Re: Seth / Mesmer to Gropho Inbalance ( WARNING, wall of text / math )

Wow I read the whole thing and I'm very suprised at whos posting the +s and the -s as many of the -s are coming from veteran yellow pilots!

BTW Critical hit is a huge DPS increase with auto cannons I can easily 1 volley T3 lights and T3 e/war and 2 volley T2/3 assaults with out plates of course.

When i started playing the game after release it was explained to me this way
Green was slow speed/consistant dps but low dps/sheid tankers/mid-high range
Yellow was mid speed/mid dps but los factor crit increase/armor passive resist/mid-Extreme range
Blue was fast speed/high dps burst dps/armor active tank/pointblank to mid range
That in turm factored in to the resist rock paper sissor we know and love of Blue - > Green - > Yellow  - > Blue

Greens are always gonna have extra AP sitting in the pool cause the launchers are almost self powered.

Quick look at a 0 ep toon in there starting bots
Blue cant fit 4 EM guns on his yagle (Reactor)
Yellow cant fire all 4 of his lasers on his prom after 4 shots (accumulator)
Green cant fit all the stuff he want castel cause of (CPU).
Is this unbalanced? no I don't think it is and suprizingly this will echo further down the EP trail of each of those pilots new bots/mechs. Jump in a Tyrannos as soon as EP allows with out proper data processing and tell me how much cpu it has.... its lol

Only complaint i have on my personal seth is d@mn its slow. That being said I will out "DPS" (not range) any thing walking with "compairable Skill level" with 6 t4 auto cannons which by the way weigh a ton in there own right.

I believe that yeah the seth is gimped a little in the speed department.

I'm gonna throw this out as i think it has been already you want us to discuss the # on 3 Heavy Mechs that will likely never meet solo 1 vs 1. How will the tide turn if the seth has 2 light e-wars with him? What happens when its 10 vs 10 (2 heavy mech 3 mechs 1 RR 2 assaults and 4 e-wars vs each other?) Battlefields and fighting is fluid and if you want to compare pure # vs #s its always going to look like someone has a disadvantage. Hence why combat sports always say on paper it appears this person has the advantage, or on paper this person wins 9 out of 10. Other things factor in to real encounters; Masking, AFK, Terrain, E-war, Distance to a safe place. And thats just the tip of the ice berg. 

TL;DR 
Unbalanced on a razors edge yeah.... Broke no.
Easy fix give the seth a 1kph over the gropho. Its not gonna break any thing as range and resists are untouched.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

52 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-07-09 18:45:42)

Shaedys wrote:

I would however note the absence of missile guidance and question if this was taken into account for the Gropho DPS.

No, and neither did I use Precison Firing.  Missle Guidance  "Each - level of this extension reduces the chance of missile guidance failure by an additional 1 percentage point."  With Missle Guidance to 10, chance of misfire goes to 0%. ( hich addresses another person's comments earlier)

And Khadia, also you others who keep saying it, autocannons are not the answer here for the following reasons:

-Seth bonuses are for lasers, 5% increase to damage per level of Advanced Robotics.
-Seth is already the slowest heavy mech, with lasers fitted.  Medium HCL T4 lasers are 330kg apiece (total of 1980kg).  T4 Medium autocannons are 700kg apiece (total of 4200 kg)!
with the net result of slowing the Seth further.
-T4 Medium HCL has a base optimal of 350, T4 Medium Autocannons have a base optimal of 225.  With being even slower fitting T4 medium autocannons, now you've reduced the optimal range below that of a Artemis/Tyrannos mech fit for long range, never mind a heavy mech, with the a speed approximately half of what a long range mech can achieve.  At that point, you have a medium range expensive stationary turret, that can neither close the gap, nor hit it's targets.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

No, and neither did I use Precison Firing.  Missle Guidance  "Each - level of this extension reduces the chance of missile guidance failure by an additional 1 percentage point."  With Missle Guidance to 10, chance of misfire goes to 0%. ( hich addresses another person's comments earlier)

ignoring: a medium laser has a 100% chance to hit mech/heavy mech without any of these extensions, while missile can still miss if he didnt max it out.

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

And Khadia, also you others who keep saying it, autocannons are not the answer here for the following reasons:

-Seth bonuses are for lasers, 5% increase to damage per level of Advanced Robotics.

And? doesnt matter...

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

-Seth is already the slowest heavy mech, with lasers fitted.  Medium HCL T4 lasers are 330kg apiece (total of 1980kg).  T4 Medium autocannons are 700kg apiece (total of 4200 kg)!
with the net result of slowing the Seth further.

Does it really matter if my mech walks 37kph or 35kph?

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

-T4 Medium HCL has a base optimal of 350, T4 Medium Autocannons have a base optimal of 225.  With being even slower fitting T4 medium autocannons, now you've reduced the optimal range below that of a Artemis/Tyrannos mech fit for long range, never mind a heavy mech, with the a speed approximately half of what a long range mech can achieve.  At that point, you have a medium range expensive stationary turret, that can neither close the gap, nor hit it's targets.

again? does that matter? the seth with firearms doesnt need the AP of its huge accumulator for shooting. Do you expect it to sit there and get shot down, and not using its SHIELD or Armor repair?

your arguments get worse with each try... really

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

54 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-07-09 21:51:53)

Other than offering subjective opinion, nothing you have stated is based on objective data, therefore it is you who's arguements "...get worse with each try... really"

And, if the data were not valid:

Why did so many ppl respec to Pelistal?
Why do you not see Seths, or for that matter, many Mesmers, in incursion PVP?

The real issue here is because people did respec, due to the LOS, AP, and speed issues, and then heavily invest in retooling to Grophos for incursions, and are more interested in protecting that, than an actually balance that allows for an active role in PVP, and Incursions, for the other heavies.  "OMG, if they buff Mesmes and Seths, or nerf Gropho's. wewill no longer have that advantage!!!"

For the most part, that is what I see here as far as the negative responses.  You want you arguements to be taken seriously, present DATA that supports your arguements.  Otherwise, it's just opinion.

ATM, Mesmer and Seth are good for farming, though you have to energy transfer the Seth to sustain it, but have little on no role for PVP, due to the inbalance between them and the Gropho.

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Other than offering subjective opinion, nothing you have stated is based on objective data, therefore it is you who's arguements "...get worse with each try... really"

And, if the data were not valid:

Why did so many ppl respec to Pelistal?
Why do you not see Seths, or for that matter, many Mesmers, in incursion PVP?

The real issue here is because people did respec, due to the LOS, AP, and speed issues, and then heavily invest in retooling to Grophos for incursions, and are more interested in protecting that, than an actually balance that allows for an active role in PVP, and Incursions, for the other heavies.  "OMG, if they buff Mesmes and Seths, or nerf Gropho's. wewill no longer have that advantage!!!"

For the most part, that is what I see here as far as the negative responses.  You want you arguements to be taken seriously, present DATA that supports your arguements.  Otherwise, it's just opinion.

ATM, Mesmer and Seth are good for farming, though you have to energy transfer the Seth to sustain it, but have little on no role for PVP, due to the inbalance between them and the Gropho.

You pretend as if any "DATA" supports your thinly veiled attempt at "buff me, nerf you" whine, when the rest of us see nothing of the sort. At almost twice the dps, more range (yes, even since you use missioner missiles that give extra range and same dps for comparison, and yes, falloff counts as range), spike dmg, Theolica is on par, if not better, than other two races.

Btw, you use autos on Seth for farming. And Gropho is fine for farming, you just use short range ammo and on yellow rats. Cap is a problem for pve if you fit lasers, but balancing shouldn't be according to pve, but rather pvp. It is almost a non-factor in pvp.

56 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-07-09 23:32:11)

Seems also to be some hangup about the ammo selected for the Analysis, so let's clear that up.  All the ammo selected was NPC ammo, with range bonus, excepting the Mesmer, which does not have an ammo type that increases range.  Cypto ammo, used for the Seth calcs, is also NPC only supplied, and has a damage reduction in return for the extra range, as does the Heat-Ix ammo.

So here are the figues based on all using chemoactive ammo that can be manufactured by players.  All damage amounts are based on the totals for all 6 weapons firing.

Gropho   
Damage - Medium Chemoactive Ballistic Missle   
Chemical    248.4 DPS
Seismic    331.2 DPS
Optimal Range    504.9 m

Seth   
Damage - Medium Chemoactive Energy Cells   
Chemical    199.68 DPS
Thermal    349.44 DPS
Optimal Range    444.5 m

Mesmer   
Chemical    334.08 DPS
Kinetic    584.64 DPS
Optimal Range    393.7 m

the balance is fine taking into account the extremely high fitting skills required to use a gropho effectively than any other mech

58 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-07-09 23:30:49)

Hjmlao wrote:

the balance is fine taking into account the extremely high fitting skills required to use a gropho effectively than any other mech

Same situation with the Seth as well, and the Mesmer, skills that increase reactor CPU, or reduce fitting costs for those attributes, need to be high to fit any heavy mech.

So the statement, also without supporting data, does not alter the analysis.

Edit:  Also, the discussion is not based on how you want to fit a heavy, that will be effected by your skill levels, but about the base attributes, speed, damge, range, and weapon AP consumption vs. recharge, and their impact on the heavy mech performanace.

Lupus Aurelius wrote:
Hjmlao wrote:

Same situation with the Seth as well, and the Mesmer, skills that increase reactor CPU, or reduce fitting costs for those attributes, need to be high to fit any heavy mech.

*edit: Keep it relevant and civil folks, thanks. - DEV Calvin

Cap inject and use range extenders.  Problem solved.

61 (edited by Campana 2011-07-10 21:51:26)

Grophos can also use range extenders and don't need cap injectors. Problem not solved?

I would like to see thelodica dps mechs (not just the ewar) useful in some kind of pvp at least.

Edit: some people replied later re the gropho, so just to clarify - I don't care what happens to the gropho, what I want to see is the seth made useful.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

62 (edited by Crepitus 2011-07-10 01:38:11)

Lupus Aurelius wrote:
Hjmlao wrote:
Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Just because the Seth isnt this flavour of the month in your perception does not mean you should moan about nerfing other heavy mechs with biased statistics to influence your end goal of making the Seth the SUPER OMG I CAN KILL EVERYTHING MECH.

F- for reading comprehesion, we as a species have spent about 6.5 million years to evolve a cognative mind, try actually using it.

cognitive.  you first.

EDIT: best thread summary goes to -->

sabre906 wrote:

tl;dr - Buff me, gimp you. big_smile

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Campana wrote:

Grophos can also use range extenders and don't need cap injectors. Problem not solved?

I would like to see thelodica dps mechs (not just the ewar) useful in some kind of pvp at least.

rumor says that there is a laser mech out there who can tank many other mechs, while still dealing damage,
another rumor says that a single seth stopped a m2s+62nd rampage

and another rumor said, that there are no intrusions fights happening atm.

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

...Why did so many ppl respec to Pelistal?
Why do you not see Seths, or for that matter, many Mesmers, in incursion PVP?...

somehow, i wanna blame CCP for not having Heavy Mechs called "Seth" or "Mesmer" in their game...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Campana wrote:

Well if that nasty Gropho is still a problem maybe try something other than a solo mech to kill it.  2 sensor suppressors on that scawy gropho will make his range advantage useless.

If the game was only heavy mechs vs. heavy mechs, sure the OP might be on to something.  However, there are more than heavy mechs in this game, some of which are designed to neutralize the advantages of other ships (sensor suppressors, demobs and neuts). 

Nice thought experiment OP, but without any practical real world data to support your claims this whole thread is pointless.

65 (edited by Annihilator 2011-07-10 11:56:44)

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Seems also to be some hangup about the ammo selected for the Analysis, so let's clear that up.  All the ammo selected was NPC ammo, with range bonus, excepting the Mesmer, which does not have an ammo type that increases range.  Cypto ammo, used for the Seth calcs, is also NPC only supplied, and has a damage reduction in return for the extra range, as does the Heat-Ix ammo.

So here are the figues based on all using chemoactive ammo that can be manufactured by players.  All damage amounts are based on the totals for all 6 weapons firing.

Gropho   
Damage - Medium Chemoactive Ballistic Missle   
Chemical    248.4 DPS
Seismic    331.2 DPS
Optimal Range    504.9 m

Seth   
Chemical    199.68 DPS
Thermal    349.44 DPS
Optimal Range    444.5 m +118m Falloff

Mesmer   
Chemical    334.08 DPS
Kinetic    584.64 DPS
Optimal Range    393.7 m +70,8m Falloff

please check your math again... something is wrong there.
i get only 411m

66 (edited by Elirian 2011-07-10 12:42:09)

Thelodica mechs certainly seem to be seeing some pvp. Over a quarter of the robots listed on the big fight today were artemis'. There was 1 gropho (the only heavy), although obviously the list didn't include everyone who was involved.

I see what are you doing here Annihilator smile gj in argueing for the sake of argue (you little troll yarr) when lupus is trying to convice you big_smile

anyway you need to watch out cause this disscusion is going backwards repeating same cons and pros.

For the sake of argue smile I am one of those who respec from seths to grophos and I must say that piloting seth was the worse this I could do. Its just lol when you cant deal much dmg because you dont have enought accu even with injectors. When now I can sit back and relax owning everything big_smile

About the falloff: unless you have huge amount of volley dmg you just dont count falloff into you range. Why? God damn I rly need to explain that too? Because you do almost no (lim dmg->0) dmg. 50% dps at 50% of your falloff as you may see here: http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Help:Combat_in_numbers. The "range bonus" you can get from falloff is about 1-2% because after that you get straight line (y = -x).

Our robots are made by Jesus himself with the help of MacGyver and blessed by Chuck Noris

68 (edited by Jane cruz 2011-07-10 14:44:03)

Good lord there are some obstinate people on this forum.

Ok let's look at some of the points made on both sides:

Gropho is OP/Seth is UP:
1) Gropho is faster, has longer range, and the ability to fire it weapons continuously and 50% ignore terrain problems
2) The Seth has a bonus to shields when it isn't even possible to 1) fit a shield fit without gimping the rest of the fit, or 2) utilize the bonus as by the time the shields are needed 2-3 minutes into a fight you are out of AP.

Gropho is fine, Seth would be OP with changes:
1) Missiles do much less damage, and LOS isn't a valid argument because Gropho's don't have a portable hill.
2) Missiles don't have longer range, if you include fall-off
3) If you changed the seth it would be OP
4) If you fit firearms to seth, the AP issue is gone
5) If you nerf the gropho something else would simply take it's place
6) Intrusion PvP never happens and shouldn't be balanced around

Let's address some points brought up:

1) The Seth is NOT OK with a cap injector fit.  From what I understand, you cannot carry more than 3-4 minutes worth of charges & ammo.  Beyond that, a seth is STILL not AP stable with a cap injector fit - meaning it requires support to be somewhat equal to the gropho in a firefight.  Let me emphasize - an injector fit seth DOES NOT make it stable.
1a) firearms are not a solution against gropho's - less range, slows you down more.  It is a solution for soloing, but we are NOT talking about solo seth vs solo gropho.  That's just stupid.

2) Do we not see a problem with the fact that the gropho is faster and has longer range and can continuously fire without carrying a full cargo of cap charges that are gone in 3-5 minutes?  One of these factors needs to change, and just to throw a ballpark number out there, maybe 4-5 m/s speed nerf is in order.  That would give the gropho the role of the longer range sniper, still competitive and better against seth's due to resists, and more heavily countered by faster mesmer's (which fits into rock paper scissors).
2b) Don't include falloff.  If you include falloff you're still looking at the seth dealing about 50% of it's damage around the range at which it get's close to the gropho optimal.

3) The Seth is completely unable to utilize it's shield bonus UNLESS it is a gimmick fit that sits under outposts with autocannon.  Such a gimick fit is also completely countered by a few Ictus'.  Swapping this bonus to resist would not change their viability as gimmick tanks countered by Ictus', but would at least give them something to work with.  An AP bonus could be in order so that it can be at least STABLE when using guns + injector.

4) Anyone who thinks this discussion is in any way related to a SOLO discussion needs to wake up.  As it is, if you have 15 Gropho + 8 support vs 15 gropho/seth/mesmer + 8 support, the 15 gropho's will win every time because of the range, speed, and LOS advantage.  All that needs to chagne is to make the mixed group more competitive.  If someone brings 15 gropho's, you should be able to bring 15 mesmer's to counter and kill them, which ATM you can't.  The goal of the rock paper scissors balance in this game is require diverse squads - which with the Gropho being where it is right now, there is no reason to ever diversify - just put all your non-pelistal pilots into support and win.

"Anyone who thinks this discussion is in any way related to a SOLO discussion needs to wake up.  As it is, if you have 15 Gropho + 8 support vs 15 gropho/seth/mesmer + 8 support, the 15 gropho's will win every time because of the range, speed, and LOS advantage."

This is false. I already pointed that out in one of my posts. And with every point you forget about remote repers, not really being to alpha strike someone in the middle of the battlefield, energy transfering, being able to turn the shields on and off and possibly 1000's of issues you see only in real battles and not on paper.

ps. Why don't you see lemon arguing to have the seth buffed? Never though that practice not always covers with theory?

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

70 (edited by Annihilator 2011-07-10 16:24:29)

Jane cruz wrote:

2) Missiles don't have longer range, if you include fall-off

sorry to short your post down to that.
but correct phrase would be
"Missiles DO have shorter range, even if you DON'T count in falloff".

with lupus example:

ballistic missile = 411m (no bufferzone)
laser = 444m
(more then 100m additional bufferzone where you can deal damage and your weapons won't deactivate)
em gun = 339 (little less then 100m bufferzone)

There are some very good points listed in here and we agree that some changes would be useful. Our main concern is the accumulator instability of the Mesmer and the Seth with the native weapons mainly for PvE applications and the versatility of the shield Gropho at both short and long ranges. Please note here, that the ERP armor as an option was not discussed and is a very good option for these mechs. The inconsistency of the bonuses through the mech lines is also hurting the anal retentive parts of our personalities.

So here is a change proposition package, please discuss:

Seth:

• Shield absorption -» 5% armor resist / lvl

• Armor amount decrease to compensate the resist bonus

• ~15% medium laser accumulator usage decrease

• Base speed increase to 39.6

Gropho:

• Shield absorption bonus -» 5% accumulator recharge, in line with other Pelistal

• Accumulator capacity decrese to compensate for the recharge bonus

Mesmer:

• Falloff bonus -» -5% magnetic weapon accu usage/lvl

• Base speed increase to 44.8

Yagel, Arbalest, Kain:

All turret robots:

• Increase of firing height to get better line of sight

-15% accumulator consumption on medium laser - only thing i agree here.

while for pve i would like the armor resist change on seth - for pvp or fitting possibilities its horror. A seth with all its hitpoints can be almost instant-repaired by a remote rep. make it another resist tank, and i can use a RR camelion to repair it.

(btw, recently i learned that the "armor resist bonus" is missing a word: "passive ...")

IF by any chance all those things get implemented, then i demand an essential change of firearms. because the falloff-bonus of blue bots made them a choice on blue, and their AP consumption a choice for yellow (yes its yellow!)

4 Seth lines started. Bring it please... Oh so very please. big_smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Did some quick calcs...

Yea thats a step in the right direction. But you should also increase to AP usage of missiles (small and medium) to he point where blues and yellows are.

That also requires that you review AC Cannons and Machine guns as they should be no alternative to bot specific small range weapons.

To archive better results:

-30% medium laser accumulator usage decrease
-30% magnetic weapon accu usage/lvl
missiles AP usage * 10

Please dont touch the bot bonuses (yet). The Seth speed modification however would make him prolly as fast as a gropho (cant verify) while still having the LOS issue.

And mesmer will still be able to run from their arch enemy .. the seth.

DEV Calvin wrote:

There are some very good points listed in here and we agree that some changes would be useful. Our main concern is the accumulator instability of the Mesmer and the Seth with the native weapons mainly for PvE applications and the versatility of the shield Gropho at both short and long ranges. Please note here, that the ERP armor as an option was not discussed and is a very good option for these mechs. The inconsistency of the bonuses through the mech lines is also hurting the anal retentive parts of our personalities.

So here is a change proposition package, please discuss:

Seth:

• Shield absorption -» 5% armor resist / lvl

• Armor amount decrease to compensate the resist bonus

• ~15% medium laser accumulator usage decrease

• Base speed increase to 39.6

Gropho:

• Shield absorption bonus -» 5% accumulator recharge, in line with other Pelistal

• Accumulator capacity decrese to compensate for the recharge bonus

Mesmer:

• Base speed increase to 44.8

Yagel, Arbalest, Kain:

All turret robots:

• Increase of firing height to get better line of sight

Wait, so for the Seth and the Gropho you're changing its 3rd bonus, then nullifying that bonus by compensating for the new bonus?  Why not just remove the 3rd bonus then?