Re: CIR donation to refugees, newcomers and alike!

+1 for Trojan robots

Beware of Geeks bearing gifts...

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Rodger Wilcoe wrote:

We accept this gift in the spirit with which it was given yarr

I thank you. That is exactly why "we" do these things. The spirit of it.

Syndic is a great leader of CIR and has heart whether some believe or not. I look forward to seeing you all soon enough. Be well and carry some WD-40 in your mechs. NIA is very dusty!

54 (edited by Nidhogg 2011-06-29 01:21:22)

Arga wrote:

+1 for Trojan robots

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeo_Dana … a_ferentes

There seems to be some mistrust about CIR's motives to donate bots. Discarding the possibility that CIR will crawl out of the bots at night to butcher the new players what motives do people think there can be?

Buying loyalty? Syndic is smart enough to realise that this only works with mercenaries, and only as long as you continue to pay them. Since the Nex corporation themselves say they will likely fragment at one point there is no gain in making friends with that corp.

Besides, any ally you need to buy is not an ally that is worth having.

Poaching members? how? by giving bots to them even without them joining your ranks? one of the best ways to get new players to join your corp would be to wave exciting new bots in front of them and tell them its all theirs if they just sign here.....if anything this donation has increased the independence of the new players.

Getting the new corp set up?
it might help, it would mean they can use the bots to get to their feet. Go roaming and  engage in PvP which is something that CIR and others have always been interested in. The faster more players are ready to take the field the more interesting the game becomes.

Ofcourse it might be even simpler, Syndic might just be a big carebear, wanting to help out his fellow players. Those who know him will know how typical that is of him cool

whatever the reason, enjoy the bots, dont blow them up all at once wink

Affiliated with CIR, Not actively playing, not neutral

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

Spoken like a true diplomat....

->You just lost The Game<-

Nidhogg wrote:
Arga wrote:

+1 for Trojan robots

Discarding the possibility that CIR will crawl out of the bots at night to butcher the new players what motives do people think there can be?

I'm actually +1 FOR this idea, I want to crawl out of bots in the middle of the night and slay sparks while they rest safely in their outposts! >:)

Neoxx wrote:

Spoken like a true diplomat....

lol

58 (edited by Dreadnought 2011-06-29 02:52:07)

I for one don't mind a free Rivler mk2 and a Lithus (Yeah I put the lithus back in M2S corp hanger before I took my break from perptuum, did not expect what would happen it while I was gone. sad )

I would however prefer one without bugs installed in every module. tongue

DoH! forgot to post on blackomen.

Nidhogg wrote:

There seems to be some mistrust about CIR's motives to donate bots. Discarding the possibility that CIR will crawl out of the bots at night to butcher the new players what motives do people think there can be?

Half of it is joking around.

The other half is that every action by a competitor is by default hostile. Maybe NeX is not the target but only the tool though tongue

Jelan wrote:

It's obvious what CIR are doing yes, unfortunately my post about it 'disappeared'

Hmm, tinfoil hattery alert

PS. Crushall if you like blobbing and station hugging then good for you, it's a good fit

smile

Nidhogg wrote:

I don't know jack about Perp politics but I can sniff out sophistry like a bloodhound.

Buying loyalty? Syndic is smart enough to realise that this only works with mercenaries, and only as long as you continue to pay them. Since the Nex corporation themselves say they will likely fragment at one point there is no gain in making friends with that corp.

Buying disloyalty would be a more apt conjecture. Give your neighbor enough jackets to cloth half his family and the remainder will look somewhere else for their clothes.

Poaching members? how? by giving bots to them even without them joining your ranks? one of the best ways to get new players to join your corp would be to wave exciting new bots in front of them and tell them its all theirs if they just sign here.....if anything this donation has increased the independence of the new players.

Mmmm...as the drug dealer says, "The first one's free." Once the rush to pvp of this early "boon" has been blown up, the craving for a ride one does not yet have the skills to be effective in will remain.

Getting the new corp set up? it might help, it would mean they can use the bots to get to their feet. Go roaming and  engage in PvP which is something that CIR and others have always been interested in. The faster more players are ready to take the field the more interesting the game becomes.

More PvP is great for everyone. More juicy, unskilled targets is only fun for some...but it makes for great epeen when your MK II Mech gets 4-6 kills against 2 week old lights and assaults.

Of course it might be even simpler, Syndic might just be a big carebear, wanting to help out his fellow players. Those who know him will know how typical that is of him cool
Whatever the reason, enjoy the bots, don't blow them up all at once wink

The value of this generous gift will be determined by how wisely NeX uses it...just as CIR's ministrations to other Corps have provided them with wisdom.

So how do you want the unskilled targets to get skilled? By killing NPC?  And the rush for PVP is already strong in the young ones, just look at the arkhe floods! Even if someone is looking for a new place, CIR has only 6 slots left and we won't increase the cap smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

CIR has only 6 slots left and we won't increase the cap smile

Oooh nice making spots in CIR seem like a rare good smile

CIR is not a good my good sir! It's a way of life! DANCE!
WE ARE THE RUSSIAN DANCING MEN

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

65 (edited by Sutter 2011-06-29 11:01:54)

Norrdec wrote:

So how do you want the unskilled targets to get skilled? By killing NPC?

My suggestion is that they do it wisely and in a manner that will strengthen their Corp. for the long term, not weaken the new bonds they are forging in Perp. There are other ways to utilize the new-found wealth than squandering it for immediate gratification....and destruction.

Among the questions NeX must face is whether it's better to distribute bots to half or less of their members and risk alienating the remainder or use them to generate Corp. capital that can be deployed to provide them with a manufacturing base of their own.

And the rush for PVP is already strong in the young ones, just look at the arkhe floods! Even if someone is looking for a new place, CIR has only 6 slots left and we won't increase the cap smile

Were someone wishing to weaken a foe who has even greater potential than their own, it's only necessary to create disaffection within that opponents ranks, not directly co-opt a part of their membership.

This thread is replete with admonishments to take a particular course of action for a specious reason - Take these bots and start a fight now. Why not? Your going to fracture anyway.

There are other possible, more productive, paths NeX could take.

Sutter wrote:
Nidhogg wrote:

I don't know jack about Perp politics but I can sniff out sophistry like a bloodhound.

Buying disloyalty would be a more apt conjecture. Give your neighbor enough jackets to cloth half his family and the remainder will look somewhere else for their clothes.

Mmmm...as the drug dealer says, "The first one's free." Once the rush to pvp of this early "boon" has been blown up, the craving for a ride one does not yet have the skills to be effective in will remain.

Getting the new corp set up? it might help, it would mean they can use the bots to get to their feet. Go roaming and  engage in PvP which is something that CIR and others have always been interested in. The faster more players are ready to take the field the more interesting the game becomes.

More PvP is great for everyone. More juicy, unskilled targets is only fun for some...but it makes for great epeen when your MK II Mech gets 4-6 kills against 2 week old lights and assaults.

Of course it might be even simpler, Syndic might just be a big carebear, wanting to help out his fellow players. Those who know him will know how typical that is of him cool
Whatever the reason, enjoy the bots, don't blow them up all at once wink

The value of this generous gift will be determined by how wisely NeX uses it...just as CIR's ministrations to other Corps have provided them with wisdom.

I find it absolutely horrific how you are thinking. We decided to make this donation to the new guys because we want them to enjoy the game more and not ragequit. This is a rare moment in Perpetuum's history where all of us old players should be banding together to give the newcomers a proper welcome and making them at home in the game! smile

That mindset of being some evil manipulating entity I will happily leave to someone else, and judging by what I've read so far you're far more qualified then me anyway.

TL;DR

Donation: Something you are giving away, for nothing in return. I am sure NeX can confirm that we have never asked for anything in return for the help we have given.

So plz, leave the tinfoil hats in the closet. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

67 (edited by Eta Carinea 2011-06-29 12:48:22)

Not wanting to miss an opportunity

I am not a member of NeX, and feel that i am missing out on a golden opportunity of "vet loving" i am willing to accept any and all donations from any corp that feels CIR has the upper hand here. NIC will be taken with particular love and affection, but any donation of any in game item is also gratefully received.

Syndic wrote:

I find it absolutely horrific how you are thinking. We decided to make this donation to the new guys because we want them to enjoy the game more and not ragequit. This is a rare moment in Perpetuum's history where all of us old players should be banding together to give the newcomers a proper welcome and making them at home in the game! smile

You may have misunderstood my post or taken something I said to be directed at you personally or at CIR. It wasn't. I do not believe the post I responded to was even written by a CIR Corp. member, was it?

Instead, it was aimed at giving NeX members a sober view of how to value and use CIR's largesse and what some of the potential negative outcomes could be here - outcomes which are no different than in the game they just came from - considering that Perp. supports as varied and complex an environment.

I applaud CIR for their generosity but I take exception with the numerous suggestions in this thread that they waste it either for the instant gratification of their members or that of other Corps. My post was in response to one of these that, I felt, was an attempt to deflect NeX members from having a thoughtful, internal debate about their options.

69 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-06-29 15:09:41)

To everyone: too lazy to quote out every post I'm touching on here..

Considering assault bots are currently selling between 800k - 1mil on the Alpha islands right now, the number of mechs being donated is being undervalued in this thread, I think.  Not simply for bots, but also modules, though thankfully the ammunition market is finally beginning to step toward some stablisation.  At this moment the new industrialists (all of them, not just members of NeX) simply still do not have the skills yet to produce bots, so the market is choking.

If CIR is donating these bots to encourage NeX on the road to PvP, PvP will be encouraged.  That is their statement on the matter and, as far as I have been informed, we are taking wholly at face value.

CIR has certainly gotten our attention with this act of generosity, and I for one appreciate their actions.  The idea of someone "cleaning out a hangar" is not something to scoff at.  If I needed a coat, and someone gave me an old one from their closet, I would not complain that the store-tags were missing.

I would ask that you contact Gweee, if you have not already, to handle this.

Edited to add - "Jackets for only half" - you assume that all of us will be walking in the cold.

- Winter

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

70 (edited by Nidhogg 2011-06-29 15:38:35)

Sutter wrote:
Syndic wrote:

You may have misunderstood my post or taken something I said to be directed at you personally or at CIR. It wasn't. I do not believe the post I responded to was even written by a CIR Corp. member, was it?

Well, Im not officialy in the CIR corporation but Ive worked with CIR in Warhammer&was their head diplomat in Mortal Online.

I dont play perpetuum all that much at the moment. So it would be rather a waste to let me take up a slot in the corporation. 

So yeah, Im affiliated with CIR, but the post I made has been made solely by me. Not in conjunction with CIR staff. Syn generally gets itchy if anyone suggest carebearism.

I can assure you that Syndic doesnt dictate my posts, I remember in Mortal when Syn was a bit upset when I revealed that the leader of CIR was a woman. That seemed to lead to a lot of misunderstandings, but on the bright side: it did mean that Syn was less reluctant to talk on the radio yarr

Affiliated with CIR, Not actively playing, not neutral

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

I've been trying to contact Gweee, but couldn't find him in-game or on IRC (someone said there they haven't seen him in a day or two, I forget who it was sorry). If anyone from NeX officer/D-CEO staff could get in touch with me, we have transported all the donation stuff to ICS-Alpha and it is ready for transfer.

CIR Complaint Form

72 (edited by Goblin 2011-06-29 16:45:30)

73 (edited by Syndic 2011-06-29 17:47:50)

The donation has been delivered to Winter Solstice of NeX, thank you lovely guys(and girl) for letting me on your TS3 server it was a pleasure to meet you all!

Good luck and welcome to Perpetuum! big_smile

CIR Complaint Form

we have a ts3 server?  now that I didnt know.

Slavyn Liko wrote:

we have a ts3 server?  now that I didnt know.

It's right on the Corp description. tongue

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.