Topic: Some feedback and ideas

Some "management" ideas for the game that popped up to me during my first few days:

Anybody who doesn't use the 15 days free trial, but becomes a member is "punished" be throwing away free EP --> Make sure that when somebody becomes a member his account gets the remaining of the 21600 EP one gets during a full trial usage. To promote buy-ins double the amount left (the sooner you join the more starter EP you get).

While the EP over time mechanic has been proven to work by eve it also forces the user to play a suck at low levels way too long. Currently you sell 30days of EP (~40k) for 9€. Why not offer the same amount of inst-EP for the same money. If you think people should be able to buy out the game limit this package to once a month.

One reset for free is ok, another one at 20% is ok, 40% hurts. Again, if you want to make money, sell the resets. Eg. for 10€ you can lower the reset cost by 20%.

Other normal ideas would be paint jobs for money. Cool-down shorteners (prototyping or production) for money.

The way the game mechanics and especially the trade and crafting is set this game will only work with enough player. Make it free2play after the 15 days but with a slower EP gain rate or other slow-downs.

Otherwise keep up the good work and have fun on your job well done smile

Re: Some feedback and ideas

Your account gets 15 days of play time for the trial. When you apply a subscription code, say for 30 days, those 30 days are added to the account. So 15 + 30 if you were to register and apply a subscription code at the same time; for 45 days.

EP is not credited. It accumulates per minute of active subcription. Your not buying 30 days of EP, or getting 15 days of EP with a trial, your getting time.

*Considers what exactly that did to EvE Online* *shakes his head*

Didn't notice that i got the 15 days, so yeah my error.

But still, even though I buys time, I only can get better using EP. It's not like that I can directly influence my improvement by lot's of fighting or harvesting. No matter how hard i try, the EP trickle is a very hard (for me frustrating) long wait. At least it's not as bad as Eve where you actually have to log in regularly to continue your learning.

I think there should be some alternative to speed it up. Not an easy one but nevertheless. Be it real money or some king of in-game mechanic similar to "normal" XP.

There have been many suggestions about changing the 1EP/Min, and typically it is from new players wanting to 'catch up' like levels in themeparks.

Balance and other issues aside, just from a playablity stand point, if you could simply buy your way to the end of the extension setup, your game experience would be over. Unlike themeparks, there's not going to be an expansion of content every 6 to 18 months to entice you to come back and buy more EP. (the same applies to in-game grinding for additional EP instead of buying it).

It's just a fundamental difference between a persistent sandbox and something like WoW or a F2P online shooter.

Basically, it's not in the game's best interest to provide a way to bypass the EP progression. Modifying the cost of extensions, and adding new ones or refunding EP for changes yes, but 1 EP / Min is like the cornerstone of the whole system.

6 (edited by LouiseI 2011-08-02 08:05:27)

arghhhh, don't mess with game balance and real money.
And how do you think those f2p games get there money ?
grrrr...

The thing is Perpetuum was never planned to be a f2p game, and hopefully never will. A new guy shouldn't wtfbbq a veteran that has played for 1 year just because his/her real life purse is flooding. That would ruin the game.

EP is a no-no.

But I'm not opposed to a game store. In the end this is a commercial game, so the more we support it the better it will become.

There just needs to be a hard line of what can and can't be bought/sold.

Diablo III is going to have a RMT auction house in game; but they will also require you to play online even though its not an MMO. And that's the key, it's not an MMO, it's not a persistent universe.

Allowing RMT to have balance impact on the game will ruin the experience. Pink Bots, Yes! For those that you don't want to pay more for something that should be included in the monthly fee, that's a different arguement.

Real life money beyond subscriptions, if the game is a subscription-based game from the outset, should not be used to purchase an advantage.  While this thread is full of "older" players/alts who are trying to protect the e-peens that are threatened by the mere idea, I still think that the obviously biased opinions are perfectly valid.

On a side note, I'm all about trinkets like arkhe keychains and Sequer tee shirts to wear in real life and Hello Kitty pink Kains that are simmering with rainbow anger in the game pending it runs at a profit for AC's coffers and helps them buy more crossiants to misplace.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

honestly. You are telling me just because somebody has played longer he should be better. No new players should be allowed to reach them? How is that supposed to make the game better?

Even if bought a million EP I wouldn't be better than a really experienced player knowing the game and in the right cooperation.

right now I am depressed because currently my use of ammunition or mining charges is so inefficient that I would be better of waiting another 2 month before playing.

Should i be able to buy all extensions? Heck no. Should i be able to buy about 2-3 month to not have to wait and maybe switch the game? Yes, if this game is to survive.

I sympathize with your position on this.  Harvesting is an exceptionally inefficient process given the state of my current skills.  On the other end of it, I'm willing and able to wait for EP to accrue over time at its own rate and I'm not really concerned if someone else happens to have more of something than I do.  I don't care if I keep up with the Jones' next door because, to be honest, I don't really care what they're doing.  I'm not competing with them, I'm just out to have fun and relax for a few hours here and there.

That said, as Arga mentioned, EP over time is one of the cornerstones of the game.  While I'm not here to defend the design decision to essentially follow in EVE Online's footsteps regarding character advancement, there is something to be said about it being a rather fixed entity at this point.

Perhaps there could be a "bonus point" system for players that are active in the game that will marginally increase their EP pool, but that may open Perp to exploitation activities from unsavory types that place being better relative to others on a high pedestal.

I'm going to use a variant of the cargo expansion and lightweight frame argument here.  Though I don't like it, it's relevant.  If AC decided to allow players to purchase a certain number of EP, then nearly everyone will purchase the absolute maximum amount.  The relative position of players among each other probably won't change and the move may serve to upset segments of the population that feel the whole effort was a waste of developers' time.

The short of it is I don't think there's a way to change it without either killing the basis of character progression, opening the world to exploitation, or doing something that changes nothing at all.  My best advice is to relax.  Go out there and have fun.  Nevermind that things aren't as optimal as they could be because its a game and it doesn't matter.  If you earn NIC or accomplish something great, kudos.  Don't force it to happen by glaring at the clock, watching time drag by like a crippled insect.  You'll rapidly turn fun into work.  Don't pay someone else for the right to go to pretend work after you're done with real life work.

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

Ninoricola wrote:

Even if bought a million EP I wouldn't be better than a really experienced player knowing the game and in the right cooperation.

Good, you understand then. EP isn't as important as experience.

Good, you understand then. EP isn't as important as experience.

Of course it isn't, so why not sell it? Actually they are already selling it, 1EP per minute in monthly packages...

Yes, its' not important and already has a distribution method, so no reason to change it.

wow. another misguided request :-)

1. there are only so many EP needed to master a certain bot/area of the game. no matter how long the veteran played, you will catch up eventualy.
2. the EP trickle allows you one thing: learn the game without concentrating on the grind.
3. experience goes over EP

The second point is the most important in my view.

16 (edited by Lobo 2011-08-07 12:28:32)

LouiseI wrote:

arghhhh, don't mess with game balance and real money.
And how do you think those f2p games get there money ?
grrrr...

Buy offering I win Weapons and Armor, Or keys to unlock treasure chests then who ever opens the most chests in one day gets a grand prize.

EP is fine if your hurting to be an end game player.... oh wait there are no End game players in Perp since the sand castle isn't even built yet. you can be effective in a 10 day old trial on a pvp roam as a meat sheild and probably live cause no one will take you seriously in your assault with 4 weapons and a d-mob.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

I'm an end game player, actually.  I reached end game in my second week of play.

End game is about setting goals for what your end state ideal will be.  For me, end game is a steady income that allows me to have fun without worrying about paying for it all or *vomit* gathering materials to build things.  I buy off the market and I don't care if it's limited or not.

At any rate, end game for me is being able to generate afk earnings.  Parking my Sequer next to a plant and playing Master of Orion 2 in a DosBox while NIC rolls in at a rate sufficient for me to lose the Sequer once in a while and still have money to play with other aspects of the game pretty much sums up my desired end state.  I'm there and the watching rest of you people scramble around, trying to force youselves to progress in a game where advancement is fixed over time no matter whether you're logged in or not amuses me to no end.  I laughed very hard when I saw some poor guy rolling himself and three alts past me in a convoy of Sequer fail.  That's a guy who just doesn't get it yet.