oh and before i forget it: if you have walls then you also need gates...

6 (edited by Mark Zima 2012-01-09 19:06:34)

DEV Zoom wrote:

All the new stuff suddenly lost its appeal. fuuu It's player bought structures, not player built.

7 (edited by Alexander 2012-01-09 19:16:27)

Mark Zima wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

All the new stuff suddenly lost its appeal. fuuu It's player bought structures, not player built.

Oh shush. Seed them for NIC now and when the full PBS system comes into play THEN allow them to be built as well as seeded. (Seed price for a quick deployment while building them should supply very small amount for damage repair). I agree that later ALL deployable items should be constructable. Everything..

The only issue I have is the large amount of silence and then information overload. So I am left thinking we won't hear any more information officially until patch day now.

Questions:

• Can walls be targeted?

• Can only certain roles deploy probes?

• Can you explain the 'range' of long range mobile teleporters?

• How will "Assigning" probes work?

• Any plants to make it so you MUST have an outpost on the island to be able to have probes there? Losing all outposts on an island would remove all probes etc..

Alexander wrote:
Mark Zima wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Oh shush. Seed them for NIC now and when the full PBS system comes into play THEN allow them to be built as well as seeded. (Seed price for a quick deployment while building them should supply very small amount for damage repair). I agree that later ALL deployable items should be constructable. Everything..

The only issue I have is the large amount of silence and then information overload. So I am left thinking we won't hear any more information officially until patch day now.

Questions:

• Can walls be targeted?

• Can only certain roles deploy probes?

• Can you explain the 'range' of long range mobile teleporters?

• How will "Assigning" probes work?

• Any plants to make it so you MUST have an outpost on the island to be able to have probes there? Losing all outposts on an island would remove all probes etc..

Seems so
Again, a new toy needs a fitting counter-toy too. Although you can tear down walls with your guns as well, it won’t be very efficient due to their relatively high hitpoints. So we thought it’s high time we brought in some WMDs.

These new TP's provide that abilty to launch your robot into beta from somewhere other than the fixed alpha exit points. This is very interesting logistically, if they can be deployed just off an alpha II outpost, this will make moving things like Titan Ore with the scarab much better.

First, it removes the basically 'dull' trudge from Alpha outpost to the Beta TP, with an associated NIC cost.
Second, it requires monitoring on the beta side of the TP's now. Just having a scout on alpha won't work since bots no longer have to go through there.

However, on the flipside, it doesn't remove any of the risk of moving on beta once you get there. Of course, price is going to play a big role in how these are used, but for any large engagement, I'm sure it will be worth it just to save the 10-15min trudge from outpost to TP!

Can walls be targeted?

No, the same rules apply as for plants. I'm being told that locking tiles has some technical issues currently, but we might come up with something in the future.

Can only certain roles deploy probes?
How will "Assigning" probes work?

Probes can be deployed by anyone in the corporation, and this puts the deployer on the list of users at the same time. This makes him able to assign other users for that probe too. CEOs and Deputy CEOs can see and modify the user list of any probe of the corporation from anywhere in the world. User assignment works simply by adding members from your corporation roster to the probe's user list via the probe's settings window (available from the world map or terrain right-click menus).

Can you explain the 'range' of long range mobile teleporters?

Range means range in the world, ie. on the world map. Though you may think that islands are just placed there semi-randomly for the GUI's sake, the distances between islands are actual distances. We will provide some tools for this so you know what you can reach from where you're standing.

Any plants to make it so you MUST have an outpost on the island to be able to have probes there? Losing all outposts on an island would remove all probes etc..

I'm not aware of such plans currently.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Can only certain roles deploy probes?
How will "Assigning" probes work?

Probes can be deployed by anyone in the corporation, and this puts the deployer on the list of users at the same time. This makes him able to assign other users for that probe too. CEOs and Deputy CEOs can see and modify the user list of any probe of the corporation from anywhere in the world. User assignment works simply by adding members from your corporation roster to the probe's user list via the probe's settings window (available from the world map or terrain right-click menus).

Could we also see a tab in territory in the corporate window perhaps as well as the map interface?
Could you also perhaps use a grouping system? To group probes together and assign a user once to assign them to all select probes rather than one at a time. E.g. User names a user define group (We'll use "Teleporter" as an example)

And then assigns people to that group. The size of the group depends on the stability of the outpost. One person per 10% stability.

Very nice!  It seems the Devs were hard at work during the holidays.

Lonwolf
NSE
"What we do in life, echoes into eternity!" --Gladiator

And the features come in two by two, hurrah.. hurrah..

i wonder how you will define range.

in the current world, range can only defined by "teleport hops", which is with the current map layout max 6 hops
eg, tellesis +1  <+1> attallica +1  <+1> NV +1  <+1> norhoop +1
for any place on tellesis to an inner tele on norhoop.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I haven't played in quite a long time, even though my accounts are still subbed for EP. But hearing about these new features is starting to make me think about PO again. Once a solid foundation of PBS' are put in the game, I'm sure I'll be logging in again and I won't be the only one coming back to PO either.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Alexander wrote:

This was mainly due to the holidays - two of us also moved during the last week of december, so we had our hands full.

DEV BoyC wrote:
Alexander wrote:

This was mainly due to the holidays - two of us also moved during the last week of december, so we had our hands full.

+1 moving sucks *** during the holiday

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Annihilator wrote:

i wonder how you will define range.

in the current world, range can only defined by "teleport hops", which is with the current map layout max 6 hops
eg, tellesis +1  <+1> attallica +1  <+1> NV +1  <+1> norhoop +1
for any place on tellesis to an inner tele on norhoop.

A whopping 4 posts above:

Can you explain the 'range' of long range mobile teleporters?

Dev Zoom wrote:

Range means range in the world, ie. on the world map. Though you may think that islands are just placed there semi-randomly for the GUI's sake, the distances between islands are actual distances. We will provide some tools for this so you know what you can reach from where you're standing.

As this is a sandbox I feel that everything should be player built and not Dev seeded to the market place.  Building stuff is fun smile  Maybe you can quickly move from Dev seeded to player built.

There needs to be NIC sinks in the game. Having everything player built, Teleporters for instance, means that NIC sink would go away. The collary to this is vetern beta corps, now with access to level 4 facilities, can build TP's very very efficiently.

So if an item would normally be 10M NIC sink, now it maybe costs a beta corp about 2M in mats to build, and 100k or so in NIC fees. And depending on what the item is, it gives them a huge advantage.

Take the bombs as an example, Zoom says in the blog comments that it wouldn't be cost effective to hunt NPC's with them. However, if these bombs were player built, a vet producer using level 4 facilities may be able to produce them cheap enough to farm with.

I'm not making a black and white statement about any particular item; simply that the game needs NIC sinks and that some items are hard to balance when player produced.

repost from this thread:  http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … dev-blogs/

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Hate to say it, but none of the proposed items excite me in the least.

Walls - Long ago in a galaxy far away, we were promised terraforming.  We still do not have that, and tbh, I'd rather see the devs deliver on that promise than "walls".  Instead of NIC, time and effort would have to be expended, EP spent on skills to perform that effort, and countermeasures to it could be an enemy coming and undoing the terraforming work performed with their own terraformers ( think sappers back in history used against static defensive positions such as walls and castles )

Bombs - We already have people advocating massive damage and short timers, so guess what they are thinking, lol.  Nothing to do with walls, more to do with small hit and run gangs using derp tactics to thin the opposition or persuit.  Again, long ago in a galaxy far away, we were promised ARTILLERY that would do area effect damage.  An artillery mech can be countered, shot, jammed, whatever, and the mech and skills involved would require multiple EP expenditure points that would require some form of specialization.  Instead of coming up with this "new" item, lets see follow thru on the originally proposed addition that the devs committed to last summer.
Based on the dev blog, seems their "intent" is as a counter to the walls, corp A builds walls, corp B blows holes in it.  See "walls" above for the alternate way to do that. 

Inter Island Mobile Tele -  Well, damn, lets give an even more "easy" button.  There is no where on Nia we can't get to in more than 20 mins with the right bots, and multiple entry points exist for each island.  Current practice is arhke scouts on tele.  So now we add a limited range inter island tele, and this does what? Dumps you right at a static tele on and island, and viola!, arhke scout goes peek-a-boo I see you.  So nothing really changes. 

Proximity Probes - Frankly, the only item I see as new innovation here that could potentially radically change pvp game play.  It makes roaming gangs a little easier to track, adds a challenge for the roamers to evade them or destroy them. The major downside here is just the same as the benefits, potentially makes roaming gangs TOO easy to track, and too hard for roamers to evade persuit, even masked.  Currently, we have detectors and sparks to boost that capablity, as well a potential auras at outposts, but even with that a masked gang can negate most of that detection benefit.  Destroy someones probe, you immediately send a signal that there are hostiles on the island, place probes in extremely inaccessable points for most bots, and you have no way to counter it.  It's a defenders wet dream, and an attackers worst nightmare, but it would significantly reshape how beta pvp would be performed.

As stated above, the DEVs should deliver on the blog promises this past summer, artillery, terraforming, destroyer mechs, before going down this road at this time.  Most of the new blog proposals would have been addressed if we already had artillery and terraforming.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Lupus are you DEV? wink

All good keep it hard work on POS and terraforming.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Looks good so far!

Just keep making progress!!!!!!!

Inappropriate signature.

Joph wrote:

As this is a sandbox I feel that everything should be player built and not Dev seeded to the market place.  Building stuff is fun smile  Maybe you can quickly move from Dev seeded to player built.

I can totaly see things ending up there, but thinking of things from a Dev point of view it makes a lot more sense to start with them seeded. That way if they need to change the way they work or rebalance them they can simply stop seeding the old ones and start seeding new ones.

If players have gone out and farmed kernels etc and are producing them, then patching becomes a much bigger problem as well as the negative side effects of removing toys that people have gone out of their way to learn to make and then possibly not replacing them with something they like (or anything at all).

Once things are stable and working I can imagine them adding specific kernels or ways to learn to produce them. Look at the number of iterations Intrusion has gone through for example...

Any news about the bombs and walls?
i know, the server got attacked by evil DDoS and probes had some major balancing issues -
two weeks are gone and we would like to know what you planning now.

Do you think Walls and Bombs need a revamp or Q&A session before implementation, or do you still need time to work on the mechanics?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear