76 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-27 21:36:44)

Re: My concern for the game

Vorgrim Scout wrote:

Maybe the problem is people who are scared of competing against other people and not that games are too "hardcore".

What you are trying to do is project your own insecurities and possible deficiencies on a small team making a game for gamers. Gamers who actually enjoy competition as they themeslves obviously do if the current content of Perpetuum is anything to go by.

You just need to accept that all games are not made for all people and pick one which you will enjoy, rather than trying to change one that obviously isn't geared towards your playstyle. I mean that in the nicest possible way. I don't think you are less of a person because you don't want to pvp, it can be stressful, but that stress is what makes some gamers tick, myself included.

hehehe you ammuse me. I hope you stick around smile

here's and FYI

I am a PvPer. I do not however go out and kill everyone I see just because the game mechanics allow it. If my corp marks you as an enemy I will hunt you down(ummm not you specifically Vorgrim Scout just corp enemy's in general),  skin you alive and hang your skull above the door to my house however. Before i am done my corp's enemies will be cowering in their bunkers preying i don't find them. big_smile

77 (edited by Lucid Con 2010-11-27 21:30:43)

Well, I pvp and I carebear at times and there is something to having friends help you carebear in pvp areas...

But despite how you feel about the op I think there is a valid point that is getting lost.

It could happen eventually that only major zerg alliances and corps will own the islands - the average solo carebear will have to join those alliances to carebear in those areas - creating even larger zerg forces

What I like about eve is there is many opportunities for the solo carebear in 0.0 space - I have been there running shipments with my heart pounding making isk and losing isk. But I always felt if I planned well and used my intellect I could get out alive and with isk.

Time will tell if the correct balance of pvp and carebear areas works in perpetuum. If there is only room for complete domination of large zerg/alliance corps and no room for soloers to squeak in and out while earning isk - I do forsee negative outcomes. But only time will tell.

Thing about eve versus perpetuum's is eve has the 3rd or 4th dimension - perpetuum only has the 2nd dimension, a flat ground and there is only so much of it. Eve has so many tucked away systems and wormholes make thriving in high risk areas more likely

CenDre wrote:

DIZI is the only one who is understanding what I have said.

Many of us understand DIZI and you, the thing people argue with you over is that you both think....

"I was able to play EVE despite it has same PvP problems" quoted from DIZI.

This is a PvP game, it does not have these "PvP problems" it is a feature of the game that is a big draw for many, as several people have said, this is a niche game, it and EvE cater to the more hardcore players that WANT that PvP experience.

You say; "Not a single PvP orient game out today has attracted more than a few thousand die hard pvpers. Where are those games now or will be soon. Broke and free to play."

EvE is quite successful, most reviewers compare many other semi-or full PvP games to EvE because it is successful. EvE has a higher retention rate than most other games, because so much of the content is player driven (which means mostly PvP and conflict driven). People have a hand in what happens and the game history rather than running scripted PvE instances, missions, and content over and over until they are mind-numb.
It does not have the numbers that WoW does, it never will, it WANTS to be in the niche it is in, Perpetuum is looking for a similar niche.
Do not even try to make the "WoW has it right, these companies should all try to be like WoW" argument either. You can get a cheeseburger at McDonalds, but there are other restaurants that sell cheeseburgers, not all should mimic McDonalds. McDonalds is not right for everyone, all the time, neither is WoW, and all the other generic will-inevitably-get-boring PvE games out there.

You and DIZI are coming into Mexican restaurant, demanding a 99 cent cheeseburger then you wonder why people tell you you are in the wrong place.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

79 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-28 01:33:05)

Zhyntil wrote:
CenDre wrote:

Many of us understand DIZI and you, the thing people argue with you over is that you both think....

This is a PvP game, it does not have these "PvP problems" it is a feature of the game that is a big draw for many, as several people have said, this is a niche game, it and EvE cater to the more hardcore players that WANT that PvP experience.

You say; "Not a single PvP orient game out today has attracted more than a few thousand die hard pvpers. Where are those games now or will be soon. Broke and free to play."

EvE is quite successful, most reviewers compare many other semi-or full PvP games to EvE because it is successful. EvE has a higher retention rate than most other games, because so much of the content is player driven (which means mostly PvP and conflict driven). People have a hand in what happens and the game history rather than running scripted PvE instances, missions, and content over and over until they are mind-numb.
It does not have the numbers that WoW does, it never will, it WANTS to be in the niche it is in, Perpetuum is looking for a similar niche.
Do not even try to make the "WoW has it right, these companies should all try to be like WoW" argument either. You can get a cheeseburger at McDonalds, but there are other restaurants that sell cheeseburgers, not all should mimic McDonalds. McDonalds is not right for everyone, all the time, neither is WoW, and all the other generic will-inevitably-get-boring PvE games out there.

You and DIZI are coming into Mexican restaurant, demanding a 99 cent cheeseburger then you wonder why people tell you you are in the wrong place.

Nitch games die slow agonizing deaths... and are usually in debt when they do. Eve is the only exception I know of.

Eve is not your average game. Eve is not only a pvp game it has a HUGE amount of pve content. IE worm hole space is mostly PvE by the shear fact it would be near imposable to wage ware there due to the difficulty of supply chains. Hell wormhole space is hard enough to supply just for PvE. Eve is in a class by itself. It is so far above and beyond all other games you can not compare them to it.

I do not view Perpetuum as a pvp game. Sure it has a pvp element but its not exclusive and if it were the game would never get off the ground.

This game has the potential to draw in a lot more players and the pvp base is not big enough. If this game caters to the pvp marker it will be dead in a year or less. All those hard core game hoping pvpers will get bored pretty damn fast as they always do.

However if the DEVS can tap just a tiny portion of the pve market they game will explode. Heres a pure example

Purely fictional numbers with the simple idea of illustraiting a point.

Lets say we have 50,000 gamers
PvPers make up 1% of the population
PvEers make up 90%
Semi PvRers make up 9%

Now would you rather have all of your PvPers and semi PvPers and none of the PvEers
because this is what I am hearing from most of you. this would equal 5,000 subs

My proposal
All of the PvPers and Semi PvPers AND 30% of the PvEers
this would be 20,000 paying accounts.

How much do you think the DEVs can do with the cash flow from 20,000 paying account  75% of which come from the PVE player base.

I am willing to bet that with $200,000 a month they could quite their full time jobs and make Perpetuum their Full time jobs and we the gamers have nothing to lose from that.

Is it sinking in at alllll. Do you understand what I am saying.

The game needs PvE gamers to make money plain and simple. I don't think there are enough Pvpers around to make the game feasibly profitable but you can bet your *** there are enough PvEers.

My simple solution to the issue of cramming PvP and PvE players in close quarters is don't give them more space to enjoy the aspect of the game they chose. Don't change the game at all just add space. The Devs can add PvE content later, maybe in a future expansion. Eve did it with wormhole space.

I also think it is up to all of use to spread the work and suck people into the game so the game will be around a year from now so we can keep having fun.

I'm doing my part got 3 friends already signing on.

CenDre wrote:

PvEers make up 90%
Semi PvRers make up 9%

N
My proposal

How much do you think the DEVs can do with the cash flow from 20,000 paying account  75% of which come from the PVE player base.

The game needs PvE gamers to make money plain and simple. I don't think there are enough Pvpers around to make the game feasibly profitable but you can bet your *** there are enough PvEers.

My simple solution to the issue of cramming PvP and PvE players in close quarters is don't give them more space to enjoy the aspect of the game they chose. Don't change the game at all just add space. The Devs can add PvE content later, maybe in a future expansion. Eve did it with wormhole space.

I also think it is up to all of use to spread the work and suck people into the game so the game will be around a year from now so we can keep having fun.

"Purely fictional numbers" that make no point because they are as fake and made up as your first set of crap numbers.....

We have proven most of your claims as false, start using facts.

Done with arguments with you, the terms, argument, numbers, and your sense of reality changes everytime anyone makes a point, I do NOT understand you because you are not even lucid in your own arguments, I hope i never understand someone that constantly creates their own reality. I cede the field to your obvious supremacy in the field of illusion.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Zhyntil wrote:
CenDre wrote:

PvEers make up 90%
Semi PvRers make up 9%

N
My proposal

"Purely fictional numbers" that make no point because they are as fake and made up as your first set of crap numbers.....

We have proven most of your claims as false, start using facts.

Done with arguments with you, the terms, argument, numbers, and your sense of reality changes everytime anyone makes a point, I do NOT understand you because you are not even lucid in your own arguments, I hope i never understand someone that constantly creates their own reality. I cede the field to your obvious supremacy in the field of illusion.

hmmmm the light still didn't turn on huh.

CenDre wrote:

hmmmm the light still didn't turn on huh.

There's plenty of cash from the PvPers. Plennnnnnty of cash.

I haven't played a PvE MMO in a while yet I have two accounts here.

Eve had about the same things to do at launch as Perpetuum does but it grew into a success. Unlike a large and expensive studio product this game doesn't need a massive number of subs to survive.

If the devs keep improving the game, keep their costs down and slowly gather and retain more subs it could certainly grow in a similar fashion to how Eve did.

There are many factors that go into why they dont need a huge number of subscriptions to survive:

- Hungary has lower cost of living than average  (so I hear)
- Client doesnt demand large amounts of bandwidth, no publisher needed yet.
- No advertising.  May lead to less total subscriptions, but could be a net gain in the end.  Word of mouth and website interviews/reviews/spotlights likely bring in more than enough traffic.
- Small team of 10 in a very small office.
- They survive off of cheap beer/vodka and discarded restaurant bread.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

You guys are getting massively trolled.

People stupid enough to share the ops attitude and opinions do exist, but they would have never come to a game like this in the first place.

86 (edited by Hadouken 2010-11-28 15:23:46)

CenDre wrote:

Not one of you are getting the point and i am done trying to explain it.

Well, you said

"I am sure we can all agree there are a few diff play styles ...PvE, Achievers, Explorers, Crafters, PvPers

WE can also agree that the first 4 play styles can and do play well together and get along well enough to make a game work.

We can also agree that none of the first four play styles gamers(hear after to be respectfully called carebears) work well with PvPers. "

Thing is, Pve, achiever, explorers, crafters, AND Pvp'ers actually work together extremely well in this game. 

The economy requires people from each catagory to work together in order to function properly.

Kroth wrote:

I'm a carebear but I like swimming with sharks. Stop making generalisations about 'carebears' some of us also accept the risks in a PvP game and find it adds excitement. Just need to approach the game for what it is and play it to its full.

Being one of those horrible CareBears from another game... EVE... ^^ I must say that they are pretty much on target. CCP is VERY pro PvP, yet they have been forced to evolve Concord to its current state, and to develop the high sec ROE as they exist today.  Why? Simple. To protect their business model.  They have admitted themselves that well more than half(something like 60% plus range) never leave high sec.

That's in a VERY PvP centric game.  Some players may be a mix of PvP/PvE. Many are not.  I personally have had much more than my fill of gank fest games, and simply will not play them. I had written off this game, when I first heard of it, because of that. It wasn't until I ran across a forum post on MMORPG that mentioned that PvE was possible that I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

But unless this reality is kept in mind, the Dev's will be slitting their own throats. Sure, go big time PvP, but keep in mind the CareBear reality that exists. CCP has done that, and look at EVE's progress.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Vexrak wrote:

You guys are getting massively trolled.

People stupid enough to share the ops attitude and opinions do exist, but they would have never come to a game like this in the first place.

Almost true. I'd written this game off as just another gank fest myself.  But the lesson of EVE and its player base statistics tells the tale.  If the Dev's want to remain a small niche game, by all means have a total focus on PvP. On the other hand, if they want to grow into something like EVE, then learn from their lessons in regards to PvE and PvP.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

89 (edited by Jerokane 2010-11-29 13:25:26)

Zhyntil wrote:
CenDre wrote:

I guess it must come as a shock to you that the vast majority of EVE players are so called PVE carebears hanging around in High Sec space (recent numbers showing that about 95% of the players are hanging around in High Sec Space).

CCP tried desperately to get more of their population to PVP by bringing PVP to High Sec space with Factional Warfare...... and failed.

0.0 space is vast and barren of players.  You got the occasional large PVP zerg now and then between big Alliances.
But mostly it's the ocasional pirate player trying to jump on the unaware noob exploring 0.0 space.

I have been involved in 0.0 space Alliance warfare myself and I found it absolutely boring as hell. They were just lagging zerg fests. That's it.
Not to mention that you could easily travel dozens and dozens of 0.0 systems without encountering a single soul.

I had more thrilling PVP experiences in low sec space, running into pirate players, then I ever had with those largscale Alliance zergfests, wich most of the time were nothing but hours and hours of "a sit and wait for something to happen" game.

High Sec space in EVE however is always crammed and crawling with players. Hundreds and hundreds in each system.

That's why CCP came up with Worm Holes to create more engaging PVE content and now keeps cranking out more and more diverse PVE content the past year or two. And will continue to do so.
And that's why they also work on Incarnia and release real player avatars.

Just face it. If we like it or not. PVP only players are the tiny minority in the big MMO scheme of things.
Most MMO players are just simply Carebears, or people like me, who like both PVE and PVP!

Most importantly, that without these so called PVE carebears, this game would die instantly, just like EVE Online would.
Or do you just want to fly / ride around in starter noob ships / bots all the time? As that would be the only thing available to you.

Cheers

Without Carebears, PvPers can't play in a game like EvE or Perpetuum ^_^

Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

All your points are invalid, Conan said so.

I do think that PvP in perp will be a lot more common for various reasons when compared to EvE:

- No warping, safespots or any of the like. Just take a fast bot into the beta isles and you should atleast be able to find players relatively quickly. In EvE you spend hours looking for a fight that lasted minutes at most.
- No implants, pods or SP lost on death. If you die you loose what you fight in, nothing more and nothing less. You don't have to decide between either risking extremely expensive implants or making your skills train slower. You can take a light bot into a PvP area and risk just that and nothing more. Here you can do low risk, low reward PvP. In EvE all PvP seems high risk, no matter the reward.

I think/hope that once the basic light bot market is up and running and people start earning millions of NIC per hour we'll see a lot of cheap bots near the beta isle entrances ( on either side of em ) just killing each other for *** and giggles.

This will then hopefully provide a proper stepping stone into more serious PvP deeper into the beta isles. A stepping stone that EvE mostly lacked save for putting alts into FW or RvB.

That for me is the reason why I'm mostly playing Perp. I think the PvP will be a lot easier to find and a lot more accesible.

Not to turn this into a PvE vs PvP thread, because thats not its intent. But, the OP has several good points.

Although, I strongly disgaree with her assertion that 99% of the gaming population is PVE  and <1% is pvp. The fact is, 99% of the population is like me and is somewhere in the middle. People want both. That said, the OP is right about it in general because PvP is nice but a VAST majority of people spend their time doing MOSTLY PvE.

EVE has always been a sucessful game. But the populations didnt skyrocket until more recently when the added PvE content was implemented.

Unfortunately, PvP'ers tend to be most vocal in forums. They are a very vocal minority.

94 (edited by BigCountry 2010-11-29 18:41:57)

Gobla wrote:

I do think that PvP in perp will be a lot more common for various reasons when compared to EvE:

- No warping, safespots or any of the like. Just take a fast bot into the beta isles and you should atleast be able to find players relatively quickly. In EvE you spend hours looking for a fight that lasted minutes at most.
- No implants, pods or SP lost on death. If you die you loose what you fight in, nothing more and nothing less. You don't have to decide between either risking extremely expensive implants or making your skills train slower. You can take a light bot into a PvP area and risk just that and nothing more. Here you can do low risk, low reward PvP. In EvE all PvP seems high risk, no matter the reward.

I think/hope that once the basic light bot market is up and running and people start earning millions of NIC per hour we'll see a lot of cheap bots near the beta isle entrances ( on either side of em ) just killing each other for *** and giggles.

This will then hopefully provide a proper stepping stone into more serious PvP deeper into the beta isles. A stepping stone that EvE mostly lacked save for putting alts into FW or RvB.

That for me is the reason why I'm mostly playing Perp. I think the PvP will be a lot easier to find and a lot more accesible.

x2

Good statements. I agree.

[img]http://www.cryptostudios.com/PO/Sigs/BC.jpg[/img]

serenekaos wrote:

Do not want.

greater risk = greater reward. If you don't want to get ganked, bring friends or stay home. They will most likely add content on both sides of the PvP/PvE spectrum. But for an indie game what they have now as a core is absolutely fantastic.

I hear this quote ALL the time from people who like to gank because they dont have tthe balls to go 1on1. The above formula is flawed and flawed badly because it doesnt reward those who put in the effort. The formula should always be Greater Risk/ Greater Effort=Greater Reward.

In perpetuum online your a PVPer whether you like it or not.

Cons wrote:

Not to turn this into a PvE vs PvP thread, because thats not its intent. But, the OP has several good points.

Although, I strongly disgaree with her assertion that 99% of the gaming population is PVE  and <1% is pvp. The fact is, 99% of the population is like me and is somewhere in the middle. People want both. That said, the OP is right about it in general because PvP is nice but a VAST majority of people spend their time doing MOSTLY PvE.

EVE has always been a sucessful game. But the populations didnt skyrocket until more recently when the added PvE content was implemented.

Unfortunately, PvP'ers tend to be most vocal in forums. They are a very vocal minority.

This IS a PVP vs. PVE thread, masquerading as "concern for the game".  The PVE content in EVE is still mostly garbage.  Even in High Sec, War Decs are where the game is.  Without PVP, there would be no player drama, and player drama is what makes EVE fun.

Jerokane wrote:

I guess it must come as a shock to you that the vast majority of EVE players are so called PVE carebears hanging around in High Sec space (recent numbers showing that about 95% of the players are hanging around in High Sec Space).

CCP tried desperately to get more of their population to PVP by bringing PVP to High Sec space with Factional Warfare...... and failed.

0.0 space is vast and barren of players.  You got the occasional large PVP zerg now and then between big Alliances.
But mostly it's the ocasional pirate player trying to jump on the unaware noob exploring 0.0 space.

I have been involved in 0.0 space Alliance warfare myself and I found it absolutely boring as hell. They were just lagging zerg fests. That's it.
Not to mention that you could easily travel dozens and dozens of 0.0 systems without encountering a single soul.

I had more thrilling PVP experiences in low sec space, running into pirate players, then I ever had with those largscale Alliance zergfests, wich most of the time were nothing but hours and hours of "a sit and wait for something to happen" game.

High Sec space in EVE however is always crammed and crawling with players. Hundreds and hundreds in each system.

That's why CCP came up with Worm Holes to create more engaging PVE content and now keeps cranking out more and more diverse PVE content the past year or two. And will continue to do so.

Just face it. If we like it or not. PVP only players are the tiny minority in the big MMO scheme of things.
Most MMO players are just simply Carebears, or people like me, who like both PVE and PVP!

Most importantly, that without these so called PVE carebears, this game would die instantly, just like EVE Online would.
Or do you just want to fly / ride around in starter noob ships / bots all the time? As that would be the only thing available to you.

Cheers

First, You or Wraith (or both) are making up numbers.....95% stay in high sec???? really????.....oh, and hundreds and hundreds of people in each system in high sec? What do you travel only to Jita in high sec?,
Making up numbers seem common in this thread, as i have said to others, use facts.

Second, i have said a few times that i am a carebear, not sure if you missed that or even read more than the last page or two (apologies if you did). My comments in the last page or two of this thread are in response to obviously BS numbers, claims, and assertions, stating that PvP players are an incredibly tiny percentage of the population of these games (i cannot say exactly how many, the number of PvPers in Perp has changed from .3 players to 3 or 4 in this thread, i lose count)and that PvP is a "problem" that games such as EvE and Perp needs to deal with so the real gamers (over 90%) in these games can play the way it should be.

Third, I totally agree with you about lowsec in EvE, lowsec is far more dangerous than nullsec, when making mad dashes hauling various merchandise i am on high adrenaline pushing through low, and relax  a bit (only a bit) by just dropping into null. What point all this has to do with the original discussion i do not know, other than to show i know what you mean......oh, and to ask, why are null sec alliance fights lag-fests? If very few were there then there would be no more lag than in the high sec systems that have hundreds of players in them.........oh, wait, it is because there are so many ships, so many people shooting, warping in/out, gating in, etc. that you often are dead for ten minutes before even finding out you died.......

Quit blowing your numbers out of proportion, i actually agree with much of your point, and even some of the OP's point, But both are so far out on the extremes that you hurt what you are trying to gain.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Zhyntil wrote:
Jerokane wrote:

Cheers

First, You or Wraith (or both) are making up numbers.....95% stay in high sec???? really????.....oh, and hundreds and hundreds of people in each system in high sec? What do you travel only to Jita in high sec?,
Making up numbers seem common in this thread, as i have said to others, use facts.

Second, i have said a few times that i am a carebear, not sure if you missed that or even read more than the last page or two (apologies if you did). My comments in the last page or two of this thread are in response to obviously BS numbers, claims, and assertions, stating that PvP players are an incredibly tiny percentage of the population of these games (i cannot say exactly how many, the number of PvPers in Perp has changed from .3 players to 3 or 4 in this thread, i lose count)and that PvP is a "problem" that games such as EvE and Perp needs to deal with so the real gamers (over 90%) in these games can play the way it should be.

Third, I totally agree with you about lowsec in EvE, lowsec is far more dangerous than nullsec, when making mad dashes hauling various merchandise i am on high adrenaline pushing through low, and relax  a bit (only a bit) by just dropping into null. What point all this has to do with the original discussion i do not know, other than to show i know what you mean......oh, and to ask, why are null sec alliance fights lag-fests? If very few were there then there would be no more lag than in the high sec systems that have hundreds of players in them.........oh, wait, it is because there are so many ships, so many people shooting, warping in/out, gating in, etc. that you often are dead for ten minutes before even finding out you died.......

Quit blowing your numbers out of proportion, i actually agree with much of your point, and even some of the OP's point, But both are so far out on the extremes that you hurt what you are trying to gain.

First. It was not an attack to you. I just quoted you for the sake of discussion.

Second. I didn't make those numbers up. A CCP developer himself did in one of his blogs some time ago. And why they suddenly spend conciderable more resources on creating new and more engaging PVE content.
As they finally draw their own conclusions that you can't force people to PVP (what they tried with Factional Warfare in High Sec). People either keep ignoring it or they quit.

Cheers

100 (edited by Soumya Sivan 2010-11-30 11:06:16)

smile I have absolutely nothing better to do and to be honest, I'm typing this, because I am very lazy and I need to go to work in another hour. I am just whiling away time. smile

Now, on to more serious things...

Let's talk about facts, which we can judge. Of late, one of the GMs announced in the world chat that the highest number of simultaneously logged in players was 900, approximately. It was a little more than that, but we'll round it off for now.

Let's assume that a monthly subscription is followed by all 900 accounts. That comes to a grand total of approximately $9000.

Now, in none of these 'will this game fail, due to lack of subscriptions' threads have I ever read anyone quoting actual operation and maintenance figures, at least for the servers.

Could someone please tell us, for the love of all that is holy, good, and sensible, what it costs to run a set-up like Perpetuum Online? Discount the developer's salaries and make an approximate guess of monthly costs, based on actual experience of running and paying for servers on your part. It would be truly enlightening for a person like me, who has never seen such facts stated in any of these threads before.

With regards and best wishes,

Soumya Sivan.

P.S: The post about EVE player base concentrations in high-security space is accurate. I have read the post from the developers of CCP, myself. Not that anyone against that statistic would care. But, still, it is true. Most of CCP's vault is filled by the wallets of the peaceful.

P.P.S: Secondly, I whole-heartedly agree that aggressive, head hunters are a minority of the entire gaming world and add that they are a minority of the human race, as well. I also concur with the assessment - they are the most vocal and active among all of us.

God bless you all!