1 (edited by Inspiration 2011-12-08 01:51:30)

Topic: New commander/scout type modules.

Group warfare and tactics relies a lot on battlefield information. I would like to see two new modules that help to complete a commanders picture of the battlefield. The two modules are working together and are only in effect for scouts and commanders.

The concept is this:

A commander has a fitting wise expensive module that can processes radar information gathered from any scouts that is able to transmit their radar data. Maybe as a restriction (if fittings aren't hit hard enough) only one can be activated per squad! So coordination must be present to determine which of the possible commanders on the field activates the module. The other fall-back commanders just get the fitting penalty and no benefit while the module is inactive (until they replace a fallen commander in battle).

Scouts can fit a likewise module that automatically transmits radar data to the active commander module in the squad. There is a limitation and that is bandwidth. A new rank 7+ extension would be needed to add additional bandwidth to a scouts ability to send a wider range of scout radar information to the commander.

Both need to be active modules and maybe (i haven't decided yet) a scout must have some sort of script ammo to be able to "direct" the radar view (fore/after, or quadrants) in order to use the available bandwidth more effectively in one specific direction (like a searchlight).

The balancing and such I rather leave to the DEVs, but the idea is sound and cool i think. An additional functionality for scout modules and passive commander modules would be to see what area is covered on their radar, but not see anything detected there as that must be restricted to the active commander module only.

Shoot smile

Re: New commander/scout type modules.

well can be made quite simpler.
its called sight (radar) sharing when you are in a squad.

and you eaven have a good reason for it. interference! robats have interference. that is basicly comunication. so all bots communicate with each other. the more on one spot the more information. (yes i know the devs have a bit diffrent explanation) so why not share that data with the squad?

would be a nice feature...

Sharing Radar with Squad +1

I like radar linking and there should be penalties for using it. Having to fit special modules seems to be a good option.
Except I don't want to make distinction between transmitter and receiver. Anyone who had fit the linking module should be able to see shared radar.

Wouldn't this make a detector bot really, really useful?

Also simplifies gate camping, having (3) alts share Radar to miner/farmer.

+1

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Mark Zima wrote:

I like radar linking and there should be penalties for using it. Having to fit special modules seems to be a good option.
Except I don't want to make distinction between transmitter and receiver. Anyone who had fit the linking module should be able to see shared radar.

indeed. and where is the problem with that?
but i woulf prefer it without any modules.

as if detection isnt overpowered enough

the "linking" module your asking for is called "Target painter"

let the detector paint the target and everyone can see it... noone else has to fit a module, restriction is that the painter has to reveal himself and can only paint one target at a time. other drawback is that i havent found any bot which can make a good use of long-range painting due to locking range restrictions.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

With the new need to defend outposts more regularly, now would be a good time to introduce artillary, which is what target painting was for I believe.

before artillery, they need to introduce something you can build to secure a location. right now, you dont need artillery... any goal in this game can be archieved by simply numbers or running around the obstacle...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear