Re: Improving the Kernel research

Celebro wrote:
Gaulois wrote:

This is probably a stupid idea.... but what about a ''skill'' that allows you to slowly research stuff without kernels over time? Kernels would just accelerate the process.

But it will probably become too easy with that kind of system. So a credit cost for the research might become necessary.

Probably not a bad idea that's what I have been saying roll Time based skill to level up the tech tree. Using EP to buy kernals could also further your options with present system.

Been thinking about this system we have now, the biggest problem in the future when market is healthy and kernals have flooded the market. What would stop anyone from buying off all the research from market, getting T4 research done fairly quickly with a big wallet.

Doesn't this sound like buying your way into a heavy mech in a day?

Buying knowledge instead of finding it yourself... reminds you of the world as it is. Why spend millions on research when you can hire a hacker for a few thousand?

Here's the thing, ALL research is a solo thing, since it's per character. You simply can't do anything to speed it up for one player not in a corp, without it efftively changing it for a corp player.

Seperating out the research makes it much too easy, because much like Cable TV, 80% of the crap in the research line you don't really want anyway, so instead of using 1000 kernels to get through all (30) T2 items, it would be a bargin to only need 500 to do the (3) you want, and never go back for the rest.

To be positive though, maybe if you were allowed to specialize in a certain type of research, like there are specialized extensions for each mineral, that would encourage more than one research character instead of piling all of it into 1 as it is now.

Arga wrote:

Seperating out the research makes it much too easy, because much like Cable TV, 80% of the crap in the research line you don't really want anyway

LOL so true.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

I totally agree that kernel research needs improving, and that a specialty choice is a very good idea.

I’ll go even further than that, my dear industrious bees, and I’ll kick your hive by stating this obvious flaw in the kernel research system:

Currently only industrials can get a PERMANENT increase in ability (ie knowledge base), if they farm, grind, beg, steal or borrow kernels. The more time they spend playing, the greater their PERMANENT ABILITY (ie knowledge base) gets.

On the other hand, poor fighters can not obtain in anyway impacting way a permanent bonus of their own through playing, grinding, begging or stealing etc… they could eat the kernels they farm themselves but to what use is that? Someone whose specialty is breaking things doesn’t care about building things. 

The brave fighters, hard kernel gatherers, sweat and blood of the industrials’ “knowledge base”, for their work, receive a paltry sum of NIC, from the producers who’ll in time sell tiered items back to them with exorbitant margins.

Yes! A specialty choice when eating kernels is a good idea, but I suggest two schools.
1 INDUSTRY, as is the current system.
2 COMBAT, as I’ll describe here below.

You’re a fighter and you choose to let the industrials work for kernels themselves and keep the kernels for you and eat them with the COMBAT specialty. You start to receive PERMANENT combat bonuses of your own.

It doesn’t look good to call it the “PERMANENT combat bonus acquired through grinding day in and out”, just as the industrials’ permanent manufacturing bonus is called “knowledge base”, we could baptize this “Kung Fu Mind Power Base”.

So the “Kung Fu Mind Power Base” permanently acquired through eating kernels with the COMBAT specialty kernel eating choice; grants with time and many kernels; bonuses such as:

1)    Seeing how many players are on the island/ map quadrant / adjacent area. Not necessarily who or where, just how many.
2)    Seeing if there is Noralgis or not and if yes how much on the island / map quadrant / adjacent area.
3)    Can see trails of robot and maybe even identify the type and the amount that went past recently.
4)    Remotely (roughly) locate an agent on Nia.
5)    Become temporarily invisible to NPCs, dissipates if shooting locking repairing or scratching.
6)    Magic missiles and magic bullets, when you’re out of ammo you can load your Kung Fu Mind Slugs, (which are sub par to normal ammo made of titan and polynitrocol, but better than nothing).
7)    Self heal when out of combat for a prolonged time
8)    Discount when buying ammo from npc orders for a limited quantity of ammo

I want an autopilot so I can chat while I travel. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -a-review/ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I like the Idea of skills acquired through eating kernels. You should probably create a separate topic for this.

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

Gaulois wrote:

I like the Idea of skills acquired through eating kernels. You should probably create a separate topic for this.

Admittedly I derailed a bit off topic here.

I want an autopilot so I can chat while I travel. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -a-review/ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I don't agree in adding more layers of skills by means of grinding kernals. I just gonna end up like a grind fest like most mmos. These would have many implications and even make it harder for industrials to research them price will just be to high and even harder to beg for them. Its already harder with the kernal nerf.

RIP PERPETUUM

Jean,

The buff idea is nice, but not when it's tied to Kernels.

While it's true the indy player gets a permanent improvement, the indy player is also the one that provides the combat player with Tiered modules. If there was competition between combat buffs and research, in addition to a 50% drop rate, the availablity of said kernels would drop dramatically; making research even more difficult - and the availablity of tiered items for combat players to purchase rarer, meaning they would use the eating buff more to make up for not having tiered items...

As a non-indy player, you probably don't realize that just getting the 'permanent' research only allows you the opportunity to make a tiered item, it still requires time and materials to create the expensive Prototypes. If the game allowed you to produce an item for free after learning the research, I could see your point, but to turn it around - it would be like combat pilots having to kill 10000 mechs in order to drive a mech; but the game takes it easy on you and lets you just tick off seconds of game play and apply EP.