Topic: Jetpacks

Can't have a mech game without jetpacks!

In-game mechanics:

- Uses a lot of accumulator
- Mass of the robot affects mid air maneuverability
- Weapon systems offline, or angle limited (IE: Your minigun can't rotate to shoot directly under you while mid air)
- Mostly used to maneuver rough terrain and gain tactical advantage.
- The smaller the robot, the higher it can "jump"
- Should be bursty, and expensive to use, so as to avoid mid combat use and abuse.

Ideas on how it could be used as such ingame:

1) To position yourself atop a hill before a big fight, to gain a tactical advantage with LOS
2) Big bad bot/gang about to alpha strike you? Maybe their shots can miss you if you time your jetpack burst well enough.
3) Stuck on top of a huge cliff with no way down except for a 10+ min walk? Just jump down and use a small burst right before you hit to minimize damage from the fall.

Etc.. Has this been suggested before? I'd be surprised if it hadn't.

Thoughts?

2 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-08-04 22:18:31)

Re: Jetpacks

I'd love to have something like this, but I don't think theres anyway to balance this as it's so powerful for gaining a position advantage...if it takes a lot of accumulator, you can place yourself atop a hill in defense of an intrusion sap and for the enemies to reach you they'll have to run themselves dry.

Again though, I'd love to see something like this, but I just don't see a good way to balance it.

Terrain is too powerful.

-1 and yeah it had been suggested and game mechanics/engines don't support it. least that was the answer that was given back 7 months ago.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

sup with the neck tattoos bros

cool idea but will never happen on perp

No, -1, stuff. It would have created a completely new game, where terrain becomes irrelevant and jet packs a neccesary part of any fit. In time we would demand that every bot have jet pack permanently. Game breaking. No.

6 (edited by Bluff Butler 2011-08-08 10:12:45)

-1, it totally negates the advantage that lighter bots have by using impassable terrain to escape from the 'mech blob'.

How about limiting usage by bot size?

I think this is something that isn't perpetuum tech, when running 2 clients you can see the desync very easy, imaging what adding more variation to the Z axis would do to combat.

Not to mention that this could potentially remove the advantage that missiles have.

9 (edited by Johnny EvilGuy 2011-08-13 03:45:16)

Yum Yum wrote:

Not to mention that this could potentially remove the advantage that missiles have.

Which would, in turn, balance the current weapons technologies so that they all stand on relatively equal footing among one another.

As much as I'd like jump capabilities, I've consdered this carefully and I'm not completely sold on it being a good idea in spite of whether or not I agree with Yum Yum about missiles having an unfair advantage given the line of sight agnostic firing mechanics.

Edit:  Then again...well it'd be fun to have.  I'm still indecisive about this, I admit.  I suppose if ewar gets a much needed nerfing, it'd come out as a wash in the end to add high mobility jump capabilities.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/