1 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-08-20 00:53:28)

Topic: Perpetuum Radio?

So, I'm feeling the need for Perpetuum to have it's own 24hr radio station.

This is a 'feeling out' post to see who would have interest in DJing/mixing playlists/making propoganda/advertisements/suggesting musical choices/etc or who have the technical know how to assist in setting up stuff like this to make it as easy as possible for anyone with interest in participating to do so.

So far the great team for ultimate soundtrack justice (ok, at least people willing to work >:D ):

[NeX]Winter Solstice: music
[ATG]Sundial: Server organization
[CHAOS]Alexadar: Deep Ambient/Trance music
[PIE]Arga: Eclectic music
[PIE] Fatochta: Commercial editing and mixing
[REMEDY]MoBIoS
[RG]Doek: Music
[62nd]Kynes: Music
[62nd]Ultroth

If you have interest in what is going to be an epic project, let us know!

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Re: Perpetuum Radio?

I'd be willing to support this in some manner. Have you made any technical choices yet?

Sundial is setting up Icecast, which is compatable with Shoutcast(WinAmp).  That's about as far as we've gotten so far smile

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

4 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-08-17 22:44:03)

Requests? Country! I mean come on, what better music to farm to than country? ( if you say techno/trance I'll stab you with my hedgehog )

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Do you need a licence to broadcast music or as long as the music is legally purchased and licences for broadcast it's okay?

No sure of the laws of internet radio stations. tongue

But I do like the idea. The devs make a lot of music and I am sure they'd send you days worth to play.

It depends on where the streams are coming from and if the station is for profit as to whether they'll send a cease and desist (at which point, one ceases and desists).  The laws differ from country to country (with the US being the most Gestapo).  As we're not for profit, the chances of chasing us down are slim to none. 

It just means we play no Metallica wink

----

So, in second life we did something like this and were able to allow multiple djs to use the stream, it was automated so the dj could log in and take the stream without needing an admin - but I think that was because of the internal program. That would be a nice feature though, otherwise your having to give admin to everyone that's going to be streaming.

We're working on hashing bits out in IRC as we speak to try and make it easy and safe.

----

We can play all styles of music... it won't just be "Techno" music. Its whatever the players of perpetuum want to volunteer to play. Of course no corporate bias to anyone... This is strictly about the community.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdlHmzIdn8

big_smile

----

It would be cool to have the radio in-game, as part of the gaming experience. Ambient loops taken to the next level. With occasional broadcasts of something interesing/useful in addition to music.

Stand-alone is not (interesting) enough.

Mark Zima wrote:

It would be cool to have the radio in-game, as part of the gaming experience. Ambient loops taken to the next level. With occasional broadcasts of something interesing/useful in addition to music.

Stand-alone is not (interesting) enough.

Sounds like a bit of a technicality. At least I hope the take-away here is more than an having an in-game streamer instead of just running your favorite media player while playing the game. Yes?

Music is a filler, I'm sure the idea is to put player content for and about Perp into the mix. Maybe with Grem's permission replay the pod cast at 5PM everyday or something like that, as well as other player casts.

14 (edited by Sundial 2011-08-18 01:07:02)

Arga wrote:

Music is a filler, I'm sure the idea is to put player content for and about Perp into the mix. Maybe with Grem's permission replay the pod cast at 5PM everyday or something like that, as well as other player casts.

Another idea we have been discussing is allowing corporations to have their own streams, on top of a main stream that they could launch connect up and use...

only problem with this is we don't want this to be a platform for *** talking / trolling.

And it kindof scatters things around...

15 (edited by Mark Zima 2011-08-18 01:00:55)

@Doek
This "technicality" provides a) ease of access and b) strong association with the game (by the virtue of always being there, under the slider in the options menu).

I won't argue for the usefulness of in-game radio (I just think it's a cool idea). But other things being equal, out-of game station has less chances of becoming something.

16 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-08-18 01:43:54)

The primary issue with that would be copyright licensing -- because then you pay (to play perp) to listen to a radio station (possibly playing licensed music) .... which is why every MMO I know of has their stations 'stand alone' unless they play their own (licensed) music.  Implanted into the game means you 'pay to listen' - regardless of whether you're paying to play perp and the radii is 'free' or not.

So my first thought on that for at least this initial inception is that would be a 'very expensive'.

----

17 (edited by Sundial 2011-08-18 01:55:49)

Winter Solstice wrote:

The primary issue with that would be copyright licensing -- because then you pay (to play perp) to listen to a radio station (possibly playing licensed music) .... which is why every MMO I know of has their stations 'stand alone' unless they play their own (licensed) music.

Yep... by doing it as a community thing without profit involved, organizations that collect royalties don't really care.

None of my music is RIAA, but I am sure what some people will want to play will be. But it won't matter as its not officially part of anything "for profit"

Arga wrote:

So, in second life we did something...

I'm afriad I'm not allowed to talk to you anymore.  It's nothing personal.  Just um...well I can't really explain why.  It's not you, it's me.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

after all we've been through!? I deserve more than 2 lines and a see ya round.

I know your a fan of the virtual night clubs, com'n .... ya know its true.

Would it be better if it was Arga who was one of the guys who would go into the nightclubs with the shotguns and blast people repeatedly against the walls and ceilings until the devs nerfed that grief?

(waasn't really him, but I was howling with laughter when my friend told me about his part in the "trenchcoat mafia" in Second life)

----

I'd better recommend you to contact DEVs with next thing - you write PO-loke music, they add best of it into the game, both alpha and beta islands (last ones are hardly need new music imho).

If there is not only music you want to add (i.e. podcasts aswell), then anyway, PO should have some internal mechanic for such things. Everything external will be not enough popular.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

These stories and more on Perpetuum radio, tune in to hear more about less.

I made a 'Land Mower', which basically is a riding lawn mower scripted to terraform. Sure you can open the built in UI and click flatten all, or you can slowly drive your Land Mower around and idle away 40 minutes.

It had an auto-mode too, where you click it and it senses the size of the property, then goes off and mows automatically... Before I got the boundry condition right, it took off and leveled a path across 40 parcels before it was auto-returned... Sorry smile

Being a builder in SL is more then placing blocks, the scripting engine is really powerful. Any game that could take a world like Nia and add free-form construction of bots and POS buildings like SL would get me as a full life-time sub!

While adding audio streaming capability to the client would be relatively simple, I don't see that's it necessary.. then again from the blog the Dev's like to hand code everything instead of using canned code, so maybe not so straight-forward.

In any case, while I'm sure the idea is to have as many players listen as possible, worrying about market penetration for a community project is secondary at best. If no one listens to the stream because its not built into the client, then I guess the online players will miss out on some great 80's tunes...

corp/recruitement/event adverts would be cool :-)

25 (edited by Alexadar 2011-08-18 12:57:03)

For the testing purposes i started up audiostream
http://perpetuum.musicfiend.net:8000/chaos.ogg > just music, nothing more atm:D.

Thanks to [ATG]Sundial for the hosting!