Topic: Neuting ammo

Wouldn't this be very handy to have in cargo whenever you find yourself tackled by one of those green mk2 shield monsters?
How could it be balanced? Half the regular dmg compared to conventional ammo and a small amount of neuting effect as well maybe.

Discuss.

Because the voices told me to do it.

2 (edited by Arga 2011-12-15 20:42:29)

Re: Neuting ammo

This is a good idea, and fits in with ammo having multiple effects, adding a SMALL amount of accumulator loss would be ok.

An issue, as you've already pointed out, is balance.

Acc is needed for both offense and defense, ammo that does physical damage as well as reduction in acc has more than a 2 fold effect.

It also shouldnt minimize the need to fit neutralizers. By this I mean, my Seth has 6 lasers, so the amount of acc reduced can't be looked at on a per round basis, but more along the lines of the maximum possible applied acc reduction.

Looking at some numbers, if I would normally do 200 dmg with a shot, and the target had a .2 acc/hp absorbtion, that would reduce the acc by 40 points. Halving the damage would be of course, 20 acc points.

At first look, then it would seem like 20 acc points would be needed, simply to make it even worth using; why shoot a Neut round if it only removes 30 (20 from dps and 10 from neut) points when you could use a standard round and drop it 40.

However, making it more than you would normally get runs into issues too. For instance range and LOS issues.

A neuting missle that reduced the target by 50 acc instead of 40 acc has an advatange over a neut weapon as it ignores LOS, but turret weapons have the same LOS penatly as neuts.

If you run into a non-sheilded bot, neut rounds would be just as effective for armor tanking bots, or arguelable more effective on non-tanking bots, as they would do damage and remove hte offensive capabilty of hte target.

... 10 more acc would be the equivalent of adding 50 more damage to the round though, increasing damage from 200 to 250 is a 25% boost.

Seems very difficult to balance hmm

I'd prefer shield-penetrating ammo and/or weapons. That would be available blue/yellow pilots.

4 (edited by Baglodush Kemory 2011-12-16 12:22:26)

My idear would be a ammo that only interacts with shield. Something like breaking to the shield, ignoring it or 1 damage on a shield is one ACC, ignoring acc/hp.

That should be only specific for shieldet targets and of little use against non shieldet units, less damage or non damage.

Than it could be important to have different ammo in your guns.

Baglodush Kemory wrote:

My idear would be a ammo that only interacts with shield. Something like breaking to the shield, ignoring it or 1 damage on a shield is one ACC, ignoring acc/hp.

That should be only specific for shieldet targets and of little use against non shieldet units, less damage or non damage.

Than it could be important to have different ammo in your guns.

This would make the neut-modules obsolete and therefore the neuting bots and all the needed skills for it.

a weapon type that could at least penetrate shields for 1 dmg per shot (after resists) could be considered...
but still, i want shield HP seperated from Accumulator.

shields should use the accumulator to charge - yes,
but shields should not use the accumulator mechanics directly, to balance it out a bit with armor repair, which is also using AP to repair your HP buffer at certain conversion rate and cycletime (well, would be nice if armorrepair would cycle at 3ms... )

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Saramara wrote:

Wouldn't this be very handy to have in cargo whenever you find yourself tackled by one of those green mk2 shield monsters?
How could it be balanced? Half the regular dmg compared to conventional ammo and a small amount of neuting effect as well maybe.

Discuss.

Hm...someone wants a way to kill ictus with out bringing ictus.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

we dont need neuting ammo. with that the shield will be useless.

what we need is a change in the shield mechanics.
this is just one idea to it:
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … nclusions/

I definitely would NOT like to see shield mechanics changed in a way that make it yet another type of armor with a HP amount etc. And I would also dislike support and industrial fits to be without any practical defense left other then buffer as lowering shield absorption would do for example.