Re: Seth / Mesmer to Gropho Inbalance ( WARNING, wall of text / math )

Crispy Bacon wrote:

Wait, so for the Seth and the Gropho you're changing its 3rd bonus, then nullifying that bonus by compensating for the new bonus?  Why not just remove the 3rd bonus then?

Well, we give a nice round bonus of 5%, so you get 40-50% bonus for an average awesome pilot. This would pretty much render the Gropho indestructible, so to balance it properly, we would have to add 2.334265324523452134% per level. To make it look better, we add the nice round 5% and change the accumulator to whatever, it will always be a nice looking number. We are by no means nullifying it.

That's pretty elementary, Watson.

I dunno about everyone else, but I think I'd rather see the long number, looks more legit big_smile

OK, this is now a heavily modified thread. Only comprehensive, detailed, well reasoned posts will be left to stay.

Really like the proposal for the Seth. It would allow it to fill the primary tank role for groups with the resist change. Proposed turret height change obviously a benefit also.

Gropho change would allow it to sustain more damage over time; at the same time lower its ability to tank alpha strike, which i agree with. Why does the longest range bot have the best ability to tank alpha currently.

80 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-11 00:37:25)

DEV Calvin wrote:

Mesmer:

• Falloff bonus -» -5% magnetic weapon accu usage/lvl

• Base speed increase to 44.8

Yagel, Arbalest, Kain:

Please no, just no sad.

Sorry if I have to do it, but I must do a compair.
I played Amarr since 2007 and half the ships have 5%/level less cap use for Laser while all other get 5% damage, 5%range or whatever.

It's like "sorry, you are to imba for a REAL bonus, so we give you a useless bonus so you can't whine "the other have +1 bonus, why don't I have the same number of bonis???"".

Increase BASE recharg or accumulator of the blue bots or reduce BASE AP use of the weapons they use. But do NOT implement a dummy-bonus!

Falloff is fine as it makes Autocannons/Arty an option.

Plus you force blue pilots to get the needed extension to max so they can use this bot at all as without it's not posible to apply damage for long enough. That's not good/cool/fair/whatever!

If Magnetics need 50% to much AP/shot ... fix them and half the AP/shot. Do not inplement useless dummy (non-)bonis!
Falloff bonus is fine!

PS: yes, other bot have 5% accumulator (recharg) bonus peer level ... but this can be used for ANY AP using modul (shield, EW, weapons, rep, remote stuff ... all of them). 5%/level ONLY for weapons is no "Bonus" but just a dummy for "take this so you can't whine about missing a (REAL) 3. bonus".

81 (edited by Lemon 2011-07-11 03:51:52)

DEV Calvin wrote:

There are some very good points listed in here and we agree that some changes would be useful. Our main concern is the accumulator instability of the Mesmer and the Seth with the native weapons mainly for PvE applications and the versatility of the shield Gropho at both short and long ranges. Please note here, that the ERP armor as an option was not discussed and is a very good option for these mechs. The inconsistency of the bonuses through the mech lines is also hurting the anal retentive parts of our personalities.

So here is a change proposition package, please discuss:

Seth:

• Shield absorption -» 5% armor resist / lvl

• Armor amount decrease to compensate the resist bonus

• ~15% medium laser accumulator usage decrease

• Base speed increase to 39.6

Gropho:

• Shield absorption bonus -» 5% accumulator recharge, in line with other Pelistal

• Accumulator capacity decrese to compensate for the recharge bonus

Mesmer:

Yagel, Arbalest, Kain:

All turret robots:

• Increase of firing height to get better line of sight

So I would like everyone to understand the kind of deep water we are treading in here with some of these suggested changes. As this opinion will be frowned upon by some of my corpmates.

We have 2 bot types that are high damage out put is controlled by two factors- Accumulator Cost and LoS. I am sure all of us have experience the damage that can be unfolded upon you by a few kains within LoS for any extended periods of time. Now this burst damage that the kains are able to put out however slows down once they are forced to regen accum in between shots. The same holds true for Lasers, however they rely heavier on crits to make up for the slight lower dps but increased range factors.

Now your gropho, can hit you for ever from behind a rock for very insignificant damage in comparison to the bots above. Now in order to off set this they arn't held to the same rules of LoS and burning high amounts of accumulator. This however can become deadly quickly when encountering 10 of these bots attacking speed fit opponents.

Now with that being said Lets look at how we can Improve these bots with outside assistance, but wait... that requires coordination and boring jobs. Why yes it does however i am sure a majority of you will be very surprised to see the effect i can achieve by using them.

Heres the Thought experiment. (lets focus on range since that seems to be the shiny here)

We have a Gropho and a seth bot fit for 800m Range. well my seth does so much damage but runs out of accumulator quickly so lets equip a bot with accum transfers for it so it can fire all the time. Now they both need Sensor amps so lets amp them.

Now that both our bots can lock and fire infinitly to 800m Lets go ahead and see if we can improve this.

Lets now bring in some Nexus's: So i can bring in a Assault nexus and a Crit nexus. This brings any decent pilots stats to the following

Gropho: 13-17% crit
Seth: 26-30% Crit
Gropho cycle:6
Seth cycle:2.1

Now unless i have guidance 10 my gropho is going to fail some rockets. But lets look at some fun facts now to see all you have to do to win.

So now we have 2 bots firing infinitly with one bot firing nearly three times in the time it takes the weaker damage bot to fire 1 volley.

What does it take to win? Superior Positioning and Support bots.

PS: Watch how long a bot lives against a seth firing 6 lasers and critting for just shy of 300 damage per gun every 2 seconds.

Now you tell me if you want to make me more mobile, better stable and base tank stronger. If i need to i will write up how i can out tank the server with resist bonus seth.

Just because a bot doesn't perform as well as another on paper self fitting does not mean it is under powered. You need to take in to account how these bots perform with support.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Btw Lemon, how do you get a gropho down to 4.1 seconds while still having him super range fit?  I'd say 6 seconds would be a pretty generous number, seeing you'd need 3 extenders to get close to that range.  I dont have amazing launch skills, but still even with those at 8 each wouldnt achieve close to 4.1 seconds at that range.

->You just lost The Game<-

83 (edited by DEV Calvin 2011-07-11 09:22:18)

Crispy Bacon wrote:
Lemon wrote:

Just because a bot doesn't perform as well as another on paper self fitting does not mean it is under powered. You need to take in to account how these bots perform with support.

Quote for great justice.  The OP wasn't complaining about an actual problem, but he was looking at a fitting tool and said, "thats not right, clearly this is broken"  when in fact he has no experimental proof to show if there is in fact an imbalance (whether or not there actually is one, the OP didn't state so).

Befor the devs implement some changes because some guy ran some numbers, lets ask ourselves:  is this actually a problem or is it a problem only on paper?

About swaping falloff bonus to reduction of accu usage.

That bonus is interesting and can be used by magnetic guns and firearms, so why change it.
The problem is that magnetic weapons have *** falloff to begin with.

Devs when you add falloff bonus you suggest a new player that he/she should shoot in falloff range (its the same with shield absorption), but in the end you have, i.e., medium EM guns with 75m base falloff and 150 optimal. Extensions will not boost it that much.

With all lvl 10 it'll be 80% = 135m falloff

Increasing base falloff of magnetic guns would make that bonus usefull, it would also boost Magnedart slugs.
Take a good look into the magnetic guns parameters first than look at the robots bonuses.

Our robots are made by Jesus himself with the help of MacGyver and blessed by Chuck Noris

Neoxx wrote:

Btw Lemon, how do you get a gropho down to 4.1 seconds while still having him super range fit?  I'd say 6 seconds would be a pretty generous number, seeing you'd need 3 extenders to get close to that range.  I dont have amazing launch skills, but still even with those at 8 each wouldnt achieve close to 4.1 seconds at that range.

You are Correct Good sir, I fix it. Thanks for pointing that out. i mixed up my fits.

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

85 (edited by Saha 2011-07-11 09:28:32)

DEV Calvin wrote:

Seth:

Sounds good, though I believe Seth will still be slower than Gropho?

DEV Calvin wrote:

Gropho:

• Shield absorption bonus -» 5% accumulator recharge, in line with other Pelistal

5% accu recharge is a bit useless outside shield tank considering Gropho has no issues with AP. Though I guess it's a nice thing to have different gameplay heavy.

DEV Calvin wrote:

Mesmer:

Yagel, Arbalest, Kain:

Should have small magnetics optimal increased by about 20% as well. Even with sharpshooting at 10, arbalests/yagels sit at 150 meters range with close to 0 falloff which makes those bots pretty much useless.
Please change magnedart ammo to something usefull as well, since atm it's the only faction ammo which is 100% useless outside suicde bot role due to explosion radius (100 meters optimal on mesmer/kain, 35 meters optimal on yagel/arbalest).

DEV Calvin wrote:

All turret robots:

Great news!

86 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-11 10:16:27)

Baron wrote:
Dan wrote:

Take a good look into the magnetic guns parameters first than look at the robots bonuses.

totally agreed. instead of changing falloff -> accu recharge, buff the the falloff bonus to 10% or 15% per level.

I wouldn't touch the falloff bonus at all as I strongly feel it is fine.

When you have a broken engine with less PS then it should in your car, you don't change the car's papers but fix the engine to have the PS it should have. And if the engine need to much fuel/100km you fix the engine but don't change the fuel tank (except you are an US guy).

The guns have a problem? -> fix the guns
Change falloff and optimal to be 50/50 with same total range maybe?

• old Prompt: 175+60, total 235

• new Prompt: 108,5+108,5

• old Glipler: 310+60, total 370

• new Glipler: 185+185

If you feel EM guns need to much AP, low it for the guns. But don't touch the bot/mech bonus!

PS: just did a quick math (hope it's right)
I used 8 for the extensions (weapon optimal, weapon falloff, bot)

• old Prompt: 217+98,4=315,4 max range

• new Prompt: 145,7+192,7 = 338,4 max range

• old Glipler: 384,4+98,4 = 482,8 max range

• new Glipler: 229,4+303,4 = 532,8 max range

Before you say "don't give em more range" ... it's FAR in falloff, so the damage is highly reduced at 532,8 if you hit at all.

The Falloff is ok and more like 75/25 atm. Decreasing optimal and increasing falloff is going to make the kains not medium range but a short range mech. The bapth would have better range than a kain.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

The Falloff is ok and more like 75/25 atm. Decreasing optimal and increasing falloff is going to make the kains not medium range but a short range mech. The bapth would have better range than a kain.

I just try all to keep the falloff bonus and NOT to get a dummy no-bonus like "need lees energy to shot their intended weapons" sad. Had to deal with sich junk for about 4 years now.

Maller anyone? (50% less energy use to fire ... but I don't fire as I don't do damage anyway!)

Saha wrote:
DEV Calvin wrote:

Seth:

Sounds good, though I believe Seth will still be slower than Gropho?

DEV Calvin wrote:

Gropho:

5% accu recharge is a bit useless outside shield tank considering Gropho has no issues with AP. Though I guess it's a nice thing to have different gameplay heavy.

DEV Calvin wrote:

Mesmer:

Yagel, Arbalest, Kain:

Should have small magnetics optimal increased by about 20% as well. Even with sharpshooting at 10, arbalests/yagels sit at 150 meters range with close to 0 falloff which makes those bots pretty much useless.
Please change magnedart ammo to something usefull as well, since atm it's the only faction ammo which is 100% useless outside suicde bot role due to explosion radius (100 meters optimal on mesmer/kain, 35 meters optimal on yagel/arbalest).

DEV Calvin wrote:

All turret robots:

Great news!

Note that Gropho, which already has the lowest accumulator capacity, had it decreased further, so it's a nerf for shield tanking. And no, cap regen doesn't matter with a blob shooting at you.

Falloff nerf is also a gimp. Despite what people say, falloff is a huge factor that's utilized every time someone activates a gun outside of pve. You will feel this nerf in game, as you can no longer activate guns at the range you're used to. In many pvp situations, falloff dps is the only dps many people in heavy end up getting to do. They will now do no dps. Lupus's disingenuous wall of text make it as if falloff doesn't count, in order to achieve his goal of convince devs of his "buff me, nerf you" ideas. The side effect of that will bite everyone in the ***.

Falloff nerf in favor of alleviating nonexistent cap issues (blob on either side will have finished off you or the target long before cap runs out) is an effective nerf.

Balancing to mechs shouldn't be done according to pve, only pvp. If you want to balance pve, change the rats.

Sabre906 wrote:

If you want to balance pve, change the rats.

If you want to balance PvP change bot resitence but don't touch PvE !

Lemon wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

You are Correct Good sir, I fix it. Thanks for pointing that out. i mixed up my fits.

It's still way off. Complex missile launch level 9, missile launch level 7, and my T4 medium launcher cycle time is still 7.3 seconds.

Also, 3 range extender to get 800 range? I have propellent mixing level 10 and 3x T4 range extenders and barely get 650 range.

Purgatory wrote:
Lemon wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

It's still way off. Complex missile launch level 9, missile launch level 7, and my T4 medium launcher cycle time is still 7.3 seconds.

Also, 3 range extender to get 800 range? I have propellent mixing level 10 and 3x T4 range extenders and barely get 650 range.

Ok Forgive me I shall Reedit this Post and put the Exact number in, Both will be just shy of 800m.  I will input the exact cycle times/Distance for both Gropho and Seth.

Swap to Long range ammo and add 2 T4 tuning for cycle time reduction

editing after lunch break

Undefeated 2013

93 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-07-11 23:34:11)

DEV Calvin wrote:

There are some very good points listed in here and we agree that some changes would be useful. Our main concern is the accumulator instability of the Mesmer and the Seth with the native weapons mainly for PvE applications and the versatility of the shield Gropho at both short and long ranges. Please note here, that the ERP armor as an option was not discussed and is a very good option for these mechs. The inconsistency of the bonuses through the mech lines is also hurting the anal retentive parts of our personalities.

So here is a change proposition package, please discuss:

Seth:

Gropho:

Mesmer:

Yagel, Arbalest, Kain:

All turret robots:

I don't belive I am about to say this....:::slaps self:::... but I find myself in agreement with Dev Calvin.  This would go a long way to balancing the issues.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

I don't belive I am about to say this....:::slaps self:::... but I find myself in agreement with Dev Calvin.  This would go a long way to balancing the issues.

But still ...

If EM guns use to much energy -> fix the guns by lower energy need.

If the mech don't have enough energy -> fix energy pool by give him more BASE energy.
If regen isn't good enough -> fix regen by lower regen time.

But ... the problem of the guns is NOT the problem of the mech!
And even less for the small bots Yagal, Arbalest where you don't even notice the energy use of EM guns which realy NEED the falloff bonus. Yes, I run my Arbalast with 5*T4 + 3* weapon upgrade. There is NO energy problem just from fireing my guns!! If someone has problems with it, he should get his energy extensions up.

(med) Gun problem == (med) gun problem => fix it with (med) gun adjustments.
Mech problems == mech problems => fix it with mech adjustments (speed increase).

agree with Jack - do not change robot attributes or bonuses for this.

Laser power consumption change, better LoS and reworking the LWF game mechanic = already enough to completely change the whole balance of mech-pvp.

no need to for all the secondary changes which reduce the fitting possibilities of the robots even more (if your not planning to implement about 3 new chassis per class and faction at the same time)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I think some of these changes are needed and some of them aren't. I'd like to see the change to weapon height happen first, see how things go.

The balance changes to seths/mesmers for 'pve' will greatly improve their already strong abilities in PvP.

Conversely, i think the change to gropho's shield's may actually end up being a buff as currently they have a huge recharge time once their shields are depleted.

I am a bit disappointed that we're not also addressing the green on yellow as a natural predator in the heavy arena. Currently gropho's have next to no chance of defeating a seth  because of their strong resists to everything. I'd imagine they need to have some limit to their power, giving them the ability to be more cap stable really makes them the go to choice as they fear nothing in relatively even odds small scrimish combat.

Just my .02

Additionally, a lot of this perceived inability for anything but a group of gropho's to be dominant in pvp is all based on large battles before l-demobs.

These things will most certainly be able to change the face of fights and close the gap to make mesmers much more useful and seths even stronger.

We should really go light on the changes until we have some time to experience a lot of the new mechanics that were added right before the intrusions stopped happening.

98 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-07-12 22:24:54)

GLiMPSE wrote:

Additionally, a lot of this perceived inability for anything but a group of gropho's to be dominant in pvp is all based on large battles before l-demobs.

These things will most certainly be able to change the face of fights and close the gap to make mesmers much more useful and seths even stronger.

We should really go light on the changes until we have some time to experience a lot of the new mechanics that were added right before the intrusions stopped happening.

No.  Again, in a situation of asymmetric warfare, the larger group will still dominate, and in fact, the slower heavy mechs will be even more vulnerable to the L-Demob, with a effective range of 1111 m, and with heavies only being able to detect the L-Demob ewar at 1000 m, without interference.

For moe details see:  http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … c-warfare/

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

99 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-13 01:03:08)

I just did a short math for Yagel and Arbalest ...

WITHOUT any extensions:
Yagel 250: akku, 120 second recharg => 2,08 e/s
Arbalest 400: akku, 180 second recharg => 2,22 e/sec

T2 small EM: 3 e/shot, 5 second cycle => 0,6 e/s
T4 small EM: 5 e/shot, 6 second cycle => 0,83 e/s

Yagel: 4*T2 = 2,4 e/s, 4*T4 = 3,33 e/s
Arbalest: 5*T2 = 3 e/s, 5*T4 = 4,17 e/s

NOTE: without any extensions it is NOT posible to fitt T4 weapons except you start with nothing but weapons !!

with akku-ext and akku-reg-ext at 5:
Yagel: 287,5/102 = 2,82 e/s
Arbalest: 460/153 = 3,01 e/s
with akku-ext and akku-reg-ext at 10:
Yagel: 325/84 = 3,87 e/s
Arbalest: 520/126 = 4,13 e/s

What does it show?
- If you start without ANY extension, you will not be able to shot infinity.
- If you start with decent (5) energy skills, you will be able to shot T2 infinity.
- If you start with perfect (10) energy skills, you can shot T4 infinity with the Yagel and nearly infinity with the Arbalest.

- even without any extension you can shot 1,25 (Y) or 2 (A) minutes if you don't count energy regen using T4 guns (which don't fitt at all without extensions!!) ... more then enough time to kill you.
- If you start to PvP without extensions ... you deserve to die wink.
- If you start with decent extensions ... you can't expect to be stable when using the best tiers! (and wast NIC)
- If you have perfect extensions ... you don't care anymore anyway big_smile.

Overall this should point out, that there is NO NEED to gimp Yagel and Arbalest with a USELESS "less energy peer shot" bonus !!!
And in addition they realy need the falloff bonus for PvP and PvE sad.

Get some extensions to use propper fittings and you are fine.
If you don't do it, you deserve to be unstable (and to die).

PS:
I did not calc other extensions or moduls (till now). So rapid fire, weapon upgrades, akku batteries, energy injectos, energy recharger WILL change the results!

PPS:
- The Arbalest might be happy about +10 BASE akku wink.
(410 akku =>  2,28 e/s without extensions, 3,08 e/s with extentsions at 5, 4,23 e/s with extensions at 10 => T2 stable at 5, T4 stable at 10)
- The Yagel is perfectly fine.
- small EM guns are perfectly fine.
- if MEDIUM EM guns have a to high e/s ratio => fix this!! But don't touch the robo/mech bonis!

PPPS:
T3 small EM do have the same e/s ratio as T2. So with decent (5) extensions you can use decent (T3) weapons for a good "result vis cost" ratio!

Im agree with grophos changes only if acumulator capacity will be cnanged slightly. Else: grophos will be paper bots.