Re: My concern for the game

as of now. i dont see an issue with tis. more islands later with more/different content is inevitable. it woll happen and lets hope its good stuff. my experience so far with beta islands is good. plenty of room to stay hiden if not to busy. i am in a corp that does all aspects of the game. i must say this though. if a small grp is out lookin to gank someone they will haveno problems searching a whole island in less than 20 minutes. tha hs the potential to b very bad or very good in the future dependimg on what u rdoin atm. not sure what a fix could be though. when alot of corps r bunched together out there and we all in mechs. i dont really expect to see anyone from alpha trying to mine or rat in beta.so they will be somewhat segregated which will limit their access to game content.

I like separation of pve and pvp. Getting pvp'd while your pveing is lame. Don't get me wrong I like to pvp, I'd spend 1/3 of my time pvping if it was at all fun.

Cendre just lost the thread with the %s she just posted.

If you think pvpers living on beta (not f*ding* bate) are .05% that would be less tha 10 players, assuming we have under 2000 active players.  I'm sure you realize there's many more living full time on beta, not considering those who frequent beta but not living from a beta outpost.

You failed so hard here.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

rockfist wrote:

if a small grp is out lookin to gank someone they will haveno problems searching a whole island in less than 20 minutes.

Exactly my point. With the 20 min time frame per island you can scout the entire pvp capable game works in under 2 hours. This is why i say the world is to small and needs to be enlarged.

Lege wrote:

I like separation of pve and pvp. Getting pvp'd while your pveing is lame. Don't get me wrong I like to pvp, I'd spend 1/3 of my time pvping if it was at all fun.

More islands would help to localize pvp making it so not everyone is getting ganked 10 times a day or until they have not bots left to pilot.

31 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 22:37:47)

Neoxx wrote:

Cendre just lost the thread with the %s she just posted.

If you think pvpers living on beta (not f*ding* bate) are .05% that would be less tha 10 players, assuming we have under 2000 active players.  I'm sure you realize there's many more living full time on beta, not considering those who frequent beta but not living from a beta outpost.

You failed so hard here.

Most certainly not bro..... at this time the game probably does not have any pve players and if it does you can bet most are deciding not to keep playing. Most everyone in game now fall into the semi pvp or pvp category.

the percentages are more a guess on the population of gamers world wide (tens of millions of players)not based on numbers of players in this one little game(infinitesimal 2000 optimistically) . It is my intention to simply point out that the VAST majority of players world wide are none pvpers and that every game ever published that depended on the "pvp market" has failed due to lack of subscribers.

CenDre wrote:

The game world is to small and it will cram the pvp and pve people together enough so that the true pve players the ones who NEVER indulge in pvp will not pay to play this game.

You are still making blanket statements you cannot possibly back up.

CenDre the game is currently 26 hours old. 20 hours if you count in the rollback. Isn't it a bit early to start preaching the end of the world based on completely fictional statistics?

How about wait and see for atleast 2 weeks, probably more like a month and see how the game fares before making any huge changes?

Give all the players some time to get a feel of the game and give the devs some time to get a feel of the players.

Maybe you're right and in 2 weeks people will be whining all over the forums about getting ganked all day, then the devs can react based on actual numbers and actual facts. Instead of a single player's claim that 94,05% of the player base will never ever PvP, 5% of the players sometimes PvP and 0,05% of the players always PvP. With an apparent 0,9% of the population staring at their login-screens all day long.

Wait and see, give the game some time. And yeah it sucks when devs aren't able to fix problems before they come up or right after they do, but the alternative of them fixing things that aren't even broken is much worse.

Amlodhi wrote:
CenDre wrote:

The game world is to small and it will cram the pvp and pve people together enough so that the true pve players the ones who NEVER indulge in pvp will not pay to play this game.

You are still making blanket statements you cannot possibly back up.

Its my opinion more than a statement. I would love to be proven wrong ...it would make me very happy.

35 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 22:49:31)

Gobla wrote:

CenDre the game is currently 26 hours old. 20 hours if you count in the rollback. Isn't it a bit early to start preaching the end of the world based on completely fictional statistics?

How about wait and see for atleast 2 weeks, probably more like a month and see how the game fares before making any huge changes?

Give all the players some time to get a feel of the game and give the devs some time to get a feel of the players.

Maybe you're right and in 2 weeks people will be whining all over the forums about getting ganked all day, then the devs can react based on actual numbers and actual facts. Instead of a single player's claim that 94,05% of the player base will never ever PvP, 5% of the players sometimes PvP and 0,05% of the players always PvP. With an apparent 0,9% of the population staring at their login-screens all day long.

Wait and see, give the game some time. And yeah it sucks when devs aren't able to fix problems before they come up or right after they do, but the alternative of them fixing things that aren't even broken is much worse.

The coolest part about this game is the DEVs total dedication to the player base and the supper speed with which they can, and do and have made changes to the game. If people start complaining like i think they will it will be easy for the DEVs to add more islands in short order.

I have full confidence that when the issue does become prominent they WILL fix it...and fast.

So if any of you are reading this thread fear not the DEVs are awesome and they will be there.

36 (edited by Zhyntil 2010-11-26 22:53:42)

CenDre wrote:

Here is my definition of the three play styles I think are relevant to this thread:

PvP style = people willing to go out and fight and lose bots every single day without end. .05% of gamer population

Semi pvp style = people that prefer the day to day safety of the Alpha islands but on occasion will venture out to the Bate islands but will run from fights if attacked. they accept the cost of possible destruction. 5% of gamer population

PvE style = people who never pvp, don't want to be attacked and do not accept the cost of a lost bot lightly and prefer the safty of the Alpha Islands 100% of the times. These people never want to be blown up by other players and will find other games to play as a result. 94.05% of gamer population.

Where do you get your numbers from? They seem suspiciously like, mmmmm, a guess of what you think or want them to be......this game, EvE and a few others would have highly different numbers using these categories you made up. I mention EvE in this because a large number of people here are from EvE or used to be players of EvE.

.05% of the population is PvP? are you seriously saying that there are only 0.3 PvP players in this game? and 30 semi? There has been a peak number of users of approx. 600 according to several sources.
Get a sense of reality, don't spout off made up numbers, at least try to stick close to some semblance of truth, and then you might, just might, get a bit of credibility. I highly doubt it though since you are ranting about how bad PvP and PvP players are in a PvP game.
Maybe this is not the game for you, perhaps Hello Kitty online or SecondLife is more your speed.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

I agree with CenDre that PvP and PvE players needs to be kept somewhat separate. I just don't disagree with his suggestions to fix it.

It's crowded right now because the majority of the playerbase is hugging the the starter terminal. The majority is using less than 20% of the current terrain on the starter islands.

Doing lvl 2 missions on Daoden today I only saw two other players for like 4 hours. Adding new islands is not the way to go (yet)

CanDre, your primary flaw (aside from overgeneralizing, making appeals to an authority that doesn't exist, being presumptuous about what others want, and a host of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors) is that you do not account for the fact that Perpetuum is a niche game. Perpetuum is not made for people satisfied with WoW. Perpetuum is, by its nature, a game made to appeal to a minority of players who do not have trouble with at least occasional PvP being forced on them.

I may be incorrect--I don't know what the devs want out of the game's design--but from what I've seen the message is pretty clear: Perpetuum is made for a small population of dedicated people who like a living economy and a PvP-rich world.

as of now. i dont see an issue with tis. more islands later with more/different content is inevitable. it woll happen and lets hope its good stuff. my experience so far with beta islands is good. plenty of room to stay hiden if not to busy. i am in a corp that does all aspects of the game. i must say this though. if a small grp is out lookin to gank someone they will haveno problems searching a whole island in less than 20 minutes. tha hs the potential to b very bad or very good in the future dependimg on what u rdoin atm. not sure what a fix could be though. when alot of corps r bunched together out there and we all in mechs. i dont really expect to see anyone from alpha trying to mine or rat in beta.so they will be somewhat segregated which will limit their access to game content.

40 (edited by Campana 2010-11-27 00:21:57)

CenDre wrote:

Exactly my point. With the 20 min time frame per island you can scout the entire pvp capable game works in under 2 hours. This is why i say the world is to small and needs to be enlarged.

This has been said already, but the game does not have enough population yet, therefore more islands are not necessary.

In fact, adding islands now would be a bad thing, because all the people who want to pvp will be scattered across a larger area and won't run into each other as much. That means less pvp and thus more people finding the game disappointing.

You are looking at it the wrong way round.

I think as the playerbase increases the devs will gradually add more land (or so I hope).

CenDre wrote:

It is my intention to simply point out that the VAST majority of players world wide are none pvpers

This game is not aimed at the vast majority of players. From the things other posters have said, there is room for non-PvPers in this game, because there are protected areas where they can spend all their time if they so wish.

CenDre wrote:

Every game ever published that depended on the "pvp market" has failed due to lack of subscribers.

The games you mentioned in your OP did not fail because they were PvP games. First, has Aion failed? Please provide statistics showing whether or not it is making a profit for NCSoft. Second, Mortal Online is lacking subscribers for various reasons, none of which are due to the fact that it is an open pvp game.

Edit: Had to check the OP for the other games you mentioned. I never played Shadowbane so I'm not sure why that closed down in the end. As for Darkfall, it's still going. You can't call it a raging success, but it hasn't collapsed yet. And again, it had a lot of flawed mechanics that put people off it, particularly when many of them thought it was going to be the next UO and it wasn't even close.

CenDre wrote:

Carebear gaming population world wide 99%

PvPer population world wide .50%

So I opened up this thread - scanned through and saw this - lol'd and started to write this reply.  As someone who works with statistics on a day to day basis (marketing research)- your educated statement above inspired me to not read anything you said and immediately label you an idiot (which 99% of others did too, and 0.50% read what you said).

Good day.

I'm not really sure why this thread was even made... This is a pvp-centric game with a hardcore consequence rule set. It revolves around fighting and controlling beta island resources.  This is one of the few games that caters to an under served market. There's plenty of product in the saturated carebear market..

Wouldn't expanding the number of zones now with the relative few number of players we have now make PvP difficult to find?  Right now there's three 'safe' zones and three full PvP allowed zones.  I think we should roll with this until the game seasons a bit.  Some people are going to play for a week and quit while others bring whole guilds over.  We have to wait and see what happens a little bit me thinks.

What are your views on PvP?     06/29/2003     3     42344     Open

I don't like PvP combat. - 22.1%
I think it is the best part about MMORPG's. - 41.4%
I don't care either way. - 36.5%

Taken from MMORPG.com's polls. With 42,344 votes. I'm no mathematician, but I can't find the 0.5% could you help point it out?

Oldest player still in the game. Perpetuum for life.
Original Founder of M2S, may it rest in peace. sad
"Hungarian Math" is defined by the dictionary as "Just like normal math, but where each equation ends by dividing the sum by Potato."
-Shoutout to "Stranger Danger" for the "potato" comment.

What we need is the ability to war dec!

Just found the game a few hours ago. Looks, or sounds, like a number of Eve players here. I started Eve at about the same point in its life. After 7 years 86% of the population spends its time in high sec. (PvE land , for the most part), never has been that great exodus to free for all land.

Generally speaking the core idea seems sound.  I would say based on my own gaming experience across several games I agree with the assessment of PvE = majority of the population and PvP = a minority.

Ensuring BOTH modes of play can thrive / survive = a healthy and growing  game for both modes of play.  A subscription fee is a subscription fee feeding the game for everyone.

As an aside relative to "carebears" and "PvPrs":  Some of the biggest carebears I've ever seen have been "hardcore" PvPrs by the way. lulz.  So, I rarely use the term "carebear".  PvE vs PvP says it better.

i would love to see the ability to war dec.. atleast we would nvr see m2s out of the stations.. u m2s guys would have so mny enemies u couldnt peak outside the sttion.. why u ask.. ur a bunch o cocky bstages. but cheers guess u earned that in open beta walkin round in heavies poppin light bots.anyhownow that thats out of the way. got a few things to say bout this thread. imho they need to open the pvp area up a bit. why. take eve for example. strted with about the same sub base but had about another 50 billion miles worth of exploration. wht would b so bad about havin to travel a bit or aactuaally search for ur prey. i ca deal with that. i currently live in beta and jus the other day saw the same grp every 10 minutes as they hoped from one iland to the next. unlike in eve its to ez. we need the care bears eve proved that. cant live without em. they supply us with much neded stuff and r ez targets for pretentious *** like some people i alrdy mentioned.  well just got a call gotta run will continue thislater. as a side note yes iknow how to spell and use punctuation. but im typing on a kindle which isnt ez.also. allopinions stated r absolutely true the facts and stats i jus pulled out of my ***. 

savin lives aint ez. taken em is. bring it

rockfist wrote:

i would love to see the ability to war dec.. atleast we would nvr see m2s out of the stations.. u m2s guys would have so mny enemies u couldnt peak outside the sttion.. why u ask.. ur a bunch o cocky bstages. but cheers guess u earned that in open beta walkin round in heavies poppin light bots.anyhownow that thats out of the way. got a few things to say bout this thread. imho they need to open the pvp area up a bit. why. take eve for example. strted with about the same sub base but had about another 50 billion miles worth of exploration. wht would b so bad about havin to travel a bit or aactuaally search for ur prey. i ca deal with that. i currently live in beta and jus the other day saw the same grp every 10 minutes as they hoped from one iland to the next. unlike in eve its to ez. we need the care bears eve proved that. cant live without em. they supply us with much neded stuff and r ez targets for pretentious *** like some people i alrdy mentioned.  well just got a call gotta run will continue thislater. as a side note yes iknow how to spell and use punctuation. but im typing on a kindle which isnt ez.also. allopinions stated r absolutely true the facts and stats i jus pulled out of my ***. 

savin lives aint ez. taken em is. bring it

lolwut.  Then we'd just stay off the alpha islands.  We pretty much live on beta, and only go to alpha to move to another island.  You talk like this would totally *** up our day, but it would be completely opposite.  We'd be *** the *** up of people on alpha of those we war dec'd.

Bring it.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

There are already too many safe areas on Beta Islands. Remove the protection zone from around Teleport Stations, tia.

Reactor......ONLINE
Sensors......ONLINE
Weapons......ONLINE
All systems nominal.