Topic: The Mechanics of Liquid mining?

Would the DEVs or someone else be able to explain the physics and overall mechanics of liquid mining please?  Sometimes it seems the liquid flows up hill... or downhill.  Does it act like Magma that could come through the ground and up, or is it flowing down the hill like water, but broken?

Thanks in advance!

Re: The Mechanics of Liquid mining?

Well, it flows into your mining lasers and into your cargo hold and from tile to adjacent tile whilst u mine, not down hill I think.

RIP PERPETUUM

Well yes, it flows, but ive seen it "run" up a hill.  I was set right at the edge of a hill, i was mining on 4 tiles, and i more or less mined the entire slope of about 20 tiles while the 4 tiles i had at the top of this hill were solid red the entire time.  I would like to understand how exactly it works to know how to choose the best spot to mine from.

Minerals come from underground. I think the simplistic answer is that underground pools don't follow the surface.
Liquids will be pulled towards the location you mine them from and the field will decrease until it shrinks down to a few cycles per tile. It is possible to mine out a liquid field and leave just the spawning tile.

Well the best way for me is to minimize relocking tiles and reactivate miners. So with a Riveler mk2 would be to set 5 tiles with each laser as far away as possible, with a small red sized (sitting bot at the centre) patch can be set for around 2hrs or so without changing tiles.

Seen others just setting it all lasers on 1 tile. This was popular in the good old days of liquid epitron mining, but it was changed to an ore as it is now. I dont know why the placed all on one tile though

I guess effeciency starts by learning not to use a geoscanner on miner and fit another tuner, scan area first with argano. Also, how accurate is your scanning btw? . If its not 100% you can really judge the liquid flow behaviour.

RIP PERPETUUM

On my Indy guy it's 100%. I do a 4 tile pattern around the bot with a double lazer on one.  In a square persay. Seems to last quite a long time on a good field.

Think of it this way as an analogy.

Tiles are like small reservoirs of water with a pipe connecting each adjacent tile and your mining laser is a hose pumping water out, as you empty the 'reservoir' adjacent tiles will start filling up the that space until there is no more water to fill it up from nearby reservoirs (tiles).

RIP PERPETUUM

Ok, cool, thanks for that Celebro.

alexander is mostly right - the liquid ore layer does not follow the terrains elevation (you would find liquid stuff not on slopes if it would!)

you can imagine an ore layers like a 2048x2048x256 greyscale map. when you mine a tile, your lowering a pixelvalue from max 256 down to 0 (dont ask my why its only 255 cycles max)

liquid ores do lower the pixel values of the whole connected deposit (i guess a random pixel per cycle) - with that the gradient areas will start to disappear and sometimes split the deposit in half.

You can imagine that like the liquid ores are located in underground bonds with a flat upper surface. when you empty them, the deepest point willl be the place where you want to start mining, as the flat outer areas start to disappear first.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I think I heard the 256th missing cycle is the scanning data if that makes any sense. Well ,that was a very detailed explanation, my simplistic approach although wrong in a sense gives a basic idea only on how it behaves.

Gotta love mining, most rewarding profession in-game, no I don't mean Nic/hr although epitron mining might be big_smile

Happy mining!

RIP PERPETUUM

It's connected with data I think.

My logic is this. Every tile of has has a representation in the database. Partly by limit, partly by design they set it to use just one byte (which has eight bits is a convenient power of two permitting the values 0 through 255). With 2 bytes the limit would be 65000 something cycles (with the number of tiles that would be a waste of disk space to hold so much data(it take more space to hold 1 byte than 2, even if the data could be in the limit of 255)). So 0 is the 256th cycle.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

ahh. yeah, i forgot the zero!

raw size of one island must be pretty big -> each layer is a 2048x2048 map:
- one 8-bit layer per ore/harvestable plant = +9 layer
- one 8-bit layer for elevation (hightmap) = +1
- one 1-bit layer for blocked terrain = +1
- one x-bit layer for special effects like highway boost or syndicate protection
- perhaps one for texture mapping and plants/buildings

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Oh yes, I was rushing my answer, but I also wanted to add that Anni. There's enough data on the map already wink

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I would like a chocolate layer and a dozen bites for that.

Celebro wrote:

Think of it this way as an analogy.

Tiles are like small reservoirs of water with a pipe connecting each adjacent tile and your mining laser is a hose pumping water out, as you empty the 'reservoir' adjacent tiles will start filling up the that space until there is no more water to fill it up from nearby reservoirs (tiles).

Analogy I heard as a young spark on Nia....

Poor a glass of water on the counter now hold a paper towel and only dip the corner in..... the water will pull in to the papertowel but if your not centered on the pool you might not pull it all in to the towel....

That being said I have seen line pools of Liquiz that pulled from one corner to the other but with 100+% scan you see that one side is a deeper red than the rest of the line.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d