Topic: Artifact first Impressions

Artifact charges come in (3) ranges, 5000 meter, 3000 meter, and 1000 meter; with current infinite sell orders of from 1500 NIC for the 5K to 300 NIC for the 1K.

I put a T4 LWF and Std Geo scanner in a Arkhe MK2, 99 Kph and loaded up with 100 rounds of each type of charge. I spent the EP and NIC to get Artifact Skill lvl 3; which raises the scan distance by 9%.

I undocked from TMA and headed generally toward the north and stopped around 1000 m from the outpost and did my first scan with the 5k; I got (3) results, one of which was a Theo laser site, about 4k away. Since my combat alt is in a Baphomet, I thought that this location could maybe have something interesting and useable.

While looking at the map, a few drones came out and reminded me that I need to keep moving, so I scooted, and there on the ground was a nice red beacon. I thought it would be on the map, but it is on the terrain.

I did the move and scan thing, and I generally moved toward NPC packs, assuming it would be under them, and the closest i got was 900 M.

After barely escaping from the Ewar demob, I parked a safe distance away. I figured it would be a waste of time, but I walked my very well geared and skilled combat assault out to the spot, but the pack was too big to clear solo.

I just logged back off frustrated.

Now, maybe one of the other 2 on the list weren't under NPC's, but looking at the map and distances, I doubt it. And again, all the packs were too big to actually 'clear' solo. Maybe if I put the scanner on the artemis I could have trudged into that big pack double plated, maybe, but I doubt that anything in the loot would have been worth getting killed for.

My first impression; I don't like it. I'll log back in Sunday and try a few more locations, I just hope that there are a few not surrounded by NPCs so a non combat solo player can get to it.

Also, be aware that scanning attracts NPC's from at least 700 meters. So even if you find one not 'under' a spawn, your going to have to scan and move alot.

Re: Artifact first Impressions

can't say that its that hard.
I took my Termis, a standard geoscanner (78% accuracy) and the  1km and 3km charges.
First scan with the 3km charges made me spot a nuimquol stash in 2km away from the terminal.

my first travel was a fail, and i lost the signal somehow.
second attempt was successfull (using the radar range indicator to see where it could be, and if you click on the groundplate of the last scan-indicator, you can compare the delta of the scanresult with the distance you traveled.

btw, all three results i got during the testing, have been far away from npc spawns.

The bad scan accuracy has a huge impact, especially when using the 5km charges. If you feaer demobs - take a laird or gargoyle, later a sequer mk2 or laird mk2.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

In my opinion this is a good point to team up on beta. We group up and going to find some bootey, killing guards. Just avoid observer protected spot, last night we got spawned Artemis Supreme Observer... that wasnt fun at all...

4 (edited by Syndic 2011-03-12 12:21:45)

This patch breathed a bit of fresh air into the game, but the extended downtime (we practically lost a day) was a bit of a downer.

The grind factor possibility (having to grind artifacts for Mk2 CT's) is a bit concerning if it proves that these Mk2 robots are required to be viable in PvP.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Arga: artifact positions are not connected to NPCs in any way, they are completely random (or well, taking reachable positions into account). They can even be right at your doorstep when you leave he terminal. Bad luck for you I'd say smile

DEV Zoom wrote:

Arga: artifact positions are not connected to NPCs in any way, they are completely random (or well, taking reachable positions into account). They can even be right at your doorstep when you leave he terminal. Bad luck for you I'd say smile

I got this impression when reading your notes on the new system, good too know Zoom. Still I will have to wait till next week to get in game to try this out.

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

I dont post often, despite the fact i play from CBT.  Those last weeks i was just logging in to spend EP and stay informed about intrusions etc...   Then i see:  a new feature that cater more to the solo players, more to the PVErs too. 

Good.   Maybe that will make me feel the game again. I must say also that im not the kind of players that reached "endgame". I dont have 50 T4 modules and bots for replacement. I dont have an alt (to me it looks like an obligation having one to have some fun in this game. In that case just sell 2 accounts pack for 16E lol).

So.  Im an EW specialized fighter. I run in a vagabond with T1 modules. Im poor and i feel like ive farmed enough kernels, especially now that sell price is so low. No money income except really slow farming then.

So i go for artifact hunt. First off i MUST spend EPs in mining to be able to do it.... why?  I wanted a FULL combat EP wise char.  Now its no more possible. Ok thats just 3,5k EP spend in that. It wont kill me.  What will kill me is understanding how boring and basic the concept is. And with 59% accuracy for my geoscanning... well you got it, the dissappointment was big.

Oh and it really looks like another feature that is far more effective in light EW fast bots. You wanted everyone not to run those bots..  well im not sure now.

AC, i guess im the exact type of player that is leaving perp those days. And ill tell you this: in my case, this wont be a "logging in again feature".

You let the bad guys go away with all the NICS while in the same time you nerf NIC incomes.   You make it that it will be far harder to get good module for casual players like me (T4 revamp). You make it that its impossible to have fun with only 1 account.

The only thing that refrain me from unsub is EP gain and the hope for a better future. We must be many in my case. All the "subscribed but not playing" guys. Its us you need to convince, not the M2S  bloodthirsty forumtrolls.

/crybaby mode off.

I had more than one artifact with more than 3u smile

Thanks for all the info, I was a little frustrated when I posted, so it was probably a little more negative vibe than I meant it to be.

Knowing its really random and not predesignated spots really lifts a big cloud. I will be able to give it a more complete run sunday.

Norrdec wrote:

I had more than one artifact with more than 3u smile

I was wondering about that. So a sequar could be a winner if you plan on hunting down more than a couple; maybe setup to tank instead of speed.

Termis/Riveler/Symbiont also work

I've been having LOADS of fun running around and scanning out these hidding gems, now if there just were a market that I could sell my loot to... Seems to be no one is buying T2+ mods on Alphas, or if they are, it's the basic "buying it for fraction of it's real price" thing...

Same on selling, I put up mods for sale for reasonable prices and they don't sell...

I agree that scanning is a lot of fun but there is no need for most of these items and thus no new markets have been created.

My suggestion to stimulate the market.

The Game

Ok, second impresion ...

I started scanning and found my first cache! 3 hours later I was still going. Which is saying something because I acutally lost my T3 fitted baph trying to get the second artifact. I think i would have been done, with the game not just the night, but I checked the market and there were actually T3 items for sale, at a reasonable price! Thank you who ever put them up, you saved me from making a mistake, because after i stopped trying to run 2 accounts (I just let the combat alt sit in the home base) scooting around and avoiding npc's became part of the fun of scavenging!!

I think my lesson here is the market really is important, and the availablity of replacement parts, to the playablity of the game.

I ended up buying a T3 scanner too, doing my part to revitalize the market, and I have to say getting the accuracy upto 90% made a HUGE difference in how fast i was able to hone in. The unti was 1.5M the T4 was there for 5M, but I wouldn't say it was necessary.

All told, I didn't find anything of great value; lots of flawed T0 items. Not counting the assault or the new scanner, I would say it was about break even. That is 3 hours with no profit, but it was still fun, and there could always be something of value in that next cache...

TL;DR I highly recommend this activity, but if your accuracy is less than 70%, be prepared to waste a lot of time (30% of 5000 is 1500 M you can be off on the first scan) until you get close. And don't skimp on the 1000 M charges, if your not using at least 10 your just making it harder than it needs to be.

As a side note, if your accuracy is high enough, scan and move 100 M and scan again. Any change greater than + 50M is a good direction, the closer to +100 the more directly you are aligned. If your less than +50, turn 45 degrees and move 50M. If your delta is negative, go back to your previous red marker and turn the other direction. Also, use your distance meter on the radar set to topology, the artifact could be on the other side of impassable terrain.

The less accurate your %, the further you have to move to eliminate the error margin sad

Happy hunting!

For people new to this I would advise them to look into trigonometry a little. At 90% accuracy you really shouldn't need to do more than five scans. One gets position, another shows direction and distance, after that it's just maths. One trick is to bookmark your first scan with the distance. Make your second scan and bookmark again with distance. Use your radar distance circle to help but when your at the correct distance to both switch to tens and you have a bingo.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

I just like clicking the button alot smile

Your method is definetly more economical.

I searched down a Observer III on ICS Alpha tonight. It required being less than 40 M to discover. Being in the Argano, I did the scan and was ready to immediately select the container and hit 'v' and 'g' and auto ran like the water bottle I was.

Spawned (2) grand observers, an Artemis and a Baphomet, the loot from the container wasn't anything special, Flawed med plate and fair amount of ammo, but it small laser ammo.

They despawned ... I think it was about 15 min. I did get a few shots in on it, but I don't think I could have killed it with my Artemis alone, between the ECM and the magnetic FU ray, it's nothing to sneeze at.

Has anyone on Alpha got a nice drop yet?

Level 1 caches are 100m
Level 2 caches are 50m~
Level 3 caches are 25m

These are the ranges you have to scan from them to active them. I think the shorter range scans should increase your accuracy and the longer range scans decrease your accuracy. With level 5 extensions and a T4 scanner you always have over 100% by a long way.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

Level 1 caches are 100m
Level 2 caches are 50m~
Level 3 caches are 25m

These are the ranges you have to scan from them to active them. I think the shorter range scans should increase your accuracy and the longer range scans decrease your accuracy. With level 5 extensions and a T4 scanner you always have over 100% by a long way.

wrong, if your not in an argano or termis.
Any other bot gets only 84% accuracy with a T4 scanner and lvl5 extensions

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Level 1 caches are 100m
Level 2 caches are 50m~
Level 3 caches are 25m

wrong, if your not in an argano or termis.
Any other bot gets only 84% accuracy with a T4 scanner and lvl5 extensions

Some of it do it right and use a shield tanked termis. Others use a speed fit cameleon and struggle to find the last location to trigger it.

The Game

Final observation -  Alpha

I have found a fair number of caches now, and only a couple I searched for were under NPC's, so really it is entirely feasible for solo players to do. It is even possible to do the level III infestation caches, you just need to be ready to grab the loot and run.

Reward wise, I did get a couple of T3- items, but what I liked most is the items do not need to be repaired. This is really a boon to the new player. You can find modules to make test fits with, even if they are flawed, to see how they work without having to buy it. It won't hurt the market, because they will eventually buy the std or tiered item to replace the flawed.

And, as a bonus, you can also get Med. items from lvl 2,3.

Keep in mind, if your an advanced player, the items you find on Alpha are going to be mostly useless (not bad, just no use to you), and you have a better chance of getting better stuff from the beta hunting.

TL;DR - Great for industrial players to get lower level items without needing combat, and for combat players to get starter replacement gear; and bonus items. As a souce of NIC, its too random, transport missions are better but this is certainly more entertaining. If you need cash, run missions, if you want diversion, play artifact lottery.

A shielded Termis would be great for Beta. Just want those new players to know that the Argano works just fine, and you can usually get 3-4 caches before the cargo is full. Lots of caches are by outposts, so you can drop off items and gather them later, or recycle items you don't want, to save space.

Just a side note, if you get a juicy Tiered item, it could be worth dropping it off... just in case.

If you don't have NAV skill up to 10, you can compensate with Tiered LWF. 70 kph (Argano w/STD LWF Nav 10 and geoscanner only) is fast enough to get away from anything. But i was also doing OK at 57 kph, you just can't run through mobs unless your 70+.

GET NAV 10, it will serve you well for the whole game.

Thanks for the range info, great to know!

I'm really likin this 'Artifact' aspect of the game. Thnx Devs big_smile    My first expidition involved a Sequer fitted with a named geoscanner. Did alot of runnin around and almost lost muh 'fatboy' Sequer to some light demobilizing bots but eventually got away... but hey! I found some cool stuff.

Today I fitted a Waspish. I  uncovered a Numiquol Infestation III Artifact and to my surprise - a Arby and a Mesmer spawned. I initially began to run but decided to go back and fight. Fun, Fun, Fun... eheh got me a 'Niana' (think thats how you spell it) small armor repairer and some other nice stuff.

Thumbs up on this one Devs!!!

Arga wrote:

...snip!

After barely escaping from the Ewar demob,
...snip!
the pack was too big to clear solo.

I just logged back off frustrated.
...snip!
And again, all the packs were too big to actually 'clear' solo.

Have you thought of teaming up with some friends? Look at Cobalt's rant about him being a fighter and not wanting to aquire industry skills. Send him an invite next time you go artifact hunting.

I want an autopilot so I can chat while I travel. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -a-review/ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Started scanning on Sunday and had a blast. Not a lot of quality gear, but enough to pay for my charges and a bit of profit.