1 (edited by Pinhead 2011-07-18 19:08:08)

Topic: The rep change for indy

I read the Devblog as saying they wanted to address the problem of industrial toons having to spend ep on combat skills to do combat missions to acquire rep for the industrial facilities. Imo a sensible and fair change.

Morak Mocam wrote:
I disagree with this non-combat and combat split for missions offered based upon the focus of the corporation.

Simply put - more options for players to progress based upon their style of play - don't limit it this way.

There should be combat options for non-combat corporations and vice verse.  That allows for cross-functional advancement.  Just because most go focused doesn't mean all do nor should all missions of a given type be only available from a given corporation.

So add more missions - sure but leave the options for combat to work for non-combat and non-combat to work for combat groups - thus all the options remain open.

Now let me answer Morak as best as i can , the present system is averaging a total number to see what rep the industrial toon has. To access the lvl 2 factories an industrial toon would have to be doing lvl 2 combat missions to avoid having a zero averaged in...a large investment of ep they don't want to use because they aren't combat toons they are industrial toons.
Someone such as yourself will have the option to do both..if you want to make your own ammo you can. The system will not limit your ability to do that

Re: The rep change for indy

The reputation ratio has nothing to do with what factory you can access, but rather it gives you much better yields on refining and makes manufacturing more efficient.

The coming changes are great, it makes it much easier for new producers to enter the arena and it makes a long boring grind slightly shorter. The 'problem' is that many industrials feel forced to pursue this horrendous grind to be competitative, and I don't see how some combat guy's opinion of industry should have any great impact on this. How would you feel if to be competative in PvP you needed to grind up a standing?

I suppose you can look at the same statement two ways.

Combat players get no benefit from grinding.

On one side, they don't need to grind rep because it does nothing for them. On the other side, Indy players have a bonus associated with grinding, but combat players don't.

The trouble is, that if that bonus exists, then you have to atleast try to achieve it or you be at a disadvantage. This would be more apparent if the rep grind did effect combat. Meaning if you could buy something like better ammo depending on your reputation, then all combat players would have to grind the rep or be at a disadvantage.

The same is true for the indy player, it's not really optional, because you are competing with others that have access to the same bonus.

If combat/pvp players want to talk about how the indy grind isn't a big deal, then lets add in a combat bonus based on reputaion so you can join in.

In fact, for balance that's what should happen. Either remove the indy bonus or add a combat bonus. The Indy player ALREADY has to do the kernel grind, do we really have to have 2 grinds to Combat's 0?

tl;dr - Either make reputation important for all aspects of the game, or remove it until the system is fully fleshed out.

Arga wrote:

I suppose you can look at the same statement two ways.

Combat players get no benefit from grinding.

On one side, they don't need to grind rep because it does nothing for them. On the other side, Indy players have a bonus associated with grinding, but combat players don't.

The trouble is, that if that bonus exists, then you have to atleast try to achieve it or you be at a disadvantage. This would be more apparent if the rep grind did effect combat. Meaning if you could buy something like better ammo depending on your reputation, then all combat players would have to grind the rep or be at a disadvantage.

The same is true for the indy player, it's not really optional, because you are competing with others that have access to the same bonus.

If combat/pvp players want to talk about how the indy grind isn't a big deal, then lets add in a combat bonus based on reputaion so you can join in.

In fact, for balance that's what should happen. Either remove the indy bonus or add a combat bonus. The Indy player ALREADY has to do the kernel grind, do we really have to have 2 grinds to Combat's 0?

tl;dr - Either make reputation important for all aspects of the game, or remove it until the system is fully fleshed out.

Arga, I love you.

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

but rather it gives you much better yields on refining and makes manufacturing more efficient.

er no! in fact.

Every 10% 'relation ration' you have only adds 1% to your material ratio.

so even if you grind up to 40%.. it only adds 4%.

Now, 4% is a nice little addition to your efficiency..  but 'much better' it is not.

Snowman wrote:
Lucius Marcellus wrote:

but rather it gives you much better yields on refining and makes manufacturing more efficient.

er no! in fact.

Now, 4% is a nice little addition to your efficiency..  but 'much better' it is not.

That has to do with the fact that the economy is broken and the market is not yet developed. If you were to confront an horde of other manufacturers and traders fighting them for profits and the actual operational margins were razor thin, even a 0.5% (dis)advantage could be the difference between making money and losing it.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

really depends on how big the population is, and the distances between your production facility and the demanding market (which is almost zero in current gameworld).

stilll missinge a redistribution of comodities and ores in equipment, so you can't build equipped heavy pelistal mechs ons eg. hokkogaros, without trading components with someone who is on eg. Alsbale.

Zeniths are no. 1 ewar mech - imagine you would need an ore or commoditiy that only tier3 thelodica facilities could create? Even those beta-corps would need to ninja mine/refine/build on their opponents island...

why i'm posting this here? its also (or better it should be) impossible to have high standings with all three conglomerates to get best refining/production, etc. wherever you go.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Snowman wrote:
Lucius Marcellus wrote:

er no! in fact.

it's 20,000 EP for Refining 10, which only adds 3%, for a total of 30%.

And you can have 100% relation, which is 10% or 40% vs 30% refining.

So no 1% isn't a lot, but 10% is, arbitrarily stopping at '4' doesn't make his statement about it being much better false.

9 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-19 19:51:13)

Snowman wrote:
Lucius Marcellus wrote:

er no! in fact.

If you then stack this with the refining bonus at http://atg.bplaced.net/p/c/refinery/, it comes out to a real advantage. Actually I'm reasonably fine with the bonus to ME, but the bonus to refining is far too high. According to this refining calculator, which I have heard is very accurate, an agent with 100% relation ratio needs 25% less materials than someone with 0% relation ratio. This is very significant.

it's very hard to get 100% relations wink
If not impossible without running missions for 3 months imo.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Very hard is an accurate assesment.

Impossible would be accurate, as there is no lvl9 mission which you would need fo that minimum. wink

standing stops at 7 with a lvl6 mission

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Also the change to the mission reward will make it harder because you don't get to keep usable ore/material that you mined, which is good in my opinion. Didn't make sense to be contracted to mine something for a reward and get to keep what you mined plus the reward.

Those who do put in the effort should be adequately rewarded with the bonuses.

14 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-19 22:57:22)

Seems a lot of people are good at missunderstanding, it's linear between the values, so feel free to do some math if you want to (comparing 0% vs 40% it would still be 10% less materials, then another 4% from ME). Also, I think we can safely assume that at some point 100% relation ratio will be attainable.

Anyhow, for now I'd like to build on Arga's suggestion. Please give a damage bonus for bots dependent on relation ratio, something along the lines of +12.5% at 50% relation. This way all the PvPers can also get a slice of the grinding fun! Also, it's not bad for balance, as everyone can get it anyways!

Don't touch my PvP with your PvE stuff please. I have no interest in having to grind for months in order to be pvp-equipped. The Loyalty Point store worked in EVE because you could sell the items on the market. It wasn't exclusive to someone who missioned until their brain melted away.

Don't screw with the pvp balance please. It doesn't need any more 'must be this tall to ride' requirements as it is. Forcing a new player to grind for 3 months in alpha before being able to pvp? Pass.

Loco wrote:

Don't touch my PvP with your PvE stuff please. I have no interest in having to grind for months in order to be pvp-equipped. The Loyalty Point store worked in EVE because you could sell the items on the market. It wasn't exclusive to someone who missioned until their brain melted away.

Don't screw with the pvp balance please. It doesn't need any more 'must be this tall to ride' requirements as it is. Forcing a new player to grind for 3 months in alpha before being able to pvp? Pass.

Well, as I manufacturer I don't want the PvE mission grind either, but the DEVs push it down my throat. And as everyone seems to defend it, I can only conclude that people like these type of grinds, so introduce them in PvP as well.

17 (edited by Arga 2011-07-19 23:30:46)

Not to mention that 1/2 of the Rep grind is on beta, so not only forcing us to grind but to do PVP too.

I think they're are finally starting to understand Lucius.

People always like a long grind as long as it doesnt affect themselves...

I find work fascinating...

I can sit and watch someone else do it for hours.

Arga wrote:

I find work fascinating...

I can sit and watch someone else do it for hours.

Yes. And it makes me feel creative too. I keep having a lot of ideas on how that person could improve his working, if only he was not such an idiot and would listen to my suggestions.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Well, as I manufacturer I don't want the PvE mission grind either, but the DEVs push it down my throat. And as everyone seems to defend it, I can only conclude that people like these type of grinds, so introduce them in PvP as well.

So, rather than searching for some other system for PvE and manufacturing, you wish to shove a system you deem broken/a grind onto more players?

Hasn't anyone ever said to you "I think this food is bad, taste it!"?

Typically, people just say no, I believe you.

23 (edited by Smokeyii 2011-07-20 06:23:20)

I believe they're just making a point here, Loco.

As a Early Access player, I'll tell you, my production character is the only one that's ever needed to grind missions to be successful in this game. Didn't need relations on my combat or my miner toons. My miner is most likely in the top 10 for efficency with a single bot (yes, you 7 account multi-boxing termis/riveler pilots can mine way more then me...) and my combat toon is pretty descent at what he does smile

But I do kind of agree, it seems a bit out of balance requiring relation ratio to be competitive in only one (or two I guess, im not really sure if relations affect taxes or the market much) aspects of the game. There should either be no bonus across the board, or let there be a reason for a bonus for miners and combat characters.

Smokeyii wrote:

I believe they're just making a point here, Loco.

Loco, if the system is so broken, why can't you just agree for it's removal? If not, well, might as well give bonuses for everything...

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

People always like a long grind as long as it doesnt affect themselves...

I'm happy to grind, as long as the grind makes sense. What would you prefer? Being able to build everything perfectly from the start?