Topic: Streets aka Highways aka Partial Automation of Travel

I read the Dev Blog Part 2, so I know what kind of Travel Automation System you guys want to implement. At least I think so.

My similar idea (inspired by XXX):

0. Specified Streets/Highways exist

1. You define a destination (i.e. Landmark, Map Coordinate)

2. Your robot takes the beeline to the very next Street/Highway

3. Your robot follows the Street/Highway towards the nearest point on the Street/Highway in relation to your destination.

So, you don't have to create Waypoints as a player in the first place, manual travel will always be faster and it's not a complete automation.

Nevertheless it's brilliant that you guys intend to introduce some kind of Waypoints. Because the manual traveling is a pain in the ***.

If my post is redundant screw it.

Re: Streets aka Highways aka Partial Automation of Travel

I just read about terraforming. So the idea of static Highways is kind of meh.

Highways already exist and give you a speed bonus.
The basic autopilot system they're working on will allow you to group way points in an order and travel from one to another. No path finding at first so areas with a lot of plants will need either some care or some effort. Most route though should be find due to plant blocking.

There is a web of anti-plant layers covering the islands, so a good waypoint structure should secure clear passage.

We are also thinking about introducing a taxi robot that would spawn at regular intervals at a location and drive to another and then despawn. You could set approach to it and browse killboards or mining charts while it travels. This is only a concept as of yet thoguh.

DEV Calvin wrote:

There is a web of anti-plant layers covering the islands, so a good waypoint structure should secure clear passage.

We are also thinking about introducing a taxi robot that would spawn at regular intervals at a location and drive to another and then despawn. You could set approach to it and browse killboards or mining charts while it travels. This is only a concept as of yet thoguh.

I support this concept, seems is what we need from all this maneuvering through plants and impassable terrain.

RIP PERPETUUM

Make it flying/hover bot like a carryall in Dune big_smile That will allow to care less about plants etc.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086