1 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-02-25 13:55:09)

Topic: Deployable Turrets.

Greetings.

I think this game requires player deployable turrets. Why? Miners on beta island is totally unprotected, they cant protect themself... yes, I know they can mount even a medium gun on Argano, but this is rediculous and wont save them. Players cant camp 24/7 on the teleport stations, they cant always protect miners because they might play in different time and maybe do something else, like go hunting NPCs, do missions or go for PvP. Fighters cant maintain safety of miners all the time. Some players use guerrilla tactics or even gank alone when there is no combat players around.

Thats why deployable turrets needed. The mechanic of it is simple: Only industrial robots could able to carry a turret because of size (about 10-20UA). Only 2 turrets can be placed in the 500m radius. Turrets cant be deployed near the teleport stations or outpost, maybe about 500m limit for outposts and 1km for teleports. Turrets could be different types: light (2 small guns and 1k HP), medium (4 small guns, 2k HP) and heavy (2 medium guns, 3k HP). Each turret can be armed with each types of weapons, EM guns, lasers and so on. Turrets have cargo hold for ammo and for fuel it consumes each time, for example each 30 minutes. Price for each type turret should be 250k (L), 500k (M), 1mil (H). Turrets shoot targets according to relations of the player during deployment, you just select who to attack, neutrals, yellow and red players.

Such turrets should have increased range and damage to be effective. 1 light turret should be able to destroy a light bot in 1vs1 combat. To fight turrets players should gather in gang or even use mechs. That might finish the era of light bots gankers.

If developers will find out this idea suitable and approve it, but too busy to make it, I could help with it, Im familiar with 3D Studio MAX, I can model and animate it.

Re: Deployable Turrets.

turrets will be fun idea cuz they will add some new tacticz and sorta. just need to be limited somehow in numbers - no need to build them all over the island ^^

Have a productive day, Runner

3 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-02-25 14:18:33)

Actually this is bad idea to put turrets everywhere on island because of:

1. You will get tired of running to refill the fuel.
2. Roaming NPCs will destroy them.

Only mine when you have protection?

5 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-02-25 15:49:06)

That means "Play only when others playing". If that so miners will leave this game.

UPD: In EvE mining ships are able to use 5(!) combat drones to protect themself. And there is doplyable turrets too. But in EvE other players can warp to you in dosen seconds if there is any threat, but our bots cant jump for such distance.

Kristan Delorian wrote:

That means "Play only when others playing". If that so miners will leave this game.

UPD: In EvE mining ships are able to use 5(!) combat drones to protect themself. And there is doplyable turrets too. But in EvE other players can warp to you in dosen seconds if there is any threat, but our bots cant jump for such distance.

in other words: if you did not somehow tank your mining mech to survive more then 10minutes, your dead.

noone can reach you that fast, nor can you escape. The only methods to do so got nerfed down to unusable: mobile teleport beacons.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

This is not all about protecting mining mechs but important roads too. And not all miners good enough to set shields, armor plates. What to do for other miners? Do not play? Wait for EP to come? Why to put sticks in miners wheels?

put combat mechs next to you while you mine this game is about playing when others are playing its Massively Multiplayer. If miners leave then mineral value increases so people start mining to make all that sweet sweet mineral money

As I told before sometimes miners mine where's NO other players around to protect. They aren't online. Different time zones for exaple. Think wider.

Thread requires deployable turrets to protect from Hijacking.

Turrets wouldn't really do what you are asking for here, which is to create a safe zone to mine in.

The greatest weakness is that the turret would be stationary, so to realize the effect, you would need to stay in the area. If you try to leave, the aggressor can kill you without having to deal with the turret, but if you stay, they can attack the turret instead.

Any defensive item like this that would be capable of withstanding an extended attack would be way too overpowered. So eventually an attacker is going to over come the turret and kill you anyway.

About the only thing it 'could' be useful for would be defense against a solo light fast roamer, but a sheild would also protect you from that, but better because you could also run away to safety.

Deployable drones, modified NPC's, would be more suited to the game. Although it would require the dev's to write a new AI script to provide defensive behaviour. The problem would be that deploying a NPC Prometheus type drone would have to be priced in the Millions of NIC, and would be a one-time shot; there isn't a game mechanism to put one back in inventory once its deployed on the field.

The obvious exploit for deployable drones is 2-3 Sequar loads dropped at a SAP point by Beta corps with more money than active players.

12 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-02-25 20:17:04)

Turrets will have increased range, like about 200m. And so if enemy wont attack turrets but waiting outside of its range? Miner will call for help or even do logoff. Medium turrets would be able to handle few lights or even assault bot. Especially rocket turrets will be effective because of ignoring landscape.

Yeah, enemies could attack miner first, but if there is two turrets standing close to it... attackers will have heavy casualties before they will finish with miner. So for successfull attack they need to be in many numbers, not just 3 light bots.

make friends in your timezone?

make game comfortable for all?

Kristan Delorian wrote:

Turrets will have increased range, like about 200m. And so if enemy wont attack turrets but waiting outside of its range? Miner will call for help or even do logoff. Medium turrets would be able to handle few lights or even assault bot. Especially rocket turrets will be effective because of ignoring landscape.

Yeah, enemies could attack miner first, but if there is two turrets standing close to it... attackers will have heavy casualties before they will finish with miner. So for successfull attack they need to be in many numbers, not just 3 light bots.

You missed the point, any turret capable of defeating an assult bot would be way to over powered. In PVE, in my assault, I can take on 3-4 other assaults without ever taking damage using the lock-break dodge in/out manuver. My assault also has a 203M range with fallout damage out to 300M. I can just stand out of range and kill the turret, eventually. EW can use ECM to break the turret lock and kill it while still within its range.

Let me repeat, in case you choose to come back with changes to range or something, it is not possible to create turret to provide area security without making it over powered.

The best you could hope for is to allow you 60-90 seconds of defense.

Also, because I've seen this arguement too many times on the forums, anything that would allow you to 'escape' by logging off would never be implemented. The most prominent issue was the 'deleting cargo' arguement, which would also mean that any turret activety would probably end up putting you into combat also, so you couldn't delete your cargo before being blown up.

Basically, anything that would stop you from getting ganked will be the target of a massive PVP anti-feature forum campaign.

As a solo miner I find it unfair that people have friends and choose to use combat robots I propose a Time out module that freezes all robots that aren't me so I can get away

Arga wrote:

Basically, anything that would stop you from getting ganked will be the target of a massive PVP anti-feature forum campaign.

thats true if the material gathering stays at it is now - stationary, time intensive and boring.

Dont do a weed -
stop posting if you have nothing constructive to say

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

18 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-02-25 21:06:27)

Anyway there must be something allows to provide more defense on the beta without other players. Lot of players complaining now about lack of turrets and they are almost on the boiling point to ragequit this game. Do devs want that? I dont think so.

They pushed us on beta so hard, but there is no ways to help to protect it. I still remember the time when me and my corp started to mine with protection there came lots and lots of termises from other corps to mine because they didnt had any protection. Whould they play only for that happy moments. No.

19 (edited by Dont do a weed 2011-02-25 21:58:23)

Annihilator wrote:
Arga wrote:

thats true if the material gathering stays at it is now - stationary, time intensive and boring.

Dont do a weed -
stop posting if you have nothing constructive to say

You'll make moderator in no time keep it up.

No one is forcing you to mine on a beta if it isnt worth losing your bot for then dont do it, if you cant find protection then don't mine, there are always the alpha islands

the more friends you bring, the more desperate roaming groups you will attract...

if your group big enough to defend against an intakt roaming group, they will come back with a mech group, because they have nothing else to do, and they know your location.

hurray, at the end, nothing changed.

that falls into the more landmass and content argument

the use of a scout with a signal detector can alert the miners and get them out of dodge, if they aren't near a station that's the risk they took.

Can't throw an arkhe on the teleporter to monitor traffic? Thats the risk they took

If it isn't worth it don't do it, Mine on alpha if you don't want disturbances, mine close to your station if you want to be able to run, Bring protection if you don't want to have to run.

This entire idea is based on this guy not having friends that play on his timezone to protect him yet his enemies have enough friends on all the time to destroy mining mechs I feel he is doing something wrong

Anni,

Its true. PVP players are starving/desperate for combat. This is also why more land won't solve the issue either. PVP players will roam in fast bots all day looking for miners to gank, or even better protected miners that will give them a good fight.

They are just looking for a good fight, I don't blame them as that is their game, but if miners wanted to fight they would have combat characters.

Something else in the game needs to change, not turrets sorry, to generate more combat for PVP players to pull them away from the miners in general. Basically to create some breathing room for miners to operate with some chance of sucess.

As it is now, the only space a miner gets is to wait for the ever decreasing number of PVP players to get bored and quit, or find a dead spot in the beta logins to exploit. Even then the other islands will roam over looking.

As Alex said in anther thread, the only action they get now days is the odd sequar of miner that doesnt read the intel channel.

Really, how many times does the game expect miners to undock and get blown up before they to just stop undocking; the CEO's are probably also frustrated because they aren't getting the ore they need so the whole Corp is under pressue. Or the CEO just stops logging in also, and the corp members stop logging in too, both combat and miners.

The situation is coming to a head. If the next patch doesn't correct the current trend, we can expect players to just stay with away until maybe the next patch, but it will certainly be dead between.

You could add an AOE demob if you really wanted beta island traffic control yarr

Dont do a weed wrote:

that falls into the more landmass and content argument

the use of a scout with a signal detector can alert the miners and get them out of dodge, if they aren't near a station that's the risk they took.

Can't throw an arkhe on the teleporter to monitor traffic? Thats the risk they took

If it isn't worth it don't do it, Mine on alpha if you don't want disturbances, mine close to your station if you want to be able to run, Bring protection if you don't want to have to run.

This entire idea is based on this guy not having friends that play on his timezone to protect him yet his enemies have enough friends on all the time to destroy mining mechs I feel he is doing something wrong

Not every player in the game has friends playing. People join corps to help meet people, but if your corp is barren, no one else is going to come help you. If someone has a lot invested in a corp, they aren't going to just up and leave; the downside to communal corps, you get everything but you have nothing to take with you. So there it is. Players have 3 choices, suck it up and do what you can solo, change guilds and start over, or just log off.

Way too many people are choosing option 3.

If your corp can't protect your ops get a better corp or mine on alpha