Re: A Dead Parrot's Lament

I agree that there needs to be more reason for PVP conflict, which is the 'fun' part, but it's just cross-over from Eve and historical momentum that define that needed conflict as 'roaming'. Pirate ganking, 1-2 bots out looking for indy is not a 'roam', and there doesn't need to be a game mechanic to motivate Pirates. Organized combat forces looking for battle, leaving their home base, is about bringing the fight to the enemy; while 'roam' has degraded more to looking for random targets that also just happen to be out running around.

You simply can't motivate players through game mechanics to just 'go running around'. Those players that want to do that already are. What I meant by larger area not working is now for those groups that are out just running around looking for random other groups, more area means less chance for them to meet. Also, somewhere along the way, it was decided that beta outpost owners should be supplying 'fun' pvp when ever players chose to roam over.

I'm a little hungry, so I tend to ramble, but the point I'm trying to make is that trying to motivate individuals into combat is like treating a symptom, the 'disease' is lack of corporate motivation; which if that is solved will generate strategic and tactical combat encounters that will keep PVP'ers happy.

52 (edited by Gut Punch 2011-06-02 20:32:42)

Mara Kaid wrote:
Gut Punch wrote:

AgY, as much as I respect 62nd for putting on the tourneys and people who have tried to setup on par fights outside stations or gates...  Structured PVP does nothing but benefit people with higher tier items and larger accumulated EP pools.

You're wrong, and you're thinking in a narrow mindset.

Tournaments provide people a place where they can think about fittings/mechanics and try out various ship setups. In this setting they get more then their corp members to offer advice.

Tournaments provide people a place to get to know others, a place to learn contacts for information on mechanics.

Tournaments can and have been run with lower skilled ep players putting them against eachother. We have lower and higher tier brackets.

You are right in that structured pvp isn't all of pvp, but it will surely help you for unstructured pvp, as it has me when I down mechs in light bots.

Oh I'm not overlooking the learning elements which structured events bring out.  The very reason we've had our guys go out to your events is because it exposes them to all the factors you have mentioned.

That does not change the fact that decisions are made on fittings and tactics because the event occurs at a specific date/time/location/arena size.  These decisions impact how things play out.  Thus it is an artificial construct when compared to the type of engagements we are hoping to get while we continue to gather resources and EP.

53 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-06-02 20:32:00)

Gut,

Actually I didn't know those things, only roughly knew numbers 10~15, had no complete intel on ship types, knew nothing of lwf/roaming fit, didn't know your exact location. Only knew it about 5 minutes before jumping in. I lterally logged in 10 minutes after death died.

Only new your location near koykill.

I'm sorry you perceive a small mech force as outforcing you, I've brought different ships to engage you and had a great time.

I will try to remedy this next time. By bringing lights if I'm in charge.

Syndic wrote:

Dear Pontifex,

Your in-depth analysis of our simple and honest agreement is quite disturbing in some respects. Meat shields, pets, taxes, grinding people out of the game, territory control, domination... is that all that is worthwhile focusing on in M2S? What happened to simply... enjoying the game and being happy with what you have?

That's what happened to it:

Syndic wrote:

Naturally when we're at war, "fair" is not an option to aim for. "Win" is a better and only acceptable option.

Doesn't have to prevent us from having fun though, does it?
It's all part of the sandbox. People sadly don't get that sometimes.

55 (edited by Gut Punch 2011-06-02 20:43:43)

Arga wrote:

Pirate ganking, 1-2 bots out looking for indy is not a 'roam', and there doesn't need to be a game mechanic to motivate Pirates. Organized combat forces looking for battle, leaving their home base, is about bringing the fight to the enemy; while 'roam' has degraded more to looking for random targets that also just happen to be out running around.

I think I have to disagree here.  First, if you can get lots of little groups out into the beta islands trying to do their own thing, then you have a better probability of running into someone.  It shouldn't just be massive corps out there because it means you need to have a similarly sized friends list to be effective (especially just starting out).

Truth be told, this "pirate" activity how I learned EVE pvp mechanics.  Tiberiuis, from FOOM, and I would grab our recons and headout into lowsec looking for a fight.  Sometimes we got industrials, as you put it, but the majority of the fights were with people also in small groups trying to do the same thing.  We won some and we lost some - but we had fun and we learned.

It would be unfortunate to bypass or ignore these similar experiences in Perpetuum because the same fun and learning can occur without needing a friends or corp list a mile long.  I believe that further encouraging smaller groups to head out into the betas would be a massive benefit to the longevity of the game.

MK, if not sure, just ask next time.

We went on roam, which by defintion equates to speed (LWF) fit.  1 light, 9 assault, 2 lt ewar.  We hit Immortal Death as we were roaming around.  He cried in general, and after we convinced him to communicate instead of just raging and ranting, he said a fair fight would be cool & ya, he had some friends that would come to make it a fair fight.

Our FC's told him where we would be, and we proceeded to wait.

Two assault bots also came looking for us nwar folks (Hiyate and Ultroth I think their names are) and they killed one of our assaults (explosion radius hurts) as we engaged them.  They actually could have run back though the teleport before they popped, but decided to fight instead.  Good Fights had in general chat afterwards as well with both of them.  They didn't know our size, just the fact that we were out and about on that particular island. 

Then, after waiting another 30 minutes, your guys show up.  5 mechs & 2 lt ewar.  Um, really?  Seriously, were we to think that we waiting for almost 45 minutes for a fair fight, this was fair?

So, if your guys ask for a fair fight, then show up with 7 vs 11 with such disproportionate sizes, along with the EP difference (3 weeks old vs beta players, right?) that what do you expect us to think and do?  We LOLed and walked away. 

So, next time, if your guys ask for fair re-match, and your not sure, just ask.  Your guys already had a chat open with one of our FC's to get our location after all. 

----

Back on real topic - so, how can we get more people out there for PVP?

57 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-06-02 20:57:03)

Thanks for giving me the info.

I wasn't aware.

Next time I will bring light bots, and a proper force.
----

more pvp = probably encouraging fun fights, and not zerging people out of stations, kind of what cir does in game while lying about it as well.

Mara Kaid wrote:

Thanks for giving me the info.

I wasn't aware.

Next time I will bring light bots, and a proper force.
----

more pvp = probably encouraging fun fights, and not zerging people out of stations, kind of what cir does in game while lying about it as well.

CIR this, CIR that...

... We zerg you 1 v 10. True story. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Gut Punch wrote:

Mara, if we tell you how many people, fit for roam, in assaults and lights are going to be at a particular spot while we twiddle our thumbs and you show up with 10 people in mechs, Mk2s, and heavy ewars...  yeah it is a bad fight.  Hence why structured pvp is a farce.

Grim Faust wrote:

After we killed Immortal, we offered your corp a fair fight. We stopped our roam and told you where we were. You knew what we had, where we were and you had our attention and invitation for a good time. Instead of bringing something when you actually had a genuine opportunity for a fair fight, your corp brought 5 mechs and 2 light ewar (some of which were MK2) to deal with 8 assaults and 4 lights with low EP and T1 gear.

I'm not sure what you Parrots want... pre-arranged fair fights?

Because the voices told me to do it.

What happened last night was a one off thing. When we go roaming, we go roaming to attack anything that we encounter.

During the end of our roam last night, we thought we'd try something different and offer 62nd an arranged skirmish. They knew what we had, we asked them to bring some friends and we'll have a showdown. They brought a lot more than we could manage with our squad, so the fight dissolved and both parties went home with nothing to show for it.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

I will admit we did have enough to win. however I will also admit you would have taken us down fairly well had you committed.

From a tactical stand point, if we were at war with 62nd, we might have stuck around to fight you. You're right as you said before, we might have been able to take a few of you down and caused you more in financial loss than you would have done to us even though we would have been wiped out. That's a small victory in defeat and a good tactic in a long term aggression.

Last night was nothing like that though. We just wanted to have some fun, toss the ball around with you guys. You brought the NFL all star team in comparison to our college team. Let's face it, the fun in competition is the winner is indeterminate, anything can happen. When the outcome is certain before the game begins, it's suddenly not all that entertaining anymore.

How come we take on nfl teams and win?

yarr

Mara Kaid wrote:

yarr

Same way everyone who plays Football Manager thinks they're better then Jose Mourinho. By winning in general chat nobody pays attention to. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:
Mara Kaid wrote:

yarr

Same way everyone who plays Football Manager thinks they're better then Jose Mourinho. By winning in general chat nobody pays attention to. lol

Jose Maurinho would fit in perfectly with M2S. lol

RIP PERPETUUM

Dadar wrote:

there is no problem there are hundreds and thousands of new players starting game everyday this is a nitch market the new player experience is not broken there is no inbalance in bots 9 out of 10 players stay in game. that that 100+ people you see in general is not accurate they didt code it right to show everyone to see real amount of players multiply the number by 10 thats the real number of people online at any one time you just dont see thos extra players cause they jumped off the content just before you jumped in.

The game is currently peaking at 260 users online. Users online

Gut Punch wrote:

It would be unfortunate to bypass or ignore these similar experiences in Perpetuum because the same fun and learning can occur without needing a friends or corp list a mile long.  I believe that further encouraging smaller groups to head out into the betas would be a massive benefit to the longevity of the game.

But, like I was saying there is no way to motivate small groups to head into beta for 'fun roams' other than for the fun of it, your corp and those like the 62nd are already doing that, so those that will - are.

What I'm proposing is not massive corporations or alliances locking down whole beta Islands, we've been there and that just leads to teleporter sitting burnout.

What I do mean, is exactly the concept that 'this worked in eve' so lets go ahead and try it here. While I believe that many things are universal to games, other things are not and strategies and need to adapt.

Corps like Foom and 62nd certainly have a place in the over all game, but the long term game health requires corporations willing to go the harder route of aggresively pursuing dominance in the game; and I'm not talking about M2s, I'm talking about 2 or 3 corporations with similar goals all competeing for the what ever 'shiny motivational' bauble the devs think up. Corps like CIR, currently, fall somwhere between as they have clearly indicated they don't wish to expand, but aggression and expansion are what drives conflict and results in pvp.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but you just want the 'fun' part of the PVP, without all the overhead of controlling area. That's OK, but some corp is going to need to DESIRE to control something for that fun to be ongoing.

Don't leave the game, we will need FOOM like corps, but right now the game needs more power block corps - and more soliders for those corps.

Grim Faust wrote:

From a tactical stand point, if we were at war with 62nd, we might have stuck around to fight you.

I'm not singling you out Grim or this particular FOOM vs 62nd, but this is what I mean by needing power block corps, where they WILL stick around to fight even if out numbered and lose as long as they think they can get a better NIC/Loss ration, which results in more PVP for everyone in the long run.

69 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-06-02 23:55:43)

I really don't know what's going to stimulate that notion to be completely honest. I hate to draw back on this subject, but it's quite pertinent as it's pretty much in relation to the only war (sadly) on our server. Most people think M2S' previous insurance fraud pretty much gave them an amount of resources that can't really be touched. Even by M2S' own claims, they're pretty much filthy rich. You don't just grind someone like that down. It's at a point where it seems like nothing short of catastrophe for them will change this situation. Something to the ends of social engineering, a huge corp theft, some new patch making their wealth less important. Who knows? What's certain, as long as that stigma of their warchest exists, our server is pretty much going to be in a deadlock until either M2S disappears as per previous noted situations, or everyone whom opposes them finally gives in to attrition.

I'm not going to speculate the results of either side. That's just my opinion from the sidelines.

Smokeyii wrote:

I can only think of one person in  in m2s the game and community wouldnt be beter off without.

Please do tell us who you're having a crush on. Could it be Alexander, you and Syndic can start a club?

It's just M2S making a 'claim', it hasn't really been tested, but I do tend to believe it mostly. But you're right, no single corp is going to grind M2S down, and even 2-3 aren't going to do it overnight. But it can happen, and that is one of the reasons why M2S isn't letting up, they aren't invincible YET, mostly because they don't have the man-power. On the other hand, if there aren't any incentives for other corps to do, what is going to amount to a terribly hard grind aginst them, then it is over, and all anyone can hope for are scraps of fights on deserted beta Islands.

Good lord arga. If you aren't an m2s alt, you've got your nose so far up siddys arse, the only thing keeping your entire head from slipping in is your ears!

Why on earth would anyone want to play m2's game? Play the way you want to.

Reset each other yet?

73 (edited by Arga 2011-06-03 05:07:06)

just reposting the same anti-M2S rhetoric isn't adding anything of substance.

If you want to make a point, say what the M2S game is, and what the alternative is, and I'll listen. But I'm no one's parrot, if I say I think the game needs more power blocks, its because that's what I think it needs to counter the M2S dominance. Troll or not, after your 'just play armadillo' until M2S wanders away bored post, I find it difficult taking anything you say seriously.

I guess you've never heard of misdirection. *hey, look a shiny!*

My plan was and is a valid gameplay option. The server decided they didn't want to take that approach, which is fine. My posts were designed to produce more then one result, and so far the others are working brilliantly.

Reset each other yet?

I think it would be fun if everyone with 150k ep or more only ran in lights/assaults on weekends for pvp.