Topic: Perpetuum - Now Available on Steam!! (not)

http://store.steampowered.com/

Now, imagine if this was true.

Please, Devs, consider calling Steam and making a deal with them.  Steam has made small independant game authors in to well known names.  Terraria would be a good example of this, I would say.

Imagine if 1% of 1% of 1% of 1% of the Steam members tried PO?

I absolutely love this game.  I dont know what we have to do to convince you guys (Devs) to make a marketing move.

Steam is the obvious choice, in my opinion.

Turn over a new leaf for 2012!

Thanks -

Re: Perpetuum - Now Available on Steam!! (not)

Totally got me on this one.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Would be awesome.

FYI I created a Perpetuum Steam group way back during Closed Beta. Join it....

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Teh Troll is strong in this one!

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

5 (edited by Natas 2011-12-25 18:20:36)

Edit: Wrong char

So many, including myself, have tried, going as far as begging to the DEV's to put some ads/ promotion/ marketing up on steam or elsewhere, without avail. Not even getting as much as a feedback and beeing completly ignored by the DEV's. We rather watch an excellent approach of a game diminish into nothing. Left with a playerbase < ~ 50 real people still playing this "MMO", with their multiple accounts. Continously decreasing.

Many of us players have put much work on promoting this game with the means at our hand. Posting on all kinds of game Communities, even going as far as printing posters to put up in our local gamestore. Doing totaly the DEV job.
To be quite honest. Playing the game for a year now, I have sadly starting to loose faith, that the DEV are either giving some wortwhile feedback or manage to pull something of, to keep this game running. As sad as I am, seeing a good game diminish to zero.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

7 (edited by Shaedys 2011-12-25 19:28:31)

Do you think if it was that simple to get this game on steam they wouldn't have done it already?
Steam submission form: http://steampowered.com/steamworks/title-submission.php
General website for publishing your game on steam: http://steampowered.com/steamworks/index.php

We have tried many times to contact them, without any response.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Hmm, sorry to hear that.  Thanks for trying, at least.

10 (edited by Gremrod 2011-12-26 04:18:33)

\o/

DEV Zoom wrote:

That Sucks sad You would hope that they took all developer enquiries seriously sad

I do however think this would be a massive benifit to the game

Shaedys wrote:

Do you think if it was that simple to get this game on steam they wouldn't have done it already?
Steam submission form: http://steampowered.com/steamworks/title-submission.php
General website for publishing your game on steam: http://steampowered.com/steamworks/index.php

I think we should all submit one and see if they take notice! Hah.. But that might slow down the processes.

well their CEO's email is gaben@valvesoftware.com. I suggest we all ask him nicely to allow the game on steam.

Tonnik wrote:

well their CEO's email is gaben@valvesoftware.com. I suggest we all ask him nicely to allow the game on steam.

people power ftw!

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Maybe someone should post on the steam forums, its a long shot but hell maybe it'l get their attention.  I just tried but its saying that my account is in a 'moderation queue' (i *** hate steam, i remember the days when it used to be much worse though).

+1
-Confucius

16 (edited by Gunner 2011-12-26 09:33:29)

Tonnik wrote:

I will send him an e-mail.  I dont think it could hurt.

I encourage others to do so as well, I guess.  What else can we do? I have five accounts and I have told everyone I know about the game.

Gunner

*E-mail Sent*

Spent 20 Euros on games off of Steam last night.... The steam server was so bogged down i was getting a message saying my games can't be downloaded as the server is to busy.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

DEV Zoom wrote:

Ive sent gabe an email too directing him to this post.

Though I have to say that I am somewhat dubious.  How is it that a dev studio that is so incredibly tiny, like for terraria, can easily get into steam, or at least communicate with them, and yet Avatar Creations can not?

seems to me that if the success of this game is dependent on it getting onto a digital distribution network like steam, then I imagine taking a plane to Valve head quarters and banging on their doors until someone says something would be better than repeatably sending emails.

Snowman wrote:

Though I have to say that I am somewhat dubious.  How is it that a dev studio that is so incredibly tiny, like for terraria, can easily get into steam, or at least communicate with them, and yet Avatar Creations can not?

This is just a wild personal speculation, but what's in it for Valve to add a game with their own 3rd party payment system to Steam? I mean the client is free to download, and the rest goes through our own store. (I don't know if they even have support for subscription-based stuff.)

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

20 (edited by Alexander 2012-01-04 14:33:36)

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Snowman wrote:

This is just a wild personal speculation, but what's in it for Valve to add a game with their own 3rd party payment system to Steam? I mean the client is free to download, and the rest goes through our own store. (I don't know if they even have support for subscription-based stuff.)

Steam offer a few MMOs now. Most of them are F2P and Value takes a portion of all items bought when the application is being run through Steam.

My guess is they'd either charge a small portion of every subscription or require an initial fee (Like they do with EVE). Neither of these methods sound good for Perpetuum.

It's your own fault, Gargaj, for having such a good team and doing it all yourself. No one can rip you off by charging you money to supply the services you can't give.. Because you already do everything.

What you need is marketing and that's expensive but if you were to find a way that Perpetuum could work through Steam it would certainly increase the number of new players.

However I have it on good authority that some very nice person in the community is running Perpetuum advertising through Google Ads. You should find them and thank them for their work.

Robot MMORPG still brings back Perpetuum as the top search result.. For me anyway.

21 (edited by Snowman 2012-01-04 14:57:43)

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Snowman wrote:

Its a deep subject but in the end its comes down to the magical term from which all advertising principles are based... 'Market Awareness'  which for a DDN like steam is ultimately mutually beneficial.

As for your part in brackets...  why not purchase a copy of Eve online through steam.. or any other mmo for that matter wink

[edit] OK, i''ll elaborate more ;

When you purchase an mmo from steam they give you a code, from that code you will make your account and setup your subscription directly as you would normally do.

But since the players would first log into steam in order to play a steam game, then those customers are instantly in what can only be described as the biggest game store on earth.

So while they may not get much in the way of currency from selling one copy of your game, they will defiantly make a ton of money from all the other games that they tempt you to buy.

in reality though I would be concerned for you guys if you did get on steam.  You could barley handle the tiny influx of Eve's player base which is a game of only a few hundred thousand accounts, put yourself infront of the several millions of Steam customers and you will melt down, instantly.

Snowman wrote:

in reality though I would be concerned for you guys if you did get on steam.  You could barley handle the tiny influx of Eve's player base which is a game of only a few hundred thousand accounts, put yourself infront of the several millions of Steam customers and you will melt down, instantly.

If you recall. The reason they could not handle the influx, was because of a change that was done a couple patches before the influx. Once they fixed it they handled that amount of players with no problem.

So, in reality I would not be concerned since it has been fixed.

Gremrod wrote:
Snowman wrote:

If you recall. The reason they could not handle the influx, was because of a change that was done a couple patches before the influx. Once they fixed it they handled that amount of players with no problem.

So, in reality I would not be concerned since it has been fixed.

Famous last words? lol

in reality i would be concerned how the new player influx would handle the overcrowded starting area then, not knowing about the core game mechanics regarding deleting agents, switching profession/faction, etc.

i would expect about 50% ragequit after running into the first overcamped arkhe spawn for the beginner mission,
another 30% quitting after realising that they *** up due to creating one agent per faction "just to test all, not knowing that EP is shared on same account and deleting agents wont give them back...

and a good part will just leave the game alone after losing their first light bot and have to grind their way back to it with an arkhe and ammo-consuming autocannons

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

A huge influx of new players isn't just about combat, so maybe 80%+ of the combat players leave, but how many of the influx are going to be indy based, running non-combat missions for NIC to buy and build...

The players most likely to leave, for any reason, are those that don't get involved in the community or a corporation.

Looking back a year when i first logged in, I didn't really expect to join a corp, but the recruiting was strong and everyone was eager to have new players.

tl;dr Left alone by choice or neglect, your probably right Anni, but with support of corps like PPA a lot of those solo pitfalls and starting area issues can be managed, and new player retention will be good.